• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

Feorax

The briefness of the timer for accepting a guided games offer is absolute horseshit.

You can't seriously expect me to sit in front of my tv for an hour and not move to even take a piss in case I get matchcmade and then kicked to the back of the queue before I get back.

GazzaGSi

Dammit another reset another week without a 305 helmet it looks like, just have the nightfall to do. Crucible, clan xp and flashpoint milestones all gave me gauntlets lol

Caydes stash boxes were abit more rewarding this week, 4 legendary engrams. All trash items but better than an empty box!

Theorry

I wish this NF was every week lol. This one is always so much fun.
As a Striker Titan even more. Just did a run helping someone out and didnt shoot my gun ones. Just throwing Pulse nades like a mad men haha.

That was a really fun and satisfying newbie raid. Getting better at the right approaches to each encounter. Thanks Childofhate for helping out and trying some new roles. It's nice to see there are still some people out there who haven't had everything fully spoiled for them yet.

I really love this game. It's clearly nowhere close to perfect and never will be. I want to thank everyone who is able to enjoy it despite their disappointment without getting too salty. As always at any of the many nadirs in this cycle this place is difficult to take sometimes but I am still so glad to have had the opportunity to play with so many of you.

It's weird to be going away for a week and when I get back I'll be splitting my time with this game between two platforms. I've never actually done that before. Hopefully at least 5 of you are still on board to play on PC, and it will be nice to see some new faces to the franchise as well.

I also have a feeling I'm really going to go ballistic with this Mario game, it just really seems right up my alley. I still haven't beaten BotW or made it even halfway through the GW2 expansion yet either. It's crazy that the expansion is 72 days away or less and the big VR releases will be out by that point as well. Sometimes I feel like an alien for putting so many free hours into this and still not having nearly enough time to do everything I want to. But it's not to say I don't get the complaints about becoming too casual or wanting more replayability and depth.

I think it's almost a certainty that there will be general improvements over time, but I also think it's a very good time to cut your losses and never look back. To me gaming is supposed to be relaxing and not frustrating. But, I know it's a different kind of hobby to different kinds of people and I just have to keep telling myself there's not one "right" way.

The last few times there was a chunk of new stuff that kept everyone generally happy and distracted for a while, I kinda got bummed out and brought down by the awareness that it wouldn't last. So, I'm trying to take this opportunity while everything sucks to remind myself things will get better. I hope you guys have a great week!

It was a great experience, Hawkian. I'm always up for helping newbies. Thanks for setting it up.

Bold One

Here's a crazy thought:

If you have fun logging on to shoot stuff, "big numbers" not being there to chase doesn't make a difference - if anything, it's one less thing distracting you from the fun shooting.

If you don't have fun logging on to shoot stuff and only did it to see "big numbers climb", then your idea of fun is easily replaceable with an Excel spreadsheet. Hit me up and I can make you a template with "click for big number climb" mechanics.

I think I died

I know you were joking, but a Destiny Excel would sell like gangbusters.

deoee

Will PC use this OT or get a seperate one?
wtzgU.gif

Bold One

When I booted Destiny 2 for the very first time to do the campaign, pretty much all the memories of completing the raids were led by you. I assume it is a similar case for a lot of people in here.

So, for your tireless work carrying the rest of us Guardians, I just want to say thank you.

No matter how bad things got, no matter how dry the content got or how toxic the community became, you could always count on Hawkian to post with a level head and Shepherd a new school Kinderguardians to a new raid.

A proper gent. I salute you.

_Legacy_

Think I'm going to take a little break from D2, the IB grind has burned me out a bit and still a bit salty at not completing any armour sets for Titan and Warlock.

If you don't have fun logging on to shoot stuff and only did it to see "big numbers climb", then your idea of fun is easily replaceable with an Excel spreadsheet. Hit me up and I can make you a template with "click for big number climb" mechanics.

Not sure why this keeps cropping up when the issue is that the numbers climb but don't mean anything. There's literally no point in the PL number, everything could be achieved without it with no significant gameplay difference other than not having that number go up. Once you're level 20 you can use every single item in the game and all challenges could be made as challenging at that level as they are at 305. It just feels so arbitrary compared to the first as there's a massive gulf between when you have experienced all the content and when you're 300+. 280 - 300 is barren.

When I booted Destiny 2 for the very first time to do the campaign, pretty much all the memories of completing the raids were led by you. I assume it is a similar case for a lot of people in here.

So, for your tireless work carrying the rest of us Guardians, I just want to say thank you.

No matter how bad things got, no matter how dry the content got or how toxic the community became, you could always count on Hawkian to post with a level head and Shepherd a new school Kindeguardians to a new raid.

A proper gent. I salute you.

Just wanted to add, I picked up the taken king last year, it was only really thanks to Hawkian I got to experience that raid so I just want to pile on the appreciation!

Dec

Same one is my guess. Its just a multiplatform game.

But a very different game potentially. Just because we don't know when things like Iron Banner and the raid are going to roll out. Might be a bit weird having to include what platform you are discussing or else risk other peoples confusion.

Hopefully it's only a problem for a month or two.

ocean

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;252486486 said:
It just feels so arbitrary compared to the first as there's a massive gulf between when you have experienced all the content and when you're 300+. 280 - 300 is barren.
By “the first” do you mean D1? Because the game has always been like this.

Go on Patrol and shoot a Dreg on a level 4 Guardian. Come back 4 DLCs and 2 years later with a max level character sporting endgame gear with perfect rolls and fully optimized abilities and armor. Shoot a Dreg in Patrol again. You do the same damage. Go back to D1 and think “how many activities actually require me to be 400 Light” tho - other than the absolute highest tier of Raids, basically nowhere.

Destiny Light/Power is just a penalty for doing certain content before you’re “supposed to”. All it’s ever been. Once you reach a given activity’s level, you normalize your damage and are freed from penalties - meaning you finally do as much damage in that activity as you would have on your first Patrol run.

The game makes it fairly steady and non-frustrating to reach 280, at which point you can run any non-Prestige activity without a penalty. Then there’s that gulf you mention where, if you want Prestige, you either play at a power disadvantage or grind the slightly more annoying end of the Power curve to 300.

At the end of the day you’ll still have people frustrated or even pissed that they’re stuck at 303 and stuff despite there being literally zero impact of an eventual climb to 305.

LiK

Think I'm going to take a little break from D2, the IB grind has burned me out a bit and still a bit salty at not completing any armour sets for Titan and Warlock.

I got 3 IB helms and 2 IB class items. Fucking stupid. If they're gonna make us grind, don't do it with a monthly event. Use the grind RNG for stuff that people can do all the time.

I got 3 IB helms and 2 IB class items. Fucking stupid. If they're gonna make us grind, don't do it with a monthly event. Use the grind RNG for stuff that people can do all the time.

Yup. I mean ideally there just wouldnt be that kind of grind at all for that. But to do it in a timed event is just plain dumb imo. I'm not coming back until things have changed/theres new content, but if there was still something to grind for I'd still be playing right now.

_Legacy_

Totally agree, really stupid idea. I can't believe they thought this would be OK. Oh well, time to complete Cuphead!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A few questions now that I've got some time with the game!

1. The orange nodes on a planet - those are like sidequests, yes? I'm assuming there are a finite number of them?
  2. Is there a list of how to trigger heroic versions of public events?
  3. I am getting a bunch of random ass tokens from chests in the wild. What are these for?
  4. When do I unlock my sparrow? I hit level 8 but haven't gotten one yet?
  5. Are there multiple "fast travel" points across planet, or just the one you have when you zone in?
  6. When do I start unlocking strikes? I'm assuming they're locked behind story progress?
  7. And of course, obligatory begging - considering that a number of people are "taking a long break" after finishing shit, anyone have an opneing in a PS4 clan?

Just wanted to add, I picked up the taken king last year, it was only really thanks to Hawkian I got to experience that raid so I just want to pile on the appreciation!

I am going to echo this. Hawk and Hedera were in my KF and WoTM memories. I wouldn't mind coming along to help a newbie normal Leviathan raid, unfortunately the last few have either conflicted with my clan raid or I wasn't around.

LiK

Yup. I mean ideally there just wouldnt be that kind of grind at all for that. But to do it in a timed event is just plain dumb imo. I'm not coming back until things have changed/theres new content, but if there was still something to grind for I'd still be playing right now.

Totally agree, really stupid idea. I can't believe they thought this would be OK. Oh well, time to complete Cuphead!

Yup, I reached 305 last night. Going to take a lengthy break. I'll most likely log back in for Xur if he has anything I want and I'm also gonna mess around in weekly flashpoints and call to arms only just because I enjoy those activities. Nothing else seems worth my time.

Cornbread78

1. The orange nodes on a planet - those are like sidequests, yes? I'm assuming there are a finite number of them?
    Yes, but the rewards are better for just doing the PE's IMO
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-2-guide-how-to-trigger-all-heroic-public-e/1100-6453219/
    http://www.gamesradar.com/destiny-2-how-to-trigger-heroic-public-events-guide/

3. I am getting a bunch of random ass tokens from chests in the wild. What are these for?
    - Turn these into the people with the green banner symbol on each map for reward engrams!
    - Beat the main story first
  5. Are there multiple "fast travel" points across planet, or just the one you have when you zone in?
    There are multiple as you complete the story
  6. When do I start unlocking strikes? I'm assuming they're locked behind story progress?
    "when you complete the main story mission 'Fury', on the planet Io, which is about three quarters of the way through"
  7. And of course, obligatory begging - considering that a number of people are "taking a long break" after finishing shit, anyone have an opneing in a PS4 clan?
LOL, I almost want to drop someone so I can carry your mooching, gold diggin' a$$, lol.

CREMSteve

1. Yes, they can then be replayed later on.
2. https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...-to-trigger-all-heroic-public-e/1100-6453219/
3. Each planet has an NPC that you use the tokens to purchase planet-specific loot.
4. You won’t get a sparrow until you complete the campaign, though you may get one as a random drop prior to that.
5. Multiple. Each planet has zones, each of which has a fast travel point, eventually.
6. Yup, story progress.
7. Search calgarypuck. :). https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2264523

ocean

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;252490878 said:
I don't think it has been, I think there was a larger drive and focus around higher light (28-30) in D1 than there is in D2 (280-305).
If you’re talking Vanilla (the first 3 months of a game we played for 3 years):

The only place in the entire game where you had any incentive whatsoever to be level 30 instead of 29 was the Heroic Raid. Anywhere else (including “power level matters” Iron Banner), it was just a number people wanted because numbers. Nightfalls were level 28, and Normal Raid was 26-28.

The point stands though once you finally hit level 30, all it meant was you’d not have a penalty on a single activity. But at level 30 you’d never kill anything faster or more easily than you did at level 8 in Patrol. A Minotaur would take the same amount of shots to kill. The only difference is HM Raid Minotaurs wouldn’t feel extra punishing.

Destiny Light/Power is just a penalty for doing certain content before you’re “supposed to”. All it’s ever been. Once you reach a given activity’s level, you normalize your damage and are freed from penalties - meaning you finally do as much damage in that activity as you would have on your first Patrol run.

[. . .]

At the end of the day you’ll still have people frustrated or even pissed that they’re stuck at 303 and stuff despite there being literally zero impact of an eventual climb to 305.

In the prestige raid enemies are tougher than normal. I’m 302 and recommended light is 300 and my Merciless shots were not doing as much, proportionally, as they do in the normal raid. I had to use 6-7 shots on the same enemy that takes 3 shots in NM.

Anyone know how that works? Are the enemies actually secretly 350 or something despite recommended light being 300? (If that’s the case, prestige raid will get easier once we can increase our light beyond 305, and every point up to 305 matters right now)

CREMSteve

But at level 30 you’d never kill anything faster or more easily than you did at level 8 in Patrol. A Minotaur would take the same amount of shots to kill. The only difference is HM Raid Minotaurs wouldn’t feel extra punishing.
This isn’t really accurate. Enemies in D1 had levels, just like the player. You couldn’t damage enemies a certain number of levels higher than you. Once your level increased, you could start to damage them, and eventually, as you got higher, you did more damage. There was a cap to this, I want to say three levels above the enemy.

ocean

Banned
This isn’t really accurate. Enemies in D1 had levels, just like the player. You couldn’t damage enemies a certain number of levels higher than you. Once your level increased, you could start to damage them, and eventually, as you got higher, you did more damage. There was a cap to this, I want to say three levels above the enemy.
Sure. And the penalty for being under leveled was super aggressive - to the point of literally not being able to damage them at all.

But for real, walk into 390 Heroic Year 3 súper súper DLC’d Vault of Glass and shoot a Minotaur.
The find a random ass Minotaur on Venus Patrol a billion light below it.

They’ll both be the same: enemies you have no penalty against. The number chase is not about getting more powerful, it’s about normalizing your power and having it stay constant even against higher leveled enemies.

CREMSteve

Now I ain't saying he's a gold digger
But he ain't messing with no broke Guardians
Now I ain't saying he's a gold digger
But he ain't messing wit no broke Guardians…
A better group of Guardians you will not find.
Though I am broke most of the time. 3 kids will do that to ya.

Cornbread78

Still looking for a couple more Guardians for the below Newbie Raid:

So far The Friday night (PS4) Newb Raid (10pm EST) looks like:

Sherpa:
- CarbonFire
-

Newbs:
- Griffy-
- Deadly Cyclone
- Mairu
-

CREMSteve

Sure. And the penalty for being under leveled was super aggressive - to the point of literally not being able to damage them at all.

But for real, walk into 390 Heroic Year 3 súper súper DLC’d Vault of Glass and shoot a Minotaur.
The find a random ass Minotaur on Venus Patrol a billion light below it.

They’ll both be the same: enemies you have no penalty against. The number chase is not about getting more powerful, it’s about normalizing your power and having it stay constant even against higher leveled enemies.
I get that, I’m just saying I can’t think of an example in D2 where I couldn’t damage an enemy. Maybe there was one and I just didn’t notice because I spent so much time leveling in Public Events on EDZ and got ahead of the curve.

Either way, I’m not a fan of the fact that enemies no longer display a level next to their names. :(

One of the most fun things to do in an MMO is venture into a new zone and try to fight enemies above your level for higher rewards. Only to realize that the fights take too long, so you leave, level up a bit more, then come back looking for revenge.

Never experienced that in D2.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the responses!

What's a PE? Public Event?

And I'm totally digging for goodies, yeah. No shame in that. But if people are going to take a 2+ month break, it seems silly NOT to hook up fellow GAF Guardians, eh? ;)

Real talk - while I'm not ashamed to say I'm looking to mooch, I'm also legit looking for a solid group of folks to chill with. Some of my favorite gaming memories have been with GAF folks just doing random shit. Guild Wars 2 Fractals, Destiny 1 strike farming, Neverwinter grinding, etc.

Cornbread78

A better group of Guardians you will not find.
Though I am broke most of the time. 3 kids will do that to ya.

Don't get me started on the cost of kids bruh. It just gets worse as they get older. Start that Fidelity College savings plan now and take advantage of that tax free interest bonus...

And I'm totally digging for goodies, yeah. No shame in that. But if people are going to take a 2+ month break, it seems silly NOT to hook up fellow GAF Guardians, eh? ;)

Real talk - while I'm not ashamed to say I'm looking to mooch, I'm also legit looking for a solid group of folks to chill with. Some of my favorite gaming memories have been with GAF folks just doing random shit. Guild Wars 2 Fractals, Destiny 1 strike farming, Neverwinter grinding, etc.

Yeah, PE= Public Events

I hear ya man. DGAF is a great community even when I took a couple year hiatus from D1 durign all the DLC drought, it was great to come back to so many people still playing and willing to help out.

I really sucks that D2 is splintering thing so quickly.....

CREMSteve

Yup, PE is Public Event.

ocean

Banned
I get that, I’m just saying I can’t think of an example in D2 where I couldn’t damage an enemy. Maybe there was one and I just didn’t notice because I spent so much time leveling in Public Events on EDZ and got ahead of the curve.

Either way, I’m not a fan of the fact that enemies no longer display a level next to their names. :(

One of the most fun things to do in an MMO is venture into a new zone and try to fight enemies above your level for higher rewards. Only to realize that the fights take too long, so you leave, level up a bit more, then come back looking for revenge.

Never experienced that in D2.
“You’re so much higher I can’t hurt you” in D1 was 4+ levels IIRC in Y1, or 40+ Light in Y2. I don’t think I ever encountered any enemies so much higher than me in D2 either but fwiw my Alt felt ridiculously weak while I was power leveling him in Heroic Public Events :p

Anyways my point was this whole “I never feel more powerful why am I even grinding” has been a thing since Vanilla.

Here’s some posts from people complaining that leveling up never made you more powerful (just removed instances when you were at a penalty):

https://www.bungie.net/eu/Forums/Post/88039059

“I know, it kinda doesn't make sense. The damage scaling works differently both ways.
If you are 4 levels or lower below the enemy: 100% damage penalty
If you are 3 levels the enemy: ~52% damage penalty
If you are 2 levels the enemy: ~42% damage penalty
If you are 1 levels the enemy: ~32% damage penalty
If you are 0 levels below or higher than the enemy: 0% damage penalty (This just means that the attack power is neglected, so you look at impact rating)
On the other hand, enemies don't have these disadvantages against you! A level 2 dreg deals as much damage to you (lv32) as a level 30 dreg!”

What about post- TTK with the smoothed our longer Light curve ranging to 300?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...hey_affect_damage_in/?st=j8ygfu8l&sh=8c3b7dbb

“Your light level does not directly contribute to damage. It does, however, add a penalty if you're below the recommended light. Going into the raid at 295 light will get you a ~15% damage penalty at Oryx (who is 300 recommended light), for instance.
The attack stat on your weapon matters.”

Quick way to make dupes worth something until they come up with something better for the long term would be to do a trade in at vendors. Trade in say 3 duplicate legendary weapons to the respective vendors and you can pick a specific one that they carry.

Trade in 10 dupes to a single vendor to start an exotic quest, or just trade it for an exotic.

Xur could even take them. Come up with some mysterious reason he's suddenly hoarding all these weapons. Are we sure we should be giving him this stuff?? Or bring back the ammo synths and trade for those.

I'm just spit balling but it's better than whats there now.

When are we gonna start the Prestige Calus CP sharing parties?

When Ocean provides spreadsheets that will generate excitement on 4th better devils, 5th ib grenade launcher, and getting normal raid tokens as prestige raid rewards.

Edit:
I'm sure sometime soon when people consistently get there and are ok with the rotation process. My clan stopped at baths last night as it was late and raid leader was getting a glitch where no ammo dropped.

neoism

your light level doesnt increase in the prestige raid?!

😂😂😂😂

welp i need a new game😑

GazzaGSi

Really is destroying doing the milestones for the power gear just to get dupes or power level items in the same slot that you already have a 305 item for. This reset for my titan I got 4 titan marks like wtf.

Zereta

Really is destroying doing the milestones for the power gear just to get dupes or power level items in the same slot that you already have a 305 item for. This reset for my titan I got 4 titan marks like wtf.

Forever 304 is the new Forever 29.

I had never been so happy to get a glove as I was last night. Can't wait for that loot anxiety for my hunter and Titan.

Kyne

between a lot of people on PS4 who are taking breaks, people who are double dipping with PC next week, and the 2 people who play on Xbox the community will definitely be segmented.

really hoping for some good news tomorrow that will bring people back, even if it's just for a couple of weeks per content release.

EL CUCO

Forever 304 is the new Forever 29.

I had never been so happy to get a glove as I was last night. Can't wait for that loot anxiety for my hunter and Titan.
Except as 30 you did a bit more damamge and took a lot less. 305 is just to see the number go up.

Top Bottom