• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic Party and Clinton campaign to sue Arizona over voting rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...dc4708-0188-11e6-b823-707c79ce3504_story.html

The Democratic Party and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign will sue the state of Arizona over voter access to the polls after the state’s presidential primary last month left thousands of residents waiting as long as five hours to vote.

The lawsuit, which will be filed on Friday, focuses on Maricopa County, the state’s most populous county, where voters faced the longest lines three weeks ago during the Democratic and Republican primaries after the county cut the number of polling places by 85 percent since 2008.

Arizona’s “alarmingly inadequate number of voting centers resulted in severe, inexcusable burdens on voters county-wide, as well as the ultimate disenfranchisement of untold numbers of voters who were unable or unwilling to wait in intolerably long lines,” the lawsuit says.

The lack of voting places was “particularly burdensome” on Maricopa County’s black, Hispanic and Native American communities, which had fewer polling locations than white communities and in some cases no places to vote at all, the lawsuit alleges.

The lawsuit is calling on the U.S. District Court of Phoenix to review the polling location plan for the November election. It also wants to stop state policies that have a “dramatic and disparate impact” on minorities, who are more likely to vote Democratic, the lawsuit says. For instance, the filing cites a recently enacted law that makes it a felony for someone to turn in a sealed absentee ballot on behalf of another voter, unless the person is a caregiver or family member.

also the DOJ is looking into
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/05/politics/justice-department-investigation-arizona/

The Department of Justice is requesting additional information from an Arizona election official after lawmakers and activists alleged voter suppression during the Arizona presidential primary last month.
Democratic lawmakers have claimed there were some working-class and primarily Latino neighborhoods that had no polling places.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a lot suits and this why the Supreme court nominations are important, they most likely will be ruling over stuff like this

Can they try to get the VRA section 5 back instituted if it goes to SCOTUS? AZ was subject to preclearence?

If something is declared unconstitutional but then they reverse it do they need to pass it again? The death penalty is a time I now the quickly overturned themselves. But I think the states had changed their laws.

dLMN8R

But I thought Hillary orchestrated this in order to make her win instead of Bernie, based on everything I saw on Reddit.

</s> in case it wasn't obvious enough

But I thought Hillary orchestrated this in order to make her win instead of Bernie, based on everything I saw on Reddit.

</s> in case it wasn't obvious enough

That she's suing doesn't mean it wasn't to her advantage during the primary.

It's best to sue now as hopefully it's case quickly taken over by a federal court that deems voter id laws unconstitutional. It is to the democratic party's advantage that by the time November rolls around Voter ID laws are overturned as it disenfranchises young voters and minorities(which both vote heavily Democratic in GE) the most.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a lot suits and this why the Supreme court nominations are important, they most likely will be ruling over stuff like this

This is one of a million reasons why the Supreme Court is important, and a particularly big one. Rulings on voting rights can effect the outcome of elections, so there can be strong ripple effects of policy changes that result from those elections.

noshten

It appears airing grievances, petitions and raising a ruckus does work
They also should sue Wisconsin for their new voter laws - which disenfranchises an estimated 300 000 people

Paskil

It appears airing grievances, petitions and raising a ruckus does work
They also should sue Wisconsin for their new voter laws - which disenfranchises an estimated 300 000 people

That went to the state and federal Supreme Court. There is another ongoing case for the individuals that have found it too difficult to obtain the needed ID, but ID is here to stay, until a different case goes to SCOTUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom