• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep (OT4) Free Stuff For Everybody!

VertigoOA

Banned
Ah, so “hero” nightmare hunts drop today. I wonder if anything else of course.

Finally had a day off. Taking the few hours to start my hunter. The power grind on the second character is like effortless.

My Titan build has finally surpassed my last season’s pvp build in mobility, resilience and discipline. I had an 8/8/1 spread last time but this is far superior. My grenade recharge is under a min by default. I always have them with orb generation etc.

The build options do begin to show when you start uogradig and building it right.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Am I imagining things, or did some of the legacy stuff get harder? I was trying to solo strikes from a playlist last night to see if completions would help progress this damn Wendigo GL3 quest, and I legit was having fits with the when fighting the Fanatic and again with the boss at the end of Savathun's Song . Granted, there are parts that are clearly designed for a fireteam, but still it felt like my damage output was just trash. I understand being overleveled doesn't work that way, but still, my weapons and gear are around 900, so I would think I should be able to take one of these basic strike bosses down myself without having to treat it (i.e. cheese it) like it's a Nightfall.

Oh, and then I wanted to do a few Black Armory bounties and roll another Blast Furnace, and I tell you, I've hadn't failed a forge up until this point, but in four attempts, me and two randoms failed four times in a row, leaving the Walker with a sliver of health as time ran out. Admittedly in both modes, I had very little in the way of heavy drops so that hurt. I also to be lacking any sort of mods that will have heavy ammo drop.

I know, git gud, but I just thought it was curious.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Scorch canon pvp control mode in crucible just launched ...

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: ANd got booted. Game is at capacity

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_angry:

Edit: server offline

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Am I imagining things, or did some of the legacy stuff get harder? I was trying to solo strikes from a playlist last night to see if completions would help progress this damn Wendigo GL3 quest, and I legit was having fits with the when fighting the Fanatic and again with the boss at the end of Savathun's Song . Granted, there are parts that are clearly designed for a fireteam, but still it felt like my damage output was just trash. I understand being overleveled doesn't work that way, but still, my weapons and gear are around 900, so I would think I should be able to take one of these basic strike bosses down myself without having to treat it (i.e. cheese it) like it's a Nightfall.

Oh, and then I wanted to do a few Black Armory bounties and roll another Blast Furnace, and I tell you, I've hadn't failed a forge up until this point, but in four attempts, me and two randoms failed four times in a row, leaving the Walker with a sliver of health as time ran out. Admittedly in both modes, I had very little in the way of heavy drops so that hurt. I also to be lacking any sort of mods that will have heavy ammo drop.

I know, git gud, but I just thought it was curious.
Felt that way to me too, but I was/am mostly putting it down to my old gear. That said, a lot of cogs have been rebalanced.
Ah yeah the Bergusia forge - had the same sliver of health left for an extended period of time, but it did eventually die.

Gp1

Scorch canon pvp control mode in crucible just launched ...

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: ANd got booted. Game is at capacity

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_angry:

Edit: server offline

Servers are being hammered pretty hard. Got booted countless time this past weekend. Even changing zones with tower fast traveling take some time.

Quick question, how do i start vex offensive? Do i have to play to much into shadowkeep to acess it?

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I enjoyed nothing of that scorched canon mode. Probably won’t play it again ever. Will opt to play countdown for the rotator playslist reward instead.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Servers are being hammered pretty hard. Got booted countless time this past weekend. Even changing zones with tower fast traveling take some time.

Quick question, how do i start vex offensive? Do i have to play to much into shadowkeep to acess it?

To unlock Vex Offensive you need to finish a quest that doesn't show in questlog. You need to do a public event on the moon and then just wait around a minute in that area and you'll see a notification of a vex portal opening. Go to the area of lightning and kill a tough yellow bar, repeat this a second time to spawn an even harder hydra, kill that and you should have gotten a Eyes of the Moon item, talk to Ikora or Eris (Can't remember) and it should open up VO.

VertigoOA

Banned
Ikora has a new vo today about building a portal to kill the undying mind in 1,000 different realities and that’s what we’re gonna build....

Ok... that’s a bit harsh

so even thou I thought I beat the Forsaken main story, turns out I didn't. there's the whole Dreaming City stuff going on and after I finished the first part of it, now I'm kinda stuck. I see no open quest marker or anything for it at all. only thing new is the Mad Bomber Heroic adventure. which after I finishing it it's still there, so I think I musta missed something in the fight. any tips?

so even thou I thought I beat the Forsaken main story, turns out I didn't. there's the whole Dreaming City stuff going on and after I finished the first part of it, now I'm kinda stuck. I see no open quest marker or anything for it at all. only thing new is the Mad Bomber Heroic adventure. which after I finishing it it's still there, so I think I musta missed something in the fight. any tips?

Dreaming City storyline is new story missions each week. Rotating weekly Ascendant challenges and a third week Dungeon all contribute to said story.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Heroic Adventures stay on your map I'm pretty sure even after completion. Do you need to do the steps to unlock Dreaming City?

Dthomp

Holy Crap VertigoOA VertigoOA wasn't wrong about Scorch mode. Only positive is that the matches are super quick for the 4 to get the tier 1 drop. Hit detection is stupid with those things and any class that can stay off the ground for extended has the advantage.

Leave it to the PVP community to take a trash game mode like this and still pull out stompees and crutch exotics so they can tryhard up such a dumb play mode...

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Been playing the game with 2 friends and have some questions that we can't seem to figure it out because of how poorly the game treats new players, so anyway:

1. We just finished the base story and curse of osiris and going through warmind now and might go through Forsaken as well. We don't own Shadowkeep, yet. Will we reach max power level just like anyone else who owns all content or are we stuck until we purchase the last expansion? What happens after max power level with the loot drops?

2. What exactly does matter in Crucibles with level advantages disabled? Do we really need the best armors and best weapons because whenever I look at some guides they are all made as if we know the fucking game and they're all wearing exotics and stuff. From what I understand, only weapons matter but what exactly about them matters? The 5-6 stats on them or the weapon types? Can someone with a rare hand canon even beat fairly someone with exotics? We played a few matches and we won some but we just don't understand the point of those stats or how exactly all the gear matters.

3. Raids. Do they scale? Can you solo them? Can I beat all raids with my 2 friends without owning the last expansion, in terms of difficulty? I went alone with my 890 power level to one of the raids and it did not seem that hard at all. wtf am I missing here?

4.Any other tips? Theres just so much busy shit in the game from bounties to reputation, and whatever, we have like 20ish or more quests and just don't know what to do after the campaigns. Are those reputation points we waste with the guy on the tower where you give your weapon parts even worth it? Should we consume the legendary shards to the guy next to him that gives random legendary loot? What should we focus on? My guess is the black armory forge quests would be a start right?

Last edited:
Been playing the game with 2 friends and have some questions that we can't seem to figure it out because of how poorly the game treats new players, so anyway:

1. We just finished the base story and curse of osiris and going through warmind now and might go through Forsaken as well. We don't own Shadowkeep, yet. Will we reach max power level just like anyone else who owns all content or are we stuck until we purchase the last expansion? What happens after max power level with the loot drops?

2. What exactly does matter in Crucibles with level advantages disabled? Do we really need the best armors and best weapons because whenever I look at some guides they are all made as if we know the fucking game and they're all wearing exotics and stuff. From what I understand, only weapons matter but what exactly about them matters? The 5-6 stats on them or the weapon types? Can someone with a rare hand canon even beat fairly someone with exotics? We played a few matches and we won some but we just don't understand the point of those stats or how exactly all the gear matters.

3. Raids. Do they scale? Can you solo them? Can I beat all raids with my 2 friends without owning the last expansion, in terms of difficulty? I went alone with my 890 power level to one of the raids and it did not seem that hard at all. wtf am I missing here?

4.Any other tips? Theres just so much busy shit in the game from bounties to reputation, and whatever, we have like 20ish or more quests and just don't know what to do after the campaigns. Are those reputation points we waste with the guy on the tower where you give your weapon parts even worth it? Should we consume the legendary shards to the guy next to him that gives random legendary loot? What should we focus on? My guess is the black armory forge quests would be a start right?

1. You're allowed to hit max power. The loot drops are the same at max power the point of loot when you're max is getting a collection together that's all at max, also random rolls.
2. The right guns or the right perks on the right armor can matter in crucible but power level does not. The stats on the guns is what you should worry about once you're experienced, for now use what makes you comfortable.
3. Unless you're a God like Slayerage you're going to need full 6 man teams for Raids. Raids are not possible if you're too far below their power level, you also can't get too big an advantage above the Raid power level. For instance I think the difference you can reasonably attain is 30 power level, so if you do Leviathan 100 PL above the raid it won't suddenly be easy. You don't need to own Shadowkeep to do any raids besides the Shadowkeep raid. You say it didn't seem that hard but did you beat the raid?
4. The biggest tip I can give is not to worry that there's so much to do, do what you want to do, what interests you and take your time. I wouldn't recc getting the random legendary loot, reputation tokens/gun parts I like saving up to trade in in big heaps usually when new DLC drops. But if you're looking for specific loot different vendors have different loot to offer. You legit can focus on whatever you want, my dude. There's no rule book for this stuff, it's whatever gives you pleasure, most activities reward high end gear.

Dthomp

1. You're allowed to hit max power. The loot drops are the same at max power the point of loot when you're max is getting a collection together that's all at max, also random rolls.
2. The right guns or the right perks on the right armor can matter in crucible but power level does not. The stats on the guns is what you should worry about once you're experienced, for now use what makes you comfortable.
3. Unless you're a God like Slayerage you're going to need full 6 man teams for Raids. Raids are not possible if you're too far below their power level, you also can't get too big an advantage above the Raid power level. For instance I think the difference you can reasonably attain is 30 power level, so if you do Leviathan 100 PL above the raid it won't suddenly be easy. You don't need to own Shadowkeep to do any raids besides the Shadowkeep raid. You say it didn't seem that hard but did you beat the raid?
4. The biggest tip I can give is not to worry that there's so much to do, do what you want to do, what interests you and take your time. I wouldn't recc getting the random legendary loot, reputation tokens/gun parts I like saving up to trade in in big heaps usually when new DLC drops. But if you're looking for specific loot different vendors have different loot to offer. You legit can focus on whatever you want, my dude. There's no rule book for this stuff, it's whatever gives you pleasure, most activities reward high end gear.

As far as the raids go, FTP players only get Leviathan, Eater of Worlds, and Spire of Stars. They won't get access to Last Wish, Scourge of the Past, Crown of Sorrow, or Garden of Salvation.

As far as the raids go, FTP players only get Leviathan, Eater of Worlds, and Spire of Stars. They won't get access to Last Wish, Scourge of the Past, Crown of Sorrow, or Garden of Salvation.

It was my understanding that free to play came with things like Forges and Gambit Prime so I assumed those raids as well, my bad then. Does this mean buying Forsaken gives them all raids prior to Garden?

Dthomp

It was my understanding that free to play came with things like Forges and Gambit Prime so I assumed those raids as well, my bad then. Does this mean buying Forsaken gives them all raids prior to Garden?

Yeah they get Forges and Prime, but only the Yr 1 raids and Yr 1 Exotic Questlines. Not the year 2 ones

Dthomp

How is everybody's leveling going? If any console (PS4) players are getting raid ready LMK, looking to start running GoS more often but need folks in the 920-930 range to run that one. Otherwise once I hit level I'll try to look out more for running some of the older stuff for catalysts and Raid exotics.

ultrazilla

This happened today with me as well. I had all the Dreaming City stuff done and Tangled Shore done and both open. Now they're back to needing to do the quest lines to get them both opened. No way I'm doing that again. WTF is going on? Is this a bug?

Dthomp

This happened today with me as well. I had all the Dreaming City stuff done and Tangled Shore done and both open. Now they're back to needing to do the quest lines to get them both opened. No way I'm doing that again. WTF is going on? Is this a bug?

I wonder if it has something to do with the FTP maybe resetting with the weekly reset. Not sure why else this would happen

Neolombax

Ah, so “hero” nightmare hunts drop today. I wonder if anything else of course.

Finally had a day off. Taking the few hours to start my hunter. The power grind on the second character is like effortless.

My Titan build has finally surpassed my last season’s pvp build in mobility, resilience and discipline. I had an 8/8/1 spread last time but this is far superior. My grenade recharge is under a min by default. I always have them with orb generation etc.

The build options do begin to show when you start uogradig and building it right.

At what light level do you think is a good point to start working towards builds?

Snack20

Neo Member
At what light level do you think is a good point to start working towards builds?
Personally I'm not going to worry about builds or armor until I get close to the hard cap at 950. That and keeping raid gear as well. You're constantly getting upgrades so continuously infusing armor seems way too costly. Mods would usually carry you well enough without having to worry about keeping specific gear

I'm not too sure about if this is the same as your situation, but I just realize that nothing is wrong on my end other than I'm an idiot... lol I keep thinking the Dreaming City stuff is going to be another location on the Tangled Shore map but turns out it's actually a map all of it's own next to Tangled Shore in the Director... so yeah, nothing is wrong and I'm now getting back on track /facepalm

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Thanks. Regarding point 3 no but the raid did mention 750 recommended power level and I could not choose anything else even tho I am at 890. It was the one on EDZ I think. I'm guessing if I own Forsaken that means I own all raids and content minus the shadowkeep stuff and some cosmetics right? Also are the raids manageable in 3 people? Do weapons/armors have perks that are only specific to one subclass or are they all made/dropped specifically just for your class in raids/etc. and you can just pick a subclass anytime you want without having to worry about those gear perks?

VertigoOA

Banned
You get a new quest from Eris about Van Tarlowe’s Mark after completing her weekly story mission this week.

You have to then do nightmare hunts and melee enemies in them to make progress so do the weekly before the nightmare hunts... as I to play them again as I messed up and did those first.

I’ve been infusing and not saving mats. I want to toy around with armor builds

Last edited:

Typhares

Am I capped at light level 900 unless I buy DLC?

No, you need to do activities that give out powerfull gear. Look on the map for the yellow icons next to a destination.
For example: all weekly challenges by the NPC in the tower like doing 8 bounties for strikes/gambit/crucible.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
936 pl as of last night

So you’re gonna want a pvp loadout completely. It’s time they give us saved loadouts.

The energy consumed by dreambane mods, finisher mods, elemental resistances, etc... is worth using instead on resilience or mobility mods.

Thru armor alone I got grenade recharge down to 51s. With the absolution perk on my mark that grows all meters on orb pick up, I can always spam my suppressor grenades.

The stats on my armor now exceed those and the functionality of the pvp armor loadout it took me all of this passed summer to spec out... in a week.

Put it to work and went on a 5-game streak in survival. Which I started to dig after the day one insanity. Finally played on one of the old maps...

Not sure if the higher tier artifact mods work in pvp. I just don’t know if they do yet, like the stagger function of unstoppable rounds and the weaken effects of disruption grenades. But I don’t see why you wouldn’t want to stack your pve build without them.

I’ll probably not have any energy in melee and spread mostly thru mobility, resilience and discipline for pvp. Not sure what element of Titan I will mostly main in pve. If it’s still middle tree sentinel like I use in pvp I may not change it much at all. Arc and solar Titan tho? I’ll move then numbers from grenade to melee however.

I’ve grinded out like 20 of the optative handcanon in Vex Invasions. Still haven’t gotten a roll as good as my very first. Looking for Rifled barrel (if it’s an option), accurized rounds with rapid hit and kill clip. I’ve got rapid hit and kill clip with a range masterwork but I need them all to line up to see if it’s usable in comp (on console). It is however incredible in pve content.

Barrier rounds work better on slower handcanons like 110 rpms over 180s for sure. Overload rounds seem to work best on auto rifles over handcanons altho perhaps they’ll work well on a 180 because the faster fire rates seem to make overload work better generally.

Last edited:
Thanks. Regarding point 3 no but the raid did mention 750 recommended power level and I could not choose anything else even tho I am at 890. It was the one on EDZ I think. I'm guessing if I own Forsaken that means I own all raids and content minus the shadowkeep stuff and some cosmetics right? Also are the raids manageable in 3 people? Do weapons/armors have perks that are only specific to one subclass or are they all made/dropped specifically just for your class in raids/etc. and you can just pick a subclass anytime you want without having to worry about those gear perks?

The raid will still be hard at recc 750 because it's only possible to be 30 power levels higher than a raid. There is prestige raids, too, though but you may not be able to pick that until you've done regular at least once? If you own Forsaken, yes, you should have everything except the Shadowkeep raid. No, they aren't manageable with 3 people, you need to be a damn expert to do that. You're not going to get warlock armor if you're on a hunter, as far as perks go since all armor is custom tailored to the class you're on they will be more likely to be good perks for your class, but this is most noticeable on exotic armor. You can switch your sub-class willy nilly for sure but if you're say wearing a helmet that makes your golden gun more powerful switching to arc strider means that helmet does a hell of a lot less for you.

is there anyway to reset my character's look? and also, is there any benefit for using finisher moves? other than instantly killing a thing that is.

PhoenixTank

is there anyway to reset my character's look? and also, is there any benefit for using finisher moves? other than instantly killing a thing that is.
No character editor after the initial creation AFAIK. Set your fugly char to wear a helmet all the time as a compromise? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There are some mods that make finishers do a bit more for you at the cost of super charge, and there are also bounties related to them. Not much else aside from using them as a powerful melee.

Ivory Blood

No you can't change your looks, sadly. As for the second question, you can put mods on armor that give some benefits to finishers, like restoring health and the like.

edit: beaten like Cabal at the Last City.

Last edited:
I'm reading Forsaken might be worth it for the campaign addition alone. Is that true? Forsaken + Shadowkeep + next season as well?

No character editor after the initial creation AFAIK. Set your fugly char to wear a helmet all the time as a compromise? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There are some mods that make finishers do a bit more for you at the cost of super charge, and there are also bounties related to them. Not much else aside from using them as a powerful melee.
No you can't change your looks, sadly. As for the second question, you can put mods on armor that give some benefits to finishers, like restoring health and the like.

edit: beaten like Cabal at the Last City.

much appreciated for the answers. shame they don't have something like MHW for u to re-do your look, but oh well, helmet on all the time for my Titian I guess XD might look into those finisher mods thou. gives back health and stuff would be useful at least.

Top Bottom