• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Def Jam: Icons Soundtrack/Characters Revealed..

Kingpen

This was my most anticipated game by far.... I am rather worried though that grapples are pretty much non existant though... Also hearing that blazing moves are gone is really disapointing as well.

I think throwing the same punches and kicks with the occasional launching throw move (which gets very tiresome to watch after seeing it 3 times) is going to get old, very fast.

I'm wondering how much fun this game is going to be after the initial couple of hours of freshness wears off.

I still am keeping an open mind though since it is from the fight night crew...

I think the demo is going to be the final deciding factor for this...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wait, wait...

Wait.

No more finishing moves? The hell?

Well that sure is disappointing... why is AKI not doing this game again? Jeez...

And where's the demooooooooooo?

unomas

Banned
Kingpen said:
This was my most anticipated game by far.... I am rather worried though that grapples are pretty much non existant though... Also hearing that blazing moves are gone is really disapointing as well.

I think throwing the same punches and kicks with the occasional launching throw move (which gets very tiresome to watch after seeing it 3 times) is going to get old, very fast.

I'm wondering how much fun this game is going to be after the initial couple of hours of freshness wears off.

I still am keeping an open mind though since it is from the fight night crew...

I think the demo is going to be the final deciding factor for this...

I'm waiting on the demo too, with Guitar Hero 2 and Virtua Tennis 3 right around the corner ICON is going to have to seriously impress me. Will it have online multiplayer?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why are they killing everything that was fun in last year's game? Can someone get sued over using someone else's fighting engine?

Tokubetsu

mckmas8808 said:
Why are they killing everything that was fun in last year's game? Can someone get sued over using someone else's fighting engine?

Again it's really early to cross it off, but i already hope this bombs..BADLY, so EA can realize they NEED aki. I wouldn't be surprised if they just canceled the demo altogether at this point.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Bad_Boy said:
gahh... :'(
those were the highlight of the last games imo. damn that sucks.

Looks like the first one will continue to reign as the best one in the series then, cause those finishers were so over the top and cool that they never got old...

Man, I'm not really looking so forward to this as much as before now, if it's really gonna just turn into punch, kick, kick opponent into the background... damn.

Man...the Build a Label Mode is over before it even starts. As soon as I had the maximum four artist's out and The Game dropping One Blood (guaranteed platinum hit), the storyline just ...ended.

Kingpen

I love this series and place it at the top of the funnest fighting/grappling games around, but I am seriously not that impressed with the gameplay that I have seen in the vids.... Scratching thin air to imitate a record scratch just to have the background erupt and toss some fool across the screen, while it sounds fun, is going to get old really, really quick after seeing it multiple times. It is the same exact moves (punches, kicks, throws) inside all the videos as well. I hope they took some ideas from Fight Night to increase the drama of those same punches....

Def jam was fun before because each character had a different style, and there were extremly brutal, and different moves for each one of those styles.

I'm sorely going to miss Redman lifting up his opponent and giving him the trademark nutshot blazing move....

Thank god I have FFNY on PSP and Smackdown on 360....

I will probably buy it because I love the license and figure it is something new, but at this point, I am not as hyped as I was when this was first announced....

I'll buy it regardless; I loved the first two games. The jiggly backgroundsin the new game don't seem appealing in the slightest, but what can you do? I look forward to pounding faces in with the M.O.P.

I also look forward to beating the 5h17 and corn out of Yung Joc and Jim Jones.

MMaRsu

Banned
RiotPelaaja said:
Man...the Build a Label Mode is over before it even starts. As soon as I had the maximum four artist's out and The Game dropping One Blood (guaranteed platinum hit), the storyline just ...ended.

=(

Well so can you now tell us what rappers are confirmed?

Is Method/Nas in?

aku:jiki

The more I play this game, the more annoying it gets. It's really sad to say, because I think it has a fun engine and has the coolest art direction so far in 2007. I love the look of it, especially the different color schemes (the sepia and b/w ones are HOT).

But the defensive stance system is ****ing retarded! It's so stupid, I simply can't fathom it has stayed in the game. Like FNR3, you're supposed to block high and low. The thing is, in FNR3, the opponent has to enter an upper/lower stance before he can pull of a high/low punch. In DJ:I, doing high/low punches/kicks is done with a simple button press and while the opponent does change his stance slightly, it's way too fast to be able to react to in any enjoyable way. Factor in dozens of different characters with slightly different movesets that you'd need to memorize 100% to block effectively and you have a gigantic headache going on. Add a wildly changing camera and color scheme system (that makes it even harder to see what an opponent is about to do) and you've got a bursting migraine.

It's not too late, EA! Make it one block button and make the game fun and accessible! Please. :(

Kingpen said:
There are other grappling moves, though, but I do see what you're saying. They're not as fun as the ones in FFNY were.

mckmas8808 said:
Can someone get sued over using someone else's fighting engine?
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but this doesn't use AKI's engine. It's FNR3.

RiotPelaaja said:
I have no idea what you're saying either! I have had full four artists (Luda, Red, Lil Jon and E40 are in my roster for those who care) for a few hours, and I've made enough money to fully produce (max out ads/airplay/ec) every new song since signing 4 and I haven't finished the story yet...you sure you're playing the latest beta?

Kingpen said:
Scratching thin air to imitate a record scratch just to have the background erupt and toss some fool across the screen, while it sounds fun, is going to get old really, really quick after seeing it multiple times.
Not really? We love it at the office. It gets about as old as any other manouver in any other game.

We Are Ninja said:
I look forward to pounding faces in with the M.O.P.
Again: just because an artist has a song in the game doesn't mean they're playable, and just because a character is playable doesn't mean he has a song in there. (Can't confirm nor deny, but I haven't seen any traces of MOP yet, aside from "Ante Up.")

MMaRsu said:
Is Method/Nas in?
Meth is, at least. I didn't get a chance to check for Joe Budden, sorry guys.

Kingpen

aku:

If you were not testing the beta, but were a fan of the old Def Jam games and know what you know, would you spend 60 bucks for this game? How long do you see playtime in this game going for someone that liked the franchise before? What type of different modes are there other then the story campaign and exhibition?

Like i said, I probably will still get the game regardless, but I just am kinda bummed it isn't a sequel to what I had played before, but is a different take on the license overall (which when I put my mindframe on this type of thinking it makes my decision to buy the game justafied.)

I do look forward to putting on some old school rap with some deep bass lines in the beat to experiment with..

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ynos Yrros said:
Paul%20Wall%20009.jpg

:/
Give me more Meth and Red, screw those posers.

Nigga dont think these record deals gonna feed your seeds
And pay your bills because they not
Mcs get a little bit of love and think they hot
Talkin bout how much money they got, all yall records sound the same
I sick of that fake thug, r & b, rap scenario all day on the radio
Same scenes in the video, monotonous material, yall dont here me though
These record labels slang our tapes like dope
You can be next in line, and signed, and still be writing rhymes and broke
You would rather have a lexus, some justice, a dream or some substance?
A beamer, a necklace or freedom?

Top Bottom