• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
There's no hard cap on blues?

38o9jaI.png

Also - is it me, or does elemental damage not matter any more? Even with the color blind option on, I can't tell them apart, but I don't seem to do less damage to the various shields (I have one energy weapon and don't bother cycling them). It's further made the combat more shallow.

I will speak for myself, but I really like the new gameplay mechanics behind challenging a shielded opponent with an energy weapon that matches their shield. I often try to hit the shielded enemies first as doing so (with a matching element) causes their shields to burst and damage nearby enemies.

I will speak for myself, but I really like the new gameplay mechanics behind challenging a shielded opponent with an energy weapon that matches their shield. I often try to hit the shielded enemies first as doing so (with a matching element) causes their shields to burst and damage nearby enemies.

Yeah, this is great and feels like an evolution of the traditional Halo gunplay of using a plasma pistol or whatever energy-type weapon to take down shields and then finish them off with the kinetic pistol/assault rifle/battle rifle, etc.

Holy crap prestige nightfall is brutal this week. Reached the boss with 5 minutes left and it still wasn't enough.

Also those elite knights are the absolute worst

f@luS

More than a member.
Grinding alt is so fast. Started warlock last week already 303 with 2 milestone and raid to do. Probably 304 or 305 this week. Will start my hunter tomorrow.

GhaleonEB

I hope so. What Destiny 2 nails in smooth progression, it loses in those "Woah WTF?! HAHA Awesome!" Moments.
This is a great way to put it.

Is there recent news/rumors on this? Hoping for a PoE-like game mode and/or a, umm, Raid (probably won't be one in the first expansion although if there is one in the second expansion that would be awfully close to Destiny 2's first major expansion so who knows?) that is more similar to what we got from the other four.
This is most of what I know. The "infinite forest" sounds fascinating as hell, as does diving deep into Osiris lore.

Must be my broken eyeballs, then. The Destiny 1 colorblind mode was really good at helping me differentiate them, but I can't tell either the engrams or the shields apart.

Grinding alt is so fast. Started warlock last week already 303 with 2 milestone and raid to do. Probably 304 or 305 this week. Will start my hunter tomorrow.

Yeah my Titan is the same power as my Warlock 301, despite the fact I funneled all my resources into the Warlock and he has one week less of play time. I also haven't done Trials or the Raid on my Titan. I'm curious where my Hunter will end up.

Must be my broken eyeballs, then. The Destiny 1 colorblind mode was really good at helping me differentiate them, but I can't tell either the engrams or the shields apart.
I have the same problem you eventually just learn what enemies have what sheild type or in a lot of cases you don't worry about it, because in a lot of instance in the raid certain exotics are really helpful and you can't change their elements.

Mind sharing your strat ?

We rushed past encounters whenever possible & used hunter invisibility to hack the 4 thingies. Still took us 10 minutes to reach the boss.

We're 303, 302 and 302 so level isn't the problem here

Smart super usage is really helpful in those bigger rooms if setup properly you can all use your supers and be back to full for the next major room. This was with a Striker Titan, Stormcaller Warlock, and Nightstalker Hunter.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GhaleonEB said:
Also - is it me, or does elemental damage not matter any more? Even with the color blind option on, I can't tell them apart, but I don't seem to do less damage to the various shields (I have one energy weapon and don't bother cycling them). It's further made the combat more shallow.
The mechanics are a bit different now.

Kinetic weapons deal more crit damage in general, to anything that can be crit.
Energy weapons deal increased damage to shields, of any color. So you can take an enemy's shield down with your Energy and swap to kill them with your Kinetic. Energy weapons also do additional damage to players using a Super.
Destroying an enemy shield with the same element causes an AoE explosion, additional damage and a stun to the target.

It sucks that the colorblind option doesn't make them distinct.

oh noooo :( It is a really nice mechanic as the burst causes some sweet AOE damage and kinda stuns the once shielded character. Hopefully Bungie can address the issues you bring. Admittedly, I know very little about how color blindness works so maybe they just need you in studio to make some tweaks lol

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I want to know where all the cool ships are hiding?

There seems to be like 5-6 different models and then that's it with just different colours and pattern variations, I feel like there were a lot more ships in Destiny 1, I always checked the ship vendor to see what was up each day.

Wallach

The mechanics are a bit different now.

Kinetic weapons deal more crit damage in general, to anything that can be crit.
Energy weapons deal increased damage to shields, of any color. So you can take an enemy's shield down with your Energy and swap to kill them with your Kinetic.
Destroying an enemy shield with the same element causes an AoE explosion, additional damage and a stun to the target.

It sucks that the colorblind option doesn't make them distinct.

Back when I was testing weapons, it looked like kinetics just did ~10% more damage than energy weapons to non-shielded targets, instead of being critical-specific.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Back when I was testing weapons, it looked like kinetics just did ~10% more damage than energy weapons to non-shielded targets, instead of being critical-specific.
Ah I think they are 10% stronger in general but I thought they also had a slightly higher crit multiplier. I may be confusing two different things I read though.

Just got my email from the Bungie Foundation Hurricane Harvey effort. We raised over $500,000! Amazing.

Hello Guardian,

Thank you for your pre-order purchase of the Bungie Foundation Pin. Because of your generosity, the Destiny community raised over $500,000 to benefit Direct Relief in their mission to support the people in Houston, Texas affected by Hurricane Harvey, and continues to raise money to support areas around the US and Caribbean that have been most critically hit by recent natural disasters.

Due to the overwhelming response, all pre-orders for the pin are expected to ship in October 2017 and an order confirmation email will be sent to you once the item has shipped. You will find the Destiny 2 in-game emblem code included in the pin packaging. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you for bringing the Light to those who need it now more than ever.

ZOONAMI

The DARCI exotic sniper is legit nuts

Also borealis with the energy change square button.

I think they buffed DARCI or something though cause it just rips

Wallach

Ah I think they are 10% stronger in general but I thought they also had a slightly higher crit multiplier. I may be confusing two different things I read though.

Yeah I could have sworn I heard something like that too in one of Bungie's videos or something, but it never showed up in PvE as far as I could tell. Could be a PvP specific thing if it exists as I didn't look at PvP at all.

The mod interface/storage is a complete mess, it has the feel of being the best that could be done to make sure the system was in at all at launch. Weapon ornaments and transmat effects being in that same inventory is totally baffling.

I really do hate it. If they want to have a tiny vault size I can deal with that but having to share it with the ornaments, shaders and mods (when they overflow 50 slots) is so terrible and unnecessary. Total speculation here but I feel like they thought this would "encourage" players to constantly use their mods and shaders and not save anything but when you have stuff that was time consuming, rare, or annoying to farm it never works out like that.

Edit:
Rereading your post I kinda went further than what you were saying but it's sort of related

I really do hate it. If they want to have a tiny vault size I can deal with that but having to share it with the ornaments, shaders and mods (when they overflow 50 slots) is so terrible and unnecessary. Total speculation here but I feel like they thought this would "encourage" players to constantly use their mods and shaders and not save anything but when you have stuff that was time consuming, rare, or annoying to farm it never works out like that.

Edit:
Rereading your post I kinda went further than what you were saying but it's sort of related

There's also the problem that there's class specific mods. It artificially increases the mod count making managing them all way harder. I really would like to have enough space for one stack of every shader, mod, weapons, and armor but that's impossible if you play two classes.

Mind sharing your strat ?

We rushed past encounters whenever possible & used hunter invisibility to hack the 4 thingies. Still took us 10 minutes to reach the boss.

We're 303, 302 and 302 so level isn't the problem here

I agree with you man, prestige nightfall was just BRUTAL this week. Getting to the boss isn't a huge problem, but we'd always get there with 5-6 mins left and the boss always had 10-20% left by the time the timer ran out. Regular nightfall was CAKE by contrast, we finished it with 8-10 mins left 3 times and just blazed the boss up and sort of could ignore most of the mechanics.

But in prestige the adds are sniper gods, the boss's flames kills you within a second or two, and at the end there are a ton of adds roaming around (including the suicidal headless guys) and the boss is teleporting around like a serial killer. Its frustrating because you really can't work out good strats for the last room in advance.

We eventually just gave up, hoping for an easier one next week. With another 90-180 seconds I think it will be a lot easier, but the 17 min timer is just too cramped for my group, all of us were 303. The 3 plate and 4 plate rooms were also a handful, just tiny mistakes lead to a ton of time wasted.

There's also the problem that there's class specific mods. It artificially increases the mod count making managing them all way harder. I really would like to have enough space for one stack of every shader, mod, weapons, and armor but that's impossible if you play two classes.

Yeah the mods are the worst. Like I don't want warlock mods but they look the same as the other ones so EVERY TIME I have to put the cursor over it to confirm the class and it makes me not want to even bother. And to be more efficient I have to save even the blue mods I don't want so I can shard the legendaries later and when I'm constantly running out of mod space it just gets needlessly discouraging. And putting the legendary mods in the vault makes it so they don't show up when I cursor over my armor mod slot to see what can fit, so I have to cursor over all my vault mods to check what I have. Every. Single. Time.

ZOONAMI

Oh awesome. Gonna have to put it back in my loadout and see if it's feels beefed up. It was nice before but didn't really blow me away.

Maybe I haven’t experienced enough snipers but it does more damage than my borealis which is 3 PL higher (283 vs 280). Precision hits it just downs everything immediately. It has a precision perk. I also feel like the big scope helps as it doesn’t limit fov that much. It’s actually serviceable in pvp.

MastAndo

I switched over my highest PL weapons from my 287 Warlock to work on an alt Hunter. Do I need to switch them back, or does the game know and have loot drop at the PL as if I had them on me?

Skeletron

Fucking hell no. Chasing god rolls was the absolute worst. Now when you get a good piece of gear you actually feel good, because you know it’s good. Imagine that!

Christ I hope Bungie doesn’t listen to you guys. Random perks were the worst. Literally drove me away from the game.
Seriously this. Screw random gun stats. I am so glad that crap is gone. I'd rather know what I'm getting when I pickup a gun than have to follow some spergy spreadsheets and spend a billion years farming for the perfect weapon with just the right combo of numbers. Can't believe I'm hearing people ask for that back.

Focus on improving core gameplay, maybe difficulty modifiers and adding content like more public events, adventures and stuff so just playing the game is fun in itself. RNG incentives are the worst.

Again, I was not a fan of triple RNG, nor am I arguing for the return of random rolls. I at least was simply commenting on how it may have impacted the gear chase. I recognize that it was a deterrent for some where it was an incentive to others.

Fucking hell no. Chasing god rolls was the absolute worst. Now when you get a good piece of gear you actually feel good, because you know it's good. Imagine that!

However, I disagree with this line. Most of the loot in Destiny 2 is either safe and inoffensive or just downright useless. It is nice to know that what you get is what you get, and it obviously makes it easier to balance individual weapons when you don't have to worry about a hundred different combinations of perks. But after 20 Widow's Bite drops, it's clear that the weapon will never be worth my time. Now my vault is full of infusion fodder or "weapons that might be good at some point."

I find the whole thing sloppy, and a decidedly less compelling reason to sludge through the same content over and over.

Is the app ever going to record stats like it used to for D1?

Feels like a tattered mess that doesn't do anything helpful. I want to be able to look up pve or pvp runs I've done, or see what the PVP medals are and which ones I've earned.

Top Bottom