• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

Redshirt

Banned
Enjoyed the demo. Glad I can wait to see how this goes over on Xbox/PS4.

I quit Destiny 1 after six weeks and didn't come back to TTK and then was kind of annoyed again with RoI.

Game feels great as expected, but the one thing I'm concerned about is the loot shooter aspect. Destiny 1 was pretty shit in that department and Destiny 2 looks to be pulling back even further.

Enjoyed the demo. Glad I can wait to see how this goes over on Xbox/PS4.

I quit Destiny 1 after six weeks and didn't come back to TTK and then was kind of annoyed again with RoI.

Game feels great as expected, but the one thing I'm concerned about is the loot shooter aspect. Destiny 1 was pretty shit in that department and Destiny 2 looks to be pulling back even further.

I wouldn't judge the looting on the beta. There isn't meant to be any progression really.

RyudBoy

I can't finish the campaign mission because it keeps crashing, but is there a multiplayer/pvp mode available after completing it?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I can't finish the campaign mission because it keeps crashing, but is there a multiplayer/pvp mode available after completing it?
Yeah there's two PvP maps and a strike mission to play. No rewards from anything though so don't worry if things aren't dropping from enemies.

Wallach

Yeah there's two PvP maps and a strike mission to play. No rewards from anything though so don't worry if things aren't dropping from enemies.

Well, you do get a couple rewards from the chest at the end of the strike. But yeah, in general there isn't much to find.

Blitzhex

Is there a way to pay in dollars for this game on b.net? I'm in the middle east and its making me pay euros.
There was a way to buy overwatch in us dollars back at its launch I remember.

Ramirez

HCs are great, but Scathelocke is great when flanking, and Nergal's gives you more control at range than the HCs, IMO. Better Devils feels a little too OP, Minuet didn't feel as strong to me.

No physics, no stuff laying around to find? No codecs, nothing destructible? I was trying to find some stuff, since I heard it was a loot game, but even if you go out of your way to explore, there is nothing there. All that space and it's completely empty apart from teleporting enemies and one or two mini-scripted events.

I like the gunplay and the movement so far. Will try PvP and the coop mission tomorrow, but if this is all that Destiny has to offer for SP, I might just play Doom one more time or finally buy Wolfenstein.
I'm genuinely not sure if you're trolling or just haven't bothered to look at any of the trailers or threads but no, a strike and a story mission aren't representative of all the SP content there is.

That said, Destiny is definitely at its best with friends, and Wolfenstein is a great SP FPS. If you don't want to use matchmaking or LFG at all in Destiny you will certainly have a lesser experience than otherwise but there's certainly still a lot to do on your own.

Anyone used a controller in PvP? I'm hearing lots of people say it's very effective. How effective? Is such a thing even possible?

I hear that this has been crazy powerful during the beta.

Tricks the game into thinking you're using a controller and applies head shot aim assist. Even though you're still using a mouse and keyboard.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well, you do get a couple rewards from the chest at the end of the strike. But yeah, in general there isn't much to find.
Ah right, haven't actually done the strike yet as I want to stay away from pve for launch. I know they did turn off looting to mainly test functionality rather then balance so intrigued to see how quick they are on RNG fixes.

Anyone used a controller in PvP? I'm hearing lots of people say it's very effective. How effective? Is such a thing even possible?

It works great. You'll feel outplayed in certain circumstances for sure even if you're good at shooters, but overall it is possible to do quite well. I know it's how I'm going to play it, I'm just better at shooters on my gamepad and it would take me years of practice to have it switch the other way.

I hear that this has been crazy powerful during the beta.

Tricks the game into thinking you're using a controller and applies head shot aim assist. Even though you're still using a mouse and keyboard.

Ugh, this is why we can't have nice things.

Redshirt

Banned
I wouldn't judge the looting on the beta. There isn't meant to be any progression really.

Oh yeah. I was referring to the changes to passives on weapons.

I know there's apparently a system coming for duplicates, but it won't be there at launch and sounds less of a fun grind than Destiny 1 pre-TTK.

SourBear

Banned
One thing people need to remember is this Beta is extremely bare bones compared to regular Destiny. No huge open worlds to explore, only 1 strike, and only 1 mission. The actual game itself has waaaay more to offer.

LOL thats what they said during the Destiny 1 beta and that turned out to be bare bones as fuck on release. I will not be buying this game until I hear post-release reviews a month after release. If the consensus then is that there is a good amount of content then I'll consider it. But fuck if I'm not burned from that initial Destiny 1 launch.

Ramirez

LOL thats what they said during the Destiny 1 beta and that turned out to be bare bones as fuck on release. I will not be buying this game until I hear post-release reviews a month after release. If the consensus then is that there is a good amount of content then I'll consider it. But fuck if I'm not burned from that initial Destiny 1 launch.

I mean, they had a patrol zone blowout last week, it's obvious the game has tons of content. Year 1 was so long ago, and the game hasn't really hurt for content since TTK released.

Nicorasu

Neo Member
Is there a way to launch the game in a second screen? without turning that one as a primary one? i cant find any option to it.

SliChillax

I still don't know what the V key ability does with Hunter, she just dashes forward or something like that. I also can't seem to make the X key air move work, nothing happens when I press it.

Dec

I wish the options offered for class abilities were a little more varied, I am not really a huge fan of any of them. The Warlock healing circle thing seems the most obviously useful, but it's not really satisfying to use.

There are no invincibility frames on the Hunter dodge which makes it extremely situational. As in, in most situations it does nothing in pvp. Only for slightly faster movement to get behind a corner for the most part. The melee reset is probably more useful there.

In PvE it's better, the reload ups DPS.

Overall not very good.

I still don't know what the V key ability does with Hunter, she just dashes forward or something like that. I also can't seem to make the X key air move work, nothing happens when I press it.

you need to be gliding I think. I use it while in supers to move through the air fast, and it can be used with the Warlock's jump glide I think. It's basically a dash that only works while hovering.

FinKL

There's absolutely no tutorial for new comers so it's very offputting not knowing what does what

The hunter V is a dodge that reloads your weapon OR refills your melee special attack depending on what you chose in your talent tree. The hunter doesn't have an X move like Titan or Warlock so that's why nothing happens

Ramirez

Worth noting, it only refills your melee ability on Gunslinger, if you're near an enemy. People say the roll sucks, but the amount of times refilling my knife and turning a battle is countless for me. Not to mention it allows you to escape situations that would be certain death for the other 2 classes by dodging into cover.

It doesn't have any group utility, but does it need to? The other 2 abilities are extremely situational as well as far as actually being useful to teammates.

Is anyone else having super slow download speeds? I usually get 10MB/s on the updates through Battle.net App, but with the D2 download its struggling to break 250 KB/s.

SliChillax

you need to be gliding I think. I use it while in supers to move through the air fast, and it can be used with the Warlock's jump glide I think. It's basically a dash that only works while hovering.

There's absolutely no tutorial for new comers so it's very offputting not knowing what does what

The hunter V is a dodge that reloads your weapon OR refills your melee special attack depending on what you chose in your talent tree. The hunter doesn't have an X move like Titan or Warlock so that's why nothing happens

Thanks for clearing it up guys

feel

Ditched the controller because stuff like clicking to sprint and aiming around felt too awkward, feels godlike to play on the mouse and keyboard after some remapping. This is truly a totally different game for the better on PC.

One thing people need to remember is this Beta is extremely bare bones compared to regular Destiny. No huge open worlds to explore, only 1 strike, and only 1 mission. The actual game itself has waaaay more to offer.

I feel like the PC Beta and the Console Beta should have been different. The PC Beta should have been more similar to D1's Beta / Alpha where you let people level up / explore / gain loot so people could get a feel for the main gameplay loop /hook.
Yeah, this beta doesn't really seem to demonstrate the Destiny experience well to PC players. But at least the gameplay, performace/visuals and KB/M controls are sublime and reeling people in even if they don't know much about what the game is about.

old

I'm a titan. I can make the full height shield. But how do I make the half height shield that I can duck behind and still shoot over?

Is anyone else having super slow download speeds? I usually get 2MB/s on the updates through Battle.net App, but with the D2 download its struggling to break 250 KB/s.

Same. My download has been super slow since I got home 4 hours ago. I have 50mbps down so it should have finished forever ago. I'm seeing everyone here talking about how great it is and here I am still downloading.

Never played the first Destiny, but the bit of campaign in this beta seemed pretty cool, liked the strike mission as well.

Something feels off to me in the PVP mode though, like I must be missing something, cause it felt like there were some players that took practically no damage compared to others.

The1Ski

Played through the mission, first time Destiny player, it was a lot of fun. But without loot, whats the point in playing? They should have started us lower with worse gear so we know what can drop loot and stuff.

Yeah the lack of loot in the beta is bizarre. It's such an essential /basic component of the game.

What if an arpg or MMO beta released without loot!?

Further, I imagine that the beta would be a good opportunity to test drop rates or itemization

Tovarisc

Never played the first Destiny, but the bit of campaign in this beta seemed pretty cool, liked the strike mission as well.

Something feels off to me in the PVP mode though, like I must be missing something, cause it felt like there were some players that took practically no damage compared to others.

P2P with client side-ish hit detection.

It's platform for salt generation and frustration when you don't get host or host to you latency advantages.

Edit: For people complaining about loot. There is 2 armor sets / class and bucket load of weapons to farm in beta. You know that right?

This is kind of a technical issue, but if anyone can lend some insight. it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running the beta on a gtx 980m (4gb) and it runs beautifully on my laptop, however plugging it in externally to my hdtv through the thunderbolt 3 connection seems to render the game choppy with frame drops all over the place. Other games seem to run fine. the cable i'm using supports 60hz at 4k, although i'm running the game at 1080p.

All I wanna do is play the game on my tv.

TitusTroy

is 'Show/Hide Text Chat' the same as that screen that you use to chat by hitting Enter?...if so it doesn't seem to show/hide when I hit the key

......The Destiny 1 Beta / Alpha had substantially more content than even this Beta. A significant amount more.

This D2 Beta is cool but its about as shallow as it gets. No leveling / no loot / no open world and patrol zones to explore. The D1 Beta included all of that

Tovarisc

......The Destiny 1 Beta / Alpha had substantially more content than even this Beta. A significant amount more.

This D2 Beta is cool but its about as shallow as it gets. No leveling / no loot / no open world and patrol zones to explore. The D1 Beta included all of that

There is loot to farm, but otherwise list is accurate.

Sygma

Not to make a wall of quotes, but this is basically my concern with this beta. For me, the draw to Destiny has always been the PvE gameplay and loot grinding. This beta doesn't communicate that at all. Sure the one story mission is fantastic and highlights how exciting some of the campaign missions can be - but... I worry PC players are going to find the one story mission fun, and the strike interesting - but they'll be missing the carrot on the stick which is the rewards from those missions.

Then you're stuck with the PVP, which I've been enjoying but is *really* unbalanced on PC. As quoted above, it's stomp or get stomped. If you are not using a hand cannon you are almost certainly at a disadvantage. And the gear sets seem to have very little impact on play - which again neuters the carrot on the stick of finding new gear.

I'm glad the initial feedback seems to be people just being wowed at the performance and visuals... just hope that carries through to people playing the actual game where there is much more to it than an unbalanced PVP mode.

... its just the beta locked with starting gear and the pvp actually is pretty balanced in it.

Game literally has the same gunplay than Battlefield 3 so you have to shoot first since there's some crazy suppression going on, altering your accuracy. Just shoot first always and go for headshots. It's totally possible to wreck shit up with any weapon even if more or less everyone is running around as a hunter with Better Devils equipped.

Headshots matter a ton in here

Other than that, gear based pvp is cancer. The best pvp titles don't have that for a reason, it just doesn't work on pc. Gear should stay in PvE in order to have an edge if you happen to be a hardcore raider for example. Even FF XIV reworked entirely their pvp system to make it so and lo and behold, plenty of people are playing it now

Wanderer5

Well back to the whole Initializing issue, and seems like just restarting and not pausing works. Guess I just let it download overnight.

Oscar

Bungie is shitting the bed by allowing aim assist for PvP.

Blizzard tried pulling the same stunt during Overwatch's beta, I hope they advise Bungie to get rid of it here too.

Xeteh

I'm really surprised by how well it runs on my PC. I have the minimum specs, not even recommended, and it ran so smooth. I was expecting it to run like crap.

Top Bottom