• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Shadowkeep (OT4) Free Stuff For Everybody!

VertigoOA

Banned
Having a bit more fun than usual because I can equip warmind and charged by light mods on exotics and my new build is awesome! Most powerful pve build I’ve ever used.

So far it seems of high quality. Soundtrack is exceptional and the combat encounters have been pretty fun. Then again I always play pretty underleveled but it’s fun that way. The mechs are cool. The new vex things are cool. Enough new things at first glance to be entertained.

Europa seems large. Good amount of voice acting.

Quick impressions says it’s significantly better than shadowkeep and it still feels I’ve only scratched the surface 4 hours in.

Last edited:
got some other stuff to do and didn't get around to playing it til just now. just rescued Variks and starting the main quest. probably won't do much with the story til later.

on a side note, tried that whole getting your exotic engram from last season thing. ended up getting a bunch of armor exotics that I already have. didn't get any new exotics at all. guess Bungie "fixed" that loophole. :messenger_unamused:

also, not sure how long this will last before getting patched, but if you just keep farming Widow's Walk lost sector in EDZ, you can get up in power level pretty fast. since the boss inside seems to drop a purple every time you kill him right now. get it while it lasts.

Dthomp

also, not sure how long this will last before getting patched, but if you just keep farming Widow's Walk lost sector in EDZ, you can get up in power level pretty fast. since the boss inside seems to drop a purple every time you kill him right now. get it while it lasts.

Not a bad idea, I just hit the point where my drops are all 1200, but maybe useful on alts, didn't seem like there lack of blues to level up quickly

Dthomp

Also worth noting, Variks quests that reward armor cap at 1200 so no reason not to do them right away when you get them

tommycronin

Banned
My Xbox Series S won't run HDR at all for some reason. I know the next gen patch is for December but no way is there no HDR until then aswell. Anyone else having this issue?

Dthomp

Not sure about Xbox, I don't run HDR on my PS4 Pro cause it looks like crap. I'm not sure they ever patched HDR properly in D2. Could be a different story for Xbox/PC but everybody I know on PS4 side have the same issue, dark as shit, can't see anything in caves/Lost sectors

VertigoOA

Banned
Was initially underwhelmed by Titan super at first. However... pull back on left joystick while doing the melee attack on boss to effectively do quick pounds. Otherwise you overshoot and lose tracking.

Woah, guess I better get on that. Still valid today?

it still works since I just get myself from 1150 to 1200 in all slots about 30 minutes ago. took me about a little over an hour since I'm kinda working while doing this. I imagine they'll probably patch it up next reset thou.

now I just need to finish the main story stuff after I get off work... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
it still works since I just get myself from 1150 to 1200 in all slots about 30 minutes ago. took me about a little over an hour since I'm kinda working while doing this. I imagine they'll probably patch it up next reset thou.

now I just need to finish the main story stuff after I get off work... :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Logging on now, hope it works still on ps4

Dibbs

:D

Yeah works for me too this just moment. Leveled up my old, unused Titan to 1200.

VertigoOA

Banned
Complete the campaign. Opens up a bit afterwards of course. There’s still more activities and events opening up. Honeslty not sure what to expect from this at all.

VertigoOA

Banned
Any big surprises ala the dreaming city?

I doubt it. But more activities and spaces open up, aside from those we’re still gated from on the roadmap it seems. Just had a boss fight bigger than the end of campaign one and narratives are still being told...

I haven’t gone into spoiler territory online with this yet. Seeing everything first hand blindly. And thoroughly enjoying it.

It feels far more quality of a product than shadowkeep did. I don’t know how I feel about it yet truthfully...

the vibe of the game actually feels a bit different... strange experience.

I

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Like I unlocked earlier today something for Variks that’s like the Prismatic Recaster leveling system from the previous season.... I don’t even know what that’s for!

About to do my first Empire Hunt.

It’s not whether this expansion is good... it’s whether it has what it takes to be in contention as one of the best. Only time will tell. The raid, the seasonal rollout ... and we also have the season pass content that hasn’t dropped yet. There’s going to be a lot of content

Edit: I no longer think I’ve completed the campaign... I’m either in some meta campaign or they’ve found a way to blur it all together now.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Any big surprises ala the dreaming city?

Nothing yet, probably won't come for a few weeks or after Raid would be my guess. I've gone through alot of the post game content and it still seems pointless to me to have Eris and Drifter in here as they have done NOTHING for the story. More season pass stupid content over time to wait for story wise

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Did the first 2 chapters so far. Pretty fun. The area is freaking huge. That place at the end of 2 was clearly important in some fashion... Just not sure what yet.

Dthomp

Liked the story enough, Variks is a great character and I feel like they finally went back to having a little bit of fun with the writing and dialogue of the characters, minus Zavala cause he sucks and always will.

I'm over the whole Seraph Bunker/Decoder stuff for these NPCs. Just let me do bounties for XP and every level I get something from them. This whole do a bunch of crap is just grind that nobody enjoys.

NTTE is fine, just as useless as it was in D1, really enjoyed the mission for the Salvations Grip, although the gun feel kind of lacking. I suppose it's just a way to have freezing ability on your other subclasses.

Stasis was fine for a bit (only tried Warlock) but I can't see this replacing Voidwalker or Daybreak for me personally.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Finished the story and some of the after story stuff. While its better then shadow keep dunno if destiny will ever get back to forsaken level again.

Don’t care for the new subclass lore and play wise (I don’t want to give into the darkness yet I have no choice). Lack of new gear is insane, Reddit says they removed 75% of the weapons and replaced them with less then 5% of new weapons. 90% of the stuff I got was old stuff with like 3 new drops in my entire play time.

Dunno if I have it in me to keep at it, just got quest for new grenade and frost bolts or something and I just can’t. Take out all the gear and replace it with a quest for a grenades? The thing that I got 3 of on my other classes from the start...

Just gonna play Valhalla, can’t even recommend my brother waste his time finishing the avg at best store (I swear they skipped 2 bosses, they were in the cutscenes).

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Where to reacquire Drang?

Just got the stasis grenade launcher. I guess now is chasing for aspects etc for your subclass modifications.

Dthomp

Finished the story and some of the after story stuff. While its better then shadow keep dunno if destiny will ever get back to forsaken level again.

Don’t care for the new subclass lore and play wise (I don’t want to give into the darkness yet I have no choice). Lack of new gear is insane, Reddit says they removed 75% of the weapons and replaced them with less then 5% of new weapons. 90% of the stuff I got was old stuff with like 3 new drops in my entire play time.

Dunno if I have it in me to keep at it, just got quest for new grenade and frost bolts or something and I just can’t. Take out all the gear and replace it with a quest for a grenades? The thing that I got 3 of on my other classes from the start...

Just gonna play Valhalla, can’t even recommend my brother waste his time finishing the avg at best store (I swear they skipped 2 bosses, they were in the cutscenes).

This is my issue with the way Bungie handles DLCs and Seasons in D2. I play a shooter for wait for it.....GUNS, LOOT. I'm actually fine with sunsetting. I wish they'd have just gone full bore and did Taken King style and leave it all behind for crucible play and make new stuff and reintroduce favorites. I don't need a million boring quests that just take me to more boring Lost Sectors and NPCs that need to be leveled up. All i need is loot to chase. Doing a quest and knowing what you get isn't overly fun as finding an engram seeing something new.

IMO, Vendor refreshes need to happen EVERY SEASON. 1 of each gun type for each vendor (I would remove the planetary vendors to ease this). Vanguard gets it own guns and armor, Crucible and Gambit maybe share a set of guns and armor to ease Bungie, Vanguard Quartermaster return with weapons, same with Crucible quartermaster. Have a set of new world drops that last a year before being replaced, and reintroduce the factions with their own guns/armor every other season. IB goes back to the D1 days where each month features a couple guns and armors with some for sale from Saladin and new guns/gear each year. Strike playlist should have a drop unique to each strike with a lowish drop rate, no skeleton keys, and a higher chance to get it in Nightfalls.

For me, new weapons is 1000 times more exciting then a event that happens on each planet that is empty two weeks in.

I'd also change the way we get exotics, I miss getting engrams each new season, enough of these quests and free xp path exotics. Let me earn them from NF, PVP, or Raids not doing a boring questline.

Also, bring back end of match results with rewards there please.

I'm worried that these new classes are going to make PVP completely unfun with the slowing and stuff, along with the fact that Bungo seems more interested in mods then making good armor perks to want in the game, but I'm sure I'm the minority who doesn't like the mod system, make this a real looter and make me have to get it in the wild.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I was afraid sun setting would really hurt the game for me and it really did. Looking at light.gg at the handfull of weapon just leaves me scratching my head. There are more weapon for trials and iron banner then in world.

I used to spend hours in strikes trying to get a good strike loot roll in D1, the menagerie in last season of forsaken re captured that. A bunch of sweet weapon and u could work to get what u wanted. Now we got 8 weapons (another 5 from the season pass), just feels so lame.

Why “new“ old weapons dropping keep there old power lvl limitations is also crazy. I just got this weapon and it will be worthless in a few months.

VertigoOA

Banned
Titan slide aspect is incredible in pvp. Only one unlocked so far but it’s just amazing for movement. I might main this...

New loot weapons drop in the wild for playlists. Got a new shotty and pulse not the Europa ones.

Every Europa weapon I’ve gotten has had new unique perks too.

Last edited:
finished the main champaign. story feels kinda meh, but at least we get to see a little more into the Fallen culture and what not. I enjoyed it for the most part. No Time To Explain is pretty fun so far. the time port shoots seems to be pretty good as far as I can tell. had not really gotten any new weapons yet outside of the 3 Europa weapons I got from doing the main champaign. both the shorty and the pulse, as well as the rocket launcher I got only has old perks (and kinda suck ones at that), so still have to wait for when I can get my hands on the new perk ones to see if they're good or not.

Europa is a pretty nice area overall after some exploring. already got all the regional chests and got a penguin doll thing that I guess we can place in that base where Variks is. I did manage to do a sort of secret puzzle while exploring. it's this one right here

nothing too crazy from the reward. just a purple. but it's a fun little extra to do.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m at about 90% with No Time to Explain catalyst.

After last season’s mad dash to get all catalysts and complete them... there’s no way I’m leaving them outstanding anymore. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being meta for the raid or something so might as well get it ready.

My build is incredible. My armor is fully masterworked and I’ve been burning cores infusing my armor instead of using blues. I don’t care about burning the mats... I plow thru low level and use my best build.

Basically. I get charge with light with kills and assists using Charge Harvester mod, the powerful friends mod for increased mobility and to give others charged by light buff. Charged by light lets me do damage with the general charged by light attack mod or Surprise Attack if using sidearms. On top of that, because exotics can now equip mods, I use the warminds wrath mod on One Eyed Mask Which spawns warmind cells that increased your attack damage even further to those enemies in its area of effect field. When you’re using warmind weapons like I am across all three weapon slots... I’ve become a war machine and the most powerful I’ve ever been in this game. It fucking works!

Mithos

What happened?

My Power Level was 1145+ yesterday, and now its 1012.

Currently Equipped stuff
Wep 1161, 1158, 1146
Arm: 1160, 1160, 1154, 1148, 1152

They took witherhoard out for some reason...
OH!!!!

So that's why...
Hope they fix can the bug fast, and put it back asap.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Beat the boss last night, wasn't too bad. The first story boss was harder in my mind. Parts of the story seemed kind of out of no where.

Looking forward to playing more tonight and this weekend.

Could be a bug on just the PC version, god damn inferior version ruining the game for us OGs
Too true!

Campaign was ok. I'm not a big fan of the stasis subclasses. I don't like the freezing. Both in pve and pvp.
The lack of new weapons is worrisome. Bungie could've just reskinned and renamed old weapon models. What happened to the foundries? So many cool hakke, suros, omolon weapons models.

Dthomp

Campaign was ok. I'm not a big fan of the stasis subclasses. I don't like the freezing. Both in pve and pvp.
The lack of new weapons is worrisome. Bungie could've just reskinned and renamed old weapon models. What happened to the foundries? So many cool hakke, suros, omolon weapons models.

I actually liked the campaign, but I think the campaign experience widely varies on if you like the characters. I think the Exo-Stranger is one of the most interesting characters in the game, and the writing and voice acting for her are top tier in this game. Variks is another favorite of mine, but saving him 2 minutes in just so he can be a babbling NPC is a little sad.

Like I said above, weapons need to be addressed this year in a big way. There are plenty of shitty year 1 and 2 guns they could bring back, and we have an entire game of guns from D1 that you could filter back through vendors and world drops with some new perks and maybe some returning ones. I avoided IB most of the last year and a half cause I just don't care for any of the weapons and I never missed a D1 banner. Bring back Finalas Peril, Nerwins Mercy, etc. Hawksaw, Hung Jury, this list goes on and on. I'd add in an extra 30-40% of guns each new season from D1 to help this sad loot pool. I'm so sick of seeing the same trash I was sick of a year ago. What makes it even worse is the current perk pool for guns is beyond awful, and they are leaning way to hard on abilities and supers in a shooter which brings me to Stasis.

I hate it....kind of. I get that it's kind of fun to mess around with and I just unlocked the ice tracker for killing a frozen enemy and the slow/freeze bubble grenade for Warlock and it seems WAY to strong. I haven't gone into PVP yet, but my guess is it's a shitshow. That statis grenade is WAY to large, and is going to force a campy as shit meta since if you get frozen you are dead and Warlock and Hunter both having punch ones that track are just gross. I think when it settles down, maybe the best build will be the Stasis GL along with an actual damage dealing super. I was having some good luck in PVE freezing and Nova Bombing bosses into oblivion.

These will be the next list of things people bitch about, because these classes will be nerfed, and likely hard.

VertigoOA

Banned
It looks native 4K on PS5. There seems to be some improvements and that may just be the Ps5 hardware just making best of the PS4 build.

Anyway... Next to the Stranger is a Yellow radio.... communications and dialogue come thru from various characters ... listen. Easter eggs maybe?

Im really enjoying Stasis Titan in pvp. It’s growing on me... needed pvp to teach me proper how to use it.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
A lot of narrative in this comparatively to others. It keeps going even with each sub class quest with the exo stranger ... it’s dialogue and world building mostly but it’s nice to see.

Also, new machine gun from Variks... he has weapon quest and rank up system For his stuff. They cap off in boss battles.

Looks like everything they learned about keeping us grinding over the last year in one expansion... I don’t mind Since it feels like I’m just getting started.

Edit: Threw that new ice vortex grenade. It caught like 3 dregs and a captain. It froze all of them. Went into the air and the Titan melee zoned into the captain and hit em... whole group went boom.

I found my rhythm with this subclass and where I thought it was straight up trash when I first touched it... I love it now. It changes the pacing the game and I kinda even dig it in pvp and that’s my favorite destiny in destiny.

It might kinda blow that subclass progression and Unlocks are tied behind a grind, and a weekly one at that, but the more the end game shows if teeth, the more I’m liking this expansion.

It competes with Forsaken at this moment in time Launches aligned sotospeak. A lot will ride on the raid. If there’s a dungeon ... and of the season pass content is quality (which I’m hoping it will be since is staying).

Last edited:
still had not had a chance to play today, but heard that they had patched up that easy loot drop from Wanted bosses in Lost Sector. RIP if you had not taken advantage of it yet. but to be honest, just grinding strikes usually would get you to the soft cap pretty fast anyway, so I'm not worry about my alts.

also, there you go. Hawkmoon in action.

So, how is it folks? Worth the buy?

Big Destiny fan here

Almost finished the storyline with the hunter, and at its half with the titan

I heard it gets better after endgame, but so far i'm not liking this expansion much

Feels like a cheaper, smaller forsaken, Europa is tremendously anonymous ( ice, ice and ice, and not much else ) and Cosmodrome is...Cosmodrome, nothing really new so far
Stasis is nice, I know will be much more interesting after completing the main quest, being frozen is...Ugh, I suppose we'll need time to get used to this lol
Oh, and: Bungie, could you please make a bigger effort in enemy variety?
Aside from two units, it's always, Race A, B, C, Race A variant, Race b variant and so on

I suppose the " next" enemies will be stasis - powered cabal and vex, then maybe hive
I was crazy hyped to discover this long rumored darkness, but...

Sigh.
The true darkness could be revealed in the next dlc parts tho, right?

I'm only liking the story so far, short but good, but the rest is pretty meh, in my opinion

6/10 so far, I'd have preferred a true Destiny 3

Last edited:
Top Bottom