• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

FunkMiller

Yes, a perfect run would be significantly shorter, however my skill level still has me making mistakes and errors on runs already conquered. Single mistakes can occur on many different occasions and thus the multiple run throughs. I could increase my skill by playing the games more and then the issue would be nil, however the reward to time ratio to achieve that just isn't appealing enough when achieved via repetition.

Okay, so I’d argue that you are still finding the game difficult. And if the reward to time ratio isn’t appealing to you, then maybe play something else?

SonicJams

Okay, so I’d argue that you are still finding the game difficult. And if the reward to time ratio isn’t appealing to you, then maybe play something else?

Yeah, you know you're probably correct there to be honest.

If they added additional checkpoints, I think it would alleviate my particular issue, but there's equally pros and cons for that too which has been discussed in this thread already.

FunkMiller

Yeah, you know you're probably correct there to be honest.

If they added additional checkpoints, I think it would alleviate my particular issue, but there's equally pros and cons for that too which has been discussed in this thread already.

Have you played Bloodborne? I generally recommend that to people who are having a bit of an issue with Souls. It’s still hard, but is more accessible, and faster paced. An awful lot of people who can’t get on with Souls go and play Bloodborne, and have a great time with it. They then come back to Souls with a different outlook.

Also, there‘s absolutely nothing wrong with not thinking the Soulsborne games are for you. Play whatever makes you happy. Nothing else matters.

u4ea

Wow, what a bunch of D's in the comments here. I think it's a good conversation point and there is value in both sides.

DS3 is the first Souls game I got really into and finished. But it took some time.
I really don't like doing stuff over and over again so it turned me off at first until it kinda clicked.
After that the game became less difficult and I started to enjoy the difficulty and challenge.
The difficulty made it into a project and taking that away would detract a lot from the experience.

But on the other hand:
Imagine if you're only allowed to see Akira or some other foreign classic in it's native language. No subtitles or dubs (easymode).
"Lol noob, just git gud in Japanese. OP is a crybaby because he's not willing to put in months of work to learn a new language."
Or imagine Guitar Hero, but you have to start from Expert mode. You can't learn or just casually enjoy yourself with the game and music on Easy mode.

I loved DS3 but watched DS1 and DS2 playthroughs because I didn't want to battle through the jank and fully relearn how to play the game again.
There is so much cool environments and lore to discover, but some people can't experience that and that's a shame.

I would be happy and understand both decisions.

021fa2545a6e4d69fb6b6427697fbc0b.jpg

Last edited:

SonicJams

Have you played Bloodborne? I generally recommend that to people who are having a bit of an issue with Souls. It’s still hard, but is more accessible, and faster paced. An awful lot of people who can’t get on with Souls go and play Bloodborne, and have a great time with it. They then come back to Souls with a different outlook.

Also, there‘s absolutely nothing wrong with not thinking the Soulsborne games are for you. Play whatever makes you happy. Nothing else matters.

Thanks for the suggestion there. I think I'll take you up on that and see if it gives me a fresh perspective on the games and this thread as a whole.

Stuart360

Whats with the few users in this thread that seem almost offended by the fact that many of us enjoy the difficulty and challenge of these games?.
I mean if these games arent for you then cool, but no need to be so salty over people liking them.
I mean dont get me wrong, i dont need super hard difficulty in games to enjopy them, i play most games on 'Normal', but the difficulty is kind of the point of these games, and they would be much lesser games if they were easy imo.

Ar¢tos

Unless the easy mode locked people out of online play for easy mode characters, I don't see how it would be done (and for to be fair to everyone, the plat would have to require ending the game in normal mode).
Separating player bases would greatly reduce the amount of possible co-op/pvp after a few weeks and not separating would lead to easy mode newbs being invaded by expert twinks, doubling the grieving.

Dr.D00p

People here will hate me for playing through HZD on the PC, with a trainer & one shot kill enabled...that final boss battle took all of 3 seconds to defeat, it was great :messenger_beaming:

I really don't have the time, patience or attention span any longer to spend a dozen hours just mastering the controls and combat mechanics, primarily designed for spotty teens pumped full of Red Bull.

..and don't get me started on fucking 'Crafting', which is the biggest waste of fucking time game mechanic ever designed, IMO.

FunkMiller

Thanks for the suggestion there. I think I'll take you up on that and see if it gives me a fresh perspective on the games and this thread as a whole.

Pleasure. I hope it clicks for you with Bloodborne (y) Just take your time, don't get too frustrated, and don't worry about dying over and over and thinking you're crap. Every single Souls player in history is bad at the game when the first start playing them. If you want proof of that, there are plenty of Twitch Souls gamers who stream playing a fresh game for the first time, and getting their asses handed to them over and over. Watching people play Sekiro, who have put thousands of hours into the other Soulsborne games, and seeing them be awful at it, was great :messenger_beaming:

Zoro7

Banned
Why don't you train and learn to play better in the game? You know, invest on it. Works wonders.
Because not everyone has the time? Its really not a hard concept to grasp. If you have kids you may only get an hour or 2 a week if you're lucky. You don't want to spend months dying over and over. I can understand that completely.

Zoro7

Banned
Nonsense. If love to do something you aways gonna have time.
Lack of time is a loser excuse.
Lol is this guy for real. You are clearly someone who doesn't have a lot of responsibility. What an ignorant statement to make.

TTOOLL

I don't have a lot of time to play either but no. Bloodborne and DS3 kicked my ass many times but it's so rewarding in the end. I love those games and they way they make you a better player.

"For people that have a life..."

Poor dead people. They don't have a life. Anyone with a pulse does have a life even if they're brain dead comatose.

Poor Sans.

a1czdlmztdj21.jpg

Edit: As for facing a challenge that cannot and will not get any easier, I sure have lost the desire to spend TOO much time in a play session before I switch to something else. I mean I used to be hard headed and able to persevere. That's why I played Starcraft: Brood War on the Korean Ladder...and won at least 50% of the time.

Starcraft 2's unit micro, marine-maruder-medivac ball stutter-step raping my fool proof 70 zealot army w/o charge, and only 5 MINERALS PER HARVEST is way too fast for me.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I’m willing to compromise:

I’ll accept an easy mode. But easy mode should have no access to world tendencies and no access to online.

I think the difficulty is part of the “charm” of Souls and Soulslike games but I don’t really disagree.

Actually it’s more I just wouldn’t care. It doesn’t affect me at all in any way possible as long as the standard difficulty isn’t affected. Just throw it in a menu somewhere.

Last edited:
If souls games were easy you'd realize that the maps are actually very small. Souls games are abolut slowly and meticulously exploring the map.

FunkMiller

Just viewed my ignored content on this thread out of curiosity... three people on ignore from other threads... all three in here whinging about Souls game difficulty 😂

FunkMiller

Throw in some Fornite skins and we are good to go...

iOK0H42.jpg

And microtransactions. Why not completely fucking ruin just about the only great game series left for these fucking clowns entirely?

Pay five dollars to buy the uchigatana!
Ten dollars to get your character to level fifty!
Twenty dollars to bypass Ornstein & Smough!
Fifty dollars gets you exclusive access to all DLC, the complete Black Knight Armour set, all four Lord Souls and this as a fucking emote:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
Lol is this guy for real. You are clearly someone who doesn't have a lot of responsibility. What an ignorant statement to make.
hmm? If you have that many responsibilities to juggle there's no use in making niche games about you to begin with.

Sakura

Because not everyone has the time? Its really not a hard concept to grasp. If you have kids you may only get an hour or 2 a week if you're lucky. You don't want to spend months dying over and over. I can understand that completely.
Then don't play the game? I don't get it. If you only have an hour or 2 a week, then there are literally hundreds of games you probably haven't played yet that are easier and just as enjoyable. Why would you go out of your way to choose the game where half the point (or more) is the challenge, when you don't have the time and/or patience to overcome said challenge? The game isn't for you.
Imagine buying a roguelike and bitching that there is permadeath, because you don't have time for that shit? Or buying a metroidvania and bitching that you don't have time to get items/abilities to unlock areas, so there should be an option where it is all unlocked from the getgo?
It doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Zoro7

Banned
Then don't play the game? I don't get it. If you only have an hour or 2 a week, then there are literally hundreds of games you probably haven't played yet that are easier and just as enjoyable. Why would you go out of your way to choose the game where half the point (or more) is the challenge, when you don't have the time and/or patience to overcome said challenge? The game isn't for you.
Imagine buying a roguelike and bitching that there is permadeath, because you don't have time for that shit? Or buying a metroidvania and bitching that you don't have time to get items/abilities to unlock areas, so there should be an option where it is all unlocked from the getgo?
It doesn't make any goddamn sense.
But I want to play this game. Who the fuck are you to tell me what I should play in my spare time. This is so fucking stupid. Literally adding an easy option doesn’t affect anyone here.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Who the fuck are you to tell me what I should play in my spare time.
If they don’t want add difficulty option to their games then they shouldn’t be force to. As consumer, if you don’t like it then simply don’t buy it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So according to 80% of the comments here these games are only good because they are "hard"....

Sounds like a shit reason for a game to be good tbh.
Souls combat system is not fast or flashy like DMC/Bayonetta. the difficulty comes from the fact you have limited mobility, and enemies/bosses can hit you hard, so you can't just rush to the enemies and instead you need to find good opening for your attack. If the game is too easy then slow movement and combat is just going to bore people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom