• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

Trace

Banned
so Strike missions are the main single player story mode?...

No. Strikes are the equivalent of "dungeons" in other MMOs, that will have difficulty settings and modifiers for better loot. There is a campaign with story missions that you can coop if you want but are primarily single player. The mission you play at the start of this beta is a story mission.

I have same question. Is there like a hub or something or just a bunch of instanced mission maps that I pick from menus?

There's a social hub called the farm with vendors and faction stuff, a "patrol" which is basically large open world maps that will have public events, bounties, small quests and stuff. There are also the story missions which you pick from a menu.

hydruxo

so Strike missions are the main single player story mode?...
No. Story missions are the main campaign story missions.

Strikes are like 15-20 min missions with a boss at the end that aren't a direct part of the campaign. There are strike playlists in the full game where you enter matchmaking and it picks random strikes.

Hoooo boy what a neat game... but the control options suck MASSIVELY.

A heavy amount of actions bound in an uncomfortable manner? Yep.
Rebind-able gamepad controls? No
Multi use keys for 1st/3rd person and vehicles? Sure... for only a few default layout only actions...

So you try to take a load off by using a Playstation Navigation controller+Scp Monitor/XInput and just try to make due around the controller defaults... and then you find out that the game does not support simultaneous M/K+Gamepad... in an MMO shooter. What the fuck???

The only way forward was to use Xpadder (the paid version, thanks Windows 10) to intercept the input calls and add press/hold binds (which adds lag). And that works... about 80% of the time. The other 20% involves Xpadder and the game switch-fucking priority around so your controls become unresponsive until you take a second to force an action by hammering your controls around or standing still (its a toss up).

Continuous combat/action (80%) remains reliable (about 95% yeah awesome videyagames!; 5% OH FUCK, FUCK WORK!). During non combat sections (20%), it'll will toy with your patience (70% brisk walking, running, looking; 30% come on fucker, do the thing!)

You know what game doesn't have most of these problems + no Xpadder required? The 2003 Halo:CE gearbox port, which I have been playing a lot thanks to SPV3. Hmm... quite a high bar there...

Here's this port's #1 problem Bungie/Vicarious Visions! Put in Simultaneous M&K+Gampad, add individual rebind able controller button options, and add in better multi use key/ multi use button options. Not sure I'd be willing to drop $60 otherwise.

About the Controller + mouse support, I feel you dude.

If you want, you can make your desire for the option known in this post I made in the forums because it makes a world of difference for a condition I have. Just prepare to possibly deal with a whole lot of Elitism.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/230304343

DJ88

if you have ds4 windows turn that off, the game has antive ds4 support, also it seems youre having some random input in your keyboard.

Nah, no ds4 windows here. And I shut my keyboard completely off and it was still happening.

I did solve the problem though by ending all background tasks of Steam.

For the too easy crowd don't worry. End Game Destiny has some brutal difficult things to attempt. The main ones being Nightfall Strikes and the Raids. Nightfall Strikes happen weekly and offer good loot drops. Lots of really difficult modifiers are turned on that make it much more challenging than a normal strike.

Raids are the bread and butter of Destiny and really what the entire game builds towards. It will take all 6 team member communicating and working together heavily to have any hope of beating them (outside of a few "cheese" strategies that will be discovered). During your first attempt at a Raid it will likely take your group hours. After a while they will also release Hard Mode versions of the Raid that up the difficulty even more

Does loot still drop as a cool colorful orb like this?

Destiny_Loot_Drop.png

Cuz all I've seen so far are literal gigantic loot crates materializing out of thin air after defeating some enemies.

I don't remember seeing that way back when I played destiny 1 at launch but my memory could be fuzzy I guess... I don't like it.

While both don't make logical sense, a cool colorful orb makes more sense to my mind than a giant loot crate materializing out of nowhere. And the orbs look way cooler as well.

Does loot still drop as a cool colorful orb like this?

Destiny_Loot_Drop.png

Cuz all I've seen so far are literal gigantic loot crates materializing out of thin air after defeating some enemies.

I don't remember seeing that way back when I played destiny 1 at launch but my memory could e fuzzy I guess... I don't like it.

While both don't make logical sense, a cool colorful orb makes more sense to my mind than a giant loot crate materializing out of nowhere. And the orbs look way cooler as well.

The Beta doesn't feature Loot in any meaningful way. Just a few random drops.

The final game has loot engrams like the picture above yes

NightOnyx

Really disappointed in pvp. Just as I thought I don't like 4v4 and cramped maps much. I played so much crucible in first game, it was like Halo lite with classes and that was good. 6v6 with vehicles, that's bungie multiplayer not this glorified swat mode.

Agreed. I really doubt I'll play much PVP at all at this point. While I do prefer PVE, I still played a good amount of PVP is Destiny 1, but only having 4v4 is a big disappointment for me. I mean options are a good thing. Bungie always supported a variety of game mode, especially in Halo, so why put limits on it? If it's really the esport thing, then I still don't understand why they can't push that with 4v4 but also keep the rest of the stuff in the game?

supergiz

Ok joining in on this. Remembering playing first Destiny and enjoying it. Been a while since I last played (think I actually only played Beta for first Destiny).

TitusTroy

as a first time Destiny player I can see the appeal of this game from a visual and gameplay standpoint...but my main takeaway is that it seems geared towards casual gamers...meaning anyone can just jump in and play and have fun shooting things for a few hours...doesn't seem to have much real skill or strategy involved except shoot and move...I finished the Inverted Spire Strike mission and it was fun and had some challenge to it...

I do love the audio...some really great voice acting and overall sound effects...visuals and performance are also excellent...since this is part of an Nvidia promo I can see myself playing for $25-$30

Pooya

as a first time Destiny player I can see the appeal of this game from a visual and gameplay standpoint...but my main takeaway is that it seems geared towards casual gamers...meaning anyone can just jump in and play and have fun shooting things for a few hours...doesn't seem to have much real skill or strategy involved except shoot and move...I finished the Inverted Spire Strike mission and it was fun and had some challenge to it...

I do love the audio...some really great voice acting and overall sound effects...visuals and performance are also excellent...since this is part of an Nvidia promo I can see myself playing for $25-$30

skill and strategy comes in the end game raids and nightfall content. If you played Diablo and similar games, they're piss easy in normal runs, it's same thing. That's just the way it is with loot games I guess. Bulk of your time playing the game will be about grinding these strikes and raids and their higher difficulty variations that change on a weekly basis for better and better loot. That's the game.

If it's like the first game, story missions are irrelevant. You go through them to unlock stuff, that's about it.

TitusTroy

skill and strategy comes in the end game raids and nightfall content. If you played Diablo and similar games, they're piss easy in normal runs. That's just the way it is with loot games I guess.

can I complete the entire Story/campaign mode solo, even the end-game content?

CHC

Holy hell that Inverted Spire mission was (a) very, very beautiful and (b) much, much better designed than anything I saw in Destiny 1.

Was a lot of fun, reminded me of a good WoW dungeon. Could do with a little more enemy variety, generally, but I'm liking this whole package from what I've played.

120v

as a first time Destiny player I can see the appeal of this game from a visual and gameplay standpoint...but my main takeaway is that it seems geared towards casual gamers...meaning anyone can just jump in and play and have fun shooting things for a few hours...doesn't seem to have much real skill or strategy involved except shoot and move...

lol no... game can require mad skill at times. other than maybe strikes and patrol it is no way "casual oriented"

Pooya

can I complete the entire Story/campaign mode solo, even the end-game content?

Story? of course. That's why they're easy I guess while strikes are designed with co-op in mind, you will have no trouble beating those with randoms while feeling some challenge. They're not auto win.

But nightfall and raids? Those are a different story, you need a group and need to communicate and have proper gear and a plan.

They're doing more stuff in this game besides those, there is patrol and public events and such. First game didn't have much happening besides strikes and raids so these should be interesting.

lol no... game can require mad skill at times. other than maybe strikes and patrol it is no way "casual oriented"

Yeah people aren't getting a feel for how hard Destiny end game is. Raids and Nightfalls are brutal unless you have a very cohesive, communicating, group with the right weapons / strategies. Hard Mode King's Fall and Wrath of the Machine in Destiny 1 were insanely fucking difficult when they launched.

Destiny does have a lot of casual / easy to play options to get as many people involved as possible. But make no mistake if you are seeking a challenge it will be there

wrongway

Damn, this PC version is legit. I was bummed out that I just wasn't feeling the PS4 version after liking the first game so much. This is quickly turning me around though. It looks and runs beautifully, and the gameplay feels so much more lively to me with a good FOV and MKB. This turned out to be a really pleasant surprise.

Why does it feel like I'm getting smoked in MP? Where do I get this pistol that people seem to be murdering me with? My AR doesn't have any oomph it would seem.

Kind of cool you can explore a bit in the strike and find random stuff. Got these guys to spawn

Yeah, all kinds of things spawn if you stick around. I'd really like to explore more with a group.

Can we even send invites to friends yet? Or is everything just randoms?

EDIT: Also, how do I know if my mic is on, on PC. Is there a mute button?

Stoze

Gunplay feels really damn good, the strike mission is neat and more memorable than anything I played from the first.

I liked what I played of the PvP so far, but man I'm not used to such cramped and chaotic matches. The last two FPS competitive games I played were PUBG and Battlefield 1.

Trace

Banned
Pulse Rifles were pretty much king in the Crucible during the console beta. Not sure if that has changed for the PC beta.

They definitely aren't anymore. Auto rifles + handcannons are the best ATM. With a smattering of submachine gun depending on playstyle.

Ramirez

Pulse Rifles were pretty much king in the Crucible during the console beta. Not sure if that has changed for the PC beta.

Better Devils is the best weapon in the PC beta, but Nergals/Nightshade are still really strong too. Scathelocke is great in the right situations as well. I think overall, the balance is pretty good on the weapons, with BD standing out the most. The more traditional Scout rifle takes up way too much screen to use, IMO.

Better Devils is the best weapon in the PC beta, but Nergals/Nightshade are still really strong too. Scathelocke is great in the right situations as well. I think overall, the balance is pretty good on the weapons, with BD standing out the most. The more traditional Scout rifle takes up way too much screen to use, IMO.

Oh man, okay, I'm definitely getting the hang of this. Better Devils is crazy powerful if you are an accurate shot! I love it.

Quick impressions. (Played probably 100ish hours of Destiny1)

First as many have said it feels like it has found its home on PC. Like many games. Smooth as hell and playing with the Keyboard and Mouse again is just spectacular. Runs very well too.

The strike point was fun. I enjoyed the verticallity of the level and the little platforming sections. Made the level feel bigger overall. Backdrops are stunning as usual. I enjoyed the last boss, maybe I missed it in D1 but this guy seemed to actually a couple mechanics in contrast to just being a meat shield. Took 2 attempts but got him down, good fun.

MP felt great on PC. The pistol is too good, managed to win most rounds with a efficiency of 3+ with it. Great fun to put that together with the warlock moves. Not a spot of lag for me which is nice.

Overall feels pretty good. Feels like they have more just released D1 with a quality patch on PC than a sequel, but still positive overall impressions. I can see myself picking it up a couple months down the track when the price has dropped.

What GPU does one need to hit a constant 1080p/60 fps at the highest/notch below the highest settings?

I have a 970 and that has it pretty much locked at 60 at 1440P. Lowered a couple areas from max, like shadows. Seems to be optimised really well.

What GPU does one need to hit a constant 1080p/60 fps at the highest/notch below the highest settings?

I can do it with an R9 390 + 4690k + 8gb of ram. I need to try it more to see if there are any drops, but so far it's been good.

First time playing Destiny, the art is amazing.

DjRalford

Something feels off about the controls, and for some reason my aim is shitty with a mouse, which is odd as I have no problems in UT.

Maybe it's having to use ADS that's putting me off, still it's surprisingly silky compared to D1.

My download has been stuck near the end, initializing for half the day :/

Restarting my PC, killing battlenet through task manager, nothing seems to work. :(

Aim is weird as hell with KB+M. Maybe it's because I played 2k hours of D1 with a DS4?

Something feels really off, I don't have issues in OW with KB+M.

Not that it matters I will be playing on PS4 with my friends.

wrongway

My download has been stuck near the end, initializing for half the day :/

Restarting my PC, killing battlenet through task manager, nothing seems to work. :(

I had mine hang on initializing forever when I was trying to download it. I kept getting such shoddy speeds that I tried pausing and resuming a few times to try to land on less congested servers. One of those times it got stuck and sat at initializing for like 20 minutes before resuming. Just give it time and hope for the best I guess. :\

edit, oh damn half the day? I read that as half an hour. Tired + no glasses. Yikes. Uh. Check firewall maybe, and/or reboot router? Try a different DNS? Dunno :(

HowZatOZ

Banned
Is there a way to launch the game in a second screen? without turning that one as a primary one? i cant find any option to it.
Not sure if anyone answered you but I believe there's a setting in-game to dictate which screen you want the game to appear on.
I still don't know what the V key ability does with Hunter, she just dashes forward or something like that. I also can't seem to make the X key air move work, nothing happens when I press it.
What doesn't help is the fact we are playing level 20 characters so the typical tutorial elements are probably turned off because of that fact.

Frostburn

Something feels off about the controls, and for some reason my aim is shitty with a mouse, which is odd as I have no problems in UT.

Maybe it's having to use ADS that's putting me off, still it's surprisingly silky compared to D1.

Turn off Vsync and check the show framerate option (To see if you are getting spikes of performance drops while in combat) Also make sure you don't have any mouse smoothing or acceleration on.

What's the general consensus on performance?

I've got an i7 6700K and a GTX 1070, both at factory clocks. getting anywhere between sub 30 to 60 frames on 2560x1440, max settings. :/

Haven't gotten the latest drivers tho, so that might help, but I'm a little sad my machine is struggling so much with this game.

Top Bottom