• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Def Jam Rapstar |OT|

gamerx

16gwdh0.jpg

Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii
Publisher: Konami
Developer: 4mm Games & Terminal Reality
Release Date: October 5th 2010 (NA)/ November 5 (EU)/ November 4 (AUS)

Def Jam Rapstar captures the essence of what Hip Hop is all about: the music, the battles and of course...the swagger.
The ultimate emcee experience for video game consoles, Def Jam Rapstar is the only music game that focuses exclusively on Hip Hop. With more than 40 of the greatest Hip Hop songs available at release, Def Jam Rapstar allows you to be the star: by rhyming, using your console camera, and uploading your video to the fully integrated Def Jam Rapstar community at www.defjamrapstar.com. Def Jam Rapstar also offers you the ability to freestyle over tracks by some of the hottest hip hop producers and upload your freestyle performances for the world to decide how good you really are.

Features

Career
ON THE COME UP
Success doesn’t happen overnight. You need to rise through the ranks in Career Mode to become a Def Jam Rapstar. Spit bars with the best in the history of the Rap Game to unlock new tracks, fresh beats, and other add-ons.

Battle
PAY YOUR DUES
Earn stripes, crush haters, and sharpen your skills in the innovative Battle Mode. Trade lines and punchlines for the highest score. Prove you’re not one to be messed with.

Duet
EVEN THE BIGGEST STARS COLLABORATE
In Def Jam Rapstar, you don’t have to go it alone. Grab a friend and perform together in Duet Mode. Just like Kanye & Jamie or T.I. and Rihanna, you can record your video and upload it for the fans.

Practice Mode
EVERY DAY A STAR IS BORN
If you’re an aspiring emcee developing your skills, Def Jam Rapstar helps take your game to the next level. Get instant feedback on your lyrical accuracy, timing, and tone that’ll help you go from amateur to icon. Jump into Practice Mode to replay tough sections and up your game.

Freestyle Mode
You bring the lyrics, we'll bring the beats. Featuring exclusive original tracks by some of the best producers in Hip-Hop, Freestyle Mode gives you the tools you need to make sure that your voice is heard.

Recording/Video Editing
ALL EYES ON ME
Direct and star in your own music video to show off your “swagnificance.” Use an attached console camera to record your performances. Edit the special effects and sounds in your clip… all you need to create your own Hip-Hop classic. Champagne and models not included.

Community
The Def Jam Rapstar community opens the door for passionate Hip-Hop entrepreneurs and fans to get involved. Cut together music videos, call out battles, build up your crew, work your way to the top of the ranks. It's everything an MC needs to become a VIP and perhaps even become a true mogul. View and rank videos, manage and promote artists and crews, build a brand, and carve out an empire.

Tracklist

2pac - "I Get Around"
50 Cent - "I Get Money"
30djw5g.jpg

A Tribe Called Quest - "Scenario"
Beastie Boys - "Brass Monkey"
Big Pun feat. Joe - "Still Not A Player"
Biz Markie - "Just A Friend"
Busta Rhymes - "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See"
Diddy (featuring The Notorious B.I.G, Lil' Kim & The Lox) - "It's All About The Benjamins (Remix)"
DJ Khaled (featuring Akon, T.I., Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Baby & Lil Wayne) - "We Takin' Over"
DMX - "Ruff Ryder's Anthem"
Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg - "Nuthin' But A G Thang"
2gww5mw.jpg

Drake - "Best I Ever Had"
Fat Joe featuring Terror Squad - "Lean Back"
9j3r0l.jpg

Ice Cube - "Today Was A Good Day"
Ja Rule featuring Ashanti - "Always on Time"
Jim Jones - "We Fly High"
vpvl0l.jpg

Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx - "Gold Digger"
Kanye West - "Stronger"
Lil Jon - "Get Low"
Lil Wayne - "A Milli"
LL Cool J - "Mama Said Knock You Out"
Ludacris - "Stand Up"
Method Man feat. Mary J. Blige - "You're All I Need/I'll Be There For You"
Method Man & Redman - "Da Rockwilder"
Nas feat. Diddy - "Hate Me Now"
Nelly - "Hot In Herre"
Notorious B.I.G. - Big Poppa
25oxiiw.jpg

Notorious B.I.G. - "Juicy"
Onyx - "Slam"
Outkast - "So Fresh & So Clean"
Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth - "T.R.O.Y. (They Reminisce Over You)"
Public Enemy - "Can't Truss It"
Public Enemy - "Fight The Power"
Rob Base - It Takes Two
Run D.M.C. - "Run's House"
Salt-N-Pepa - "Push It"
Slick Rick - "Children's Story"
Snoop Dogg - "Gin and Juice"
Soulja Boy Tell’em - "Turn My Swag On"

T.I. feat. Rihanna - "Live Your Life"
Twista feat. Kanye West and Jamie Foxx - "Slow Jamz"
Wu Tang Clan - "C.R.E.A.M."
Young Jeezy featuring Kanye West - "Put On"
Young Joc - "It's Going Down"

Freestyle Instrumental Tracks

9th Wonder - "Hand’s Up"
9th Wonder - "Jamla"
Bangladesh - "Patron"
Bangladesh - "Gutter"
Boi-1da - "Dance"
Cool & Dre - "Epidemic"
Cool & Dre - "Public Enemy"
Danja - "Nars"
DJ Khalil - "LAX"
DJ Khalil - "The Good Doctor"
DJ Premier - "Go Back"
DJ Premier - "JJ Beat"
Just Blaze - "8 Bit"
Just Blaze - "On The One"
Nitti Beatz- "Hands Up"

Pre-order bonus tracks
Gamestop
DJ Khaled: "I'm So Hood"
Diddy: "Bad Boy For Life"
Eric B. and Rakim: "Paid In Full"

Kmart
Flo-Rida: "Low"
Maino: "All The Above"

Amazon
Luniz: "I Got 5 On It"
Sugar Hill Gang: "Rapper's Delight"
The Pharcyde: "Passin' Me By"

Walmart
Chamillionaire: "Ridin' Dirty"
New Boyz: "You're A Jerk"

TRU.com
Chamillionaire: "Ridin' Dirty"
New Boyz: "You're A Jerk"

Videos
Giant Bomb Quick Look
Overview
TV commercial

33l06pv.png

Chris R

The GB quick look made me interested. If any song I NEED to sing comes out as DLC I'll probably pick the game up quicker than I plan (waiting out for sale prices).

Gravijah

Hey, reading the tracklist is annoying with all the random pictures. Could you make it just one big list? Spiffy OP, otherwise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I have a feeling that I would be really bad at this.

I like rap music, though, so it's intriguing but aside from the single Wu-Track there isn't much that interests me on there. Some Dead Prez would have been fun. I'll probably give it a rent if it supports the Rock Band mic.

Amir0x

Banned
this is the first game ever that i wish invented the technology to force the players to be filmed as they played. There would be so much comedy gold to be mined in white pasty geeks trying their damnedest to rap.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Amir0x said:
this is the first game ever that i wish invented the technology to force the players to be filmed as they played. There would be so much comedy gold to be mined in white pasty geeks trying their damnedest to rap.

racist

Chris R

Amir0x said:
That was actually a pretty cool feature they (GB) showed off in the QL video. Wish ALL music games had an option to use a camera (360 Vision, Kinect, PSEye, ect) to record and then upload :lol

Amir0x said:
Weird Al would have no problem.

241telx.jpg

AIRic

This is no AKI's Def Jam Vendetta... Def Jam is a waste. Imagine what they could've done with this engine... Def Jam FFNY was great, because it still has some AKI greatness to it, but after that all those games are shit.

YagizY

AIRic said:
This is no AKI's Def Jam Vendetta... Def Jam is a waste. Imagine what they could've done with this engine... Def Jam FFNY was great, because it still has some AKI greatness to it, but after that all those games are shit.

WTF are you talking about, this is a karaoke game.

Acid08

Banned
I, for one, cannot wait to get drunk as hell with some friends and bust out "It Was A Good Day." We do it already without a game, it'll be nice to get scored on our drunken antics.

AIRic

YagizY said:
WTF are you talking about, this is a karaoke game.

Sorry, I guess I'm still pissed that they didn't simply improved with the modern version of the greatest wrestling engine ever made... AKI4EVER!

Chemo

Clicked the thread in hopes that the LL Cool J song they picked wasn't going to be Mama Said Knock You Out. Mother fucking boo.

I have no interest in this, but if Droppin' Em was on it, it'd magically transform into a day one purchase.

liger05

Played it at the Eurogamer expo. Got on stage and did B.I.G's 'Juicy'. I nailed it. Hopefully this will be region free so I can pick up the US version.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Amir0x said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/e3-2010-undercover-the-rap-up/17-2825/

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-def-jam-rapstar/17-3294/

I think there's another clip of two of the GB guys playing the game on one of the members-only vids as well: http://www.giantbomb.com/whiskey-media-happy-hour-092410/17-3281/ (at the 21:30 mark)

Vomiaouaf said:
Oh my. I can already picture the bad marketing meetings that led to this.

Better than I expected actually. Fairly simple idea executed quite well. The Daft Punk/Kayne remix definitely helps sell it.

Rapstah

Freezie KO said:
I hate misreading titles. I thought this said Def Jam Raptor.
I hate misreading titles. I thought this said Def Jam Rapstah.

I still think they based this game on me by the way.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Looks hilarious. I guess it'll sell towards a million

AIRic said:
Sorry, I guess I'm still pissed that they didn't simply improved with the modern version of the greatest wrestling engine ever made... AKI4EVER!
aki 4 life, bosses when it comes to 3D brawlers

MadmanUK said:
Good luck spittin' Twista. Those store exclusive tracks are BS, want Eric B, Luniz and The Sugarhill Gang.

I'd like more Rakim too. Problem is that the vast majority of people can't keep up with Rakim's lyrics. :lol

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Surprised to see no Eminem/Jay-Z. Either way, there aren't a lot of songs on there that I thoroughly enjoy.

Swag

Stat Flow said:
Surprised to see no Eminem/Jay-Z. Either way, there aren't a lot of songs on there that I thoroughly enjoy.

Does Activition have exclusive rights to Jay Z / Eminem tracks in a karaoke game because of DJ Hero?

I can totally see Em / Jay agreeing to a deal like that for $$

Top Bottom