• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 comes out on PC in 1 month from today, how many are still excited?

noomi

Still very hyped!

Have 1 fully leveled hunter that experienced all the content already; once PC hits I'll start another hunter and the other two classes as well.

PC will then become my main D2 platform.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Watching the Giant Bomb crew attempt to make it through the Raid really put a damper on my hype to be honest. I don't know if I feel like it needs to be a day one purchase for me at this point, but I might pick it up later on.

I really wouldn't let their performance influence your opinion one way or the other. I say this as a huge Giant Bomb fan, but there's simply no reason that raid needs to take like 20 hours to beat.

ZugZug123

No hype after I tried the beta on PC. Beautiful game and runs super smooth but with so many options for FPS'es there was nothing special to hook me into it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'll probably skip Destiny 2 this year. Maybe i'll pick it up next year on sale or something. Nioh is my #1 priority when it comes to AAA games and don't care about others this year.

deleted

Is there a good sale on this?
I'm somewhat interested, but 40 bucks would be my limit on this. Also - the most interesting stuff I've seen is the raid.

Are there other raids being added for free? Or are all gonna be paid DLC?

TripleBee

GF has now booked off days at launch so we can debase ourselves together.

My hype is only growing.
Though i'm half expecting the servers to be a mess at release.

TheExodu5

Banned
The guns kind of felt like shit on PC. Seems like they reduced the recoil greatly when playing with m/kb to make up for the lack of autoaim.

As a result, the gunplay doesn't really hold up on PC.

Anno

I'm conflicted. I wish it was either way more of a MMO or just had none of that stuff. I'll probably grab it on sale at some point to look at awesome space vistas though.

void666

Banned
I am still hyped even after so many hours played on ps4. Higher fps and fov slider are going to be so good. I'm just afraid public events will be even less populated on pc.

Frames ain't going to fix the end game or make the raid better or remove timers from NF or improve the crappy, weak exotics, but yeah it'll run real smooth.

I'll try Warframe for the first time next week. It could be the deciding factor for me.

There's a lot more to the game. Granted, most of the stuff isn't explained well, but it's not particularly hard to understand if you just do a small bit of wiki browsing. I don't think the shooting feels as good as it does in Destiny(granted, the movement in general feels infinitely better in my opinion) but I think it's a much better Diablo-type of game compared to Destiny 2.

120v

one of the roughest waits in recent memory since everybody is essentially playing it already. month will definitely be a slog but i'm trying not to think about it too much

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
one of the roughest waits in recent memory since everybody is essentially playing it already. month will definitely be a slog but i'm trying not to think about it too much

I wouldn't let that bother me. Yeah we're all playing right now but you'll have caught up after 20-30 hours depending on how you play. The Raid is the final end game mode and you can be ready for that in no time.

Going into the first expansion we'll all be equal. There is a bit more time between PC + Expansion release than console + pc release.

Is there a good sale on this?
I'm somewhat interested, but 40 bucks would be my limit on this. Also - the most interesting stuff I've seen is the raid.

Are there other raids being added for free? Or are all gonna be paid DLC?

cdkeys.com has it for around 40, I believe. All future raids will be a part of paid DLC (but if you're invested enough in the game to want a second raid, I don't think you'll balk at the extra price).

deleted

cdkeys.com has it for around 40, I believe. All future raids will be a part of paid DLC (but if you're invested enough in the game to want a second raid, I don't think you'll balk at the extra price).

Puh, for someone exclusively interested in pve in this game, but not particularly caring for the story, that is not the best value proposition.

I'd wait for a sale, but I don't think I'd get the 5 people I'd need for this to be really fun in there then. Or they would have long played through the raid already and it would lose all the puzzle, experimentation and exploration factor.

Maybe there's a better sale around the corner, we'll see..

Tovarisc

Hype went to zero after Warframe has gone open world

Yes, because one open hub is same as Destiny 2's design of applying that to all hubs. That also reminds me that at some point I need continue that mind numbing node grind to "progress" enough to even unlock that thing.

Warframe is fun game, but suffers from same as Destiny 1. Lack of story / if there is one it's so poorly told to player it just could not even exist. Along with mind numbing node grind to unlock actually relevant content it's one of bigger disappointments with game.

The guns kind of felt like shit on PC. Seems like they reduced the recoil greatly when playing with m/kb to make up for the lack of autoaim.

As a result, the gunplay doesn't really hold up on PC.

Recoil is there. You just can compensate better for it with mouse than with analog stick so it can give illusion for lack of recoil. Especially when they aren't doing stuff like e.g. CS where recoil pulls are very exacerbated.

Also like you said it has affect when KBM doesn't activate games generous AA that locks your sights on heads. Then you could play with pad and get that console experience from controls perspective.

Puh, for someone exclusively interested in pve in this game, but not particularly caring for the story, that is not the best value proposition.

I'd wait for a sale, but I don't think I'd get the 5 people I'd need for this to be really fun in there then. Or they would have long played through the raid already and it would lose all the puzzle, experimentation and exploration factor.

If your want / worry is to experience PvE content fresh then waiting for some super sale or GOTY Edition 2-3 years from now is maybe biggest mistake you can do with Destiny. At that point all content that isn't latest and came before it is irrelevant for 99.5% of playerbase and won't bother with it. If they do then you will get most minmaxed and fastest runs ever which will greatly reduce your enjoyment of content.

Destiny really is MMO in that sense. Every DLC is basically expansion that renders all previous content basically irrelevant for huge majority of playerbase.

The gunplay in destiny is awful though...

I think the gunplay is very accessible which is why a lot of people like it. It allows people who don't normally play shooters to actually play. You really just sit around and snap aim on stuff and get a lot of generous headshots though. Definitely not my idea of fun, and doesn't even attempt any of the stuff the best shooters are doing.

Yes, because one open hub is same as Destiny 2's design of applying that to all hubs. That also reminds me that at some point I need continue that mind numbing node grind to "progress" enough to even unlock that thing.

You really don't. Plains of Eidolon will be available very early on for players. Certain story related stuff will be locked until you progress further along(basically the night time in the Plains which has an endgame encounter), but simply accessing the Plains will probably be already unlocked once they release it for you. I recall one of the devs saying it would only take a couple of hours for a new player to unlock for the daytime stuff(which is the bulk of the content as I understand it) in the Plains.

Tovarisc

You really don't. Plains of Eidolon will be available very early on for players. Certain story related stuff will be locked until you progress further along(basically the night time in the Plains which has an endgame encounter), but simply accessing the Plains will probably be already unlocked once they release it for you. I recall one of the devs saying it would only take a couple of hours for a new player to unlock for the daytime stuff(which is the bulk of the content as I understand it) in the Plains.

What I understood from all dev talk about Plains was that you get small taste early on, but if you want actual reason to be there and do actual content you need be at what is basically the end game of Warframe. Maybe they changed it or I got wrong impression from what they said so that would be nice if Plains had some actual purpose for absolute newbies too.

If you're always waiting for a sale you'll never experience experimentation or exploration because you'll always be late to the party.

Strakt

I think the gunplay is very accessible which is why a lot of people like it. It allows people who don't normally play shooters to actually play. You really just sit around and snap aim on stuff and get a lot of generous headshots though. Definitely not my idea of fun, and doesn't even attempt any of the stuff the best shooters are doing.

I've played a lot of shooters on PC (cs 1.6, cs source, cs go, pubg, rainbow six, quake, overwatch, etc.), but Destiny and Halo have always been the games with the "best gunplay" for me.. which is why i can't for it to finally come out on PC. I don't think it has anything to do with accessibility, it has to do more with the the way the guns look, how they sound when they shoot, how responsive they are, the sound of bullets hitting the enemies, the different variety of guns in the game , how responsive melee and jump mechanics are, , the crit sounds when you kill something and the way shit just explodes.... its just very FLUID and super satisfying when I kill something or someone.

What I understood from all dev talk about Plains was that you get small taste early on, but if you want actual reason to be there and do actual content you need be at what is basically the end game of Warframe. Maybe they changed it or I got wrong impression from what they said so that would be nice if Plains had some actual purpose for absolute newbies too.

I'm fairly certain that's mostly incorrect. Without getting into spoilers, most of the stuff during the day (which is much longer than the night in the cycle) is accessible to newer players. Enemies get stronger as you get further away from the city. So the newer player would be able to explore the open space entirely during the day (so long as they could survive/evade the harder enemies), do the random alerts that pop up in the Plains, and do the missions for reputation in the city.

I'm not sure if weapon crafting is gated for new players (Intuitively I doubt that it would be). The only thing so far that I've heard is gated off from new players is stuff that wouldn't make any sense until those players have done more of the story stuff that is farther in to begin with. There is stuff gated for sure, but it seems relatively minor considering all of the stuff they are actually adding.

Warframe is fun game, but suffers from same as Destiny 1. Lack of story / if there is one it's so poorly told to player it just could not even exist. Along with mind numbing node grind to unlock actually relevant content it's one of bigger disappointments with game.

Unless you have leveled most Warframes, most of the content is actually always relevant. Ideally a player should always be trying out new weapons/Warframes, and since those gear levels are independent of each other, it's entirely possible to bring in a lower level frame to a higher level mission, progress faster, while still being able to deal some damage due to bringing in a higher level weapon. Doing the node grind can totally be a chore, I agree, but I think the general ease of getting new frames/crafting new weapons and trying them out makes the node grind not feel as bad. At the very least, something should be a little bit different throughout most of your time doing the star chart. It's not a perfect remedy to the situation, but I do think it's pretty okay at keeping content relevant at many different levels.

I wasn't planning to double dip but I ended up doing so a week after launch because I thought a buddy was too (he didn't, jerk).

I am still excited, mainly for m/kb controls. Controller has been serviceable for PVE stuff but even then in intense situations I still feel I lack the situational awareness and accuracy being able to mouse-look affords. Especially so in PVP. Let's just say I'm glad you don't have to win to earn those engrams...

Looking forward higher frame rate and to the graphics being prettier too. I'm not the kind of person that always cares about those things but it's definitely an quality of life improvement.

My trick to making sure I wasn't going to be totally sick of it was to make a class I wasn't going to main on PC. It's been fun trying a Hunter (level 279) but I am not a fan of their armor and I'm not great at their abilities. Looking forward to returning to my one true, Titan, love.

Floody

I really interested to see how thePvP meta differs from console. I think 450 firerate Assault Rifles will still be godly, but can see Handcannons and something like Coldheart being really strong too. Instead of it just being a Mida + AR fest.
Not interested in doing the grind again though, so will likely never get it on PC or any other platform.

Did the devs say anything about how they plan on dealing with the controller players abusing auto aim in PVP? There was a big uproar during the beta but I feel like I haven't seen anything since.

Not interested in doing the grind again though, so will likely never get it on PC or any other platform.

I only get to play 2 hours a night when I do choose to play, I got a Hunter to 279 in 3 weeks. I don't consider that a crazy grind and I enjoy the game enough and looking forward to the new controls enough I'm definitely excited.

My problem will be ever attempting to finish a raid in a single week. Maybe a Dad's of Destiny clan will be able to help.

Strakt

Did the devs say anything about how they plan on dealing with the controller players abusing auto aim in PVP? There was a big uproar during the beta but I feel like I haven't seen anything since.

The last thing I saw was the PC Project Lead tweeting about them looking into it very carefully and more details would come out closer to launch. I'd imagine they're busy finishing the game and fixing all the bugs that the PC beta had. Prob get more info on that + raid/trials info + release time sometime in the next week or two.

scoobs

Was sure I’d buy it again on pc but I’m finding myself pretty over the game on PS4 already. Once I beat the raid I dunno if I’ll be back until the next expansion

I really don't know...

I think I'm bound to buy it anyway just because "woah, Destiny on PC!".

Just not sure if I'm actually excited though...

I guess I kind of am?

Would be nice to have something new to play finally.

Mupod

Still looking forward to it - stayed away from most coverage of the PS4 version but the reception sounded generally positive. The beta ran amazingly well, SLI support secured my preorder and as a bonus it runs on my friend's toaster.

We're both playing Warframe again, as a direct result of the price error a few days ago. So we're already in the mood for a loot-n-shoot. Warframe's jank and general lack of explanation for anything will make Destiny 2's polish quite welcome, heh. But man I wish Destiny's customization and movement held a candle to Warframe.

I really interested to see how thePvP meta differs from console. I think 450 firerate Assault Rifles will still be godly, but can see Handcannons and something like Coldheart being really strong too. Instead of it just being a Mida + AR fest.

Based on the beta, if they keep the autoaim as-is then I'm sure whatever is good on consoles will be good on PC.

My only exposure to Destiny 2 has been what I’ve played during the Beta, which is literally just the first mission, so based off of just that small exposure, I’m pretty stoked for D2 on PC.

Floody

I only get to play 2 hours a night when I do choose to play, I got a Hunter to 279 in 3 weeks. I don't consider that a crazy grind and I enjoy the game enough and looking forward to the new controls enough I'm definitely excited.

My problem will be ever attempting to finish a raid in a single week. Maybe a Dad's of Destiny clan will be able to help.

Oh, sure, you can take your time and slowly work your way there, If you're not an idiot like me. I've kinda burnt myself out as is, already have 3 max power level guys. Really can't bring myself to lose all that yet.

As for finding a Raid Team. Destiny Gaf's Discord or OT should get you a team who are in a similar situation.

I'm still looking forward to playing it, but my hype has died down massively. It feels like I missed the zeitgeist of everyone learning and exploring the game together. Every time the Destiny twitter account posts about things happening in the game when I can't even play it just bums me out.

The last thing I saw was the PC Project Lead tweeting about them looking into it very carefully and more details would come out closer to launch. I'd imagine they're busy finishing the game and fixing all the bugs that the PC beta had. Prob get more info on that + raid/trials info + release time sometime in the next week or two.

That's concerning, because using the controller felt fantastic in the beta, in both PvE and PvP. I hope they don't make any significant changes.

Phatcorns

I was pretty excited, but then played through all the PS4 stuff and now I'm not gonna double dip. Glad I didn't wait though because playing the raid fresh with friends was great, and I also don't even know anyone who is going to play on PC

Tovarisc

Unless you have leveled most Warframes, most of the content is actually always relevant. Ideally a player should always be trying out new weapons/Warframes, and since those gear levels are independent of each other, it's entirely possible to bring in a lower level frame to a higher level mission, progress faster, while still being able to deal some damage due to bringing in a higher level weapon. Doing the node grind can totally be a chore, I agree, but I think the general ease of getting new frames/crafting new weapons and trying them out makes the node grind not feel as bad. At the very least, something should be a little bit different throughout most of your time doing the star chart. It's not a perfect remedy to the situation, but I do think it's pretty okay at keeping content relevant at many different levels.

Granted I have only 80h in Warframe I think I have quite good grasp on how it works. Most of solar system is barren of players because majority of nodes are irrelevant, especially for those who have progressed to end. People who level new gear just use specific nodes on specific planets (I read them on.. Reddit? I think, names escape me) so for large part you are just playing solo. People don't use 99% of the game for anything and seemed like there isn't that many new players progressing planets so not much to MM with.

I don't mind farm running some boss for frame blueprints, but it gets boring as hell when you are on Xth planet doing your 60th Defense mission or what ever. There is so little variety that it becomes such mind numbing chore to unlock new nodes and planets just to get to end game where most of meat is. Big reason why I kinda just stopped at 80h mark. Basically no one to matchmake with for easier time and having to do same mission over and over again just to try unlock next planet with no one doing nodes there got boring.

I know I sound negative on Warframe, but I do like it and liked large majority of time I spent with it. Just how your progression through the game to end game is done is so dull and there is basically no story to motivate you.

That's concerning, because using the controller felt fantastic in the beta, in both PvE and PvP. I hope they don't make any significant changes.

They aren't in easy place.

If they don't do something about AA in PvP then they doom it to be joke that no one takes seriously or even touch on PC. At that point you either use or emulate pad for easier headshots or put yourself into disadvantage.

If they do something about it (reduce it noticeably? remove it fully?) then those who want use pad for everything in PC D2 will riot and burn developers twitters down as game will become drastically harder for them.

kingbean

I am unhyped because I have too many games to play. I think I'll be hyped the day off though.

Got 4 other friends ready to play so they'll help the fun factor for sure.

Top Bottom