• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT2| Leviathan Wakes (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

Roussow

So I want to get through the Rat King challenges before the weekly reset. This NF was pretty easy compared to the last to have a surplus of 5 minutes, as for the other steps there, I take it I can just grab minimum one other person, do two patrols, two public events, and two crucible matches.

If they can Hotfix Kekistan, they can Hotfix
Woofistan, that is the Pleasure Gardens, nothing pleasurable about that place.

I know how Spores and the prism light work, know how to hit x36 or x48, know all sore locations by heart now, where are all 6 doggy's locations.

That should be it, there should be no, hey our pathing code fucked up, the dog saw ya, lol

Seriously it saw us through cover, all 4 of us hidden, then a few times tag the dudes up top out of fucking nowhere, which should never ever happen unless they fall

This we had to go through with VoG and the goddamn portal with "Working as Intended", but changed which 3 get ported cause the community got tired of getting fucked over

I get others with their statics within a few tries got it, but when 6 randoms, who's names you don't know and do your very best where everyone is performing well and the game Mechanics bork and fuck you over, even the hardcore will get agitated

I'm in no rush to beat or be a Worlds First by any standard, but if I put in time, don't add things you know might fuck up.
Gorgons at least pathing was set and the area small enough to get through
Now you have to do cycles and burn them down, which if you get 2 good cycles a 3rd erratic dog might trigger and destroy all that progress w/o you doing anything ad none of it being your fault

Guided Games for Raid are going to be astronomically hilarious. Godspeed to those souls.
Basically my experience too.
Pleasure Gardens
is ass.

Silvard

So there are a lot of opinions on the raid's mechanics. I personally found them enjoyable but I'm still disappointed at
the lack of bosses in general. All the encounters seem to be a tad overengineered in order to always have something for people to keep their attention on, and can be frustrating to have so many elements going on at once where any one person can fuck up because of things mostly beyond their control. I have serious doubts about the replayability of this raid. It's not something you can relax at while getting into "the zone" like most previous ones.

The central hub area is trash, whoever thought that it would be okay to basically force new people to do this trash 4 times just to go forward is on some hardcore drugs. I say new people because you can bypass most of it, provided you know how to navigate the underbelly and open up shortcuts, but that leads me to the observation that oh my god is the underbelly one goddamned pain in the ass to navigate. They made it too big and too empty/pointless. This area seriously dwarfs anything we've ever seen so far and there's almost nothing to do but wander around aimlessly hoping to stumble into something and hoping that you can guess the right way to move forward.
Anyway, those aren't even my main complaint:

It's 2017. Bungie has been doing Destiny for 3 years already. How in the fucking hell can they still be fucking up loot so badly? Like literally this is an issue every time a raid comes up. How? Just how can you take the feedback and experience from all the different loot distribution systems you've had so far and think that this garbage you've implemented for Leviathan is a good idea?

They have to know by now how fucking stupid and demoralizing it is to go into a raid encounter, through an entire raid even and get fucking nothing, and see maybe 2/6 people get gear while you get some tokens that you can't even use before you finish the raid. How the hell are people at the appropriate gear level even supposed to progress through the raid while relying on it to get upgrades, when you have to actually finish the raid to get any guaranteed rewards aside from one random non-raid legendary engram? Even the "secret" chests only consistently drop regular legendaries that (after 365 PL) aren't upgrades.

Goddammit Bungie.

Leyasu

Banned
As soon as it starts all get on sparrows and race to objective. Shoot all the ads with void. Interact with the spire thing. Jump over the platforms to the next section and run past all the enemies to the portal. In the next section when you start above the enemies, keep one person up top with a scout rifle and two can move a bit closer on the far right platform. Clear most of the enemies by focus firing them (you can leave some red bars, just get the hobgoblins). Once clear, get the guy up top to activate the rings. You all go and collect rings. Run through the next section til you get to the big open area. Work together to clear all the ads, particularly the sniper and big cannon dude on the roof. Then use supers on the elite dudes in the bases with the corresponding burn. Then activate the rings and get them all.

Get blasted across to the next section. Get one person to go down and hit the switch to start the mechanism moving. They'll probably die but let them respawn and they'll be up top with you. Wait til the mechanism is at 90% then jump down and travel across to the next area.

In the big area with the rotating blade things, get one person to stay up top and slowly clear a path through for themselves. Play it safe and pick enemies off from a distance. The other two go and get the rings and most likely die getting them. The guy up top gets to the boss room and you all spawn in there.

The boss you just clear as normal but focus on the elemental burns. Void bombs, titan smash etc on the boss with the corresponding burn. Use Merciless on solar burn if you have it.

We easily did the Prestige nightfall doing it this way. And we messed up a few times.

Quoting this so I can come back to it

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So people with all three classes on the go, do you spread the three races out across all three classes or just stick to say awoken?

I've got my Titan on the go, but want to get a Warlock and Hunter to at least 20 before carrying on, but can't decide what race for what. Not that we see their faces a lot and for some reason we no longer talk, but I feel like the destiny dress up/space barbie is an important part.

TyrantII

IMG_0019.jpg

Fashion Destiny time? Looks > Power!

The real end game: Space Barbie

Roussow

So people with all three classes on the go, do you spread the three races out across all three classes or just stick to say awoken?

I've got my Titan on the go, but want to get a Warlock and Hunter to at least 20 before carrying on, but can't decide what race for what. Not that we see their faces a lot and for some reason we no longer talk, but I feel like the destiny dress up is an important part.

I had an Awoken Warlock since D1 day one, never fucked with alt classes until D2. So I made a male Exo Titan, I picked the face with the fewest features, not even with eyes, I thought it was appropriate to have the tanky / brute force class be a faceless robot whose face looks like a helmet.
If I make a hunter it'll probably be a human, but I don't like many of the human faces / features as much as the other races. Fortunatly your chosen face gets a close up in the first cutscene, so you can quickly decide whether you need to go back and start over.

Dez_

So... raid impressions. Stopped at the second encounter yesterday.

I honestly thought we made it farther then that, since I considered the initial hub area to be the first encounter, but that's combat to open the room the next trial. It took us most of the time to figure out the bath house trial. I actually enjoyed how we eventually figured it out. It took some time, but man, it was rewarding. It was essentially a variation of KF totems for the most part. The lack of any meaningful rewards was disappointing though.

Can't say I'm enjoying the second encounter in the pleasure garden at all though. We have the mechanics down, but I'm not a fan at how the stealth feels here. It's inconsistent. Further, I'm not sure I understand why sometime the people holding the prism crystals can sometimes alert the beasts down below other then a double jump right over them. It was infrequent enough to be really annoying. Most we got the spores was up to x36, but it sounds like we can get more?

In any case, please don't do rigid stealth for the raid. Also, we hit a glitch where no one was spawning in at the start of the encounter and had to go back to orbit and try again. We had to do the fight in the hub area AGAIN to be able to start the garden / dog area. That really wasn't necessary.

I've also heard a few people talk about issue with ammo drops, and I've experienced the same thing at times. I feels like there's some sort of stealth "juggler" modifier on for one thing, because it sometimes feels like I never get any kinetic bricks or energy ammo for really long periods. Would appreciate being to hold a little bit more heavy ammo too.

I did need to change my load out and class a few times to try and adapt to each new encounter, so I do appreciate that as having to adapt to the situation felt rewarding. The new area that we're stuck in feels pretty frustrating though. Can't say I'm a fan.

So are milestones doable on multiple characters of the same class? Like can I do the public quest milestone in two separate Warlocks and get a luminous engram for that milestone twice?

TyrantII

Not saying Bungle are lazy, but I do find it a little disappointing that they rely on enemy waves and adds repeatedly rather than just giving us a boss to fight on its own. Still, loved the actual raid though, and anyone who has explored past the third encounter can tell you that they definitely aren't lazy.

Err, it's a FPS. Just shooting down a mega red bar boss, even with mechanics, is not going to be fun.

It's about moving, shooting adds, and execution. Always will be.

Cob32

So are milestones doable on multiple characters of the same class? Like can I do the public quest milestone in two separate Warlocks and get a luminous engram for that milestone twice?

You can do it but the powerful engram you receive will be scaled down to the soft cap.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Seem to be stuck on LL 266.

Everything that seems to drop is no higher than 260.

Any tips?

milestones, public events, exotic quests. focus on levelling up vendors with tokens. if you've been saving them up then redeem them now...if not then just redeem them in stacks when you can.

i went from 262 to 272 yesterday by doing the Rat King quest, the Nightfall, crucible, and modding some gear with +5 mods.

Cornbread78

Do you have a clan suggestion ? I'm part of the SEXY clan but I can't get any clan members to play with ...

Are there people from the clan online when you are playing?

Do they have a clan discord, or chat board to use? I would post there and ask for parties to help with certain things or just say "up for whatever" if you have nothing specific and you just want to chill and chat while playing.

If not them try messaging a couple of the guys on PSN or shooting them friend invites.

This raid is nothing like KF. Why are people still saying this.
Er yeah lol

Just answer this for me please; will it make my Warlock cry like KF did?

TyrantII

Okay, thanks.

Easiest is to pick a planet who's armor set you like and collect world mats / chest, do the public event, turn in, repeat. Find a circuit and run it for tokens and engrams. Be sure to pick up the easy patrols while doing so.

Once done you'll have plenty of gun parts to rank up the gunsmith as well.

So there are a lot of opinions on the raid's mechanics. I personally found them enjoyable but I'm still disappointed at
the lack of bosses in general. All the encounters seem to be a tad overengineered in order to always have something for people to keep their attention on, and can be frustrating to have so many elements going on at once where any one person can fuck up because of things mostly beyond their control. I have serious doubts about the replayability of this raid. It's not something you can relax at while getting into "the zone" like most previous ones.

The central hub area is trash, whoever thought that it would be okay to basically force new people to do this trash 4 times just to go forward is on some hardcore drugs. I say new people because you can bypass most of it, provided you know how to navigate the underbelly and open up shortcuts, but that leads me to the observation that oh my god is the underbelly one goddamned pain in the ass to navigate. They made it too big and too empty/pointless. This area seriously dwarfs anything we've ever seen so far and there's almost nothing to do but wander around aimlessly hoping to stumble into something and hoping that you can guess the right way to move forward.

It's 2017. Bungie has been doing Destiny for 3 years already. How in the fucking hell can they still be fucking up loot so badly? Like literally this is an issue every time a raid comes up. How? Just how can you take the feedback and experience from all the different loot distribution systems you've had so far and think that this garbage you've implemented for Leviathan is a good idea?

They have to know by now how fucking stupid and demoralizing it is to go into a raid encounter, through an entire raid even and get fucking nothing, and see maybe 2/6 people get gear while you get some tokens that you can't even use before you finish the raid. How the hell are people at the appropriate gear level even supposed to progress through the raid while relying on it to get upgrades, when you have to actually finish the raid to get any guaranteed rewards aside from one random non-raid legendary engram? Even the "secret" chests only consistently drop regular legendaries that (after 365 PL) aren't upgrades.

Goddammit Bungie.

Can't agree more about the loot aspect. My team got more or less nothing from the raid. Just tokens for the most part. I got nothing I could use.

However, I honestly enjoy the (I'll just spoiler this all to he safe for people)
lack of bosses here. At least for me, the multitude of massive health pool bosses in more or less every MMO type game is getting old. I love add encounters just because it forces everyone to be on their toes with moving enemies while still getting precision shots. Running around just trying to burn down a boss is, IMO, just overused. My team and I loved the bath section, it took us awhile to figure it out since we went in completely blind, but man the feeling of finally beating it with good coordination is what makes this game so amazing.

I seem to be in the minority but I love the mechanical team heavy raids. A lot of people can shoot well, a lot of people can burn down big health pool bosses, but not a lot of groups can do all of that while rotating/talking, and shooting adds. This has been my favorite raid so far in all of Destiny. The hub horde part I have a feeling they make you do to make it more tedious to run every week. Shouldn't have to do it that many times.

As for the ammo issues, I think Bungie had the right idea with really trying to force people to use Kinetic Energy and Heavy weapons. Not just I love my energy I'll just use that 99% of the time. Their implementation is a little off though. I want to be forced not to use Heavy ammo vs, for example, bathers. If I have it of course I am going to use. Figuring out how to attempt to stay on the plate and kill a bather with no heavy is great. The last boss fight though like many have said just doesn't give enough ammo overall.

My group figuring out the levers and hitting the underground was great. Having this huge area to figure out what the hell is going was awesome. Just exploring trying to find things. Everyone went different ways all saying holy shit this is huge what is going on. Just almost giddy with excitement from just attempting to figure this out. Now running this every week may get a little tedious, but man the first time was a hell of an experience. Loved every minute of it.

Hopefully made some sense, typing on my phone is rough sometimes.

R0ckman

My thoughts on the Leviathan raid.

Watched the whole raid played live, then had the experience of going into it myself. My feelings on this thing are all over the place.

Honestly, the Leviathan wound up being a huge missed opportunity imo. The sheer size of this ship is so big that you can reasonably justify this being its own zone; the whole thing is bigger than the planets it devours and makes the Dreadnaught look like a small RC car by comparison.

Instead, we raid this little palace located at the top. When we first found out that the Leviathan itself was going to be a raid, I envisioned things like utilizing some vehicle sections for fights, seeing a cast of bosses that are looking to re-instill Calus as the Cabal Emperor, dismantling crucial parts of the Leviathan that help the ship run in order to render it useless. I liked the aesthetics of the place and Bungie really did a fine job of honing in on the whole 'opulence' theme of the space, but there is just so much more they could have done, either with the Leviathan itself or with the raid & encounters they ultimately constructed here.

Like, look at Bungie's half attempt at the whole winged raid that other MMOs have done - the whole thing here is an illusion. Sure, there is one central hub we return to, but we can't ever go in & explore this space without doing one of those horde-mode sections which basically take the place of trash mobs or the door-opening encounter from KF. Having to redo this encounter 4 different times, each one beyond the first leading to a chest which just gives you some glimmer, straight up sucks. It makes a long experience like raiding feel even longer, considering these little sections can take 10 minutes and thats if you don't wipe or run into any issues.

Why couldn't the whole raid be linear, with one encounter leading to the next? Players having to go back to this central hub & redo this horde-encounter with zero reward for it is just tedious work. Its not even like they add a challenge to this horde mode to keep it interesting or challenging in the subsequent encounters.

Also, there is something supremely unsatisfying about having a raid where we don't really fight any bosses except for the end boss himself. I miss the days of KF right now - at least it felt like I was taking down enemies. Not dropping soap into a bathhouse so I could break purple lanterns, or go through a glorified obstacle course on a track.

The thing I was most disappointed by though is that since their introduction in Mars in D1 in 2014, I have always wanted to see a closer look into the Cabal & their empire through the perspective of a raid. But this isn't the look I had envisioned into their inner workings or their motivations. All the other raids have given a closer look at their respective species. But this does not give me the closer look at the Cabal empire I was hoping.

YOU NAILED MY ISSUES WITH THE RAID TO A T.

GReeeeN

quick question, I just completed the exotic pistol quest, but haven't accepted the exotic engram from Tyra Karn. I only recently got the Mida Multi-Tool and that's around +7 light higher than the rest of my gear (292).

If I save this engram (which doesn't have a light value next to it) and pick it up after I complete the raid/ trials when the rest my gear is higher light, will it roll a higher value than what it would be now?

Essentially I dont want to accept the exotic yet as my primary is already +7 more than the rest of my gear and would rather wait until the rest of my gear is in line with my current Mida and have this new pistol exotic drop even higher later on. Would this work?

Is this engram light already determined?, or since it doesn't have a value next to it currently, should I save it for after the raid/trials?

quick question, I just completed the exotic pistol quest, but haven't accepted the exotic engram from Tyra Karn. I only recently got the Mida Multi-Tool and that's around +7 light higher than the rest of my gear (292).

If I save this engram (which doesn't have a light value next to it) and pick it up after I complete the raid/ trials when the rest my gear is higher light, will it roll a higher value than what it would be now?

Essentially I dont want to accept the exotic yet as my primary is already +7 more than the rest of my gear and would rather wait until the rest of my gear is in line with my current Mida and have this new pistol exotic drop even higher later on. Would this work?

Is this engram light already determined?, or since it doesn't have a value next to it currently, should I save it for after the raid/trials?
If it doesn't have a value when you look at it, it should mean it will scale with you. But I think that all rewards are sent out at the end of a weekly reset from what I've heard.

Number45

I've got my Titan on the go, but want to get a Warlock and Hunter to at least 20 before carrying on, but can't decide what race for what. Not that we see their faces a lot and for some reason we no longer talk, but I feel like the destiny dress up/space barbie is an important part.
In D1 I created the same awoken female with different eye colours for each class. My guardian is that fucking awesome she can switch between classes at will.

Hoo-doo

Banned
There is the Raid that everybody can´t stop gushing about.

IB is still coming

Osiris is still coming

Factions are still coming

So far I have only paid attention to my Power level - the "perfect loadout" grind is still coming. (for me)

I probably wont be done by December when the expansion hits.

You have an odd definition of 'gushing' when nearly half the thread is people bitching about the raid 🤷🏻*♂️.

GReeeeN

If it doesn't have a value when you look at it, it should mean it will scale with you. But I think that all rewards are sent out at the end of a weekly reset from what I've heard.

that's alright, if i run trials and the raid this weekend, then can collect it before reset to get the most out of it

R0ckman

Goddammit Bungie.

You think they will patch the gear guy into the game without beating the raid? He could just have his wares blocked until you have tokens.

Anyone feel like these raids need instanced social areas like the Tower/Farm where you can link up with other raid groups also partaking in the raid?

Also, I dunno how a team like Bungie, in a post-WoW/Diablo world, still manages to fuck up raid itemization.

Also, what happened to getting strike specific legendaries from certain bosses? That AT LEAST made grinding strikes a little more bareable. I feel like they take two steps forward and one step back with every iteration.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Raid loot took us back to 2014 VOG. Cent a brother get a drop rather than tokens? Plz?

Top Bottom