• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter by Hidden Path Entertainment [Ended, $271K funded]

HBroward

Well, they crossed 250k, so at least all the backers get Containment, and then DG2 whenever it may finally be released. Sad they didn't hit the full amount needed, but at least something will come out of it.

Salsa

are people seriously complaining that they are not getting one fucking million dollars to do a sequel to a tower defense game

Atomski

are people seriously complaining that they are not getting one fucking million dollars to do a sequel to a tower defense game

But its a "good" tower defense game. I never cared for the genre before I played it.

Im glad it was sorta funded though and hope they find a good publisher.

Slermy

Games are expensive? Who knows what big features were/are planned.

Anyway, I'm glad they at least hit the first goal. Looking forward to the new levels, hopefully it'll make it's way to the 360 as well.

I looooooove Defense Grid, but a million dollars is completely bonkers and they were never gonna make it.

It's bonkers for a kickstarter project, but not really for a game in general.

But the this result will probably be a good kick in the right direction to get DG2 started at least.

Atomski

The thing that worries me is will publishers see this as a reason not to fund it. Seeing as the kickstarter was not as popular as the developers expected it to be.

So, a 250K expansion pack for Defense Grid, that will still be sold for profit.. projects like this are going to ruin Kickstarter for the rest of us.

Atomski

So, a 250K expansion pack for Defense Grid, that will still be sold for profit.. projects like this are going to ruin Kickstarter for the rest of us.

What are you talking about??? If you funded it at 15 dollars u get the expansion. If you didnt you still have the option to buy it. This is pretty the idea of kickstarter..

What are you talking about??? If you funded it at 15 dollars u get the expansion. If you didnt you still have the option to buy it. This is pretty the idea of kickstarter..

It pisses me off that they want 250k for an 8 level expansion for a goddamn Tower Defense game. I'm sure they'll add new units and tile sets or whatever, but 250k for that?

It should piss you off they want $15 from you to get the expansion, not that they'd need 250k overall.

Yes.

I never actually played my Steam copy of DG much.. but 8 levels doesn't sound like much if this has the standard TD formula.

Anyway, good for them I suppose. I just find it odd that a game like DG that has consistently been on sale and seemingly near the top of sales charts, hasn't been able to earn them any money. That is just bad management.

How much do you think it should cost them to make?

Well I suggest they pay for their own salaries, release a $5 expansion to DG on Steam and sell 100k copies of that in the first month.
They have their engine, their game is pretty well established amongst the gaming community, and creating new levels/assets for this existing framework should not have to take a huge amount of effort or time. (assumption being made here)

I wouldn't have any problems if they just labeled this KS as a DG2 Kickstarter and threw the DG1 expansion pack in as a reward tier.

Yes.

I never actually played my Steam copy of DG much.. but 8 levels doesn't sound like much if this has the standard TD formula.

Anyway, good for them I suppose. I just find it odd that a game like DG that has consistently been on sale and seemingly near the top of sales charts, hasn't been able to earn them any money. That is just bad management.

Maybe if you actually played DG, and then read their project page about why they need the kickstarter, you might be less angry about this? ;)

Maybe if you actually played DG, and then read their project page about why they need the kickstarter, you might be less angry about this? ;)

Yes I figure I should do that one day. I'm not really angry about it, it was just annoying to see the devs cry about not having earned anything from DG1 and then ask people 250k for an expansion pack.

I know people's time isn't free, but it just doesn't seem genuine to charge 250k upfront to fund development, when they could most likely just release it on Steam without prior notice and get the cash flow they need.

This is like Paradox going to Kickstarter to ask people to fund the next Magica expansion pack release.

I'm sure if they made this about DG2 and set the min. at 500k they would have easily gotten this thing funded.

Card Boy

Banned
How much do you think it should cost them to make?

This Kickstarter is a handout out and you know it, stop acting as their defence force. I imagine CS:GO has made millions in Pre-order money, why ain't they funding the game with that money? I guarantee you members of the community can make 8 maps for free just to get their name in the credits.

gdt

This Kickstarter is a handout out and you know it, stop acting as their defence force. I imagine CS:GO has made millions in Pre-order money, why ain't they funding the game with that money? I guarantee you members of the community can make 8 maps for free just to get their name in the credits.

I don't think they're getting paid like that for CS:GO. It isn't their game. Valve probably just funds the paychecks while they work on the game, with bonuses and such after.

Still, DG2 for $1mil is alot to swallow. Just sounds really odd with how well the first game did.

Asking you to back up your views = defense force. I didn't think the term could be any more meaningless but I guess it can.

This Kickstarter is a handout out and you know it, stop acting as their defence force. I imagine CS:GO has made millions in Pre-order money, why ain't they funding the game with that money?

So, you know the details of their contracts with Valve? Do tell. :)

dLMN8R

Well I suggest they pay for their own salaries, release a $5 expansion to DG on Steam and sell 100k copies of that in the first month.
They have their engine, their game is pretty well established amongst the gaming community, and creating new levels/assets for this existing framework should not have to take a huge amount of effort or time. (assumption being made here)

I wouldn't have any problems if they just labeled this KS as a DG2 Kickstarter and threw the DG1 expansion pack in as a reward tier.

Well the point is that they don't have money to fund their own salaries, hence the Kickstarter.

So I ask again, given that the Kickstarter is here, since they can't fund their own salaries, how much money do you think it should cost them to create the expansion, and thus ask for that amount using Kickstarter?

I'm not acting like their "defense force". I didn't even like Defense Grid enough to fund this Kickstarter, so I'm indifferent on if it's funded or not. I'm just seeing so many people make claims about how "unreasonable" this or that price is without really explaining why they think it's unreasonable, or how much they should require to fund the game.

It doesn't matter if CS:GO made $100,000,000 from preorders. You don't know if Hidden Path is getting any of that money, or if they're simply getting paid to fund their studio throughout the duration of CS:GO's development.

They already explicitly said that CS:GO isn't getting them a huge profit (if any), so you're basically starting from the premise that they're outright lying about their need for a Kickstarter. If you think they're lying, then that's another conversation entirely to be had separately.

tomasdk

It pisses me off that they want 250k for an 8 level expansion for a goddamn Tower Defense game. I'm sure they'll add new units and tile sets or whatever, but 250k for that?

They want the money for overall development, not an 8 level expansion. If you could be bothered to read about the project, you would have found out that backing this with $15 or more gets you the expansion and DG2 when it gets done eventually.

15 dollars still gets you DG2 whenever and however they get that done.

I don't think so, since it won't be funded from this kickstarter, and that's a big if at this point, since they wanted a million to guarantee part 2.

Your $15 gets you an overpriced piece of DLC that they will probably sell for $5 and then later on for a buck.

I don't think so, since it won't be funded from this kickstarter, and that's a big if at this point, since they wanted a million to guarantee part 2.

Your $15 gets you an overpriced piece of DLC that they will probably sell for $5 and then later on for a buck.

From the FAQ on the Kickstarter:

What will happen with DG2 if you fund one of the lower tiers only?

We're in this to make DG2. But, we don't have the money to do so. If we did, we likely would be already 1/2 way done. So this is our way of turning to you to make DG2. But we recognize that any time anyone asks for a large amount of money it's a tough ask. So, we came up with a development plan to get to DG2, came up with things we could deliver along the way, and created the tiers.

But, as people donate and wonder if it can reach the full amount, they ask - what will happen, and the answer is we'll keep trying to make DG2, and we'll get a portion of the way because of you whether that's 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 or more. And for anything we raise here, we will focus on delivering you the things we promised (that's a big deal to us - you're trusting us and we have to deliver for you to keep this partnership going), and then once we deliver everything we promised, we'll do what we can to come up with the rest. We'll sell the pieces that make sense to sell and use the proceeds, we'll work on other games for other people if we need to and save any profit, and we'll work to complete the full DG2. When we do - and that may be more than a year out if we don't raise everything needed in this kickstarter - you will still get a code for DG2 when it is released. We won't forget you or how you helped us get as far as we will get through this campagin.

HBroward

3 hours left. Still a great deal for $15 even. Containment and DG2 for only $15? You are crazy if you don't jump on this!

Kickstarter is about trust and support, it´s not a store for preorders. If you feel uneasy about supporting a project, then you of course shouldn't pledge. . But please take Kickstarter for what it is.

Harlock

I hope they can make a full DG2. But I give my 15$ for support, even if turns into a overpriced DLC I had this in mind.

ugh horrible timing ending with release of sleeping dogs, last story, darksiders 2 and dust game.

already spent $45 on steam sleeping dogs and $50 on last story (for artbook/music and in case becomes hard to find), plan on getting dust this week also

just ran out of room to justify darksiders 2 (till its cheaper) and this.

Meier

I don't think they're getting paid like that for CS:GO. It isn't their game. Valve probably just funds the paychecks while they work on the game, with bonuses and such after.

That isn't how contract work plays out. No one, in any industry, does that. Companies at every level HAVE to make a profit to stay in operation. You don't get hired on to do some work for a company and simply have them pay what it costs to have employees because then you have no reason to be in business and you won't stay in business. There is a LOT of overhead to account for.

They undoubtedly created a budget and figured out it would cost say X amount to develop the title. They then went to Valve and said we'll do it for (X*1.12) or something along those lines so that they would profit and could account for budgetary issues. Any modifications from Valve along the way would result in change orders that would then increase the overall amount of the contract and they would use a similar system to determine how much they'd charge Valve.

Depending on their contract, Valve either just pays a flat rate or they (Hidden Path) bill them hourly at say $100-$250 per person per hour or something.

It's like nobody saw the earlier posts about how much employees actually cost to keep working.

Well, I think people saw it and realized it wasn't true. There is no way a small indie studio is paying their average employee $100k. The average "mid-career" employee at Google makes $141k. The average at Microsoft makes $127k. We're meant to believe that $100k is on the low-end of things for an indie studio? Hah. A more realistic wage at a small company like this is probably $65-75k at most. $250k is probably enough to pay 3-4 guys for a year which is all a title like this really needs. Smaller companies pay lesser wages because that is all they can afford -- there is more upward mobility at a place like this though. There's a finite number of jobs at >$100k.

Rokal

I contributed $20 as a fan of DG1, but that feels like somewhat of a rip off now that it's clear the Kickstarter will only reach the DLC level. I wouldn't have paid $5 for a few new DG levels, let alone $20.

I know we're supposedly getting DG2 eventually as well, but that's hardly a guarantee and it seems likely that the scope will be reduced if/when it comes out since the Kickstarter bombed. I'm considering canceling my pledge and buying the DLC or DG2 if/when they do come out.

Well, I think people saw it and realized it wasn't true. There is no way a small indie studio is paying their average employee $100k. The average "mid-career" employee at Google makes $141k. The average at Microsoft makes $127k. We're meant to believe that $100k is on the low-end of things for an indie studio? Hah. A more realistic wage at a small company like this is probably $65-75k at most. $250k is probably enough to pay 3-4 guys for a year which is all a title like this really needs. Smaller companies pay lesser wages because that is all they can afford -- there is more upward mobility at a place like this though. There's a finite number of jobs at >$100k.

I didn't say "how much employees make in wages" I said "how much employees actually cost."

Anyway, I get the impression from the comments that it's not really $250K just for the expansion, but however much the expansion costs with the remainder going directly into DG2. The more they make from the KS, the less they have to raise to fully fund DG2 and the more interest they can tell investors they have for it. The expansion is more like something to give backers sooner on the way to making DG2 than having to wait until DG2 is fully funded and finished. Of course, this presumes they'll be able to get the rest funded through other means. They seem pretty certain about that in the comments, but who knows how real that is.

Final: $271,712

I think it's overly pessimistic to say it bombed; they basically knew the $1m was crazy. From the comments:
ET3D is correct. We set out to do crazy things here. If we hit $1m we would have been in the top 0.01% of all Kickstarters to date.

As it is today, the Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter has earned an amount that appears to place it in the top 0.1% of all Kickstarters. That's a huge accomplishment, and even if we set our sights on an incredibly impossible accomplishment to start with, this group of backers has accomplished more than 99.9% of all other Kickstarters!

That said...I still want DG2.

DG: Containment releases on Steam January 23 (I think for $4.99 but can't confirm where I saw that). Backers have the final version activated already and the new levels are pretty awesome. There are 2 new voice actors including someone who should be familiar to Firefly fans. Trailer here.

They're also releasing 4 free DLC levels designed by community members, which will be free for anyone who registers on the Hidden Path forums.

Interestingly, according to Jeff Pobst's post-mortem on the Kickstarter, the final production budget for Containment was almost exactly $250K.

As for DG2, here's a bit from the last backer update:
DG2 is a game that we have about half the money to make right now and are we are still short the amount needed to ensure completion. We are working hard to raise the remaining amount of money and we believe shipping Containment has helped demonstrate that we can deliver on our promises, so that's helping in the discussions. We've had some very good discussions and hopefully we'll have some good news to announce to you one of these days. Once we have locked down all the needed financing for the development, we'll move forward with a team of folks on a schedule that will likely last us a year of development. So once the money is set, it will take just about a year to complete the project and then get ready to ship it.

S3NT1NEL

Neo Member
IMO. They really just messed up the marketing of their Kickstarter.

I had ZERO idea the Kickstarter for the game was going on. I loved the first one and would've contributed in a heartbeat.

IMO. They really just messed up the marketing of their Kickstarter.

I had ZERO idea the Kickstarter for the game was going on. I loved the first one and would've contributed in a heartbeat.

According to the post-mortem they hired a PR agency to try to get the word out.

Oh well.

Top Bottom