• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Def Jam: Icons Soundtrack/Characters Revealed..

Very intriguing stuff. I'm really curious to hear about online options. But even without online Custom Soundtracks, at your next party:

Custom Soundtracks + Connect 360 + 120 gigs of Music + Icon = Karaoke B A L L I N at my house after Lost.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Will the blazing moves return ? If it misses that then its pretty lame, im really liking what im seeing but the Throwing and punching can get old pretty fast, id like some special moves to be honest...

KGKK

Banned
Tiduz said:
Will the blazing moves return ? If it misses that then its pretty lame, im really liking what im seeing but the Throwing and punching can get old pretty fast, id like some special moves to be honest...
Ya I want the blazing moves to return tooooo.

considering how the majority of gaf shuns mainstream games, funny to see all you guys getting giddy over old, played out, jiggy rap...

and did i read correctly that someone here getting excited over the atrocious "hate me now" song by nas?? :(

KiNeSiS

Banned
Kudo's team are the analog masters!!!
This is no news since I knew the FN team was developing the game.
I was hoping they would use this ingenious scheme.

Any game that lets me beat the shit out of Paul Wall and Mike Jones is ok in my book. Hopefully this'll have an option for button controls ala Rockstar's Table Tennis.

Kapsama

SNUG REVOL said:
Def Jam is fukking up his new album. I've heard some leaked tracks....he should have at least 2 songs on this list. Hopefully he'll be playable.
Considering the type of songs Joe Budden seems to be recording lately that would be a very bad idea.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SNUG REVOL said:
Def Jam is fukking up his new album. I've heard some leaked tracks....he should have at least 2 songs on this list. Hopefully he'll be playable.

What he should have done is not reply to Hov on Pump It Up.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
is E40 playable??? please be in the game!!

qcf x2

This game is shaping up quite nicely.

With create-a-player many prior and current rap beefs will be reenacted in the physical form.

50 Cent vs Ja Rule
50 Cent vs The Game
50 Cent vs Fat Joe
Eminem vs Ja Rule
2Pac vs Biggie
Jay-Z vs Nas
KRS1 vs Nelly
Joe Budden vs Lloyd Banks
Jay-Z vs Cam'ron/Jim Jones
Nas vs Jim Jones/Cam'ron
Lil Wayne vs Jay-Z
T.I. vs Lil Flip

etc

aku:jiki

Man, this game is like a total brainwash. All day at the office today has been random shouts of "MIKE JOOOONES!" and "BAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLIIIIIIINN!!!" We can't stop! :lol :lol

shagg_187 said:
Let the "Analog Stick Mashup" Begin....

Why is EVERYONE Aiming to use Right Analog Stick for everything... Can't i get my typical "X for Punch" and "O for Grapple" and "R1 for Taunt" back please :(
This game does both. You do punches/kicks with ABXY, hold R to change defensive stance with the right stick (this move SUCKS -- it's impossible to predict if the opponent is going to kick high or low), hold L to do scratching with the sticks (yes, this is more important than it sounds, and tons of fun) and do taunts with LB/RB. You can also do a few power moves with the right stick -- down-down is a hard punch, a full circle is a flying roundhouse kick thing (some characters have variations though).

Odjn said:
so is jay-z vs. nas, confirmed?
I haven't finished the story yet, but I haven't seen them so far. Haven't even unlocked the song, but...just because a rapper has a song in there doesn't mean he's playable and vice versa. We can't find any songs for Kano, which sucks because we're big fans of him at the office. Ps & Qs would've been awesome.

blackace said:
is E40 playable??? please be in the game!!
He is one of the key characters. He's playable in multiplayer, you can sign him to your label in single and thus you get to play as him in several singleplayer matches as well. You'll be getting tons of voicemail from him too, all pretty hilarious because...well, that guy is funny every time he speaks!

And I seem to remember Joe Budden being in one of the older betas, but he's not available from the start in the "review copy" (and I use that term lightly since it's an EA game) and I haven't seen him there yet.

Bad_Boy said:
We need a character list asap.
From what I've seen so far, the tally is this:

Way too few rappers.
Way too many lame original characters.

(Though I did get a little chuckle out of the fact that the "crazy fan" character is called Stan. :D)

I highly doubt Nas would sign on for something like this....though I've seen him do more confusing things.

I'd substitute my own soundtrack while playing this anyway.

Dead Prez stand up.

Zep

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
God, that's his worst song.

(Triple posts I know, but hey, I'm a Joe Budden fan.)

Its one them...but the only other track I can think of is "get it poppin"

Definitely getting a purchase, EA boycott be damned.

Great to know you can use either analog stick or the buttons.
Hopefully the Create-A-Rapper is better than FFNY's...but I dunno :/

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
aku:jiki said:
And I seem to remember Joe Budden being in one of the older betas, but he's not available from the start in the "review copy" (and I use that term lightly since it's an EA game) and I haven't seen him there yet.

Believe!

From what I've seen so far, the tally is this:

Way too few rappers.
Way too many lame original characters.

Come on EA :/

This still sounds like a riot to play!

[/QUOTE]

Big Zep said:
Its one them...but the only other track I can think of is "get it poppin"

Well, if they could put Walk With Me" on DJ:FFNY (The best song in the game, by the way), then "The Future" Could easily work.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Great to know you can use either analog stick or the buttons.
It's not either or, it's both. Read my large post up there.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Hopefully the Create-A-Rapper is better than FFNY's...but I dunno :/
It's the character creation feature from FN3 pretty much straight-up, of course.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Come on EA :/
Well, to be fair and clear, maybe the rappers start unlocking late in the game. During the hours I played today, though, I got 30% rappers and 70% "random cop" and "random shady promoter" unlocked.

I dunno man by tag team in DJ Vendetta was that Clown and the big Jesus dude.
Lame as hell I know but I guess that was part of the fun. Shame they didn't show in FFNY.

I'm hoping Flava Flav and Sean Paul return at least, those two were my FFNY tag-team.

It's not either or, it's both. Read my large post up there.

Oops, guess I'm heading back to elementary school. My reading comprehension is for shits today.
Thanks for all the great info btw.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm hoping Flava Flav and Sean Paul return at least, those two were my FFNY tag-team.
Sean Paul is back, not sure abotu Flav.

It does seem, however, that the roster is severely downgraded from FFNY. I don't think we'll be having anywhere near 100 playable characters in this one.

Sean Paul is back, not sure abotu Flav.

It does seem, however, that the roster is severely downgraded from FFNY. I don't think we'll be having anywhere near 100 playable characters in this one.

Any word on how online works in relation to custom soundtracks?

Xav

You guys better not et excited about this game, AKI is no longer involved. Fight for New York was awesome but this game looks bad. It don't look anyway near as interesting, fun & brutal as FFNY. It don't look like a street fighting game, it looks like a damn boxing game. What has AKI been up to since FFNY?, I really enjoy their fighting/wrestling games.

epik

No love for sean paul in this thread.. ALL OUT is a HUGE tune! Can't wait for this game, but I agree... wheres the meth and red! :(

Xav said:
blah blah blah

Nobody cares at this point so just sit down, shut up, and read about what the people who are actually playing the game think.

So what if AKI isn't involved? If Icons can reproduce the same level of enjoyment I see no reason to doubt the new development team.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I love aki games to but come on guys even if it is more fighting based so what. FFNY was real fun but got boring I'm sick of rehashes.
I'd Like Aki to work on an actual wrestling games with actual wrestlers.
I have full confidence in this EA team they are a premier team that will push the system's far with unique and effective control schemes.

HYPE HYPE HYPE BRING ON THE DEMO!!!!

newsguy

Protip: Next time you're in the club and Jim Jones comes on, stand up. When some goofy dude takes the jumpshot... Block that shit. My buddy calls it Baller Blockin'

BenjaminBirdie said:
Any word on how online works in relation to custom soundtracks?
Can't even check what multiplayer options there are in EA games since they want to "connect to EA server" (which, of course, is impossible with a final beta copy), but I can't imagine it'd matter. I'm sure the PR talk is about how "awesomely integrated" the music is, but it doesn't really do that much. The environmental hazards might be timed to the beat, but it's not like the houses are bumping along to the beat in any kind of melodic way. They just bump around sometimes. It's more like an awesome type of environment destruction (at least I think it looks very cool) than good "music integration". Eh, it's hard to explain.

I'll try again, with an advanced example that will probably make even less sense!

The game does not: kick kick clap == bounce bounce boom.

It does: kick kick clap kick kick clap == ---- ---- boom ---- ---- boom.

("Bounce" being the houses/stuff bouncing and "boom" being the environmental hazards reacting -- like gas tanks exploding, cameras swinging around, cars doing donuts.)'

(I can't stop editing! So hard to explain. What I mean is -- it only hits a few beats here and there, so it probably just reads a song's BPM and goes from there.)

epik said:
wheres the meth and red! :(
Not sure what you mean? They both have songs and even though I only have Red unlocked so far, I'd be very surprised if Meth doesn't show up later in the game...

PepsimanVsJoe said:
So what if AKI isn't involved? If Icons can reproduce the same level of enjoyment I see no reason to doubt the new development team.
He is right in a sense, though. It's a very different game from FFNY, and if you're the type of gamer who wants your sequels to just be the exact same as the last game, you're probably going to hate this with a passion.

Those of us who just want to throw people into a helicopter tail blade, scratch some records and beat some skulls will love it, though. :D

Those of us who just want to throw people into a helicopter tail blade, scratch some records and beat some skulls will love it, though. :D

The thing that worries me about this game is that it the fight style reminds me of Marvel: Rise of the Imperfects.

Plus, the whole reason I got into the Def Jam franchise to begin with was that it was made by Aki, whom I loved from the WCW World Tour/WCW/NWO Revenge/WWF Wrestlemania2000/No Mercy days. The music was an added plus.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
aku:jiki: Any news about blazing moves? the special brutal moves from part 1 and 2, or are you not in a position to tell anything about this

Tiduz said:
aku:jiki: Any news about blazing moves? the special brutal moves from part 1 and 2, or are you not in a position to tell anything about this
They aren't there anymore.

Big Zep said:
where was this confirmed?
I didn't confirm it, I said I think he was unlocked from the start in one of the earlier betas. I could double-check if he's that important to people. :lol

Zep

Banned

I didn't confirm it, I said I think he was unlocked from the start in one of the earlier betas. I could double-check if he's that important to people. :lol

He is..Double check for us :) Jersey represent!

Zonar

aku:jikiI didn't [I said:
confirm[/I] it, I said I think he was unlocked from the start in one of the earlier betas. I could double-check if he's that important to people. :lol
Oh it is. You bet your ass it is!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Hell yea! :lol Budden is that dude.

KiNeSiS

Banned

Although i'm open for the new control scheme no character specific finishing moves really blows!!!
Damn, I really hate fighting games where people have all the same moves really gets boring. Not even a special move for each character?!?
Tell me How does each individual handle does it feel like the same people with different looks?

Tokubetsu

No special moves between characters is lame and watching the control move video, I'm afraid the whole game is just gonna come down to how often you can grapple to throw people into the background. I miss AKI already.

Top Bottom