• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

mneuro

Is the game more of a console game ported to PC or a PC game ported to console. The chat system and many parts of the interface from PC streams last night caused me to think this is more of a console designed shooter and not really a PC mmo.

I would like to try it out at some point but not at $60. Been burend by to many MMO. So I'll wait for it to go on sale. Especially if there is a DLC pass they want you to get or just DLC in general (you likely are going to be force to buy to make playing worthwhile) because there is no subscription.

You can get it for $45 at GreenManGaming until 5PM today. http://www.greenmangaming.com/

At what point do you get all your preorder stuff? After the tutorial, I suppose?

Yeah, after the tutorial you can access the store. On PC it's assigned to 'P', you can claim items once on each character.

The UI feels like a mix of PC/Console design. You assign gear to slots rather than drag and drop like a pc, but the actual inventory screen is the standard grid (think wow bags) rather than a list (like borderlands).
The interface works well with a mouse, haven't encountered any Click Enter prompts where a Press X prompt should be.

Is the game more of a console game ported to PC or a PC game ported to console. The chat system and many parts of the interface from PC streams last night caused me to think this is more of a console designed shooter and not really a PC mmo.

I would like to try it out at some point but not at $60. Been burend by to many MMO. So I'll wait for it to go on sale. Especially if there is a DLC pass they want you to get or just DLC in general (you likely are going to be force to buy to make playing worthwhile) because there is no subscription.

Console -> PC definitely. The UI is atrocious, and I mean that in all senses of the word.

Effect

You can get it for $45 at GreenManGaming until 5PM today. http://www.greenmangaming.com/

That is a better price. I'm in the US though. GMG is european based right? Wouldn't that lock me into the Euro servers?

Console -> PC definitely. The UI is atrocious, and I mean that in all senses of the word.

When I saw the UI it reminded me of the UI for DC Universe Online. The thing that really stood out and sent up a red flag was the "quick chat" option I saw. Now if that is just so you can toss out pre-defined commands to a group that's one thing. If it means there is no actual chat system at all (why I do not play DC Universe Online. I couldn't get used to what they had in the game. Made socializing a pain having to shout all the time.) that's something else. Which is the case?

Really disliked the Final Fantasy XIV menu system as well because of this. Same with Final Fantasy XI. Both UIs were designed for consoles and in the case of FFXIV it was even more stupid since the PC version was first and only that version existed for a long time.

nataku

Late scheduled server update at 9:30pst according to their twitter.

Still haven't been able to log in today at all.

Huh. They need to put some in game warning about servers going down. Maybe there is one in the chat, but no one ever uses that.

Tobor

I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller. UI seems ok to me. There is a lot of stuff to mess with, sure, but that's to be expected with an MMO. It's better than DCUO.

MAX PAYMENT

That is a better price. I'm in the US though. GMG is european based right? Wouldn't that lock me into the Euro servers?

When I saw the UI it reminded me of the UI for DC Universe Online. The thing that really stood out and sent up a red flag was the "quick chat" option I saw. Now if that is just so you can toss out pre-defined commands to a group that's one thing. If it means there is no actual chat system at all (why I do not play DC Universe Online. I couldn't get used to what they had in the game. Made socializing a pain having to shout all the time.) that's something else. Which is the case?

Really disliked the Final Fantasy XIV menu system as well because of this. Same with Final Fantasy XI. Both UIs were designed for consoles and in the case of FFXIV it was even more stupid since the PC version was first and only that version existed for a long time.
I dropped DCUO because the UI was so bad on pc.

So how are the 360 servers running?

the first few hours of the beta were rough and I'm on my way to Gmestop to pickup my game was wondering what to expect?

They are going fine right now.

thanks

was it ever made clear that when going through the story quests as a group whether the whole group will receive the quest rewards or is it only the leader?

When I played the beta I was ahead of my group leader in the story so I didn't receive any of the quest rewards during those quests but I was wondering if I hadn't been ahead would I have received them?

thanks

was it ever made clear that when going through the story quests as a group whether the whole group will receive the quest rewards or is it only the leader?

When I played the beta I was ahead of my group leader in the story so I didn't receive any of the quest rewards during those quests but I was wondering if I hadn't been ahead would I have received them?

Good question, I lone wolfed more often than not, I would think yes though, to discourage item grinding on quests.

wwm0nkey

thanks

Actually since the server restart its a bit ehhh but obviously that should change shortly.

smr00

Banned
So is the PC version just not worth getting? I don't have a 360 and really have 0 interest in playing it on console even if i did.

Is it like Skyrim UI bad? if so i can deal with that.

So is the PC version just not worth getting? I don't have a 360 and really have 0 interest in playing it on console even if i did.

Is it like Skyrim UI bad? if so i can deal with that.

It's nowhere near as bad as skyrim.

You can get to any part of the menus in under a second with the use of hotkeys and the space bar

The only bad parts (and they are BAD) are the chat system and the menu to apply weapon mods.

So the buzz here seems to be that this game is pretty good. Worth getting? And are the servers segregated? Or are amalgamated, Maybe PS3 + PC, or all three?

smr00

Banned
It's nowhere near as bad as skyrim.

You can get to any part of the menus in under a second with the use of hotkeys and the space bar

The only bad parts (and they are BAD) are the chat system and the menu to apply weapon mods.
How fun is the game? Really tempted to get it.

If the UI isn't as bad as Skyrim i am fine with it, i honestly didn't have a problem with Skyrims UI or DCUO. Just afraid this game is going to go the Rift route which is kind of holding me back. Just wondering what the fun factor is, is it like borderlands?

man this patching is taking a while xbox360 :S

done patching and cant play servers offline :( where can i check to see if they are up/when they will be up?

Wow, I didn't know about this game until today. Big surprise. Looks pretty good and the fact that the world will change along with the show (and vice-verse), I'm really interested. I think I will buy.

Enjoyed the hell out of beta, definitely going to pick one for PS3. Though PC has more features and better graphics it's mediocre at best there, on consoles on the other hand it's quite charming experience.

Pre-ordered this on PS3 earlier today after being surprised at the quality of the PC beta. Looking forward to playing! PSN name is Xander51, if anyone wants to add me.

I also watched that 14 minute preview of the first episode of the show that's out there. It looks...okay? Certainly higher-budget than most of Syfy's faire. They're really going all-out on this I think.

Really don't like MMOs, but for sone reason, I'm this close to impulse-buying a PS3 copy. Love shooter-looters ala Borderlands.

Wary of the MMO component, though.

I stopped playing MMO's some years ago bc I haven't had the free time like I used to. But, I will occasionally be on a few times a week (hopefully).

GAF, add me!!
PSN: itzknickknac

I'm around the DC area (more specifically, Northern VA), just fyi.

How fun is the game? Really tempted to get it.

If the UI isn't as bad as Skyrim i am fine with it, i honestly didn't have a problem with Skyrims UI or DCUO. Just afraid this game is going to go the Rift route which is kind of holding me back. Just wondering what the fun factor is, is it like borderlands?

I haven't bought the final game yet (waiting for a friend to make up his mind if he's gona play it with me) but the beta was enjoyable.

I played for about 20 hours in the beta and it was surprisingly fun.

There was only the first (really big) starting area , 2 coop dungeons , the rift events and 2 multiplayer maps and the world pvp events in the beta but what was there was enjoyable.

Gunplay and hit detection was very enjoyable (similar to borderlands 2 really in quality, which for an mmo is way above what I expected but not amazing compared to stuff like painkiller,serious sam or cs)

The big (non-world) pvp map had really fun map design (way better than any AAA consolebro shooter) , the small map was basically like a cod map but without the fucked up spawn system.

I could make a very cool build with grenade launchers (30 percent chance on explosive kill to reload mag, 1 ammo reloaded per kill every time, 30 percent more dmg for each extra enemy hit in one explosion and a 20sec cooldown insta reload active ability means you can lob grenades for ages)

I didn't have a chance to try any builds for snipers or machine guns or infectors.

The weapon variety was good in the beta,ever weapon plays a lot differently, though I'm not sure how much variety there is in the full game.
The only weapon type I think that wasn't in the beta were beamguns.

Once you use the quad bikes you can never go back to shitty mounts, they are enjoyable to drive simply because they have actual suspension and aren't just an animation. You're driving not floating along an axis over the ground.

The beta was highly enjoyable but as I said I can't comment at all on how many mp maps, dungeons or variety there is in the full game.

Business realities and relationships between console makers would have to change quite a bit for that to happen, sadly. I'd love to see it though.

Oh no doubt I was just stating that the devs said algamation was possible. ;)

man this patching is taking a while xbox360 :S

Same here. With word that nextbox will always be online we won't have to do this at all next gen. I'm under the impression that whenever you log into Defiance we're always going to have to update our client.

smr00

Banned
I said screw it and bought it off GMG, decided to take a gamble.

Past 3 years i have been trying to find a MMO that could hold my interest for more than a week and so far SWTOR was the only one that has done that but a part of me wants a 2nd MMO that is different from the conventional MMORPGs (IE SWTOR, Rift, WOW etc).

I watched a few minutes of gameplay and it seems really interesting but what really concerns me is this whole TV/Game tie in where they effect each other.. What if the show gets cancelled? I know it already got renewed for a 2nd season so it's pretty much a lock the game will be supported up until mid 2014 but what about after that? Just worries me. Bleh, i am done playing it safe it's time i take a gamble on a game.

EDIT- Just realized i should of went with the digital deluxe and was going to back to GMG and get it with the 20% coupon but it's saying 7 days XP instead of 30, as where in your account management where you can upgrade it says 30 days. Is the GMG version a typo?

Effect

I might just cave on the GMG deal tonight if it's still up. They're just selling the regular version? How's the social interaction been on the PC version so far? Everyone just doing their own thing? Is there actually a usable chat system?

smr00

Banned
I might just cave on the GMG deal tonight if it's still up. They're just selling the regular version? How's the social interaction been on the PC version so far? Everyone just doing their own thing? Is there actually a usable chat system?
They are selling both regular and digital deluxe, like a fool i with the standard only to immediately regret that decision because the 30 days XP boost and the other stuff seems interesting to me.

I was going to get the digital upgrade for $32 (w/ coupon) but GMG is saying its only 7 days of the bonus xp stuff when the official store is telling me 30 so i guess i am going to cough up $8 more and get it through the official site because i don't want to get gimped out of the month.

spk

This looks lackluster but I bet it's more enjoyable than Firefall. Still waiting for the day a solid MMOFPS gets made :(, open world PVP included

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The beta was fun for the little while I was able to play but the 360 servers were super wonky and I wasn't able to get much time with it. Will keep an eye out for impressions.

Nebula

So my Brother is really pushing me to get this and I'd like to, but I know nothing about it. Anyone care to sell me the game, offer comparisons to other games ect?

Where the hell do you enter the cd key to register the game?
I bought a digital key but don't see anywhere to enter it on the defiance website.

NVM , had to go to the trion website... seems that's the only place to access your account, how obtuse.

Top Bottom