• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demonizing male sexuality in the USA: i.e. Why are men made to feel like rapists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a huge problem in the United States with prejudice against men's sexuality, by women and by the media.

Here's the stigma:

The male (any male) is seen by a huge number of women (perhaps even most women) as a rapist in waiting who'd love nothing more than to slip a pill in her drink and throw her in the back of his windowless minivan.

To these women it doesn't matter if the man is single, married, out looking for a one-night-stand, gay, out looking to buy a video game, or even a monk. I've spoken with many guys from all walks of life who have told me stories of women flipping out on them just for the most innocent interactions.

One recent extreme example of this: A friend's younger brother is a sophomore in college, and part of an engineering-related activity group. This girl in the group has been working with this guy for at least several months. So during a group party (some alcohol involved but no one was very drunk), this group of about 9 people are congregating to take a group photo, and the guy puts his arm on her shoulder, maybe earlier than other people started doing the same, but close to the same time. Also, earlier in the night he complimented her outfit. After a couple seconds her breathing increases, then she freaks out, throws his arm off and yells, "Help! He's trying to rape me; he touched me without my permission! I feel violated..." She proceeds to cry and threaten him with a lawsuit. At which point some saner members of the group take her aside and talk to her, trying to calm her down.

I've noticed an increasing trend of women banding together to complain about the "creepers" and "sketchy guys" at social events. In college, girls in my dorm would refer to any guy more than a year or 2 older than them as a creeper; unless of course the guy was an athlete.

But what makes a man a "creeper" or "sketchy"? Because it's not just the 40-something greasy dude hitting on college age girls or the guy who spends the entire night staring at a girl from across the room with his hands in his pockets. It's everyone, except perhaps for guys who are so desirable in the girl's eyes that all rape-fear washes away...the hip, attractive young doctor pulling in 250K a year, the famous musician, the musclebound and famous college athlete.

Men these days are afraid to flirt, afraid to seek relationships, afraid to even talk to many women. So the men stop really trying to meet women and become more easily pushed around, less confident, in essence, more "beta".

I blame ridiculous sexual harrassment training classes from as early as 2nd grade (at least that early in my school.)

Case in point: the hoverhand phenomenon:

hover-hand-so-close.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417784

Sure many of these guys are simply anxious insecure virgins, but hell, I hoverhanded for years after losing my virginity, mostly with girls I didn't know too wells since I had it drilled into my head for decades not to touch a woman unless she either touches you first or explicitly grants permission. It was a foreign concept to me from the ages of 8 to 16 that a woman would *want* to be hit on in a sexual way by a man.

That's why we see so many "beta males" these days. They are afraid of people's potential reactions to them if they were to be more confident with women. They simply don't want drinks thrown in their face at the bar if they offer a the girl a flirty compliment or touch them even in a non-sexual, playful way. They don't want to be labelled a weirdo or creep.

SO WHAT DOES SOCIETY NEED TO DO TO SAVE THE SORRY STATE OF MEN AND GIVE THEM THEIR CONFIDENCE BACK?

some ideas:
1) Cut back on the huge numbers of sexual harrassment classes that make it seem like you'll go to jail for flirting with a girl.
2) Stop those college "gender relations" skits/programs that you get on the first weekend that teach you that every college male student wants to drug and rape every female student.
3) A bigger push for men to try to be more "alpha" in their relations with women. "Alpha" in the social sense as laid out in pick-up artist books such as The Game by Neill Strauss.
4) Remove radical feminism from mandatory sexual harassment classes, and don't start these classes at such a young age.

TL;DR:

So GAF....any stories showcasing this ridiculous fear of men's sexuality? What is the solution to this?

EDIT to clarify my stance on sexual harassment programs:

I think anti-sexual-harrassment programs are great, I just think that some of them have gone too far.

Hence the fear many men have of making first physical contact with a girl, or even approaching a random girl in a bar/at a party/on the street even if just for simple conversation or to ask the time.

I know women of course have it harder than men when it comes to worrying about rape, and women live in a world that is terribly unfair to them in many ways.

But there should be a solution to this which doesn't create what is in my opinion an extreme overeactive defense mechanism against all men.[/B]

Dead Man

I always found American girls baffling. No idea what causes it, but they have some weird ideas about sex and men. Might be related to so much shame in America around sex. Not really an answer to your post OP, sorry about that.

oneils

Takao said:
You really made a thread about this.

Yeah, I don't even...

From the looks of the end of your post, it seems like you just have a big beef with harassment training. Why? Have you ever been personally accused with harassment? I don't really understand your post. Seems like paranoia to me.

akira28

Interesting topic, not so great execution. Will be offshore, in my yacht, monitoring your progress.

oh yeah blah blah buyers market blah blah rape act of control and aggression, blah blah, break on through to the other side, you're either a creep or your not, yadda yadda, the end.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
akira28 said:
Interesting topic, not so great execution. Will be offshore, in my yacht, monitoring your progress.

with a pair of binoculars, eating popcorn i presume?

akira28 said:

Lol.

If you could articulate the issue better, please do. Seriously, I just want to help discussion.

Shanadeus

Banned
Oh, I have a number of solutions:

Standardize testosterone levels across both sexes

24/7 surveillance of all public places along with private video/audio recorders (possibly implanted ones) to watch over all citizens

Put in place as good as possible sexual gender equality by offering free abortions to women, subsidized surrogate care for women and free contraception to both genders. Also outfit all females with stun guns to make up for imbalance in bodily mass across the two sexes.

The above along with general gender equality in society

Pick and chose, we'll take it from there.

1) Cut back on the huge numbers of sexual harrassment classes that make it seem like you'll go to jail for flirting with a girl.
2) Stop those college "gender relations" skits/programs that you get on the first weekend that teach you that every college male student wants to drug and rape every female student.
3) A bigger push for men to try to be more "alpha" in their relations with women. "Alpha" in the social sense as laid out in pick-up artist books such as The Game by Neill Strauss.
4) Remove radical feminism from mandatory sexual harassment classes, and don't start these classes at such a young age.
No, no, no, and no.
At the end of the day, women are raped/sexually assaulted/harassed significantly more by men than the other way around.

WedgeX

Banned
Hmm. So, did you get drunk and have a drink thrown in your face tonight? Because the timing, around midnight on a Saturday night, would be awfully convenient.

Where the hell did you go to school that you had sexual harassment classes in 2nd grade? For that matter, where the hell did you go to college that sexual harassment classes were mandatory?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Shanadeus said:

24/7 surveillance of all public places along with private video/audio recorders (possibly implanted ones) to watch over all citizens

Put in place as good as possible sexual gender equality by offering free abortions to women, subsidized surrogate care for women and free contraception to both genders. Also outfit all females with stun guns to make up for imbalance in bodily mass across the two sexes.

Awesome, its like you're back from your ban as a parody of your old self.

Also, solution three is pretty good by me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TekkenMaster said:

Except... they need that idea planted in their head so they don't go blackout drunk and then OH NOES I HAD SEX WHILE BLACK OUT DRUNK! (Which, of course, still happens, but...) While not every male is going to jump out and rape them, they should be defensive about it. Maybe not to the point of where you're thinking every guy is going to rape you, but yeah...

In before I'm called a white knight by men that don't get what I mean.

Where the hell did you go to school that you had sexual harassment classes in 2nd grade?

Also this. I don't think sexual harassment classes are mandatory outside of work and maybe living in dorms.

Shanadeus said:

No, no, no, and no.
At the end of the day, women are raped/sexually assaulted/harassed significantly more by men than the other way around.

I agree with the free abortions idea, and that women should be encouraged to carry stun guns when in places that they feel are dangerous.

TheSeks said:
Except... they need that idea planted in their head so they don't go blackout drunk and then OH NOES I HAD SEX WHILE BLACK OUT DRUNK! (Which, of course, still happens, but...) While not every male is going to jump out and rape them, they should be defensive about it. Maybe not to the point of where you're thinking every guy is going to rape you, but yeah...

In before I'm called a white knight by men that don't get what I mean.

I don't think you're white knighting, and I agree that telling girls to be aware and cautious isn't a bad thing, but the whole "1 in 4 of these men around you is/will be a rapist" kind of talk is really not helpful. Guess I've just seen some terrible execution of the concept.

IrrelevantNotch said:
Mods, I humbly suggest you ban this type of content before it grows

By "this type of content" are you referring to joke threads that people will take seriously for some reason, or male focused gender equality threads in general? If the latter I would very strongly disagree, because there are actual valid issues to be discussed there.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
timetokill said:
I don't think you're white knighting, and I agree that telling girls to be aware and cautious isn't a bad thing, but the whole "1 in 4 of these men around you is/will be a rapist" kind of talk is really not helpful. Guess I've just seen some terrible execution of the concept.
Yeah, that really strikes me as confusing instilling caution with instilling paranoia.

i think if you want to express your male sexuality in the USA you should talk to some gay dudes

those guys are always getting laid

Shanadeus said:
No, no, no, and no.

So you think it's the right thing to teach boy and girl children from the 2nd or 3rd grade that even innocent flirting in a non-work environment is immoral, illegal and a sign of impending rape?

TheSeks said:
Also this. I don't think sexual harassment classes are mandatory outside of work and maybe living in dorms.
Unless you're talking about coed dorms, I don't see dorms really needing it, let alone making it mandatory. I lived in a coed dorm my last 2 semesters of college and didn't have to.

Then again, I've never had to take mandatory SH classes in any place I've worked.

Dead Man

TekkenMaster said:
So you think it's the right thing to teach boy and girl children from the 2nd or 3rd grade that anything a man says that even innocent flirting in a non-work environment is immoral, illegal and a sign of impending rape?
I think you maybe need to provide evidence that there are such things in the 2nd grade.

oneils

timetokill said:

I don't think that is the stat that is bandied around. Instead it is something like "1 in 4 women are a victim of sexual assault." Big difference.

Bluth

TekkenMaster said:
So you think it's the right thing to teach boy and girl children from the 2nd or 3rd grade that even innocent flirting in a non-work environment is immoral, illegal and a sign of impending rape?

Except that's not what they teach.

TheSeks

timetokill said:

Which I don't disagree with, but "abandoning it" is crazy. I think a better idea is to have "people need to look out for themselves and distrust people until people are proven to be non-harmful" classes. Having a little street smarts and common sense goes a long way.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
y "this type of content" are you referring to joke threads that people will take seriously for some reason, or male focused gender equality threads in general? If the latter I would very strongly disagree, because there are actual valid issues to be discussed there.

Except for the most part, those threads turn into "RAWR MEN ARE BEING BEATEN DOWN BY WOMAN NAZIS" or whatever the fuck wording you want to use. They're okay in theory, but in practice they go to shit REALLY fast.

blame space said:
i think if you want to express your male sexuality in the USA you should talk to some gay dudes

those guys are always getting laid

You obviously haven't been to the gay thread in some dry spells. :p

dream

I'm kinda with the OP but that might just be because I hooked up with a random girl the other night and felt compelled to ask her if she was sure about 3 or 4 times.

WedgeX said:
Hmm. So, did you get drunk and have a drink thrown in your face tonight? Because the timing, around midnight on a Saturday night, would be awfully convenient.

Nope, I'm not planning on going out tonight actually. With the hoverhand thread and all this talk around the web of alphas/betas I thought it would make for an entertaining thread.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
-The first half is just anecdotal.
-I call creepy guys creepy all the time and I'm a guy.
-I never seen a person hover hand in real life. I never have.
-You posted a picture of a celebirty hover hander to help your argument? lol
-I think the majority of people don't where sexual harrassment classes are or know anyone that goes.
-Never seen a skit but talking about rape is important.
-This thread is shit

Shanadeus

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
So you think it's the right thing to teach boy and girl children from the 2nd or 3rd grade that anything a man says that even innocent flirting in a non-work environment is immoral, illegal and a sign of impending rape?
Yes, because men are in a stronger position in society and will be for a couple of more decades.
If every male walked around as your "Alpha"-example, I assumed that women would just have to deal with getting touched all the time - all in the name of non-creepy flirting for the sake of man-kind.

Same things with compliments and catcalling, nowadays women have the choice of whether or not they will be flattered or repulsed by such an action. Go back 50 years ago and it would be a completely different scenario, with women not complaining or being taken serious due to societal norms&expectations - and that's exactly what would happen again if anything you suggested were to be implemented.

Heck, even today a woman can find herself not taken serious if she get upset over a pat on the butt or a catcall from an attractive and successful male.

Dead Man said:
I always found American girls baffling. No idea what causes it, but they have some weird ideas about sex and men. Might be related to so much shame in America around sex. Not really an answer to your post OP, sorry about that.

I think so too.

dream said:
I'm kinda with the OP but that might just be because I hooked up with a random girl the other night and felt compelled to ask her if she was sure about 3 or 4 times.

Ain't nothin' wrong with desiring enthusiastic consent. Better yet make her do the work. ;).

Anytime I see alpha or beta used in a way that's not sarcastic or mocking I already know it's a throw-away post. Good job OP. I hope for your sake this is copy-pasta.

TheSeks

hikarutilmitt said:
Unless you're talking about coed dorms, I don't see dorms really needing it, let alone making it mandatory. I lived in a coed dorm my last 2 semesters of college and didn't have to.

Then again, I've never had to take mandatory SH classes in any place I've worked.

Eh, it isn't really "mandatory" but there is sexual harassment videos in retail and the like on your first day. That's what I semi-consider "mandatory" because by law they have to tell you this stuff as a liability "hey, we told him" sue-cover-ass thing.

Jugglekenmaster said:
With the hoverhand thread and all this talk around the web of alphas/betas

Except these things aren't a "symptom" or a "problem." Okay, maybe hoverhand. But "alpha/beta male" has been here FAR longer than feminism RAH RAH WOMEN has. There's some men that are nervous around girls that they don't know what to do. It happens.

Bluth said:
Except that's not what they teach.

Then maybe I just had a very, very strict sexual harassment curriculum - I went to a Quaker private school in the late 80's / 90's with a very small class (only 45 students)

Still, in many discussions I've had with people about the Hoverhand phenomenon, the topic of simply being afraid that a women will take shoulder-touching as sexual harassment or a "creepy move by a creepy guy" has come up a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom