• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democrat Debate 7 [CNN] But...the electorate refused to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Was the mental health comment cool from everyone here? It was funny but I'm not sure exactly if it was completely appropriate considering how we approach mental health talks in this country.

Didn't bother me. It was cheap sure but it was fleeting. If that was a joke he kept coming back to it'd start to become a problem but as a single shot fired once it's hard for me to get worked up over it.

Does Sanders actually understand mental illness and have empathy for it? Yeah, probably. Did Sanders's joke contribute to or encourage broad stigmatization and misunderstanding of mental illness? Maybe infintessimally.

danm999

If you feel that people are forgetting this, you might be forming your impressions of GAF and Reddit. The Democratic electorate at large will vote blue, no matter what. There are some true swing voters (and they decide the election, really), but they're probably not discussing politics online.

Case in point, most of the electorate is probably not having the reaction most of GAF and Reddit did to the religious questions.

Goodstyle

I dont really care to be honest.

Ya, I'm with you on this one. Once watched on the news recently about someone asking a black voter about Hillary's emails and speeches and his answer basically amounted to "I don't give a shit lol". Most of my family members and black friends give the same response.

Conspiracies and things like "Ethics in game journalism" seems like shit mainly white people care about.

Meowster

Just remember guys, whether your a Bernie or Hillary supporter, we all must work together

T5gZJ54.png
This is a good distinction and I was happy they both took a minute to be more cordial to each other this debate (Sanders saying that they both have the stats to beat Trump, Clinton praising his accomplishments throughout this entire campaign). Tensions are running high on both sides, and believably so, as there is much to lose. They both have very similar goals, just dramatically different ways of achieving those goals.

I think I might be done with Democratic Primary debates this election now though.

Draper

To me this debate was the first one clearly won by Hillary.
She won the primary today IMO.

Bernie just didn't bring it.

I am on the complete opposite side of your stance.

Hil came off a bit weak and off her game this evening.

Bernie for once brought a bit of substance.

Nah, I'll vote for Trump if she's the nom instead. Burn this shit down.

Yeah, that's an awesome idea! I mean, who cares about the consequences? /s

I mean, come on. Voting for Trump puts a lot at risk. What about climate change? LGBT rights? The list can go on. That all is at stake if Trump or anyone from the GOP gets in.

Politics aren't supposed to be about my guy winning or bust. We all have to work together to make sure what we believe in and what's right for the people comes first, not burning it all down if one person doesn't win.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Agree with Jimmy Dore on TYT regarding Sanders' failed opportunities.
Jimmy is actually good at reframing these questions from a progressive perspective better than Bernie.

RoKKeR

The difference in the level of discourse between this and the GOP is truly shocking. Say what you will about their individual policies, but the two people on stage tonight are infinitely more qualified to become the next president.

Plumbob

Regardless of whether or not he could have done anything different or whether or not he is to blame for the current circumstances, Hillary lying about the middle class situation improving isn't doing anyone any good.

That's not an answer to the question.

What options should Obama have taken that he didn't?

I can't tell, is anyone actually seriously when they say shit like Weav said, or is it just endless trolling? I refuse to believe the latter isn't the case.

giga

Regardless of whether or not he could have done anything different or whether or not he is to blame for the current circumstances, Hillary lying about the middle class situation improving isn't doing anyone any good.
Wait, why is he to blame for the shrinking middle class? These are combination of long term structural factors as well as cyclical effects from the great recession.

I am going to caucus for Bernie in three weeks, but my caucusing will be symbolic more than anything, and I feel comfortable with Hillary, who is substantive, smart, and very aware of how her party's base wants her to govern based on what I have heard her say this primary season.

And just compare these two to the flaming garbage dump on the GOP side. Woof.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Just remember guys, whether your a Bernie or Hillary supporter, we all must work together

T5gZJ54.png

Definitely. I can't fathom why people who are willing to vote for one of the two Democratic candidates would be willing to support Trump if their candidate of choice loses the nomination. Regardless of which candidate you support, Trump stands against much of what either Democratic candidate represent. Acting like a sore loser isn't going to do anything except lead to decisions everyone will regret.

Boke1879

I can't tell, is anyone actually seriously when they say shit like Weav said, or is it just endless trolling? I refuse to believe the latter isn't the case.

I'd like to think it's trolling. If he's serious he represents such a minority it won't even matter. Still a shitty position to take if he's serious. Fuck this "for the lulz" culture.

Meowster

Hm.. I didn't think either were particularly strong this debate. They both kinda had bad answers in the latter half and were both noticeably tired and agitated. Don't think the debate will have much of an effect for either of them.

Wreav

Banned
Yeah, that's an awesome idea! I mean, who cares about the consequences? /s

I mean, come on. Voting for Trump puts a lot at risk. What about climate change? LGBT rights? The list can go on. That all is at stake if Trump or anyone from the GOP gets in.

Politics aren't supposed to be about my guy winning or bust. We all have to work together to make sure what we believe in and what's right for the people comes first, not burning it all down if one person doesn't win.

A vote for Hillary is a vote for PACs, special interests controlling the DC agenda, flip flopping and pandering to the current electorate, politicians that are too wealthy to be able to relate to the middle class of America, and political dynasties.

A vote for Trump as a democrat is punishment for the DNC giving us those types of candidates.

DWS has been naughty and needs a spanking, and I'll swat at her from my ballot.

Healthcare is actually one of the few issues where Trump isn't horribly wrong

His plans for healthcare are pretty much on par with the GOP's nonsense plans, if I'm not mistaken.

A vote for Hillary is a vote for PACs, special interests controlling the DC agenda, flip flopping and pandering to the current electorate, politicians that are too wealthy to be able to relate to the middle class of America, and political dynasties.

A vote for Trump as a democrat is punishment for the DNC giving us those types of candidates.

DWS has been naughty and needs a spanking, and I'll swat at her from my ballot.

I don't know if this is a joke or not anymore. What does DWS have to do with what I'm talking about?

Voting for any candidate from another side (especially one you don't align with) as a "punishment" for the choice in candidates selected is a dangerous way to do things, especially if you don't align with those views.

If you are truly a Democrat, I can't see how any of the GOP candidates would be someone you'd vote for. I'll leave it at that.

Valhelm

contribute something
HSAs,deregulation and lies about how much we save by negotiating for drugs?

Did you read some Trump healthcare plan I didn't read?

Key-word: horribly. He's dead-wrong when it comes to the pharmaceutical industry, but correct that a national system would be better than what the ACA provides.

Depends on what day it is.

Right. I wouldn't trust Trump to do anything, really.

Draper

They're upset that people aren't freaking out that Hilary isn't releasing her goldman Sachs speeches

I mean, it seems like a pretty reasonable request if you're trying to present yourself as honest and transparent to the American people, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom