• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep (OT4) Free Stuff For Everybody!

MastAndo

My Awoken Warlock ended up looking like a young blue Michael Jordan in Destiny 2. Not the worst thing, but not intended so it's helmet always on for me, just like in real life.

This quest/bounty limit can kick rocks, by the way. There are a million vendors and quests that you can't even trash - 63 is too few.

PhoenixTank

I'm reading Forsaken might be worth it for the campaign addition alone. Is that true? Forsaken + Shadowkeep + next season as well?
Forsaken is still my favourite campaign, I think, pending full completion of Shadowkeep. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a sale on Forsaken in a while, but depends on how hungry you are for more story after the first year stuff?

much appreciated for the answers. shame they don't have something like MHW for u to re-do your look, but oh well, helmet on all the time for my Titian I guess XD might look into those finisher mods thou. gives back health and stuff would be useful at least.
To be fair, now that there is just one mission for new characters before they can jump in and no "your guardian must be at least this level to ride this attraction equip this gear", it might be less of an issue to move all your gear to the vault and then delete that guardian and recreate and move the gear back. Not tried, so at your own risk. I forget what happens to pending bounties and quests too.

Bigrx1

Banned
I've never really played an fps looter game, how much does gear affect things since it seems from an outsider's viewpoint that this type of game relies on skill a lot more? Like does loot increases matter if you can't aim as good as the next guy? Do the numbers of damage change much with gear changes to make it seem worthwhile?

TexMex

I've never really played an fps looter game, how much does gear affect things since it seems from an outsider's viewpoint that this type of game relies on skill a lot more? Like does loot increases matter if you can't aim as good as the next guy? Do the numbers of damage change much with gear changes to make it seem worthwhile?

Honestly in most situations, loot matters more than things like "aiming as good as the next guy." You could have 100% accuracy, but you won't get through areas or finish the raid if your equipment level isn't high enough. And average skill can absolutely be overcome with top tier loot.

Bigrx1

Banned
Honestly in most situations, loot matters more than things like "aiming as good as the next guy." You could have 100% accuracy, but you won't get through areas or finish the raid if your equipment level isn't high enough. And average skill can absolutely be overcome with top tier loot.

I see, well I likely will suck but may as well give it a try if my poor skill can be overcome lol

been playing Crucible for some exotic quests (Ace and Last Word) and I simply can't get kills... I don't remember I was this bad on PS4, but then again I guess the aim assist on console helps...

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I like the environments in this game, how you can go through a gap/tunnel in cliff etc and end up in a amazing level and lighting can look great at times. This plays a big part in me playing this game. Takes me back to when i used to do LSD as a kid i'd see environments like this :messenger_grinning_smiling:

VertigoOA

Banned
You can see construction for the Vex Gate being built behind Ikora in the tower. Construction will be ongoing until the launch of the final Vex offensive on the 29th.

29th should be the next big day with the dungeon and Vex offensive. And who knows what they will do with Halloween this year... hoping the nightmare forest returns as that version specifically was the best version of the infinite forest and its procedural generation gimmick.

VertigoOA

Banned
I like the environments in this game, how you can go through a gap/tunnel in cliff etc and end up in a amazing level and lighting can look great at times. This plays a big part in me playing this game. Takes me back to when i used to do LSD as a kid i'd see environments like this :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Best environments are in the raids of course. Altho the Dreamcity City is quite the looker Itself. But the coolest locales are the raid set pieces. I forget how great the art direction is sometimes and then I play a raid to remind myself of some stellar shit. Bungie’s art direction is solid. It’s old school with simple designs and visual cues but it’s all use effectively. European Dead Zone is ugly tho... needs some better texture work

It is unfortunate that the best designed content in the game aren’t seen by 90% of the playerbase.

Last edited:

Typhares

You can see construction for the Vex Gate being built behind Ikora in the tower. Construction will be ongoing until the launch of the final Vex offensive on the 29th.

29th should be the next big day with the dungeon and Vex offensive. And who knows what they will do with Halloween this year... hoping the nightmare forest returns as that version specifically was the best version of the infinite forest and its procedural generation gimmick.

What is a dungeon? I thought strikes were the equivalent of dungeons in Destiny.

VertigoOA

Banned
What is a dungeon? I thought strikes were the equivalent of dungeons in Destiny.

Not at all.

Dungeons are much larger and challenging. They’re more like 3-man raids. Matchmaking disabled. You need a team as the mechanics needed can be complex enough to require the right team and builds.

There’s only 1 proper dungeon currently, which is the Shattered Throne. The next one is on the 29th. Should be awesome.

The idea for dungeons started with the Whisper of the WorM quest, which is pretty much also a dungeon with light raid mechanics, Mazes... but that has a 20 min timer... as does the next quest like it, Zero Hour, for outbreak prime.

In other words, there will be 4 in total by the end of the month... They’re easily some of the best content in the game. Cool set pieces and large environments too.

When the Whisper of the Worm quest quietly was discovered one random night it was the turning point where Destiny 2 actually started to feel lik it could be a worthy successor to the first game. It was a truly unique experience for sure

Zero hour was awesome too. Going thru he wreckage of he old tower.. and Trevor. Please meet Trevor. He’s a good friend :messenger_smiling_horns:

Last edited:

Typhares

Not at all.

Dungeons are much larger and challenging. They’re more like 3-man raids. Matchmaking disabled. You need a team as the mechanics needed can be complex enough to require the right team and builds.

There’s only 1 proper dungeon currently, which is the Shattered Throne. The next one is on the 29th. Should be awesome.

The idea for dungeons started with the Whisper of the WorM quest, which is pretty much also a dungeon with light raid mechanics, Mazes... but that has a 20 min timer... as does the next quest like it, Zero Hour, for outbreak prime.

In other words, there will be 4 in total by the end of the month... They’re easily some of the best content in the game. Cool set pieces and large environments too.

When the Whisper of the Worm quest quietly was discovered one random night it was the turning point where Destiny 2 actually started to feel lik it could be a worthy successor to the first game. It was a truly unique experience for sure

Zero hour was awesome too. Going thru he wreckage of he old tower.. and Trevor. Please meet Trevor. He’s a good friend :messenger_smiling_horns:

I see thanks, I wasn't aware of Dungeons.
I am still a bit ocnfused with everything to be honest.
Like what are Nightfall strike exactly compared to strike. You can crank up the difficulty but is it also different content?
Like strike > Nightfall Strike > Dungeon > Raid?

VertigoOA

Banned
I see thanks, I wasn't aware of Dungeons.
I am still a bit ocnfused with everything to be honest.
Like what are Nightfall strike exactly compared to strike. You can crank up the difficulty but is it also different content?
Like strike > Nightfall Strike > Dungeon > Raid?

Dungeons and raids are unrelated to strikes.

Nightfall’s have difficulty levels. Increasing difficulty does more than scale power but also applies unique modifiers, elemental burns, etc... and in the case of shadowkeep, nightfall: the ordeal adds unique challenging enemies to every strike on more challenging difficulties in addition to modifiers.

Now why bother to do the harder nightfalls? You want the material rewards. Not just armor and weapons.

There’s a lot of systems. They’re not overly complex tho. Just take your time learning one activity to the next.

If you want a soft raid experience... play the menagerie. It’s located next to leviathan on Nessus from the director.

Last edited:

Typhares

Dungeons and raids are unrelated to strikes.

Nightfall’s have difficulty levels. Increasing difficulty does more than scale power but also applies unique modifiers, elemental burns, etc... and in the case of shadowkeep, nightfall: the ordeal adds unique challenging enemies to every strike on more challenging difficulties in addition to modifiers.

Now why bother to do the harder nightfalls? You want the material rewards. Not just armor and weapons.

There’s a lot of systems. They’re not overly complex tho. Just take your time learning one activity to the next.

If you want a soft raid experience... play the menagerie. It’s located next to leviathan on Nessus from the director.

Thanks, I know Bungie is getting to it but the new player experience is a mess. You get bombarded with all those things you can do without any guidance.

TheContact

So I bought D2 when it came out, had a lot of fun leveling up and when I hit max level, got extremely bored of it. Has the game gotten any better? If so, how many expansion packs do I need to buy in order to get up to speed?

PhoenixTank

So I bought D2 when it came out, had a lot of fun leveling up and when I hit max level, got extremely bored of it. Has the game gotten any better? If so, how many expansion packs do I need to buy in order to get up to speed?
I was in pretty much the same situation as you until Forsaken came out. You just need Shadowkeep for the latest stuff, but you won't get access to Forsaken's story content. I'd hop back in and try some of the new (to you) free stuff before buying. You'll have Osiris and Warmind campaigns if you're there for story.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Thanks, I know Bungie is getting to it but the new player experience is a mess. You get bombarded with all those things you can do without any guidance.

... some of those activities could not be available or you’re not geared up for it to begin with. And ALL of them were secrets... whisper just came out of nowhere where you had to wait for a specific public event, and for a boss to appear on the overworld... for it to open up a portal to the quest. And it was hard as fuck, and you were timed, and if you failed you had to wait for that public event... and that was rng-based Itself... so you’d wait for like 8 hours for it show up again (I waited 3 hours for that second attempt...) and then! It only happened on weekends!! Btw... you essentially needed to perfect the run and puzzles to get it under 20 mins. Good times...

Zero hour requires having played a heroic adventure in vanilla and leave a fallen named Mithrax alive in the quest, who then opens up the quest to you. Well it did... this may have changed now. I don’t know myself.

Shattered throne used to be on a 3-week rotation and is hidden in the depths of the dreaming city. Now you can launch it from the director and play it anytime. However... you may still need to find them all the traditional way before it’s available from orbit.

They were once all hidden... they were never in your face. They’ve added all of them to the director so casuals can take notice with this latest dlc launch. Which is good regardless because some of the better content shouldn’t be too hidden away.

PS - Apparently the stat rolls on the year 1 raids are exceptional and have a higher total number spread. I’m gonna see how the menegerie armor stacks up over the weekend. I got my grenade recharge at 51 secs. Pretty nuts being able to do that without a mod.

Nightmare hunts on 920 are extremely farmable for mods and lengexaties. Also... the harder ones rotate and drop new essences for new Eris weapons... this week includes a shotgun and fusion rifle.

The Eris Sniper is pretty crispy. I dig it

PPS - Vex Invasion armor cannot be infused for “free” with vex invasajkn armor from the battle pass. Only with vex offensive armor from world drops. Why? Well... there’s some battle pass perks that say shit like “all season pass leg armor energy increased by 1.” So you get free armor energy on the ones from the battle pass. However, the world drop ones are indeed better. The ones from the pass tend to focus in one area of stat.

Last edited:
completely agree on hidden stuff. even thou I don't actively hunt for these sorta things, it's always fun to watch the community come together and solve them. just finished the Ace of Spades quest and got the gun, still need to work on the Last Word quest. a side note, the Polaris Lance exotic Scout Rifle is really clicking with me. a great gun for PvE stuff, especially for a scout main like me. great for clearing loads of trash mobs now after I unlocked the catalyst too.

Vtecomega

Banned
Yo, Destiny 2 has come a long way. The gunplay has been enhanced compared to the last time I played it. Also, it looks insane on the xbox x compared to the pro version I had. What a difference!

Dynasty8

True, but ask any questions here. The community for this game is fucking awesome. VertigoOA is proof of that. The guy is a beast.

Dibbs

Looking at all the things, exotics, items etc to achieve in this game nowadays I feel like I have to take at least 3 weeks off work and kids :messenger_grinning_sweat:. Im light 911 something, 35 hours in, finished the Shadowkeep campaign and I feel like I’ve barely just begun...

Repo Man

So is this game still worth downloading?

Depends what you're after. If you like a shooter with a story and RPG elements then go for it unless you're on a heavily capped broadband. Just be aware that the new version kinda just dumps you in to the game after a brief tutorial which can be initially a little overwhelming.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Didn’t care at all for the campaign since it was mostly rehashed from D1 but everything around the edges are as fun as ever. The vex thing drops enough loot it actually fun to see what you get every run. Very enjoyable experience but man the campaign is such a back step after forsaken If you played D1.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Anyone for a nightfall tonight? I haven't done it this week (or in about 6 months actually) and want to try it again.

Any takers?

Also, do we have a discord?

s34ab

Banned
How do you unlock additional ships as a f2p account? I used to play Destiny 1, and you could get them from end of match/strike rewards. Is that still a thing? Or are they locked behind a paywall? Or maybe a mixture, end of match/strike rewards for non f2p accounts?

manfestival

been playing Crucible for some exotic quests (Ace and Last Word) and I simply can't get kills... I don't remember I was this bad on PS4, but then again I guess the aim assist on console helps...
Oh man the memories. I remember when I first hopped into Crucible and I was getting wrecked left and right. I don't know what took longer for me to get over, this or Battlefront 2. Anyways, it takes adjusting to. I am sure you are used to the controls on console. Also try using meta guns to help you in the mean time imo. I think they help compensate for some of that. I was trash till I started using pulse rifles.

I am glad they nerfed supers as much. I can aim in FPS but super manipulation was beyond me(I admit that I was lazy is not wanting to learn it just to become meta).

Coconutt

How do you unlock additional ships as a f2p account? I used to play Destiny 1, and you could get them from end of match/strike rewards. Is that still a thing? Or are they locked behind a paywall? Or maybe a mixture, end of match/strike rewards for non f2p accounts?

I believe ships can only be obtained by either eververse engrams and some quests/triumphs unlock them I believe. They usually release a ship for special events so Halloween event should have one. Can't remember the last time I got a ship from strikes or crucible, don't think they drop from there anymore.

TheContact

I transferred my data from bnet over to Steam last night and started the install but didn't have a chance to play it yet. I just got my Logitech g903 mouse in as well so I'm excited to see how it holds up in an FPS

I complained about this in year 1, that Leviathan doesn't have its own ship you can earn. They started adding more ways to get ships and sparrows, like Escalation Protocol has a ship and a sparrow but MOSTLY it's Eververse stuff, which you should never feel compelled to shell out real cash for, you can accumulate bright dust over time by playing the game and completing bounties and will be able to afford a ship without real cash eventually. I think the only other way is your Seasonal upgrades but I'm not sure if the best ones are all for people who own Shadowkeep without checking.

BTW, friend got me Shadowkeep last night so we could play that shit together. Did the Nightfall the second I got it and wow, that is one cool strike, the level theme, look and music are all aces. Boss feels a little too much like Nokris, though. Haven't touched any other Shadowkeep content yet but I'm 912 light level on my Hunter from what I've played up to getting Shadowkeep last night. I've also gotten my Warlock and Titan over 900... anyone who wants an easy way to hit 900, if you have an abundance of legendary shards the trick is to go to Spider, see what he's selling for legendary shards... spend them ALL then go to the planet they're associated with and open packages until you're 900.

PhoenixTank

Anyone for a nightfall tonight? I haven't done it this week (or in about 6 months actually) and want to try it again.

Any takers?

Also, do we have a discord?
PM OP for the discord, or if you're in the clan it'll be in the web/app chat history.

I believe ships can only be obtained by either eververse engrams and some quests/triumphs unlock them I believe. They usually release a ship for special events so Halloween event should have one. Can't remember the last time I got a ship from strikes or crucible, don't think they drop from there anymore.
Bright dust too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom