• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 unveil event will have PC and PS4 versions, allow lots of YouTuber gameplay

Midas

Scorpio or pro versions cannot be different frame rate from base machines . They don't have different servers .

I think people crying about console not being at 60 underestimate the Dev team . This game is not going to be huge either , it's activision . And it's like 80 gbs , 60 is a good shout

I've read that BF1 have different fram rates on PS4 and PS4 Pro, I might remember that wrong though. However, in 19 days we will probably know what is improved for the PS4 Pro version and what the Pro does will most likely be upped by Scorpio.

Is there any word on matchmaking for raids?

I want to purchase the collectors edition but not sure I should bother as I played the majority of the first game solo.

BigEmil

I've read that BF1 have different fram rates on PS4 and PS4 Pro, I might remember that wrong though. However, in 19 days we will probably know what is improved for the PS4 Pro version and what the Pro does will most likely be upped by Scorpio.
No it's just both run at unlocked framerate both try to stay in 60fps but drops abit mainly in Conquest mode, while Pro holds on more.
While Battlefront is stable 60fps even on standard PS4, same large map 64 player multiplayer etc. Battlefield 1 was partnered with MS so i guess XB1 was the lead platform for that one and has slightly more stable framerate there too, while Battlefront was partnered with Sony so the PS4 was lead platform development for that one

It all depends on devs prioritisation on optimising between performance and visuals and working harder on specific platforms

I don't think comparing Destiny to competitive shooters is actually the right angle.

It's not like 80%+ of the audience is buying this game to maybe play a few hours of the campaign and then play 50-100+ hours of Crucible. The biggest selling point is the co-op MMO part, which puts it more in line with the audience buying 30 FPS open world games like Ghost Recon or The Division, or even people playing GTA Online.

The scale, scope, and interactivity of PvE is going to be seen as more critical than framerate.
True

Midas

No it's just both run at unlocked framerate both try to stay in 60fps but drops abit mainly in Conquest mode, while Pro holds on more.
While Battlefront is stable 60fps even on original PS4. Battlefield 1 was marketed with MS so i guess XB1 was the lead platform for that one and has slightly more stable framerate

Ah, okay. I remembered it in a different way. Thanks for the correction.

Dedicated Servers right..... doubt it.

I've said this before it's great that it's gonna be on PC but it'll be the first platform to go dead PC gamers move on quickly. I have a fully capable PC and a PRO and Xbox One and will have a Scorpio.
And i won't give them money for the PS4 version this time the exclusives aren't worth me playing a fantastic shooter on a terrible controller and PS4 has always had more red bars and connection issues compared to playing on Xbox.

I've played Destiny 1 on Both systems since day one i hung up the PS4 version recently tired of my R2's breaking. More friends on Xbox anyway. All my opinion and preferences of course.

The community will die pretty hard and fast if it doesn't have dedicated servers. Also, if you forego dedicated servers in general, you'll have the shitty lag issues and very low tick rate that the first one had, and it was one of the things that drove me away from the MP. I remember when the people with the most amount of lag could own an entire team because of the stupid compensation bullshit Bungie implemented. P2P on PC in 2017 is basically a death sentence for a game like this, especially for one as large as this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I get what you're saying, but look at the Gjallarhorn and Khvostov quests for example, they're way to simple. I'm probably in the minority but I want the exotics to be hard to get, the best approach so far is the Black Spindle quest, a hidden mission which was actually challenging. It's one of the few times after vanilla Destiny where an exotic actually feels special as well.

Yeah, Black Spindle is super cool. I would love more like that one.

Can someone please explain where the thought process of console manufacturer co marketing deal = "Lead platform" or "Game will be gimped on other platforms" comes from? I just don't understand the angle.

You only need to look at past releases to see this thinking isn't true i.e look at Ubisoft AC, WD both had co marketing with Sony yet weren't gimped in fact both were also had marketing deals with Nvidia. Like what genuine example/s is there of a game being gimped specifically because of a marketing deal and not dev choice in how they want to target platforms.

I don't think anyone is arguing that features will be gimped on other platforms because of the marketing deal. Usually the version with the marketing deal winds up being the lead platform simply because that's the one that's shown off at press events and in marketing the most.

All people are speculating at here is that it seems odd that they would show off the PC version alongside the PS4 version if it absolutely blew the PS4 version out of the water due to the fact that they have a close business relationship with Sony, Sony likely is involved in the planning for the event, and that's where the majority of their players will be, not that the PC version would be worse because of the existence of the deal. If the deal was with MS it wouldn't be surprising since they're pushing Windows gaming features more lately.

Dynomutt

I get what you're saying, but look at the Gjallarhorn and Khvostov quests for example, they're way to simple. I'm probably in the minority but I want the exotics to be hard to get, the best approach so far is the Black Spindle quest, a hidden mission which was actually challenging. It's one of the few times after vanilla Destiny where an exotic actually feels special as well.

It's not an exotic if everyone has it. That was the allure. They need to make the quests accessible yet difficult so that exotics do not be come saturated.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's not an exotic if everyone has it. That was the allure. They need to make the quests accessible yet difficult so that exotics do not be come saturated.

I think the design of the exotics needs an adjustment for 2. I don't mind if a lot of people can get them but they all need to be very powerful so that there's a lot more choice and variation involved in what people choose. There's too many legendaries that outclass exotics in a lot of ways and don't take up that slot so only a couple exotics to make it regularly into loadouts because they're so much better than the others.

Midas

I totally agree with you. I remember when I got my Light Beyond Nemesis for the first time, people actually sent me messages asking about it, how did I get it, where did I get it, etc. It's not like I need to have that happen again, but there were something mysterious with the exotics in the beginning of Destiny.

kadotsu

Banned
It's not exactly a crazy idea.

This has never happened ever and Activision isn't a weak publisher that can be strong armed by a platform holder. Last gen they were the only pub that told Sony to get their shit together or suffer the consequences.

farisr

It's not exactly a crazy idea.
Yeah it is. Now saying the PC version is going to be gimped due to consoles being lead because that's where most of the sales are going to be, yeah, that's not. That happens. But a game that's this big on multiple platforms, showing up on PC for the first time to another potentially big audience being gimped because of a marketing deal is pretty ridiculous. Especially when they strived for parity between the XB1 and PS4 versions of Destiny 1, despite the PS4 being more powerful and Destiny having a Sony marketing deal.

Midas

I think they will have a separate sandbox design. Probably no aim assist on PC. Certainly not in crucible. I hope they talk about this in the stream.

I don't think they'll go in to such details during the stream, but there will probably be lots of information during the event and the coming days for more technical details.

Nothing yet. Why did you play a game like Destiny solo? It's all about the community.

I mostly played Destiny solo, and I had a blast. I would join Raid groups and play in the Crucible from time to time, so I had a little interaction with the community.

I know I will most likely be starting Destiny 2 solo as well, and I am stoked.

Yeah it is. Now saying the PC version is going to be gimped due to consoles being lead because that's where most of the sales are going to be, yeah, that's not. That happens. But a game that's this big on multiple platforms, showing up on PC for the first time to another potentially big audience being gimped because of a marketing deal is pretty ridiculous. Especially when they strived for parity between the XB1 and PS4 versions of Destiny 1, despite the PS4 being more powerful and Destiny having a Sony marketing deal.

I believe if you're going to bring a big franchise (I know it's one game, but it's well known) to another platform and only half ass it to where it's just like the other ones (not using the given hardware, server and software advantages that PC games can provide), it's going to die off pretty quick and basically point to Activision that it's not worth making another PC version. I believe it's in the best interest of Activision and Bungie to take full advantage of the PC version, but who knows with them. Hell, Bungie hasn't made a PC title in 13 years, so it could be a rough one.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah it is. Now saying the PC version is going to be gimped due to consoles being lead because that's where most of the sales are going to be, yeah, that's not. That happens. But a game that's this big on multiple platforms, showing up on PC for the first time to another potentially big audience being gimped because of a marketing deal is pretty ridiculous.

Well see, now the argument is silly. You're admitting you think it could be gimped but give another reason for it. But you and I would never know the actual reason for it if it's gimped but what you're saying isn't very different than what I'm saying: PS4 isn't as powerful as PC and so they gimp the PC version because of it.

The only difference is that you're saying "consoles in general" and not just PS4, which is kind of semantics in the end.

Especially when they strived for parity between the XB1 and PS4 versions of Destiny 1, despite the PS4 being more powerful and Destiny having a Sony marketing deal.

There isn't that big of a difference between XB1 and PS4. The parity issue was mainly due to how tied down Destiny was to the last gen games. Even vault space was held back because of that.

I 100% believe that Destiny 2 will not get a large boost on Scorpio because it would potentially put it above PS4 Pro.

Midas

I mostly played Destiny solo, and I had a blast. I would join Raid groups and play in the Crucible from time to time, so I had a little interaction with the community.

I know I will most likely be starting Destiny 2 solo as well, and I am stoked.

I played Destiny solo, but when the first DLC dropped I had a few friends to play with and it made it soooo much better. Ever since that first DLC I've always played the missions co-op. It's like a different game.

But do you mean that you like it better to play it by yourself?

I just think everyone needs to set their expectations at 30, and keep that expectation there, it will not be 60.

If it is, then I'm wrong, but it's better that I'm wrong then seeing so many people be like "fuck this, this game sucks, 60fps or i'm not buying" all because they had unreal expectations.

The real expectation should be 30.

Spades

I've read so many Tweets from Destiny "content creators" acting all snubbed because they didn't get an invite. Such an entitled bunch.

EL CUCO

I just think everyone needs to set their expectations at 30, and keep that expectation there, it will not be 60.

If it is, then I'm wrong, but it's better that I'm wrong then seeing so many people be like "fuck this, this game sucks, 60fps or i'm not buying" all because they had unreal expectations.

The real expectation should be 30.
Thanks for not meeting my expectations with this post after reading your GAF name :p

Midas

I've read so many Tweets from Destiny "content creators" acting all snubbed because they didn't get an invite. Such an entitled bunch.

For real? Haha, I always got that impressions from them, that they're just small entitled brats, at least in mind.

I agree. I believe the PC version is going to "disappoint" a lot of people because they will be expecting it to eclipse the PS4 Pro version.

Perhaps I'm being overly negative but given the incredibly strong marketing partnership between Activision and Sony over Destiny, I don't believe you'll see anything on PC that could potentially make PS4 owners say, "Damn, I should get this on PC instead."

Well unless the PS4 pro has a 60fps mode.

What I think what really is the deciding factor, at least for me is that they are doing that shitty extensive time exclusive stuff again which means it's basically PS4 or gimped content.

iFirez

Nothing yet. Why did you play a game like Destiny solo? It's all about the community.

No friends/Forever alone.

I had a group for a brief time when TTK came out and we did the normal and hard mode Oryx Raid. Unfortunately they had a falling out so we could never get the full number back up to normal numbers. I often like to play at times when no one else is on so just having a way to match make with others on the better late game stuff would be amazing... or I just need to find a new group.

ocean

Banned
Exotics have never meant to be rare in Destiny.

Even in Year 1 before stuff like 3 of Coins Madé them "too easy to get", Xur sold EVERY SINGLE non-Raid/bounty/PlayStation exclusive Exotic Weapon. Not only did he sell them all, but actually sold them *twice or more*.

With Gjallarhorn being the big outlier because it was only sold at the beginning and end of the year and some folks took months to get it, pretty much everybody who played the game regularly had every single weapon.

Exotics are meant to be unique and situationally useful, which they are. A lot of people want them to be super powerful or very rare, categories which they have rarely fallen under.

Foxxsoxx

Exotics have never meant to be rare in Destiny.

Even in Year 1 before stuff like 3 of Coins Madé them "too easy to get", Xur sold EVERY SINGLE non-Raid/bounty/PlayStation exclusive Exotic Weapon. Not only did he sell them all, but actually sold them *twice or more*.

With Gjallarhorn being the big outlier because it was only sold at the beginning and end of the year and some folks took months to get it, pretty much everybody who played the game regularly had every single weapon.

Exotics are meant to be unique and situationally useful, which they are. A lot of people want them to be super powerful or very rare, categories which they have rarely fallen under.

The problem with exotics is that legendary weapons are straight up better than many of them, and with armor is that there is usually one good exotic while all the others aren't nearly as useful.

ocean

Banned
The problem with exotics is that legendary weapons are straight up better than many of them, and with armor is that there is usually one good exotic while all the others aren't nearly as useful.
I guess it kind of depends. As I said, they're generally better than any given legendary at at least some situational encounter. Generally speaking No Time To Explain is worse than any well-rolled legendary pulse. But if it's a Small arms CoE Challenge where you wanna get precision kills, NTTE basically has infinite ammo and will shine. You could paint a similar picture for most Exotics - there will be some place or moment where they're perfect for the job even if they're not fantastic overall or in general.

As for Armor, there's some garbage out there but I think there's multiple good options for every class. On my Warlock I switch between Ophidian, Manacles, Ram, Starfire, Voidfang... on my Hunter I love Shinobu's, Tarantella, Bones, Frost-ees, Graviton, Symbiote... Titans are more limited because of the way I play them so it's basically Garrison or Armamentarium for me, but Saint-14, Glasshouse also have their uses. Again, some are very useful overall and thus get used far more than others, but most will be excellent and optimal in at least some context.

FinKL

Is there any word on matchmaking for raids?

I want to purchase the collectors edition but not sure I should bother as I played the majority of the first game solo.

Although it hasnt been officially confirmed, an insider was able to nail the story and said matchmaking was in. I think this was Shinobi?

Would alleviate the no matchmaking bullet point

anothertech

It is. Everything else from Shinobi's leak for it a while back has come true so I see no reason that part wouldn't be.

For example apparently one of the zones on Saturn alone is as big as every planet from the base game of Destiny 1 combined
Hnnnnnnnnggggggg

Midas

Damn, I only took two. Bah, who needs sleep anyway.

Two weeks will probably be enough. I'm not going to play Destiny 2 for three whole weeks. I haven't planned to do that at least. :lol

Hnnnnnnnnggggggg

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Pause for a moment, and think about what people expected from Destiny 1. :)

But maybe that is what we'll get, and I wouldn't be the one to complain about it.

Dreathlock

There is zero chance this is 30 fps.

They cant release a 30fps shooter in 2017 while having a pc version. The visual difference would be too massive.

There is zero chance this is 30 fps.

They cant release a 30fps shooter in 2017 while having a pc version. The visual difference would be too massive.

Almost every AAA game is 30 fps on console and 60 (unlimited) on PC along with a "massive visual difference." Why would Destiny be so different?

Top Bottom