• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls can have a direct sequel in the future.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
canova said:
not possible. Sony would not ask From Soft to make Demon's Souls 2

That would be conflict of interest. Project Dark and Demon's Souls will be in direct competition.

FromSoftware made Chromehounds for SEGA on 360 in 2006 , then released their own Armored Core 4 next year on 360 , and we know they made a mech game for other publishers like " ACE:R" while working on the new Armored Core ,so if Sony/SCEJ give them the right amount of money they will do it.

don't get the sony hate on this topic. sounds to me like sony wants another one but they have to get from software to agree to another PS3 exclusive in order to do so. from gets to make a sequel and have it multiplatform by doing project dark, so they don't have much reason to make a real DS2 right now, do they?

a similar situation to L5/Sony with dark cloud 3 and rogue galaxy 2. they both have to come to the table for anything to happen. L5 is too busy and hates me personally and all i stand for.

sublimit

Banned
charlequin said:
Patents are public and filed for before a product is released; that's how the system works. If Demon's Souls is out on the market (it is) and there isn't a publicly available patent on a system within the game (there isn't) then none of the systems in the game is protected by patent law nor will any of them become patentable in the future.

Ok then,thanks for explaining and confirming.If we are sure that nothing was filed for Demon's Souls then that's a good thing since it will give freedom to From Software to "borrow" gameplay mechanics from Demon's Souls and use them for Project dark (if they want to.)

MvmntInGrn said:
This(start around 283) is the only thread I can find that talks about the TGS videos. Quite a few comments about the stiff-looking combat (though in most of the TGS videos I don't think anyone used lock-on).

From that link:

I didn't really know about From at the time, but knowing what I know now this is probably the outcome I would have assumed for the game. Luckily it ended up very different. :D
Oh hey that's me! I'm very glad I was wrong about nobody buying it! In retrospect I think the delayed Western release worked in the game's favor. I think it would have received a far chillier reception from the US press if the internet hadn't spent most of the year frothing over the import. I bet you would have seen more scores in line with Famitsu's. "Too hard, too depressing, too linear, why is there a stamina bar, why aren't there checkpoints. IGN sez: 3.0 (not an average)"

If you wanna find more old-timey Demon's Souls posts I specifically remember a thread where RevenantKioku offered his impressions of the TGS demo, so you could probably try checking his post history. Or mine or any of the other King's Field lovers in the thread you linked. I think the same half-dozen guys posted in every pre-release thread. From Software posse 4 life.

Anyway, the negativity wasn't nearly as bad as the many "This must be Japan's answer to OBLIVION!!!" posts. Though the people wanting to credit Sony (or Sony's money) for the game's quality are the worst of all. Demon's Souls is a From game through and through. Everyone who doubts this should go play King's Field.

Skilletor

Rummy Bunnz said:
Anyway, the negativity wasn't nearly as bad as the many "This must be Japan's answer to OBLIVION!!!" posts. Though the people wanting to credit Sony (or Sony's money) for the game's quality are the worst of all. Demon's Souls is a From game through and through. Everyone who doubts this should go play King's Field.

I typically hate anything from 1st person point of view, but I might do this. What's the best King's Field on ps2?

Canova

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
This(start around 283) is the only thread I can find that talks about the TGS videos. Quite a few comments about the stiff-looking combat (though in most of the TGS videos I don't think anyone used lock-on).

From that link:

I didn't really know about From at the time, but knowing what I know now this is probably the outcome I would have assumed for the game. Luckily it ended up very different. :D

:lol It's funny to read some of the comments from that thread

looks generic

:lol :lol

Kuran

Banned
I want a Demon's Souls 2 on PSP2... am I wrong? Please!

We should round everyone up screaming 'generic' in the original TGS Demon's Souls thread, and give them two to the head.

soldat7

sublimit said:
Really?Do you think that SCEJ's involvement was only about the funding?If it is so then why the last Armored Core games turned out like shit?

Different projects? Different teams? Different style of game? Series fatigue? Lack of innovation? Lots of potential reasons. Maybe Demon's Souls plays to From's design and development strengths. Keep in mind, From has a history in this type of game already (see King's Field.)

As to SCEJ's involvement, it's all conjecture until we have some cold hard facts.

Noshino

vireland said:
Dark Souls, the multiplatform, multiplayer sequel to Demon's Souls in everything but name.

Actually, there is a bunch of staff that worked on Demon's Souls that are not part of From Software....

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/demons-souls/credits

So yah, as much as I hope to play another game with the same kind of concept, it's hard to consider it a sequel "in everything by name".

For the record, that has no bearing on the quality of the game >_>

Peff

Noshino said:
Actually, there is a bunch of staff that worked on Demon's Souls that are not part of From Software....

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/demons-souls/credits

So yah, as much as I hope to play another game with the same kind of concept, it's hard to consider it a sequel "in everything by name".

For the record, that has no bearing on the quality of the game >_>

Both Movanova and Shirogumi are third parties and there's no real reason for them not to work on Project Dark too, just like they might not have worked on Demon's Souls 2 if it were to have been made. In fact Movanova also worked on Ninja Blade, a 360 exclusive. The only staff that clearly won't be returning is Sony's, and the roles listed aren't important to development itself.

Replicant

People forget that Demon's Souls is actually a collaboration of both SCEJ and FROM SOFTWARE. The fact that people from SCEJ won't be involved with Project Dark will make that project markedly different.

canova said:
not possible. Sony would not ask From Soft to make Demon's Souls 2

That would be conflict of interest. Project Dark and Demon's Souls will be in direct competition.
If "Project Dark" is successful, I don't see a From Software co-developed Demon's Souls II, either. However, if it bombs, I can definitely see From agreeing to another Demon's Souls, with more support and marketing from Sony. It all depends on where From Software stands to make more money.

As for conflict of interest, a From-developed "Project Dark" and Demon's Souls II would never compete, since they would never be in development at the same time.

Replicant said:
People forget that Demon's Souls is actually a collaboration of both SCEJ and FROM SOFTWARE. The fact that people from SCEJ won't be involved with Project Dark will make that project markedly different.
god no it does not.

this is my entire point; looking at the history of what from software has previously produced compared to demon's souls, there is so much in common with games that SCEJ has had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH that i cannot believe SCEJ had very much creative input on demon's souls. at least not in the way that from software can't implement with a new game on their own.

demon's souls is not a sony game.

Oh my god I would never endorse or play a non-FROM DS. well maybe I'd play an SCEJ or something. <3 this is why I'm so pumped for Project Dark

alba

Little is the new Big
Please give me Demon's Souls 2 (from From Software) with move support, that's all I'm asking :D

alba said:
Please give me Demon's Souls 2 (from From Software) with move support, that's all I'm asking :D
Fuck yeah. The reticule system was ridiculous in DS. It really showed how restrictive it was when fighting Maneaters. FFS. Imagine full move support with precise aiming! :eek: sweet blissss

Replicant

Rabbitwork said:
god no it does not.

this is my entire point; looking at the history of what from software has previously produced compared to demon's souls, there is so much in common with games that SCEJ has had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH that i cannot believe SCEJ had very much creative input on demon's souls. at least not in the way that from software can't implement with a new game on their own.

demon's souls is not a sony game.

Your opinion and belief have nothing to do with the facts. The fact is that SCEJ helped FROM SOFT to develop Demon's Souls. And that's why if you look at the back of the box, you can read that it's the property of SCEJ.

Also:

Before the start of the two-year[23] development period, according to lead director Hidetaka Miyazaki, the studio had previously ruled out the following game to be a new installment to the King's Field series.[23] Instead SCEJ producer Takeshi Kajii described the game as a "spiritual successor" to King's Field,[24] where he stated "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too," explaining the development choice as an opportunity to be more creative and potentially innovative, stating "If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new."[24] Many elements from the King's Field series however can be found including the dark fantasy setting, role-playing elements and high difficulty. Besides King's Field, Kajii also mentioned fantasy-themed gamebooks such as Fighting Fantasy and Titan as inspiration for many location and character designs.[25] Other style of characters such as the "Adjudicator" boss taking some influences from pagan folklore, yet rather than exactly deriving from other designs, instead the design process involved "mixing a couple of images of primitive gods together" to create a "raw concept" with "an unusual and chaotic feel".[23]

Alex

I wouldn't mind Sony taking a stab at it too even if From wasn't involved (since they're doin' their own thing, which is great), it's not like consoles are exactly swimming in great dungeon hacks.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So much depth and little neat tricks you can do in the game.

You guys catch that speed run of DS? I never knew that dodge was so powerful! :lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
TK: At the moment, my answer is "no sequel!" However, we have been encouraged by all the players, and this title is so well supported, and besides we like this title so much… Well, this is my own feeling, but I think one day we could bring you another Demon's Souls...

Yeah one day doesn't cut it. we are also gonna get ZOE 3 ONE DAY :(

I don't want a DIRECT sequal, Project dark is the perfect step I wanted them to take.:D

Platy

Peff said:
Seriously, can anyone think of a developer SCEJ could commision that would make a good sequel?

I would love to see Treasure's take on the franchise to see how insanely impossible hard it the game would be

bullet hell without aircrafts = arrow hell xD

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yurt said:
Yeah one day doesn't cut it. we are also gonna get ZOE 3 ONE DAY :(

I don't want a DIRECT sequal, Project dark is the perfect step I wanted them to take.:D

it's not like Project Dark must get canceled for Demon's Souls to have a sequel or something , From is working on that , so why not DS2 in the future? there are not many games like that anyway on consoles , so why not ? and Demon's Souls universe (Boletaria) is very interesting , I don't mind to return to it someday in a prequel or sequel.

zlatko

Banned
Game developers and publishers are fucking idiots beyond belief this generation.

They bitch how hard it is to come up with a new IP that will catch the interest of gamers and make sales, yet won't jump to do a proper sequel when they manage to do just that?

Demon's Souls as far as I could see sold great for a new IP...and a new IP from Japan too since they have been producing duds sales number wise for too long.

Demon's Souls 2 could easily break 1 million world wide if executed well and it wouldn't even need to do much different from the originals formula to do that. Basically what I'm saying is they shouldn't be beating around the bush to getting a Demon's Souls 2 out with the same development team and let them build up on it.

soldat7

Replicant said:

Edge Interview said:
From the first blueprint laid down by the design team, Demon’s Souls changed very little. Even the innovative network features that allow players to leave one another clues and hints – such as in-game FAQs pasted to the environment – or to see where and how other players died via ghostly replays were set from the beginning. Nevertheless, these features were the most difficult part of selling the vision to Sony.

Edge Interview said:
In part, this alienation derived from the slow pacing of the game, which, in its condition that players think before acting, requires some adjustment. While many claim the game is difficult, in reality it’s just unforgiving. For those who approach the game with the correct mindset, it’s both fair and rewarding. Fools rush in. “We were sure we went too far in this,” says Miyazaki. “The team kept waiting for Sony to tell us to rethink our approach but that instruction never came.” Kajii explains: “At Sony we try to deliver games that can touch the widest possible number of users, so there was a critical decision to be made: do we to ask From Software to make the game more accessible, or do we let the team pursue the creative road it set for this project? Of course, we chose the latter and, mercifully, it was the right decision.”

Sony's involvement was basically "Do what you want, we'll handle the worldwide release." *snicker*snicker*

zlatko said:
Game developers and publishers are fucking idiots beyond belief this generation.

They bitch how hard it is to come up with a new IP that will catch the interest of gamers and make sales, yet won't jump to do a proper sequel when they manage to do just that?

Demon's Souls as far as I could see sold great for a new IP...and a new IP from Japan too since they have been producing duds sales number wise for too long.

Demon's Souls 2 could easily break 1 million world wide if executed well and it wouldn't even need to do much different from the originals formula to do that. Basically what I'm saying is they shouldn't be beating around the bush to getting a Demon's Souls 2 out with the same development team and let them build up on it.
Heck I'd buy DS2 if it was just the exact same thing but with different Archstones. Except Boleteria. <3 Boleteria.

it will be great to revisit boletaria.

they could flesh out the world bit by bit over the years and give us the missing chapter. many epic things can happen with the lore they've established.

Sony had their chance to publish the first game in NA, they passed. Then they had their chance to pay for an exclusive sequel, they passed.

I prefer the old name to the new but Sony can gtfo with their johnny come lately love for the franchise.

Top Bottom