• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

woolley

You've hit the soft cap.

Once you hit 265, pretty much the only way you can level your increase power level is through exotic engrams, milestones that grant powerful gear/luminous engrams, the raid, the nightfall, and trials.

Also you don't need to swap gear around, the game is now smart enough to know what you have in your inventory and vault, and even on different characters. It will then determine what PL gear to drop for you appropriate for your level.
That's dumb, guess that's the end of the game for me.

Raiden

Banned
So is the level cap going to raise soon or? It seems crazy to me that so much people are at 305 already and have finished the raid already. I mean do they have to wait for an expansion now?

I was kinda expecting there to be crazy rare loot drops as well. Maybe im thinking too much in WoW terms? I dont know..

EL CUCO

I've never experienced this amount of lag and teleporting enemies in PVE as I'm experiencing with D2. Its like PVP and PVE swapped places for this game. Sure, In D1 we'd have the regenerating minotaur and a few bugs here and there, but overall it was a polished experience.

Last night we had to go to orbit on several occasions in hopes of clearing up some of the desync that was happening. It'd get better but then revert back.

And its happening everywhere.
Baths-DPS phase not starting forcing a wipe
Gauntlet-Chancellor Psions not spawning properly forcing a wipe.
Pleasure Garden-dogs randomly spotting you forcing a wipe
Calus-Barriers in the shadow realm not spawning in properly forcing a wipe

Idc too much when I see happen in regular PVE but when we have to waste time going to orbit and having to get in the room again, it really sours the Raid for us.

Mini rant over. Bungie plz

Whats that exotic sniper rifle that's a PS4 exclusive. I've never seen one in-game and have never even seen it when previewing exotic engrams....

It's the Borealis, the exotic sniper that changes elements when you reload.

I've not seen it, my work colleague has it as does Arne from ND

N8wEmXh.png

LiK

So is the level cap going to raise soon or? It seems crazy to me that so much people are at 305 already and have finished the raid already. I mean do they have to wait for an expansion now?

I was kinda expecting there to be crazy rare loot drops as well. Maybe im thinking too much in WoW terms? I dont know..

Level cap will most likely not happen until DLC.

noomi

It's the Borealis, the exotic sniper that changes elements when you reload.

Hmm, i wonder if the only way to get it is through a milestone reward then. The exotic engram previews never show it as an option. Either way... seems cool. I want it :p

Ok so I should be thinking crowd control instead of single target.

Yup, I think it really does well against large groups of enemies. I have used it for single target yellows before though as well.

A great AoE weapon.

That's dumb, guess that's the end of the game for me.

Have you already exhausted all looting opportunities for the week? Most of them are easy to solo (flashpoint, call to arms, clan xp) Also don't forget that if your in a clan, you get 4 potential legendary engrams that might help boost you up a bit as well.

You shouldn't feel pressure to quickly get above 268 though, that's plenty enough to do most of the activities in the game and even enter the raid and do the first few encounters.

I've played the game at my own pace and have steadily leveled my hunter each week. Go at whatever pace you feel comfortable with :)

Cornbread78

I had a damn productive night of D2 last night. In my two hours playing, I finished 3/4 milestones for the week (same for the clan engrams. Just have to wait for Trials) including the Call to Arms, NF and Patrols and managed to boost from 270 to 280 in just that time. Good stuff!

Also you don't need to swap gear around, the game is now smart enough to know what you have in your inventory and vault, and even on different characters. It will then determine what PL gear to drop for you appropriate for your level.

Has that been confirmed as the way it's supposed to work?

I have a Hunter at 289 and a Warlock at 284 and the hunter engrams from vendors are at 281 and the Warlock ones are 278

Out 1

N8wEmXh.png

Yup. My first RNG exotic in D2. Funny cause Hawkmoon (another Sony exclusive) was my first exotic in D1.

Supposedly its damage is comparable to RLs and Coldheart during Calus fight. I had mixed results though.

Hmm, i wonder if the only way to get it is through a milestone reward then. The exotic engram previews never show it as an option. Either way... seems cool. I want it :p

Got it from an engram. I think the preview is bugged. It shows Sweet Business as “already in the collection”, although I don’t have it.

Cronnie

I got mine from an exotic engram that dropped after a public event.

Lakitu

st5fu
Can I set up a fireteam to help me to get the Rat King please? I've had this in my inventory for so long, looking to set one up right now! If you haven't got it, join up with me or if you do it out of the kindness of your heart, thanks!!

"Countless." are you sure about that? I was a hardcore of a Destiny player as they get - and it was not fun. We just did it to stay competitive. Why do you think Bungie started changing things as the years went on and we now have locked rolls? Did you also have fun getting armor and weapons that needed to be leveled up?

Careful with using your own anecdote and stretching it out to others. Just because you only did it to "stay competitive" doesn't mean others had the same motivation.

There is room for hardcore players that prefer different things. For example, I put over 500 hours into Destiny and I couldn't have cared less about god rolls as it relates to PvP because I thought the PvP was mediocre. Likewise, you did it to stay competitive. There are also min/maxers out there that loved getting that god roll as a drop.

Sure, there probably aren't "countless" amounts of people that liked that, but I'm sure the hardcore grouped that liked that wasn't small. I thought it was a good addition to appease those people, as frankly a poorly rolled Matador was still more than usable for almost all of the content in the game.

Chasing RNG-rolled weapons wasn't fun. Sure it was great for the person that got the god-rolled Matador after 10 hours of trying, but what about for the person that never got it? Real fun right?

Never-ever did this and I'm one of the players who sorely miss random rolls on gear/weapons. I had many scouts with a variation of perks combined with their archetype that made them useful and unique among many other weapon classes in which the same thing was true.

Fixed perks would be fine if there was, well, a lot of variety and quantity overall concerning gear/weapons/mods. It's pretty small currently.

That said, it doesn't matter as nothing will change concerning fixed/random rolls as this was a clear way for them to supposedly balance the game all-around and make it simpler to do so. As a result the game and it's gear is a bit basic and (I hate to use this word) bland (especially Exotic gear/weaponry).

This doesn't mean I don't like Destiny 2 but rather that I miss a certain aspect I enjoyed from Destiny. I have two 305 PL characters and one 304 PL character and can't wait to do it again on PC.

Zereta

Just to clarify something: if I dont get the raid/trials done this week, I'm about two-three Weekly resets away from reaching 300 PL. That's the hard cap right? 305 is only achievable with +5 mods on all my gear?

What happens to engrams then? Both Legendary and Blue engrams start dropping at 295-300?

Never-ever did this and I'm one of the players who sorely miss random rolls on gear/weapons. I had many scouts with a variation of perks combined with their archetype that made them useful and unique among many other weapon classes in which the same thing was true.

Fixed perks would be fine if there was, well, a lot of variety and quantity overall concerning gear/weapons/mods. It's pretty small currently.

That said, it doesn't matter as nothing will change concerning fixed/random rolls as this was a clear way for them to supposedly balance the game all-around and make it simpler to do so. As a result the game and it's gear is a bit basic and (I hate to use this word) bland (especially Exotic gear/weaponry).

This doesn't mean I don't like Destiny 2 but rather that I miss a certain aspect I enjoyed from Destiny. I have two 305 PL characters and one 304 PL character and can't wait to do it again on PC.

I would love a hybrid system

So leave in fixed personality perks like intrinsic and maybe the first two slot but leave the last slot as rollable bonus

That or increase mod variations

I dunno as it stands now weapons are boring and feel very nerfed/vanilla compared to D1

The game still plays great but i dont get excited to play around with weapons since its now super easy to lock down what to use at a quick glance

They put so many limitations in place in the name of balance and i feel like some of the fun and magic was lost

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I must have passed a Power checkpoint last night, my blues suddenly jumped from mostly 265 to always 270. No clue what my highest possible Power is, I'm 271 with my current gear, but it must be because of higher level stuff in my vault.

Feels good anyway!

E92 M3

Careful with using your own anecdote and stretching it out to others. Just because you only did it to "stay competitive" doesn't mean others had the same motivation.

There is room for hardcore players that prefer different things. For example, I put over 500 hours into Destiny and I couldn't have cared less about god rolls as it relates to PvP because I thought the PvP was mediocre. Likewise, you did it to stay competitive. There are also min/maxers out there that loved getting that god roll as a drop.

Sure, there probably aren't "countless" amounts of people that liked that, but I'm sure the hardcore grouped that liked that wasn't small. I thought it was a good addition to appease those people, as frankly a poorly rolled Matador was still more than usable for almost all of the content in the game.

I just think there are better design options than keeping people busy with shitty RNG. I'd like to have harder content and MORE LOOT with LOCKED rolls. Always down for more loot, but keep the RNG shit away.

I love the locked gear and would be VERY disappointed if we went back to a bunch of weapons having garbage rolls because of RNG. I'd like to see them add more loot - a lot more loot.

Also the inventory and the vault need a massive rework.

Frostburn

N8wEmXh.png

I got it a few days ago, the ability to hold reload and switch to any element is cool but Snipers don't seem to have a strong place in Destiny 2 at the moment. Fusion Rifles, Rockets and even Shotguns and swords seem to be better Power weapon choices at the moment.

Barzul

I'm stuck at getting 268 level engrams and can't figure out how to get anything higher. I changed all my equipment to blues to make sure I had nothing inflating my light level and still I only get 268's. What am I doing wrong?

Keep doing the weekly stuff for the powerful gear. It's the only way I was able to beat that plateau.

Saint9806

Has that been confirmed as the way it's supposed to work?

I have a Hunter at 289 and a Warlock at 284 and the hunter engrams from vendors are at 281 and the Warlock ones are 278

I feel it doesn't work in between different characters though. I think it's the best gear you have on your current character and whatever is in the vault. But, if a second character has high level gear equipped, that gear doesn't count to the overall average. I have a 279 Warlock and I mistakingly used my Titan (secondary) to grab some clan Engrams last week, and the engrams were decrypting in the 240's which was around the Titans PL.

I just think there are better design options than keeping people busy with shitty RNG. I'd like to have harder content and MORE LOOT with LOCKED rolls. Always down for more loot, but keep the RNG shit away.

Doesn't that depend on the person? RNG loot rolls isn't objectively worse than non-RNG loot rolls. It's just different design choices that appeal to different people. I personally think there aren't enough interesting weapons in the game to warrant static rolls on everything. I thought that was the case in Destiny, and I still think that's the case with Destiny 2.

It's fine that they are doing what they are doing, I just think that, for a certain subset of the core group, that's going to be a big turn off and gimp the end game. Again, those "garbage rolls" were good enough to complete pretty much all of the content in the game, so I don't really see the point in downing that too much unless you really care about PvP, which leads to my next point...l

I really just think they need to separate PvP and PvE balancing. I think their weapon design is negatively impacted because they choose to prioritize PvP balancing. That's just my opinion of course, but I do think it makes the PvE loot a lot less interesting.

Silav101

I got it a few days ago, the ability to hold reload and switch to any element is cool but Snipers don't seem to have a strong place in Destiny 2 at the moment. Fusion Rifles, Rockets and even Shotguns and swords seem to be better Power weapon choices at the moment.

I would use sniper rifles if they had a way boosted damage to critical hits. At the bare minimum, let them one-shot non-elite tier 3 enemies with shields (like Fallen Captains). As it is, all the other power weapons can do this, why can't sniper rifles, which take more effort and distance?

ocean

Banned
tbf, those posts have to be contextualized. the hardcore destiny players are used to sinking hundreds of hours into the game and still having a reason to play for/something to chase
I mean I think I’d be considered “hardcore” by most reasonable metrics. I put in something like 2,000 hours into D1 and probably have a few hundred on D2 already.

Reason to play: it’s fun to play. I still hop on D1 daily for a game or two of Crucible despite having probably everything of note except a god roll Luna (and whether I get it or not has no bearing on whether I’ll keep playing).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Reason to play: it’s fun to play. I still hop on D1 daily for a game or two of Crucible despite having probably everything of note except a god roll Luna (and whether I get it or not has no bearing on whether I’ll keep playing).

I think it says a lot that you hopped on D1 just to play crucible. I hope they make some changes to PVP first and foremost, including allowing us to play the game mode we want.

GhaleonEB

What's the best beginner guide for Destiny?

I hit 20 and have no idea what I'm doing.

Play whatever you want - adventures, strikes, crucible, etc. - until you hit power level ~265, as everything will advance you to about that point. Then check back as only certain activities advance you from there. (Raid, nightfalls, Trials)

cakely

Nightfall was fun this week. Being able to constantly throw grenades, smoke bombs and turn invisible felt good, man.

We had 3m left on the clock. I think I we can trim another two off of there for the rat king.

Thanks. For some reason I thought the splash notification when I signed in yesterday said it was in EDZ.

Off to Nessus....
There was a milestone yesterday for collecting lost sector tokens in the edz that granted an extra stack when finished. But tokens in general were available everywhere. Haven't logged in yet to see if there is a new milestone today.

Yeah I'm honestly hoping that changes with some strikes/raids else as you say they really have no purpose in PVE play.

Thanks. For some reason I thought the splash notification when I signed in yesterday said it was in EDZ.

Off to Nessus....

Yeah, it did say EDZ so I'm not sure what was up with that and when I completed that daily milestone or whatever it was it gave me zero indication of anything and it was just gone from the director/milestone sidebar thingy.

ultron87

The Rally being just one more way out of a dozen to turn in tokens to someone for the exact same power level loot is a bummer.

I don't know exactly what they should do while still keeping things to have a reasonably paced progression, but a way to de-homogenize all the different vendors would be super appreciated.

cakely

What's the best beginner guide for Destiny?

I hit 20 and have no idea what I'm doing.

Don't turn any tokens in until you hit 250.

Claim gear rewards one at a time and re-maximize your power after every claim.

Don't dismantle any purple items that end up with purple mods on them, you'll eventually want a full set. Infuse items into your purple-modded items when you can.

I found this post very helpful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434332&page=1

I really just think they need to separate PvP and PvE balancing. I think their weapon design is negatively impacted because they choose to prioritize PvP balancing. That's just my opinion of course, but I do think it makes the PvE loot a lot less interesting.

Has Bungie ever addressed this at all? Would be curious to know their thoughts and why they continue to keep everything combined... I mean I assume because it's easier but would like to know if there's a bigger reason.

Bungie could really open up and go nuts in pve if they kept things separate... Shame

Doesn't that depend on the person? RNG loot rolls isn't objectively worse than non-RNG loot rolls. It's just different design choices that appeal to different people. I personally think there aren't enough interesting weapons in the game to warrant static rolls on everything. I thought that was the case in Destiny, and I still think that's the case with Destiny 2.

It's fine that they are doing what they are doing, I just think that, for a certain subset of the core group, that's going to be a big turn off and gimp the end game. Again, those "garbage rolls" were good enough to complete pretty much all of the content in the game, so I don't really see the point in downing that too much unless you really care about PvP, which leads to my next point...l

I wish there were say 3 different versions of each weapon. Each being a very good combo with no trash perks. That would make for less grinding but still something to look forward to or work towards.

Bungie needs to do something like this or vastly alter/add to the mod system. There is little to no point to even looking non-powerful engrams anywhere near max light. That's unfortunate.

Top Bottom