• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Terenty

Do you genuinely believe the graphics are "kinda shitty" or are you just being a contrarian?

Serious question.

I think so, yeah. The textures are low res, especially noticeable in the distance, the grass appers literally 5 meters before you.

And the area in the third chapter, the desert, looks ugly.

I'm actually surprised by seemingly unanimous praise for the graphics.

Could you explain what's so great about it?

Again, i'm a fan of Kojipro, there is nothing malicious about my comments.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
These are the best graphics ever. The view distance and vistas are imcredible. Th lighting and characters are the best I've seen. I swear I am looking for mp4 artifacts when these cutscenes are playing. Diehardman eyes are impossibly good looking

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think so, yeah. The textures are low res, especially noticeable in the distance, the grass appers literally 5 meters before you.

I've never seen this happen... Is it a difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro or something?

Wink

Shrap

I don't know if there's an issue with your PS4 or what, but this simply isn't true. Pop-in isn't an issue and the textures are for the most part very high res.

You can see the pores on Sam's skin, the creases and folds in Fragile's outfit, the detail in scenery and buildings is all high resolution. Check out the water, it's some of the best I've ever seen. Incredibly realistic in it's movement, physics and reflections. Have a look at the textures on your cargo. Especially as it erodes and rusts.

If that's all still low res or not visible to you and you are experiencing pop-in with grass appearing 5 metres before you then there is either an issue with your version of the game or your PS4.

Last edited:
Yeah I started pressing the left stick on everything. I’m definitely not going to miss everything the game has to offer ;p

Also, random tips:

Try salute every npc courier, good things will happen if you do it and approach them

Try holding triangle before stealth into an enemy camp ( this one I still have to try, I've read it on another place) to drop every carried item

Fast exoskeleton make Cliff and river jumps much more fun and easy

Standard bikes can carry items, long distance ones can't because of the extra batteries storage

Walk-walk-walking on Bridges Door, hey-hey-heeEEEEyyyyyy.

Putting it down after 4 days, but I got an insane supply chain with bridges between myself and the other Porters- going. Will start again this weekend. Need to let it sit for a bit then get back in there.
Love this game, want to see the story conclude. So I will be avoiding them. (spoilers)

Last edited:

Verdanth

Been roaming in chapter 3 and...

Spotted out of nowhere two porters that I was about to shot. Though they were mules. I really thought there weren't any friendly NPC's in the game world.

Last edited:

Freeman76

This is such an amazing game! Without spoilers, how far is chapter 5? I dont want to suddenly hit the credits, and Chapter 3 was a good 12 hours or so for me, whereas Chapter 4 was like 20 mins lol.

Mista

Banned
Also, random tips:

Try salute every npc courier, good things will happen if you do it and approach them

Try holding triangle before stealth into an enemy camp ( this one I still have to try, I've read it on another place) to drop every carried item

Fast exoskeleton make Cliff and river jumps much more fun and easy

Standard bikes can carry items, long distance ones can't because of the extra batteries storage
I traded with other NPC porters. Yes holding triangle offloads everything but I don’t recommend it unless you’ll be very close to your cargo

Holdfing

This is such an amazing game! Without spoilers, how far is chapter 5? I dont want to suddenly hit the credits, and Chapter 3 was a good 12 hours or so for me, whereas Chapter 4 was like 20 mins lol.

It took me ~41 hours to finish the game. Heard others finish it around the same time as well. Pretty much only did story missions. The are 14 Chapters I think? Some long, some short. I don't think it took me 12 hours to finish Chapter 3, though.

Terenty

I don't know if there's an issue with your PS4 or what, but this simply isn't true. Pop-in isn't an issue and the textures are for the most part very high res.

You can see the pores on Sam's skin, the creases and folds in Fragile's outfit, the detail in scenery and buildings is all high resolution. Check out the water, it's some of the best I've ever seen. Incredibly realistic in it's movement, physics and reflections. Have a look at the textures on your cargo. Especially as it erodes and rusts.

If that's all still low res or not visible to you and you are experiencing pop-in with grass appearing 5 metres before you then there is either an issue with your version of the game or your PS4.

No, the details are great, im talking more about textures in the distance, with visible repeated tiles.

But i was harsh actually saying the second map looks ugly. After playing more i'm actually coming around to liking it. But green hills in the background do look low res and out if place in the desert.

Also, the game has been great so far. Its like it jumped straight out of golden age of gaming when devs weren't pressured to churn out the same shit ad nauseum and could express their creativity.

Too bad game journos are a fucking joke nowadays

Shrap

No, the details are great, im talking more about textures in the distance, with visible repeated tiles.

But i was harsh actually saying the second map looks ugly. After playing more i'm actually coming around to liking it. But green hills in the background do look low res and out if place in the desert.

Also, the game has been great so far. Its like it jumped straight out of golden age of gaming when devs weren't pressured to churn out the same shit ad nauseum and could express their creativity.

Too bad game journos are a fucking joke nowadays
Glad you are digging the game. If you are still having pop-in issues you should check if your game is patched? I think there was only a day one patch but maybe yours isn't up to date.

Last edited:

nowhat

If this is anything like HZD, elements far away are replaced with 2D renditions of themselves. In case of HZD, it was trees - here, probably terrain. So sure, there may be some repetition. But honestly, the draw distance, even with fog and whatnot, is insane for current gen consoles.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished...
That was a journey like no other. Oh my god... Still wrapping my head around the ending. Send help.
This game has a soul and its something else... Kojima outdid himself.
The graphics in those last cutscenes too (and all game really)... These people look and act real. We will not see better graphics soon. It was photorealistic and I could not believe that this is running in real time... Let alone on ps4. Everything looked amazing but I swear... Die hardman is the best looking game character ever created. His last scenes are breathtaking. The skin shading and motion... Wow. The acting should win him an oscar in that one scene.
53 hours... 53 hours of graphics impossible on ps4, soul, atmosphere and addicting gameplay. Cmon what magic is this. I cant get over it. Lol bless ya all !
And Ive even got 30k likes from other online players. My bridges were popular it seems :p

Edit: oh wait. 2 stars, boring walking sim

Last edited:

mekes

I know what type of games I like and this game isn’t it. That’s what I should be saying, but for some reason this game is winning me over. I shit posted about the game prior to release. Once I bought it I tried to give it a fair go and not judge it too harsh too quick. Now I’m enjoying it and glad I bought it. Fair play. I cant quite word yet what it is that I like so much. I know what annoys me in most games and this game, I should have grown bored of it by now. But the more I play the more I like it.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
They’re in your private locker. If you pick them up and still don’t see them, hold the right d-pad and keep clicking R3 till you find them

From the number of bridges crossing chasms, it feels like people are missing out on the bike being able to jump big gaps if you boost and hit certain ramps
Alright, so I just helped out the junk dealer and transported the chiral artist back to him. What's the deal with her voice actor? She is absolutely awful. Her English is really bad (she has all of the unintentionally humourous mispronunciations that Japanese people have when they start learning English) and is obviously just straight reading her lines without knowing what they mean. Really ruins what is supposed to be an emotional moment; especially when the junk dealer has a great VA. It felt completely out of place when the casting has been so good so far.

Other than that still ripping it up building, delivering and punching out MULEs. What a game.

That arc is pretty hilarious. I’m pretty sure Sam’s mute, squinty eyed reaction to everything in that sequence onward mirrors the player’s reaction.

Atrus

Gold Member
Is there a way to check how many hours you've played or a game time counter somewhere?

If you click on your name in the Bridge Link list (ie. the one that shows all the players you’re connected to and their likes) you’ll see a detailed account of your adventures including the game time.

Last edited:
Don't be like me. Pay attention to what you're doing so you don't have to trek across the map because you forgot something.

By the way, about late chapter 3 regarding a thing that goes boom:

I was near the tar pit carrying the nuke when i remembered i had to speak with fragile. I wonder what would have happened if i had thrown the nuke in the tar pit before talking to her. I should've tried.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't be like me. Pay attention to what you're doing so you don't have to trek across the map because you forgot something.

By the way, about late chapter 3 regarding a thing that goes boom:

I was near the tar pit carrying the nuke when i remembered i had to speak with fragile. I wonder what would have happened if i had thrown the nuke in the tar pit before talking to her. I should've tried.

You’re save prior should be in there to retry if you haven’t deleted it.

Shrap

Well, I know those that call it a walking sim definitely haven't played chapter 4. Hooree shitto that was crazy. What was up with that tank? It was covered in tentacles and guts and whatever else. Insane.

Casting Mads and Norman was the perfect choice. So good.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
buy the way if throw a grenade on bt and shoot trough the blood smoke with normal bullets you do more damage

edit: also bt cycle is every 10min. you can avoid them by building a time fall shelter and skip 10 min. that's why sometimes there is rain but no bts

edit2:
hold Square and scroll down or up for fast selection.(reddit)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
22 hours in and still having a blast in Chapter 3, although I'm finally doing more story missions. The game really does just keep getting better in my mind...

One question, though, but how do you get points towards the speed stat? I can haul ass to complete a mission, but the stat doesn't budge.

-Arcadia-

Banned
22 hours in and still having a blast in Chapter 3, although I'm finally doing more story missions. The game really does just keep getting better in my mind...

One question, though, but how do you get points towards the speed stat? I can haul ass to complete a mission, but the stat doesn't budge.

This.

I’m still at zero. I kinda felt a little disappointed that I wasn’t good enough to even move the needle on the stat, despite I thought, delivering them as fast as I could under the constraints. Am I doing it wrong?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This.

I’m still at zero. I kinda felt a little disappointed that I wasn’t good enough to even move the needle on the stat, despite I thought, delivering them as fast as I could under the constraints. Am I doing it wrong?

I'm starting to wonder if it only moves when doing the missions that have time limits...

-Arcadia-

Banned
Self-esteem restored. Plus, I like not having to rush my regular missions, so that’s kind of a relief. That’s a really good way of doing it, with special, fun time trial missions.

Tiamat2san

I am not sure that I am playing the same game.
I love it, really.
I play on pro and on 65 inches oled screen.
Some textures are not that great.
The skins are like wax.
A lot of pop up
And Jesus the frame rate tanks really hard sometimes.
When there are multiple mules or worst on a bike full speed during rain on a road it goes 20 FPS !
a lot of frame pacing issue too.
I spoke with a colleague who is playing it too. He has the same problems.

i loooove the game but it’s not The technical Masterpiece everybody says.

Last edited:

Wink

I am not sure that I am playing the same game.
I love it, really.
I play on pro and on 65 inches oled screen.
Some textures are not that great.
The skins are like wax.
A lot of pop up
When there are multiple mules or worst on a bike full speed during rain on a road it goes 20 FPS !
I spoke with a colleague who is playing it too. He has the same problems.

i loooove the game but it’s not The technical Masterpiece everybody says.
Base PS4, zero pop in. Textures are as good as it gets in a game of this scale. Not every rock is perfect, fine, but the amount of detail the hardware has to render at all times is bonkers. Framerate can go down on roads at high speed, but those are very short bursts and elsewise fps is solid 30, dips like two frames in cutscenes, sometimes. Can understand not appreciating the art direction, but technical aspects are not up to taste.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The skins are like wax.
A lot of pop up

Huh... I've been playing for over 20 hours now and haven't seen any of this. I'm usually pretty sensitive to technical issues and performance stuff, too. PS4 Pro here.

Top Bottom