• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver is pulling Metro Exodus from Steam, makes it Epic store exclusive.

GrayChild

There's only one thing I'm not yet sure about. What will happen with the limited boxed Aurora Edition for PC? Will these ship with EGS keys or Steam ones?

The worst is that you are still lucky you Americans ... You will pay the game cheaper (49.99 $) while we Europeans will pay the game 59.99 € (= 68 $) or 49.99 £ (= $ 65) ... We have absolutely nothing to gain from going to the epic store ...

There's only one thing I'm not yet sure about. What will happen with the limited boxed Aurora Edition for PC? Will these ship with EGS keys or Steam ones?

All keys will be epic game store keys ... ( From 4A games facebook but they delete the comment...)

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I understand the complaints, but Origin, Uplay, Windows Store and Bethesda's Launcher is equality garbage. Why aren't people complaining about these stores as much as Epic's Store? It's launcher hell on PC at the moment.

Nydus

Yeah I don't care about the launcher. Most things I just add to steam form the controller support anyway.

Furthermore I'll take my time with exodus. I think I will be way to addicted to anthem to have time for metro :p

GrayChild

All keys will be epic game store keys ... ( From 4A games facebook but they delete the comment...)

Yup, saw that. An earlier tweet in the game's official profile claims that the Aurora Edition pre-orders will have Steam keys inside, so I really don't know what I'll get.

- Are the physical edition pre-orders getting a Steam key, while the discs printed after the game's premiere ship with EGS keys?
- Are the Aurora Edition boxes the only versions which are getting a Steam key, while the regular versions get shafted?
- The physical edition preorders I saw are including a poster which still contains the Steam logo. Is it just a placeholder, while the final design is different?
- It's almost 2 weeks before release now? Shouldn't all physical pre-order copies be sent to the pressing plant for mastering already?

Three

I understand the complaints, but Origin, Uplay, Windows Store and Bethesda's Launcher is equality garbage. Why aren't people complaining about these stores as much as Epic's Store? It's launcher hell on PC at the moment.
Exactly, people keep talking about promoting 'consumer choice' but there has been a a massive shift to vendor lock in and removal of choice with nobody batting an eye.

Sophist

They can, they do and they easily will in the future.

Xi Jinping will get rid of Valve in favor of Tencent, he already started maneuvering by enforcing the approval of any online game by the government. Most of Steam market grow of these last years came from China.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's pretty fucked up.

I guess we're back to the old days where every launcher now has exclusive titles. Shame, still not enough for me to get an Epic Games account or care about them at all.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Exactly, people keep talking about promoting 'consumer choice' but there has been a a massive shift to vendor lock in and removal of choice with nobody batting an eye.

I forgot to mention Battle.net which is pretty much the same launcher as Epic's. Never mind the best selling PC games usually aren't even on Steam.

Kadayi

Banned

Probably because they're not swooping in and aggressively taking games off of Steam and wrapping up 3rd parties into exclusivity deals.

I forgot to mention Battle.net which is pretty much the same launcher as Epic's. Never mind the best selling PC games usually aren't even on Steam.

Like GTA V? Skyrim? Fallout?

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Probably because they're not swooping in and aggressively taking games off of Steam and wrapping up 3rd parties into exclusivity deals.

Like GTA V?

Red Dead Redemption 2 and the next GTA will be Rockstar Club exclusives if Epic doesn't fix a deal with them. When GTA V was released the major shift had yet to happen. These games should easily stand on their own, and people will move to whatever launcher to get them.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Would be curious to know how much Epic are paying developers for going exclusive

Apparently, they are guaranteeing them a certain amount of money during the exclusivity period based on what was said by another developer, in line with expected sales., So say for example your project was projected to sell 10000 units a month but only sold 6000, Epic would cover the shortfall.

Helios

Red Dead Redemption 2 and the next GTA will be Rockstar Club exclusives if Epic doesn't fix a deal with them. When GTA V was released the major shift had yet to happen.
Than your other statement doesn't really make sense. You're saying the best selling games are not usually on Steam but than you say it's because those games haven't been released on PC yet?
Still, I agree. Bethesda and Rockstar are now probably going to release their games on their own platforms from now on so that they can take all the profits. Probably why Steam made that statement where they're taking less of a cut for selling over 10/50 mil. We'll see where this is going. As consumers, we're just stuck in the middle. There's absolutely no benefit from this (Unless you're from US, I guess)

Meh3D

Can't blame the devs/pubs for jumping ship. The fee difference is huge. Costumers will follow, especially which this amount of games switching. They're will always be a few stubborn ones who'll stick with one launcher (a kind of console warrior but on PC).

I've got to applaud Deep Silver for passing on (part) of the savings to the customer.

Right. This fucks more with the people on Steam who preordered the game more so than Steam; they have nothing to do with Steam or the Steam stores developer business practice.

This was poorly thought out. I’m not buying this game on PC or consoles. Having purchased the previous games on Steam, I will not be buying this one as a “Fuck You Too.”

pr0cs

So say for example your project was projected to sell 10000 units a month but only sold 6000, Epic would cover the shortfall.
If that's the case its no wonder there are some big profile gets moving to the epic store. Guaranteed sales would be pretty hard to beat considering how front loaded game sales are

McCheese

Don't get the hate, what did you folks expect competition for Steam to look like?

If you pre-ordered on steam you are still getting exactly what you originally wanted, and if you picked up a box copy you get your steam key still if you really want to play it within that eco-system.

Epic store is doing pretty much the same service, but cheaper for consumers and better margins for the developer. It's win-win.

Kadayi

Banned
If that's the case its no wonder there are some big profile gets moving to the epic store. Guaranteed sales would be pretty hard to beat considering how front loaded game sales are

Don't take that as gospel. That's an interpretation of what has been said. Certainly, the implication is that Epic are paying the Developers a certain amount during the window for that exclusivity.

Don't get the hate, what did you folks expect competition for Steam to look like?

If you pre-ordered on steam you are still getting exactly what you originally wanted, and if you picked up a box copy you get your steam key still if you really want to play it within that eco-system.

Epic store is doing pretty much the same service, but cheaper for consumers and better margins for the developer. It's win-win.
Well it's only cheaper for US consumers. And I would expect them to actually compete who could have the better platform for consumers not moneyhat devs while providing a fraction of the features of the competition.

ROMhack

I hear it's cheaper in the US but both stores are selling it for £50 here in the UK. There's pretty much no incentive to switch atm.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Apparently, they are guaranteeing them a certain amount of money during the exclusivity period based on what was said by another developer, in line with expected sales., So say for example your project was projected to sell 10000 units a month but only sold 6000, Epic would cover the shortfall.
That's a crazy deal, it's like an insurance policy on your game.

kingwingin

Epic must have written them a huge cheque. knocking $10 off the price and paying 18% less in fees almost cancels itself out

Last edited:

Sejan

The last thing I want to deal with in pc gaming is having a storefront like Steam get pushed out. Steam is a gatekeeper that we need. I see this as a race to the bottom to save money for the big publishers at the detriment of the consumer (the shit show that has been the Bethesda Launcher for example). We've already been seeing it lately before the Epic Store launched but I fear this will fuel it even more.

Valve probably (obviously) was resting on their laurels and probably didn't negotiate with the big publishers on the cut percentage and are feeling it.

They are a gatekeeper that has long since gone AWOL. To say they have rested on their laurels is a huge understatement. I love Steam and have no problem with them being a primary PC distribution option. Unfortunately, they have given up for all practical purposes. The 30% cut from purchases, while standard, is largely unjustified.

Epic and other alternative storefronts are the market pressure that Valve need to fix their problems with Steam. I am 100% in favor of market forces pressuring companies to be better.

To be clear, I don’t want Steam pushed out. I even would like to see them as the market leader, but I want them to be motivated to fix their problems and be more fair to the game developers. The only way to do this is to face real competition.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They are a gatekeeper that has long since gone AWOL. To say they have rested on their laurels is a huge understatement. I love Steam and have no problem with them being a primary PC distribution option. Unfortunately, they have given up for all practical purposes. The 30% cut from purchases, while standard, is largely unjustified.

Epic and other alternative storefronts are the market pressure that Valve need to fix their problems with Steam. I am 100% in favor of market forces pressuring companies to be better.

I am too, but the problem here is that this competition is being done to the determent of the customer experience.

We would all be having a completely different conversation if Deep Silver just lowered the price on the Epic Store while keeping the Steam release intact and available for $60. That is how you get people to vote with their wallets, not making exclusivity deals that force people interested in this game to sign up for yet another service. I personally know a lot of people that would pay $10 more just to have the game in their Steam library with access to all of Steam's features. Hell, the fact that it's the #1 seller on Steam today kinda proves that's true.

and be more fair to the game developers
For what ? Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo take 30% too... This is a industrial problem... Epic are just here to take all the money they can... They dont care about players and community like valve/steam does... they are just profiteers ...

Skyr

If you have an allergy against steam pre-orders don‘t forget that you can refund that bitch if it turns out to be a stinker.
I just took the plunge with that in mind, so no hard feelings really :messenger_peace:

Sejan

For what ? Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo take 30% too... This is a industrial problem... Epic are just here to take all the money they can... They dont care about players and community like valve/steam does... they are just profiteers ...

As I said in my original post, the only way for these closed markets is to change the industry standard. For better or worse, Nintendo controls their own store and no one else can challenge it. The only places this is possible right now is on PC and Android. In a few years, maybe publishers will be able to approach Sony and Microsoft and demand better prices based on what is standard at that time.

The only solution to this problem is market pressure. If Steam has enough people skip games on their service in favor of others they will be forced to change their ways.

I am not saying that epic are the good guys in this scenario. I am saying that market pressure is a good way to bring about change.

Gamezone

Gold Member
What do you guys do when Microsoft, Bethesda, EA, Blizzard, Activision and Ubisoft release games on PC? If Valve can't keep the remaining publishers Steam will end up with indie games.

sol_bad

I'm happy I don't buy most games brand new. I can take a wait and see approach. I'm hoping all these exclusives are timed exclusives. Or I hope Steam lower their profit percentage.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Closed platforms are in the position to do so unlike PC.

Well I won't be buying this. I saw this for months in my steam feed, added it to my wishlist and had the intention to try it in the first month. Not anymore. They milked steam for adverts then bailed. 4A Games can suck my ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom