• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My arguments are not that D2 is ok because it's going to be great. I despise that argument. Like people defending the perk tree going to just 2 branches by saying "it's okay, this means they can add another branch later." No. Don't defend something on some imaginary later improvement.

My argument is I'm enjoying D2 as is. I'm excited about what they'll add, but I'm happy with what we have now.

That doesn't mean there aren't improvements I desperate want. The anti-farm timer you mention sucks. There are so many chests and planetary mats that it's so easy to hit and you might not even notice. And the mod system feels undercooked. I'd love to have 2 mod slots of weapons. Same for armor. And a lot of TTK/ROIs improvements are sorely missing. Hunters need a team-based support class ability, not reload/melee recharge.

You play 3x as much as me, so I'm not trying to invalidate your concerns. Ideally the game should cater to both of us. I'm just speaking to my experience and my conclusions.

That's the thing though

Just as Bungie doesn't want to separate PvP and PvE for balance issues, it pushes the spectrum of the Destiny player into each other

Usually you cater to all, mostly casual/core, and have something for the end side of the spectrum for the really dedicated
The super casual is not really Bungie's best interest cause they most likely won't buy the dlc or go to Bungie store to buy shirts and pins for emblems

They could have left small chases for players to do or at least let player continue doing things 3 years they've really been bred into

Yes hearing farming makes some people go hell no. So Bungie stopped it in D2, yet they left a little with Token farming for the dedicated but then threw the timer in just appease a crowd mentality that see they can't out earn you!

How does me getting more tokens, to get more gear for "Dresstiny" purposes hurt others time

It's not like rolls are random and I'm abusing something other might have finite amount of time to put into this game, just asking for more balance in that regards too

You can't just say we can't balance 2 separate entities, then try to balance 1 part to cater to only 1 sides need

mcfrank

I am loving D2 more than D1. It respects my time. No more FOMO or having to chase rolls to stay competitive. No endless grind to increase a number. I even like Trials more in the new 4v4 format.

I'll take meaningful content drops over arbitrary things to grind any day of the week.

I can't say this enough, thank you Bungie. I'm going to keep playing D2 because I enjoy it. I don't need anything to chase to enjoy myself.

Hear hear

cucuchu

I'd pay to play the locations, strikes, PVP maps, and Raids of D1 in D2. The 3C didn't change, it's a bummer all this content is not used.

Agreed completely!

I was just having this discussion last night with some friends. Destiny is somewhat viewed as an MMO of sorts, so it is strange to me that they would not just keep expanding the base universe from Destiny 1 and just add new locations while updating the engine.

I get it though...Destiny 1 strikes/pvp content/raids were designed with different balancing mechanics in mind. It would take some development time to update the content and make it worth revisiting but I personally feel it would be well worth the time and effort. Even just including the old patrol locations with updated Public Events and then throwing the old strikes into the strike rotation would be enough IMO.

Don't worry, every activity will be Token based

Just wait until you trade in Tokens for Big Tokens then Token for Big Tokens for Humongous Tokens!

Tokenception!

You do realize that the Token system is an answer to complaints about D1 content not having quantifiable loot rewards for activities right?

You've stated before that other games that utilize a currency for turn in allow you to choose what you're buying. Which is sort of correct. Other games (MMO's, since that's where the idea of Tokens/Marks/etc.. came from) do allow you to choose the loot you buy. However the loot you buy in those games is of lower power level than the loot that drops from the content. And the loot that drops from the content has incredibly low chances to drop AND you have to roll against other people in your group that want that item as well.

The token system is not perfect. However, no system is perfect because there will always be someone who isn't satisfied with it. People already complain that getting loot is too easy. Picking which gear you want to buy with your tokens would exacerbate that problem.

And when, in D1, there was no token system... just a roll as to whether you would even get a drop and then a roll as to what the drop was... well that was the era of Forever 29 complaints.

The Token system in its current state is an attempt at a middle ground. There are now, loot drops from mobs, from chests, from Daily and Weekly quests, and from Token turn ins for all activities. Whereas previously there was only drops from mobs, rep rank ups, a chance at a drop from a post complettion roll on some content and drops from chests on other content. Hell, some content required that you roll for a key to even be able to access the chest.

Went to checkout xur, already had the skull fort so went with the gun . Love it’s look but not a fan of its shooting , mida still king for now .

mcfrank

Agreed completely!

I was just having this discussion last night with some friends. Destiny is somewhat viewed as an MMO of sorts, so it is strange to me that they would not just keep expanding the base universe from Destiny 1 and just add new locations while updating the engine.

I get it though...Destiny 1 strikes/pvp content/raids were designed with different balancing mechanics in mind. It would take some development time to update the content and make it worth revisiting but I personally feel it would be well worth the time and effort. Even just including the old patrol locations with updated Public Events and then throwing the old strikes into the strike rotation would be enough IMO.

I am sure they will do that at some point.

Agreed completely!

Yeah the amount of work and resources required to put D1 content into D2 would be nuts

Better to use all hands on deck for new content

Kyne

this thread has just gotten more exciting than the end game content.

seriously though guys, it's just a game. No need to make it personal.

I personally would like to see something like Dreadnaught from D1.

Easily my favorite zone from that game. The space sky box was amazing.

Yeah the amount of work and resources required to put D1 content into D2 would be nuts

One of the biggest complaints about D1 was reusing content. Running remixed strikes. Running through the same area twice. Reskinning armor sets. But people want that content back? After we've played it to death for three years? Crazy.

LTWood12

The hero we deserve.

tumblr_orl78mB9yE1rrkahjo3_540.gif

GazzaGSi

There is nothing more hardcore than raiding on a Vita.

Woah nice! I only venture in to lost sectors or public events when on the Vita. Bungie have done an excellent job of the button mapping for the Vita thats for sure (think it was the same in D1).

Holy hell, I've never seen the Destiny subreddit more salty. A lot of it over this line:

DeeJ: My challenge to every Guardian is to look to the human element in Destiny 2 to fuel your appetite for ultimate re-playability.​

He's absolutely right. I could quit playing right now, I've got the platinum, have 3x characters at ~305, have a bunch of the exotics. But why would I? I'm having so much fun.

Last night I did the NF with 2 members of my raid crew and we had a blast coordinating taking down Knights and Ogres, blasting anomalies. I love the new Nightfalls. Luke talked about the goal of strategizing and they nailed it. Every week we run the raid and we get better. And we're learning all the roles. Last night I spent time in Gardens with Hawkian giving him some tips for navigating around the dogs for his newbie runs. We weren't even raiding, but we were having fun.

Destiny has always been worst when you're not rewarded for playing. How fun is it to run 3x Nightfalls every week and not get Hawkmoon? How fun is it to be stuck at 5 medallions and be unable to win? How much fun is it to get Gjallarhorn a week before the nerf? How much MORE fun would it be to have Gjally for a full year? Nobody would care about Gjally if it was just rare, people cared because you could blow up the whole goddamn world with it. Remember grinding away at SRL to get a 320 helmet? Blergh. Remember Crimson Suicides to get a 320 ghost? Fuck that.

And here's the thing. Light level has ALWAYS BEEN A SHAM! How different did the game play when you were a fresh 20 at power 208 vs now when you're 305? No different at all. How big a deal was Light really in D1's Iron Banner when everyone was 90-100% of Max Light? No different at all. It's just a number. Don't worry about it.

Destiny has always been best when you have people. I've had the same raid crew for nearly 2 years and it's been fantastic. I realize how blessed I am there (and that not everyone has that). These guys were just randoms that I met here in the OT looking for a raid one December. Same with my Trials team. I found Igor and Ape when they weren't the all-stars they are now and just spent time playing with them. Focused on improving my game and having fun. And I've found more people along the way just being part of DGAF.

Are there things that I'd fix about Destiny 2? Absolutely, but it's in a very good place right now, and I'm really enjoying my time spent with it and my friends.

giphy.gif

Gator86

Agreed, the amount of effort it would require is why they won't do it. They recycle everything all the time to save resources after all.

I'm still dumbfounded by the fact that Bungie hasn't made a non-raid boss in FOUR YEARS that's not a regular enemy, but bigger and spongier. That's a monumental commitment to asset reuse.

That's the thing though

Just as Bungie doesn't want to separate PvP and PvE for balance issues, it pushes the spectrum of the Destiny player into each other

Usually you cater to all, mostly casual/core, and have something for the end side of the spectrum for the really dedicated
The super casual is not really Bungie's best interest cause they most likely won't buy the dlc or go to Bungie store to buy shirts and pins for emblems

They could have left small chases for players to do or at least let player continue doing things 3 years they've really been bred into

Yes hearing farming makes some people go hell no. So Bungie stopped it in D2, yet they left a little with Token farming for the dedicated but then threw the timer in just appease a crowd mentality that see they can't out earn you!

How does me getting more tokens, to get more gear for "Dresstiny" purposes hurt others time

It's not like rolls are random and I'm abusing something other might have finite amount of time to put into this game, just asking for more balance in that regards too

You can't just say we can't balance 2 separate entities, then try to balance 1 part to cater to only 1 sides need

The farming debuff is to help prevent Destiny's economies from becoming worthless. This is the same reason why there are caps on things like Glimmer, gear rewards for Faction Rally, etc... If you don't specifically prevent the playerbase from endlessly stacking these things, then all of the systems tied into the economy become worthless.

Look at your own stack of Weapon Parts, for example. You have so many weapon parts that as soon as Bungie adds more guns to the Weaponsmith's loot table you can turn in until you get everything without any concern. The Weapon Parts have no value to them anymore.

Legendary Shards are already like that to an extent. They're plentiful enough that I doubt anyone stops to consider the Shard cost of Xur's items or of Infusion. If you don't have to consider the cost, what's the purpose of even having the currency?

platocplx

I am loving D2 more than D1. It respects my time. No more FOMO or having to chase rolls to stay competitive. No endless grind to increase a number. I even like Trials more in the new 4v4 format.

I'll take meaningful content drops over arbitrary things to grind any day of the week.

I can't say this enough, thank you Bungie. I'm going to keep playing D2 because I enjoy it. I don't need anything to chase to enjoy myself.

Yup same. Its a totally different game and I see why some people do not enjoy it anymore. I really hope they do not cave into the pressure because honestly I feel like no matter what they do there is a small vocal percentage that will never be happy and/or will complain about even the smallest bit of words(hence they cant be transparent with people).

D2 feels like a reboot of what they envision the series to be IMO. Im happy it respects time, No intense grind, Removes some of the obsessive things people had in the past, which was frankly unhealthy. D1 felt like you were gambling pulling the slot machine of RNG over and over again and then after tons and tons of hours you think you earned something and rinse and repeat.

One of the biggest complaints about D1 was reusing content. Running remixed strikes. Running through the same area twice. Reskinning armor sets. But people want that content back? After we've played it to death for three years? Crazy.

Yeah people tend to just go back to what they know and this is a drastic change,. I cant lie I do miss some of the cool exotics they introduced like the SIVA pulse, the Sleeper Simulant etc. However I think that they will have more of this as the build on this new foundation.

Also who knows. When PC drops they may have even more stuff to turn the switch on so that they can keep the playerbase all on the same page. I think people are jumping the gun and I think it will take until the first expansion to really see where they plan to go with this.

Cornbread78

Woah nice! I only venture in to lost sectors or public events when on the Vita. Bungie have done an excellent job of the button mapping for the Vita thats for sure (think it was the same in D1).

Same here. Works great and it's easy to use. Now, if I didn't have to keep fast tracking over and over again to get people to do the PEs with, but that's another story, lol.

Bold One

I remember the the day of D2 reveal, do you?

I'm pretty certain The hashtag Destiny 1.5 was trending. But apparently that's what people want now? Crazy stuff.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Bungie took the safe route with d2. They can always add more stuff. With that more content is always better. If you can't get to it you can't get to it but it's there for people who could.

People don't want D1, they want a reason to play the game after 3 weeks. For a lot of people, there isn't even a reason to play now. Sure there is a nice slow burn for the players that are only playing 30 minutes or an hour every day or two. There is always that content there for them.

There was almost always a reason, good or bad, to play D1. A lot of times that meant playing for a random drop that you really wanted. The key though, is that there was a reason. Towards the end it was milestones and the memory book or whatever that was. We don't have that now.

The problem now, is there isn't a reason to play and the answer isn't bringing back the reasons we played D1. What is the answer? Not sure. There has to be a reason for those of us who have finished the game and the released content multiple times, to keep playing, and that is loot. There must be loot.

They have to find a way to have meaningful loot endgame worth playing for. They've split crucible into quick and competitive. Why not have weapon mods and armor perks that are hard to obtain but give you advantages. Something to play to get, that would be useful and you could only use them in competitive crucible and trials. Not IB or quickplay. Separate those two worlds and allow there to be some other small aspect of the game for those of us still willing to play if there was loot to get.

platocplx

They have to find a way to have meaningful loot endgame worth playing for. They've split crucible into quick and competitive. Why not have weapon mods that are hard to obtain but give you advantages. Something to play to get, that would be useful and you could only use them in competitive crucible and trials. Not IB or quickplay. Separate those two worlds and allow there to be some other small aspect of the game for those of us still willing to play if there was loot to get.

From my perspective they do not want the game imbalanced anymore. I mean if you look at the sheets for TTK on all weapons for the most part they are nearly identical. You really can play how you want and not worry about needing elite items etc. I dont understand the backlash at the game pretty much saying hey play however you want, vs you need X Y Z or to be X Y Z Class to even complete high end things.

I've played a lot of Destiny 2 at this point and I have a ton of the gear on all three classes. I like that I'm running out of stuff to do. I deliberately stay away from MMOs now, because there's never an end in site with those games even when focusing on one character. There's always one more thing I could farm, one more rep to grind, or one PvP match to do. I love raiding and coordinating with a group of people, but to keep with that progression in a meaningful way is a hassle. I don't have to fish 50 things every Sunday for an hour in Destiny so I have enough food buffs to last the week.

I think there's definitely a progression problem right now in the end game, but I don't know how to address it without overhauling some pretty major aspects of the game. These are my ideas within the context of how the game works right now.

Making prestige raid gear higher power is in a lot of ways meaningless, and I think that's why it's not happening. The increase in power will really only make a meaningful difference in the Prestige Nightfall, and probably the Prestige Raid. Making them easier through gear is probably not the right choice since they special because of their difficulty, if they lose that factor they just becomes the same thing as their normal version counterparts. The idea of making the prestige mode rewards cosmetics seems like the right approach, but an ornament and shader are probably not the right way to go about it. Take the raid weapons and armor and the visually flashy they should easily mistaken for exotics by a player who doesn't know what they are. The warlock exotic Transversive Steps are like the only visually unique warlock legs the prestige raid stuff should be the same way. There probably should be a unique sparrow and ship tied to the prestige raid too, but that might already be a thing and it's not in the game files.

The random rolls for legendaries is in my opinion a really pointless desire for some sort of loot grind. I would be livid if I got a Curtain Call or Sins of the Past and it didn't have Cluster Bombs. There need to be more gun options, but I think that will come with time. I'm also a bit surprised that people want stuff right now when every day I see a YouTube video or Reddit post saying hey this weapon is actually really good. People need some breathing room to learn these things and having a ton of guns at once would be super overwhelming. Not having weapons for Iron Banner assuming there aren't any is a mistske though.

I think a lot of these fears from there's not enough to do stems from the production pipeline problems Destiny 1 had and supposedly that stuff has been fixed. I think new content will come at a steady pace and the season pass stuff will have be more even compared to what I heard about it in the past.

As personal thing gold is a really dumb and tacky color to have be the primary color for something. Gold is good for accenting things, but ugh at those prestige sets right now.

From my perspective they do not want the game imbalanced anymore. I mean if you look at the sheets for TTK on all weapons for the most part they are nearly identical. You really can play how you want and not worry about needing elite items etc. I dont understand the backlash at the game pretty much saying hey play however you want, vs you need X Y Z or to be X Y Z Class to even complete high end things.

It's the inherent, I put in more time, I want something to show for it. For better or worse, it's gonna be an issue forever

lt519

FWIW I'm on the same page as Glam. They removed waaaaay too much to streamline it. And there is just so much content that was in D1 that has no excuse not being in D2 (private matches, crucible playlists, crucible modes, individual strikes, heroic story mode options).

Grinding to unlock perks on weapon: bad. Grinding out grimoire scores: not bad.
Forever 29: bad. Strike exclusive gear: not bad
Locking exotics behind fragments: bad. Having ghosts to find: not bad.

Why did they remove all that other optional stuff?

Feels like they just hit the entire thing with a hammer and flattened it. There's no personality or synergy with gear anymore. Exotics are tame. They went too far to the other end of the spectrum to ensure PvP was balanced and even then its not because its dominated by Mida's. No reason to explore the patrol areas. They made improvements with adventures but give me Heroic (or Prestige) patrols where if I stick my neck out I might get crushed. Make me move smartly through the whole planet and clear it and give me a luminous engram as a reward (diablo style). Right now people just teleport between public events. Does anyone actually do Loot sectors or adventures anymore? Did people even explore? Part of D1's fun was exploring every nook and cranny for ghosts when the new content came out.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong as they drip feed content through events. But with how the faction rally and IB are being done, I'm not sure there's much more we can expect until the next DLC.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Agreed, the amount of effort it would require is why they won't do it. They recycle everything all the time to save resources after all.

I'm still dumbfounded by the fact that Bungie hasn't made a non-raid boss in FOUR YEARS that's not a regular enemy, but bigger and spongier. That's a monumental commitment to asset reuse.

Randall the vandal.

Cornbread78

lol, you need an upgrade so you can do it wireless.

hmm... I want to invest in a 2000 and a 64 gb card, so I can store my bazillion Vita games on a system before Sony starts pulling them of some other shenanigans...

Better remote play for D2 leveling alts is gravy on that!

Any ideas for some fun exotics that will seemingly never happen?

Unspoken Promise (legendary sword with +1 ammo perk) is pretty awesome. They should have just made it glow and they could have called it an exotic. I doubt it was intended but I wish there were more cool perks like it has.

Or a gun that harnesses your super/abilities and uses them up as it's ammunition, so theres a trade off. It could deal whatever type of damage your subclass is.

Or an OP rocket launcher that makes you move at like half speed cuz it's heavy. Or a gun that's volatile and will explode on you if you run or jump too much with it equipped.

Sandoval

I play on my Vita every night, but I could never raid with it knowing how spotty Comcast's Wifi is, even at home....

You should look into something like Google WiFi. It was pretty big for us when we moved and I hadn't gotten around to networking the house yet. It was good enough that I was able to handle waiting 6 months before I finally forced myself to get up into the attic and get to work once the temps dropped to a reasonable level.

Unspoken Promise (legendary sword with +1 ammo perk) is pretty awesome. They should have just made it glow and they could have called it an exotic. I doubt it was intended but I wish there were more cool perks like it has.

Or a gun that harnesses your super/abilities and uses them up as it's ammunition, so theres a trade off. It could deal whatever type of damage your subclass is.

Or an OP rocket launcher that makes you move at like half speed cuz it's heavy. Or a gun that's volatile and will explode on you if you run or jump too much with it equipped.

I mean one of the Voidwalker trees let you use part of your super to enhance your grenade. It's not that different.

Christ the exotics are bad in this game. Basic armor perks are now the sole effect of an exotic. Zero creativity. Thank god for Orpheus Rigs. That is the first exotic where i was like, holy shit this is crazy.
I really think unified fireteam size would substantially improve the quality of this game. 6 man fireteams across the board. I would be willing to sacrifice Nightfalls and maybe even the base form of strikes to 3 man only, but heroic patrols or heroic strikes could easily be balanced for 6 man teams. Raids use the same mobs as regular activities, they just give them more health and shield. It doesn't seem like that much of a pipe dream.

lt519

Problem is they can't balance the use of them in PvE with their use in PvP. Really holds them back from making an interesting and fun PvE class building. You look at games like Diablo 3 and you have your classes, but each class has multiple ways of being built and utilized based on the gear you have. Diablo 3's PvE is basically what Destiny needs to copy (and what The Division started to do). Sure you end up with OP builds, but its PvE and the Monster Power can be cranked up. But most importantly it is fun to use that new gear. I've yet to use an Exotic in D2 that was more than "Huh, that's neat ::puts away forever::".

Cornbread78

You should look into something like Google WiFi. It was pretty big for us when we moved and I hadn't gotten around to networking the house yet. It was good enough that I was able to handle waiting 6 months before I finally forced myself to get up into the attic and get to work once the temps dropped to a reasonable level.

Problem is connection stability regardless of the router. I bought a new Asus 1900 router which can give me 50mbs wifi signal like it is nothing and handle multiple connections, however, the Comcast signal into the box fades in and out all the time, so it's a pain in the butt. I use wall plug-ins for the PS4 to help alleviate some of it, but it's really a pita when using remote play.

I don't have a dog in this fight but, as i said before they're flat out of ideas and gambled on the community (that they lucked out on) to carry the game, the usual sycophantic nonsense in that note from Deej is all they've got.

Its got to the point where even Gernader Jake has made a video calling out the end game, (as much as he can without biting the hand which feeds him), you can also go through nearly every top PvP'rs twitter or talk to them and they're all dropping like flies, I even ran into Arktrinity in a D1 Mayhem game yesterday

Removing random rolls was also a huge mistake (imo), the problems with the drops came from the pool being diluted with shit perks, balancing and diabolical drop rates meaning it was a 1/1,000,000 chance of getting the god roll, I mean who wouldn't cream themselves if these dropped?

Cym4cK9WgAAIqDo.jpg

C4u9l_pWAAE93Yq.jpg

Even since D2 dropped I've had interesting drops where the perks have a nice synergy, like an outlaw, rifled, reactive reload luna - a take a knee, PB, smallbore Hawksaw and a rangefinder, reinforced Iron Wreath all hella fun to use and I'd still be hyped if that rangefinder, LiTC luna or close and persona/cascade matador dropped. Luke said how do we make the 10th Better Devils drop more interesting and as far as I can see they've not even bothered

The grind end game will always be a polarizing one but grinding out for that perfect Luna or even Hopscotch you could do whilst mostly having fun in a variety of activities, the whole idea of being able to get everything done in 6hrs and have no need or want to play is stupid

Edit the only thing most people agree on is the toning down of ability spam in PvP as fun as it was lets be honest a ohk grenade every 24 seconds is ebola

Top Bottom