• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Beta |OT| Garry's Mod

What's the best class?

Results are only viewable after voting.

EL CUCO

4vs4 Control is like a merry go round.
That map is just way too small. When you factor in how quickly you can cap a zone now and how agressive the spawn flip is, you just go around in circles. If you do get to hold a couple of zones long enough, you eventually end up spawn camping the other team, resulting in a mercy which doesnt even give you a chance to use a super.

That map is bad for control.

giphy.gif

At least on the map we got 6v6 would be a clusterfuck. 4v4 on this map = you never/rarely spawn 10 feet away from a guy ready to kill you but you never have to run too much to find an enemy or teammate either. You'll find a dude across a lane easily if you know where to look, but if you're careless with cover/ability you'll run into 2 guys and get teamed. Honestly it's the best spawn design the game has had so far, largely I assume because the maps don't have to fit lobbies with a 100% size variation across playlists.
Never/rarely? This was happening quite often. Spawning right next to enemies.

4v4 doesn't fix their bad spawn design. Tiny maps certainly don't help either.

ocean

Banned
Never/rarely? This was happening quite often. Spawning right next to enemies.
Wow that's a real bummer. I played for hours yesterday and the day before with a full team and we would call it out when it happened as an "oh shit lol hadn't seen this in a while".

By any chance did this happen while Power Play was active for you or the enemy team?

bigJP

Wow that's a real bummer. I played for hours yesterday and the day before with a full team and we would call it out when it happened as an "oh shit lol hadn't seen this in a while".

By any chance did this happen while Power Play was active for you or the enemy team?

stupid question, what happens during a powerplay or what is a powerplay?

Damn

Picked up an NV code for cheap last week but I'm way more of PvE guy and skimming through this thread it sounds like that may be gettin the shaft this time around. Bummed to read some of this.

Are we to close to ship window for them to balance some of this stuff? I can't imagine another Destiny shipping in a less than stellar state and needing multiple patches/expansions to get back to where it should've been at launch.

At least the pc version will hopefully look nice I guess....

That map is just way too small. When you factor in how quickly you can cap a zone now and how agressive the spawn flip is, you just go around in circles. If you do get to hold a couple of zones long enough, you eventually end up spawn camping the other team, resulting in a mercy which doesnt even give you a chance to use a super.

That map is bad for control.

But all the maps are smaller for 4v4, right? I cant imagine any of maps not being a merry go round.

Imo, 4 players isnt enough to guard and capture when there are 3 points. That plus not gaining points over time from zones I think pushes people to just cap the next zone since you get points when you cap it and not for holding.

At 6 players theres enough for 2 people for each point. At 4 players you cannot be evenly dispersed and even then, you aren't incentivized enough to guard it anyways. I think only 2 points would cause more people to guard, but even then the small player count and mode rules would probably still cause a merry go round.

Temujen

Neo Member
I hate that they are sticking with our guardian not speaking.

So we're basically the sack of meat that the real protagonist of the game - Ghost - has to drag around with him because he doesn't have hands to hold a gun.

Can someone tell me why Destiny 2 multiplayer is 30 fps?

Battlefield 1
Battlefront
Battlefront 2
Annual call of duty
Halo 5
Uncharted 4
Rainbow six siege
Titanfall 2
Overwatch

Every single one of these games have launched since Destiny 1 and they all have 60fps multiplayer, even if they have 30fps campaigns.

Not a chance PvP ever gets truly competitive on console.

I've been asking this since the details got announced. The only response I got was "Design choices."

It's BS and completely unacceptable in 2017. Not to mention they went from 6v6 to 4v4.

bigJP

But all the maps are smaller for 4v4, right? I cant imagine any of maps not being a merry go round.

Imo, 4 players isnt enough to guard and capture when there are 3 points. That plus not gaining points over time from zones I think pushes people to just cap the next zone since you get points when you cap it and not for holding.

At 6 players theres enough for 2 people for each point. At 4 players you cannot be evenly dispersed and even then, you aren't incentivized enough to guard it anyways. I think only 2 points would cause more people to guard, but even then the small player count and mode rules would probably still cause a merry go round.

you guard 2 points and force the other team to spawn in the 3rd. coming from halo, always a bad idea to control all zones as it messes up spawns. no idea if this is the case for d2

ocean

Banned
stupid question, what happens during a powerplay or what is a powerplay?
Not stupid at all. Power Play is what Destiny 2 calls it when all 3 zones are capped in Control. It's a very advantageous situation because your kills are worth triple, and it can flip the tables quickly on scoring. But it's really hard to keep all 3 zones capped because enemies will spawn near a zone and your team can hardly spread out to keep control of it all.

bigJP

Not stupid at all. Power Play is what Destiny 2 calls it when all 3 zones are capped in Control. It's a very advantageous situation because your kills are worth triple, and it can flip the tables quickly on scoring. But it's really hard to keep all 3 zones capped because enemies will spawn near a zone and your team can hardly spread out to keep control of it all.

never knew. makes my previous comment regarding zone control incomplete now lol

ocean

Banned

you guard 2 points and force the other team to spawn in the 3rd. coming from halo, always a bad idea to control all zones as it messes up spawns. no idea if this is the case for d2
Yeah like bigJP said getting all 3 zones is rarely worth the risk.

A general match goes like this: both teams start off with A/C and spawn by them. You can either sprint to B, or you can count on the enemy team heading to B and leaving their own spawn unattended and head there instead. An initial skirmish takes place and one team will usually come out on top with 2 zones. The idea is keeping 2 zones for as long as possible, not getting and guarding all 3. It worked this way even when it was 6v6 - getting the third cap was an easy way to mess up spawns and end up losing 2.

ocean

Banned
never knew. makes my previous comment regarding zone control incomplete now lol
Not really, your point still stands. D1/D2 both make it super high risk to get the third zone since you'll have people spawn all over the place. You'll generally only have 3 zones for any meaningful amount of time if facing a much, much inferior team.

Double post :notlikethis: sorry

I didn't notice if it was more so during a power play or not, to be honest. It was definitely happening enough that it was noticeable, overall. Spawn, and there would be someone right around the corner or in my line of sight. I got some cheeky kills from getting an unintentional drop on people lol.

Navid

You did notice that there's a second path you cant access in the beta? It'll probably be a smaller, faster Lance type Nova Bomb with tracking.
Yeah, I've looked at that stuff but they seem like straight upgrades to abilities rather than customisation options with alternative paths.

While I'm airing my misgivings, I definitely wish they had upped the FoV compared to Destiny 1.

EL CUCO

Yea but this particular map is so small that if you take 5 steps passed B it already spawns the other team behind you. You dont even have to attempt to cap the 3rd zone. It makes control matches kinda boring to play imo.

H4r4kiri

Am I the only one who thinks the Controls are not that precise ? I feel with Destiny 1 ( and CoD and Titanfall) I have a lot better aim. This feels a bit sluggish.

Mindwipe

Am I the only one who thinks the Controls are not that precise ? I feel with Destiny 1 ( and CoD and Titanfall) I have a lot better aim. This feels a bit sluggish.

Definitely.

Also heavily dependent on the class - which is weird. The end of the story mission with the rotating arms is just so bizarre for what's supposed to be an intro mission. It's completely fine for some classes, but say default Dawnblade players will find it nearly impossible, and will probably die 10+ times. Yes, things might be recut for the release, but it it feels underdesigned and arbitrary.

Something is definitely off, I thought at first it was maybe because I was used to Overwatch and needed to readjust but after spending some time with it, it is definitely messed up, particularly horizontal movement. It's hard to describe other than it feels like it's dragging or something and yes I tried different sensitivities. It's been the biggest complication for me in trying to enjoy this. On PS4 btw.

Tawpgun

I've been asking this since the details got announced. The only response I got was "Design choices."

It's BS and completely unacceptable in 2017. Not to mention they went from 6v6 to 4v4.

If they somehow separated them out, I think they could have made the PvP 60fps.

But they have said the reasoning was partially design, partially hardware. In that they could have sacrificed some design elements like bigger levels, more enemies, less physics etc. for 60fps, but decided they wanted to keep those. Basically, Destiny 2, as its built, cannot run 60fps on consoles.

I'm not sure how you want them to prove that to you. Send you a dev kit and the entire code?

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed. Hell I might have even said fuck those extra enemies, give me my 60. But whatever. We'll see how bigger the game truly is.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Whatever Destiny's faults (and it had many) it was always possible to somewhat overlook them because just the basic feeling of moving around and shooting was just so SO satisfying.

It's amazing to me that they would risk messing that core feeling up, but going by some feedback even THAT has been compromised. Am I putting too much stock in the reactions that mention this, or would most of you agree that it's been affected?

eggydoo

I think it's the weapons...some definitely have higher aim assist. The starter handcannon, on the Titan feel a lot crispier to me compared to the starter handcannon on the Lock/Hunter. Even the Titan's AR seems to stick better, to me at least.

urge26

To each his/her own, but put me in the loving PvP camp. Maybe because I'm not 15 and don't have the twitch reflexes, but it got tiresome to constantly get shotgunned, or camp sniped, or supered every 4 seconds.... it feels more balanced and fits how I like to play PvP a lot more.

Gator86

Whatever Destiny's faults (and it had many) it was always possible to somewhat overlook them because just the basic feeling of moving around and shooting was just so SO satisfying.

It's amazing to me that they would risk messing that core feeling up, but going by some feedback even THAT has been compromised. Am I putting too much stock in the reactions that mention this, or would most of you agree that it's been affected?

The feel of shooting is definitely slightly different. It's probably part of their effort to increase the skill game so they can become real esportz. Most of the game design is focused on tightening up Crucible. But yeah, it's kind of inexplicable they'd mess with the one thing that's always been good and reliable about the franchise.

RemiLP

To each his/her own, but put me in the loving PvP camp. Maybe because I'm not 15 and don't have the twitch reflexes, but it got tiresome to constantly get shotgunned, or camp sniped, or supered every 4 seconds.... it feels more balanced and fits how I like to play PvP a lot more.

i can assure you that you dont need a 15 year olds "twitch reflexes" to play destiny on console :p

Kaji AF16

Destiny 1 was probably my most anxiously waited game of all time, and even if I consider that the raids, UI and general experience are worthy, I ultimately didn´t become interested by the lore and the franchise´s future.

I played the Destiny 2 missions and the strike last night and generally didn´t like them, aside from some nice particle / smoke / explosion effects and several impressive vistas (fighting in the rain, if merely gimmicky, was cool).
Playing D2 beta between long sessions of Warframe evidenced the limits and shallowness of Bungie´s (and Activision, since I felt an increase in COD-like scripting) proposal. The combat system is still solid, but I don´t find it fun to play anymore.

That said, it was impressive to see about 60% of my 400-ish XBL friend list playing the beta at the same time: with just one game and some expansions of variable quality, they managed to create a saga which dwarves even Halo.

misterck

It really annoys me that you're not told how many kills you've had or even notifified when you get a kill in the crucible, this new defeated thing that seems to be kills and assists is weird as hell.

The controls do not feel good. The movement is very slow, and movement abilities just feel bad compared to other shooters and multiplayer games. Aiming doesn't feel good though the auto aim makes it easy to hit shots.

Does this game's movement still feels like your controlling a tank?

Will download the beta once I get home?

It's definitely still got the old tanky feeling. It feels worse than Destiny did in that regard. More like Halo 3.

MrBlonde

So does this suck and everyone is disappointed? I barely played Destiny 1 but was planning on getting this and actually sticking with it but now I am hesitant. Has the beta turned people off from even buying this now?

And also 4v4 is a huge turn off for me, should be at least 6v6, wtf are they thinking with that?

Gator86

So does this suck and everyone is disappointed? I barely played Destiny 1 but was planning on getting this and actually sticking with it but now I am hesitant. Has the beta turned people off from even buying this now?

And also 4v4 is a huge turn off for me, should be at least 6v6, wtf are they thinking with that?

I think most people are enjoying it. There's definitely some issues people have with changes though, especially to the higher cooldowns and double primary system.

Floody

It really annoys me that your not told how many kills youve had or even notifified when you get a kill in crucible, this new defeated thing that seems to be kills and assists is weird as hell.

I actually like that more. Though in D1 for every kill I got I'd have about 5 assist. Think a whoever does the most damage gets the kill credit would be best, but I prefer both getting the kill, instead of the person who got the last hit like D1, even if someone else does 90% of the damage.

The controls do not feel good. The movement is very slow, and movement abilities just feel bad compared to other shooters and multiplayer games. Aiming doesn't feel good though the auto aim makes it easy to hit shots.

It's definitely still got the old tanky feeling. It feels worse than Destiny did in that regard. More like Halo 3.

It's exactly like D1. Titan skating has been nuetered somewhat but with strafe lift and Max mobility you can still get around quite fast. Actual movement and aiming though is exactly the same.

Top Bottom