• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

And Calus shouldn't have to test the strength of the Guardians & the Traveler - the guy he lost to was defeated by these forces. If he is anywhere near as calculating as the raid's ending implies, then Calus would probably make an allusion to the fact this was merely a data-gathering expedition for him, and maybe even thank us for eliminating Ghaul & his cronies for him, and how we basically re-handed him control of the Empire on a silver platter.
Didn't he basically do that with the entire premise of the raid? He's inviting us in. Why would he invite us in to kill him? And he says right in the beginning, "Let's see what your Light can do". I thought it was pretty clear the entire raid was just gonna be him running an experiment after that.

Nodnol

Looking forward to jumping into the raid this weekend, even with the mixed impressions.

Do we think the Osiris DLC will have a raid?

If my PL is 266 now, can I safely begin to work on the Blue Quests and Powerful Gear?

Yep. And weeklies reset so dont sweat it.

I can now understand why theres no matchmaking for Nightfalls. Tried them a couple times with strangers picked up from bungie.nets LFG and we got destroyed big time. I believe I learned some new curse words listening this one guy going all out rampage on me when I died on the drills.

With one of the groups we gave it a couple attempts and got to last phase of the boss but time ran out. I got some confidence and experience so Ill try it out later with some guildmates.

If on Xbox I can help ya mate. Already sherpa'd two groups yesterday. If on PS4... :-(

Anyone know what the fastest way to level a second character is? Any tips?

Buy fireteam medallions from Tess. Use one every four hours. Do story with public events in between. Takes less than 8 hours to get to level 20, PL 250.

Bonus exp if you have a 3 man fireteam and all three use fireteam medallions. You buy them with strange dust you get from dismantling cosmetic mods.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Raid impressions that are like "I don't like puzzle shit" "the mechanics need to take a back seat" "disappointed that I have to use a mic"

...did you actually play any of the old raids.

Umm... Yes?

I've been here with DGAF since Day 1 Alpha, I put in so much time into VoG, it's crazy
I think I helped 17 teams the first few weeks when we started this stuff with Raid and Resets

I've been banned on in Destiny threads on my rants about mechanics being broken and not being fixed

Nobody here has beaten it yet.

Therefor it's the worst raid ever.

Bungie should apologize and donate 10 million dollars to a charity of our choice.

You're better than this Glam

No one is going off the walls, it's when things are removed that you have no control over and erratic responses the game may spit out at an encounter you do get frustrated

Ammo drops are hurting the Raid, Worlds First Video, go watch it, all I hear is I have no heavy ammo, I'm out of primary, etc.

This is Worlds First and their complaint in the video at this problem

So they bypassed the mechanic that most GAFfers feel that it's not running in the order it should be. There are areas of the encounter that are buggy/glitchy/RNG, which you can do a few wipes to but the frustration compounds if Bungie hopefully addresses quickly

No one is saying remove or make it easy-peasy/cakewalk, if you're making us do the encounter, please at least code/path the AI from just fucking off and doing its own thing sometimes

Remember how long it took them to fix VoG, do you think community will stand idle and just roll with it?
They want more casuals to try it, but even if the hardcore are getting frustrated not by the mechanics not being learned but by the bugginess of it all, our claims are truth at the moment.

GlamFM

Banned
Umm... Yes?

I've been here with DGAF since Day 1 Alpha, I put in so much time into VoG, it's crazy
I think I helped 17 teams the first few weeks when we started this stuff with Raid and Resets

I've been banned on in Destiny threads on my rants about mechanics being broken and not being fixed

You're better than this Glam

No one is going off the walls, it's when things are removed that you have no control over and erratic responses the game may spit out at an encounter you do get frustrated

Ammo drops are hurting the Raid, Worlds First Video, go watch it, all I hear is I have no heavy ammo, I'm out of primary, etc.

This is Worlds First and their complaint in the video at this problem

So they bypassed the mechanic that most GAFfers feel that it's not running in the order it should be. There are areas of the encounter that are buggy/glitchy/RNG, which you can do a few wipes to but the frustration compounds if Bungie hopefully addresses quickly

No one is saying remove or make it easy-peasy/cakewalk, if you're making us do the encounter, please at least code/path the AI from just fucking off and doing its own thing sometimes

Remember how long it took them to fix VoG, do you think community will stand idle and just roll with it?
They want more casuals to try it, but even if the hardcore are getting frustrated not by the mechanics not being learned but by the bugginess of it all, our claims are truth at the moment.

And yet two weeks from now we´ll have this down to farming status and everything will be forgotten.

That´s the cycle.

polychron

got up to
The Dog Hunt
last night, but had to clock off at 00:30 because I have a job interview today... It seemed fun, but it's one of those very mechanics heavy ones like King's Fall where I can imagine the difference between having a good team and not is mindblowing. Maybe it'll be less pronounced once consensus has settled on the 'correct' way to do it.

nOoblet16

And yet two weeks from now we´ll have this down to farming status and everything will be forgotten.

That´s the cycle.
Pretty much what I think.
It's always like this when a new raid launches i.e. it's broken and impossible to do it in any other way or that there is zero margin for error.... until 2 weeks later.

Although the raid is glitchy, the holograms for one of the doors at castellum disappeared and we had to go back to orbit to reset it.

GraveRobberX

That´s the cycle.

So we are ok with shit being broken because we can now face roll and have progressed to such repetition that it's become second nature

We can't criticize the cons of the Raid

Come on man, I'm not trying to be some hater, you know me and my hardcore playstyle

It's not the mechanics or encounter that's the problem, it's the bugs that ruin the experience

No one is saying remove or replace, I'm just stating that I am hoping Bungie takes a quick look and see if maybe an adjustment needs to be made. Don't be like VoG and delay it for such a long time
That's all

Please take a look why ammo scarcity is being burdened at key encounters also
The TTK has jumped, so more ammo used, yet the refill process feels less at certain point, when ammo really is a priority

Sometimes Orange Bars DO NOT DROP HEAVY AMMO!
That Power Weapon slot is suppose to be an equalizer or create a window of opportunity, if it becomes scarce then you have to burn other Ammo's immensely to get same damage output and then sometimes you see no Kinetic (Primary) or Energy (Special) drop

Some of us have stated it in here

We arent some hivemind to come create a salt mine for salty purposes

DocSeuss

It's weird to me how they're like "260 light level is fine," but I mean, I was getting one-shotted at times on the USG stream. That encounter is like... 261, and I just don't have the gear to handle those points well, I guess.

But, uh, no checkpoints? What's up with that?

If my PL is 266 now, can I safely begin to work on the Blue Quests and Powerful Gear?

I did all the blue quests at 240something.

nOoblet16

Yep special enemies not dropping heavies is a problem, it should simply not happen at all !! But this isn't exclusive to raid, it's happening everywhere in the game at the moment.

It's in their design philosophy ffs to have special enemies drop heavies, that's how they balance snipers and other shit being in heavy and the lack of synths.

It's weird to me how they're like "260 light level is fine," but I mean, I was getting one-shotted at times on the USG stream.
Yeah, our party was al 280's with one 264 and he was definitely holding us back. Not his fault, but their light requirements are a bit wonky.

nOoblet16

It's weird to me how they're like "260 light level is fine," but I mean, I was getting one-shotted at times on the USG stream. That encounter is like... 261, and I just don't have the gear to handle those points well, I guess.

But, uh, no checkpoints? What's up with that?

I did all the blue quests at 240something.
For raid?
They never said 260 is fine they said 260-280 for raid. This always means easier encounters will be 260 while the later ones will be higher power level. Check the enemies that kill you with one shot, they most likely have 280 power level.

And yes there are checkpoints, just not like previous raids. If you finish an area and go back to orbit and come back you don't have to do that's really and can do another area. But you will always start the raid at the same place. It's a hub design.

DocSeuss

Yeah, our party was al 280's with one 264 and he was definitely holding us back. Not his fault, but their light requirements are a bit wonky.

Yeah. I felt embarassed until I saw "recommended light 270," and it was like "wait, why am I doing this, then?"

One thing that I felt Vault of Glass did better than the other raids is that it had a degree of forgiveness. I was never able to finish the WoTM raid (which made me sad; we ended on the last encounter), but it felt like it had a degree of that as well, which was nice.

Crota and especially King's Fall did not. That 16 bomb strat was frustrating, especially when it glitched out on me. The game felt like it was going "hey, we only want you to use snipers," at so many points, but Bungie constantly nerfed sniper ammo amounts, which only made the raid more tedious.

I liked being able to have bad runs on VoG that we still succeeded at. One of my favorite runs was one where we just weren't having a good night, and my brother accidentally killed Atheon by popping his golden gun and jumping off a cliff, fully expecting to wipe, and just kinda being like "ah, wth"--we'd all died from a weird glitch and he was the only one left. It was great. One dude left and we made it. Felt amazing.

Vault of Glass is a raid my team perfected. Crota wasn't well designed enough to be perfected; no one liked the encounters, so we ended up skipping most of them through the cheeses. King's Fall... we mostly stopped playing the game shortly after that. Beat it a couple times, just didn't stick with it; never felt great to play, way too many "that's a wipe" moments. Only two of us came back for Wrath of the Machine.

For raid?
They never said 260 is fine they said 260-280 for raid. This always means easier encounters will be 260 while the later ones will be higher power level. Check the enemies that kill you with one shot, they most likely have 280 power level.

And yes there are checkpoints, just not like previous raids. If you finish an area and go back to orbit and come back you don't have to do that's really and can do another area. But you will always start the raid at the same place. It's a hub design.

I mean, on the US Gamer stream, we were struggling with the baths, and we decided to go decrypt some engrams to see if that'd help our power out, and we started at the very beginning of the raid when we went back in. Imagine starting the Vault over from the plates outside the entire vault just because you left the templar.

deadduck

Raid impressions that are like "I don't like puzzle shit" "the mechanics need to take a back seat" "disappointed that I have to use a mic"

...did you actually play any of the old raids.

People complained stuff was just a bullet sponge and no mechanics previously. People wanted more than just a big strike.

This raid is up there imho.

Doesn't do it justice watching world's first stream and having people bitch at each other in frustration.

KF is my most hated raid, just a bunch of bosses linked by linear tunnels. This is all about teamwork and coordination, like it so far.

GraveRobberX

Yep special enemies not dropping heavies is a problem, it should simply not happen at all !! But this isn't exclusive to raid, it's happening everywhere in the game at the moment.

It's in their design philosophy ffs to have special enemies drop heavies, that's how they balance snipers and other shit being in heavy and the lack of synths.

Baths section, we figured out if we burned those fatties Bathers way before they even touched outside in the air spawn pool, all ammo would be lost

Why?

Cause that area is considered void/null zone
You can jump into it and die and ammo just vanishes

So we had stops DPSing it, let it touch the read geometry ground, then kill it, then the ammo stayed around

Kind of goofy no?

Don't kill add too fast, you don't want to burden your ammo resources! from refilling

Yager

Banned
Enjoying the game a lot. It's nice to have a MP game in which you can chill whenever you want or go all in. Currently at 267, missed the first nightfall but I'm planning on doing this week's and eventually the raid too. I'm in a clan with one friend, but I'll probably switch because all my other friends went into another clans. There's no point on having a clan when we are only 2 people lol. Also makes it harder to play coop because we rarely meet at the same time.

The best thing of all is that I don't miss Overwatch one bit (although I'll probably return in a couple of weeks or with the next patch). Feels good not having to care about throwers or leavers :p

nOoblet16

Yeah. I felt embarassed until I saw "recommended light 270," and it was like "wait, why am I doing this, then?"

One thing that I felt Vault of Glass did better than the other raids is that it had a degree of forgiveness. I was never able to finish the WoTM raid (which made me sad; we ended on the last encounter), but it felt like it had a degree of that as well, which was nice.

Crota and especially King's Fall did not. That 16 bomb strat was frustrating, especially when it glitched out on me. The game felt like it was going "hey, we only want you to use snipers," at so many points, but Bungie constantly nerfed sniper ammo amounts, which only made the raid more tedious.

I liked being able to have bad runs on VoG that we still succeeded at. One of my favorite runs was one where we just weren't having a good night, and my brother accidentally killed Atheon by popping his golden gun and jumping off a cliff, fully expecting to wipe, and just kinda being like "ah, wth"--we'd all died from a weird glitch and he was the only one left. It was great. One dude left and we made it. Felt amazing.

Vault of Glass is a raid my team perfected. Crota wasn't well designed enough to be perfected; no one liked the encounters, so we ended up skipping most of them through the cheeses. King's Fall... we mostly stopped playing the game shortly after that. Beat it a couple times, just didn't stick with it; never felt great to play, way too many "that's a wipe" moments. Only two of us came back for Wrath of the Machine.

I mean, on the US Gamer stream, we were struggling with the baths, and we decided to go decrypt some engrams to see if that'd help our power out, and we started at the very beginning of the raid when we went back in.
Yea we did the exact same and we had to redo it.
It's because you need to finish the section for it to count as a checkpoint completion. Just because it took us like 1 hour there first time around doesn't mean it needs a checkpoint as that 1 hour was spent trying to figure out what to do. The bit before that section at the door actually takes no more than 5 mins to complete as we observed the 2nd time we did it after having to restart it.

Pull out your ghost and check your progress you'll see.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well, that's how a Raid is supposed to be imho. It's not just killing a boss, get better at it and just shred him in 2 minutes to "farm" your raid loot every week, it has to be challenging at some point. I think there has to be an annoying part in every raid, so that it's worth to even call it a raid.
If you think Raids need annoying parts, I don't know what to tell you. The word annoying isn't a positive one. The challenge of the raid is fine, and fun to wrestle with. The part of the raid, the part I spoilered that you quoted, isn't fun. It's the least fun thing introduced into a raid yet. As for bosses, well they're characters - personifications of the challenge, with story and lore attached to them. That's why I lament the absence of a boss in the section I discussed. It's one less character, one less story. Not sure why you're talking about farming - nothing to do with my thoughts

ZServ

Pfft. Got to the
hunt
with a group of friends in 3 hours or so. Y'all had me worried this was some crazy shit or something.

I think ammo drop rate is fine personally. We had one ammo run all night, on the
bells
. Then I realized that the cold heart is
FREAKING AMAZING
and never had any ammo issues again. I was light level 267. Group average was 270.

I will say that I didn't get heavy with every major kill, which I do believe is a bug, but it wasn't a major factor for me. 1 clip of cold heart and 3 shotgun blasts killed the guys I struggled with the most
(looking at you, you stinky bathers)

This isn't Destiny 1, blow your super. Grenades are nuts. Rockets are bad, same with fusion rifles. Got a cold heart? Go with an AR, CH, and either a sword or shotgun. No cold heart? Scout rifle or pulse rifle (preferably with explosive rounds), riskrunner, sword/shotgun.

Thus far, this raid isn't really anything stupidly hard. King's Fall was WAYYYYY harder at release.

How we did things to this point:
Under the bridge are levers. Pull all 6 at the same time. Run up, skip trash. Now, 4 on point defending, 2 search for keys. Then, reuse the warpriest door strategy. 1 per plate, 2 runners,
swap top then bottom. We beat the encounter in one round. Not one attempt, but one round. Repeat the key strategy. Have someone take lead for the hunt for runners, and the two up top are spotters that give path info. You can ping with the lasers, just don't hit the doggie. Didn't finish the hunt, but this is how we approached it.

Looking forward to finishing this tomorrow. Super fun raid. So far, my favorites are in order: KF, this one, VoG, WOTM, CE.

Edit: Golden gun with critical tree is stupid good, y'all. So is the Darth Maul super. Nightstalker kind of sucks this go around, for this raid. Least, as far as I can discern. Less orbs, less damage, grenade is good though.

Oh, we did hit a nasty bug where we couldn't respawn. Just said waiting for revival. Just went to orbit and came back, worked fine afterwards. No biggy.

nOoblet16

Baths section, we figured out if we burned those fatties Bathers way before they even touched outside in the air spawn pool, all ammo would be lost

Why?

Cause that area is considered void/null zone
You can jump into it and die and ammo just vanishes

So we had stops DPSing it, let it touch the read geometry ground, then kill it, then the ammo stayed around

Kind of goofy no?

Don't kill add too fast, you don't want to burden your ammo resources! from refilling
Tbh that's nothing new really, we've had this in Destiny since time immemorial. Like remember when in WoTM servitor section when you tether the shanks above Aksis all ammo goes to the null zone so you have to wait for them to come down. Or when tether orbs come out of enemies rather than the player (to date I still don't know why sometimes it's out of the player and sometimes it's out of the enemies).

As for that section
I always got my heavy from them when they dropped it cause I'd shoot them with my coil while coming out and then once they are out it would take me 1-2 shots from my HC. So I never noticed the heavies dropping to the null section. However there ARE frequent instances where special enemies simply will won't drop heavies rather than the heavies being lost.

I never really felt like I was running out of heavies ever because my coil always had some rockets. But the special enemies not dropping heavies at times is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I'd also appreciate it if the orbs and ammo didn't have physics applied to them once they hit the ground...especially not physics this floaty. They just get thrown across the map so many times. There's something really wonky with Destiny 2's physics it's very floaty>

I think they need to rethink their end game strategy. You can do all weekly milestones in about 2 hours, and run the raid to get loot once per week. Things like strikes, adventures, and lost sectors become pretty much irrelevant; and they're a huge part of the game. PEs are ok. I just don't like seeing a big chunk of the game redundant once you reach 280ish. Heroic strikes should've been in the game from launch.

Also Destiny1 OTs went really fast at first because a lot of people including myself were shocked at how bad the story is, and the lack of content available. Lots of complaining. Then you got the people coming in and saying "haha what a bust", "lol I knew this game would suck", etc.

I don't think this game was designed for people who prioritize Power Number over Gear.

I want every armor set because they're rad and I want to make ones for different play styles with different focuses. That will require A LOT of playing to get the right armor and guns and testing them and seeing what I like.

Luckily all that playing is fun.

If I want Ikora's set, I have to do Milestones and Meditations. (and I do, because it's the armor from the beginning of the game). If I want Failsafe's, gotta hang on Nessus.

There are I think like 8 seperate potential paths like this to explore, and that's just for one class.

If all you care about is getting your number to a certain spot and you don't think the gear is interesting enough for you to care about, would adding content ever truly make you happy? It would just be a higher number that you would zoom to and then be bored again. You wouldn't care about what new gun got you there and how that gun played on your favorite planet. You wouldn't care about putting the perfect set together so played exactly how you wanted to, only that it had the Power number you deemed sufficient that week (or probably even "day").

I don't mean to be harsh but I've seen some variation of this post for a few days now, and everyone is welcome to their opinion and level of satisfaction but it seems like it's really just a case of not thinking the gear is cool and varied enough to contribute to a loop of actually playing with it and exploring it past the number it gives you.

Lima

Watched slayerage yesterday. They finished right before I came, fuck me that was an awesome finale.

Raid looks very good. Good thing I'm going to a concert tonight to distract me from thinking about the game.
Friday night is totally open though and I think I'm weak enough to buy in then. Someone talk me out of this please.

nOoblet16

People complained stuff was just a bullet sponge and no mechanics previously. People wanted more than just a big strike.

This raid is up there imho.

Doesn't do it justice watching world's first stream and having people bitch at each other in frustration.

KF is my most hated raid, just a bunch of bosses linked by linear tunnels. This is all about teamwork and coordination, like it so far.
People also complained about how KF was too mechanics heavy not because it was linear tunnels, visual and map layout wise Kings Fall was probably the most interesting raid on D1. And it required teamwork as well, lots of it infact, but it wasn't fun, not because "linear tunnels" that's not particularly a bad thing for a raid.

If people complain about the mechanics being heavy then the counter argument should not be "well you didn't want bullet sponge so what do you expect?" Because WoTM has showed us what a balanced raid with just the right amount of mechanics and just the right amount of actual shooting gameplay looks like. WoTM had tricky mechanics to learn but it also allowed players freedom to speed up the encounters up at their own pace rather than have the players wait for the game to catch up to them i.e. King's Fall.

xuchu

They need to bring heavy synths back. Even in the base game, running outta ammo is a problem.

Was constantly running out of primary in the prestige nightfall yesterday, I can only imagine this will be far worse in the raid.

Lima

They need to bring heavy synths back. Even in the base game, running outta ammo is a problem.

Was constantly running out of primary in the prestige nightfall yesterday, I can only imagine this will be far worse in the raid.

This was definitely an issue. During the final boss slayer constantly ran out of primary ammo and had to run around in the open battlefield to find some.

Jamiaro

Running into issues with partying up. Very hard finding a fireteam of members that take their time and are NOT rushing to get into Raid and stuff.

I need help with Rat Kings Crew, Nightfall etc. :/

Seems very similar with the first game. Well, perhaps I can find someone later.

That´s the cycle.

Two weeks from now I'm willing to make bets on this.

By that, I mean the majority of players will be content with the raid experience and rewards for the effort put in, and the experience will be bug-free.

Almost beat the raid, our team was able to burn the last boss 1/3rd of his health each cycle but tiredness kicked in as we have been awake for along time.

I will say, its certainly had a lot of detail put into this raid and it certainly is not forgiving at all but on the flip side, the feeling of beating and getting past an encounter is also amazing.

So far really love the art direction and grand scale of the Raid. The tedious non forgiving mechanics however can be frustrating.

IHaveIce

Banned
Pfft. Got to the
hunt
with a group of friends in 3 hours or so. Y'all had me worried this was some crazy shit or something.

I think ammo drop rate is fine personally. We had one ammo run all night, on the
bells
. Then I realized that the cold heart is
FREAKING AMAZING
and never had any ammo issues again. I was light level 267. Group average was 270.

I will say that I didn't get heavy with every major kill, which I do believe is a bug, but it wasn't a major factor for me. 1 clip of cold heart and 3 shotgun blasts killed the guys I struggled with the most
(looking at you, you stinky bathers)

This isn't Destiny 1, blow your super. Grenades are nuts. Rockets are bad, same with fusion rifles. Got a cold heart? Go with an AR, CH, and either a sword or shotgun. No cold heart? Scout rifle or pulse rifle (preferably with explosive rounds), riskrunner, sword/shotgun.

Thus far, this raid isn't really anything stupidly hard. King's Fall was WAYYYYY harder at release.

How we did things to this point:
Under the bridge are levers. Pull all 6 at the same time. Run up, skip trash. Now, 4 on point defending, 2 search for keys. Then, reuse the warpriest door strategy. 1 per plate, 2 runners,
swap top then bottom. We beat the encounter in one round. Not one attempt, but one round. Repeat the key strategy. Have someone take lead for the hunt for runners, and the two up top are spotters that give path info. You can ping with the lasers, just don't hit the doggie. Didn't finish the hunt, but this is how we approached it.

Looking forward to finishing this tomorrow. Super fun raid. So far, my favorites are in order: KF, this one, VoG, WOTM, CE.

Edit: Golden gun with critical tree is stupid good, y'all. So is the Darth Maul super. Nightstalker kind of sucks this go around, for this raid. Least, as far as I can discern. Less orbs, less damage, grenade is good though.

Oh, we did hit a nasty bug where we couldn't respawn. Just said waiting for revival. Just went to orbit and came back, worked fine afterwards. No biggy.
Sorry but you didn't hit the portion where the real ammo scarcity hits in yet imo.

Of course the raid will get easier and easier but it was the worst raid for a blind run. Starting the raid yesterday when it hit online and no one was further ahead of you was really confusing, till we found out what to do there passed some time.

DjRalford

Anyone fancy a go at the nightfall? I've not done one for a good year so some patience will be needed :)

I have about an hour I can play for from now, 282 titan PS4 - DjRalford

Freeman76

I cant understand some of their decisions with this game. I love it dont get me wrong, but where is the longevity? D1 lasted years and they added loads of cool shit in by the end of its life. I have been playing pretty casually and already feel like I ran out of stuff to do. They reallt could have learned from TTK and put secret events, hidden stuff, longer term quest chains etc. They seem to have decided not to, probably intend to put it in DLC or something I guess. Seems strange that its all over in a flash, with little reason to explore the maps like D1 gave us.

I know D1 slowly unravelled as they learned over 3 years, I would have thought D2 wpuld have started at that point though. As I said ita a great game and some of the choices they made to the overall structure have baffled me. Almost seems like a missed opportunity in some ways. I dunno...

eizarus

Banned
Be the ball player. Its really nice strike. Someday it will be NF :p.

It feels like they designed it with the NF in mind. It feels just a tad too easy to Lebron your way through but with NF tweaks, it would be intense af. Especially the last round.

Top Bottom