• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Gameplay Leaks [Update: Luke from Bungie comments, read post 1557]

Trickster

I never said it was a bad argument, but as someone who is hoping that Destiny won't end up being like Borderlands despite sharing similar elements, saying to think back to how it handled combat (blandly) isn't going to do much for me. :p

Skyrim is also very boring as anything more than an insane mod sandbox but that's just me.

Sounds like you just don't enjoy openworld games that have a big focus on exploration and loot. Is that somewhat accurate?

robo

Reminds me a little of Journey.

You roam around on your own looking for things to upgrade yourself, so you can progress.

You meet another player, you can decide to stay solo or team up and complete together.

Now you watch someone playing journey and all you see is a dude in the sand, walking or flying about, pretty boring for an on looker.

Play it yourself though and one of the best gaming experiences of last gen.

I am really looking forward to it, seems very much, explore, fight, gain rewards, single player in an evolving multiplayer world, were you decide if you go alone or team up.

The footage is probs of the stater level of the game, were you learn how to use your weapons and abilities.

Velikost

Ahaha no it doesnt. Borderlands stays dull no matter where you are in the game. Thats why this looks terrible. You could swap out the gameplay for better/more enemies and co op buddies. More interesting guns. Better looking areas etc etc. But the core concept of it is still dull.

If you thought Borderlands is something amazing then I can understand why you would find this likeable.

Perhaps "amazing" wasn't the best word, as no, I don't think the concept behind Borderlands is anything revolutionary, but I thought the first game was awesome, and it was definitely one of my favorites from the past gen. I haven't been around GAF long enough to know what the forum's general consensus on BL was, but I think overall, people really enjoyed the game.

If someone didn't like the concept or gameplay of Borderlands, then I doubt they'll end up liking Destiny, because from the moment I first saw gameplay footage, I thought it looked like Borderlands and Halo had a baby. I haven't seen anything since then that would make me think otherwise. Beside the narrative and possibly the mission types/modes (like raids), the main thing that I think will set Destiny apart from a game like Borderlands is the competitive multiplayer, which still remains to be seen.

I wasn't comparing the combat to Borderlands (though I didn't find Borderlands combat to be bland). I was comparing the starting area (Arid Badlands) to this leaked Destiny footage we have been seeing. The beginning area in Borderlands is rather bland, barren, and the enemies you face are largely fodder. If someone wanted to know what Borderlands was like, I definitely wouldn't show them game play from that first section. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury yet when it comes to Destiny footage.
Oh, yeah, it's just that you brought up starter weapons and Skags bringing the combat to mind then mentioning how the game opens up into something amazing the further you go along. That didn't really end up being my experience. You get your active ability shortly after you start and that's the fundamental changer, but beyond that the game always had the feel of fighting fodder and collecting weapons with higher numbers to continue fighting fodder.

pls destiny no

Sounds like you just don't enjoy openworld games that have a big focus on exploration and loot. Is that somewhat accurate?
I wouldn't say so. I just don't think Borderlands satisfies the loot or shooting end of it and compromises on both to get it done, and I just think Elder Scrolls games have gotten worse after Morrowind. I like just about every loot-based ARPG I've played (like Diablo 2 & 3, Van Helsing, Dark Alliance, Titan Quest, Marvel Heroes) and I think the best example of an open exploratory looty first person shooter would be S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but I'm not holding Destiny to those expectations or anything. Just those two games end up being bad examples for me is all.

KOHIPEET

Just watched the vimeo footage and boy! This game is gonna kick ass. I can't wait to play it. The part when the Elder Captain arrives..mmm. Big like.

Trickster

I wouldn't say so. I just don't think Borderlands satisfies the loot or shooting end of it and compromises on both to get it done, and I just think Elder Scrolls games have gotten worse after Morrowind. I like just about every loot-based ARPG I've played (like Diablo 2 & 3, Van Helsing, Dark Alliance, Titan Quest, Marvel Heroes) and I think the best example of an open exploratory looty first person shooter would be S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but I'm not holding Destiny to those expectations or anything. Just those two games end up being bad examples for me is all.

Totally fair. It's funny though, we seem to be at each end of the spectrum. Because I love borderlands and bethesda games. But I truly dislike STALKER, i tried the first one, and ended up dropping it because it didn't feel fun and enjoyable at all to me. Can't even remember why anymore as it's been so long.

Velikost

Oh, yeah, it's just that you brought up starter weapons and Skags bringing the combat to mind then mentioning how the game opens up into something amazing the further you go along. That didn't really end up being my experience. You get your active ability shortly after you start and that's the fundamental changer, but beyond that the game always had the feel of fighting fodder and collecting weapons with higher numbers to continue fighting fodder.

May I ask, did you play through it solo or in co-op? At the end of the day, if someone finds the gameplay boring or tedious, I doubt anything will change that outlook, but I do think a lot of issues one might have with the game can be alleviated when playing with others.

I loved the writing, dialogue, weapons, enemies, and areas in that game, but I'm sure there were tedious or repetitive sections in between uncovering the new stuff. Having someone to play through those parts with made them much more bearable, and made the game way more fun overall.

Lasty95

I seriously don't get it, but for whatever reason Destiny is just not hitting the spot right now for the majority here.

So gaf, what will it take at E3 to turn this around for you?

What do you want to see this coming week?

I seriously don't get it, but for whatever reason Destiny is just not hitting the spot right now for the majority here.

I would want a better understanding of what is in the game other then left trigger, right trigger moment to moment gameplay and Peter Dinklage.

And I would love to see how Bungie plans to make this a ten year project, and what their overall vision is.

competitive multiplayer and a campaign mission or public event on notOldRussia

tasch

Banned

take this with a grain of salt, but... there's a rumor that the alpha from e3 will be made available to all playstation 4 owners on tuesday.

May I ask, did you play through it solo or in co-op? At the end of the day, if someone finds the gameplay boring or tedious, I doubt anything will change that outlook, but I do think a lot of issues one might have with the game can be alleviated when playing with others.

I loved the writing, dialogue, weapons, enemies, and areas in that game, but I'm sure there were tedious or repetitive sections in between uncovering the new stuff. Having someone to play through those parts with made them much more bearable, and made the game way more fun overall.
I mostly played co-op, but there was a bit of solo. The social factor certainly enhances it and makes it easier to play for longer stretches, but it didn't change my opinion on the combat.

Every single Destiny video underwhelms. Be it the carefully crafted Bungie reveal or "leaked" footage. 500 millions and it looks like a dud. Apart from trolls and fanboys, people who still believe cling to Bungie's legacy or rather to the potential of Destiny as a game without any evidence of that potential realised.

This is supposed to be an Alpha build and we're only 3 months from release. Things are not looking up. Hopefully, they delay it to inject some much-needed fun into it.

What do you mean "for whatever reason"?
People stated clearly why this is the case in most of the leaked videos, which also gives you the answer to your question to what it takes to turn it around at E3.

nath999

Looks exactly like Borderlands with absolutely no personality. Everything they've shown makes it look so generic, the only thing I've liked is a the fluid animations but that's hardly a reason to buy a game.

take this with a grain of salt, but... there's a rumor that the alpha from e3 will be made available to all playstation 4 owners on tuesday.

Beta is in July, PS owners are getting a three day headstart. So that's not happening. If E3 was two weeks from now, then sure. But the time frame doesn't add up.

I am actually really excited for this game. I am interested in the story and the world. Sadly, the gameplay looks like Borderlands from what I saw in these videos. I did not like Borderlands, it was too tedious and boring. Even in co-op, Borderlands was terrible.

I even gave Borderlands a second chance by buying and playing the second game halfway through!

For me the combat just looks boring and uninspired. It looks like a better looking Borderlands but with 0 personality. Almost no action skills and the enemies are very generic. It seems that tougher enemies have just more health and maybe another ability but that's it.

I want to see more action skills / interesting weapons / variety in enemies / better AI

The design is awesome though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

The problem with E3 and I think this leak illustrates it to myself personally, Is that it really is all about a very scripted event that makes you shout out, AWESOME! It gets you hyped for a game, However we never really know the circumstance around that specific event. We usually get told it's X amount of hours in and that's it.

The leaked footage had to be the most boring footage i've watched in a while and the thing is, It's a normal person playing the game. It's not a scripted event, it's not designed to make you get hyped. If I have to play through what the leaked footage has shown, which I would do, I would personally be bored shitless.

So unless there's some really specific details about how MP works and not just scripted events to show how "awesome" explosions and shit are, I have no idea what Bungie could do to make me excited at all.

Wasp

It really does look EXACTLY like Borderlands, except without the humor.

It will be an utter disgrace if it doesn't have local co-op considering co-op seems to be a bigger part of the game than it was for Halo or Borderlands.

Do threads like this make people at Bungie nervous (is Frankie still posting?) or are they living in a bubble like the reveal video from last year suggested, in awe with their own creative genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o

To be fair to Bungie. They actually know what the game is, something we don't. So them being excited for it is more valid considering they're playing it every day and know the full scope of it.

And you don't land a ten year long contract with Activision if everyone is not totally convinced this could be the next big thing.

dtg

Neo Member
I wish there were some cool movement abilities shown. Something like Brink or Mirrors Edge or skiing from Tribes. Section 8 had pretty good movement too. Just running around shooting things gets old fast, especially with bland levels, and moderately okay AI.

Lasty95

I wish there were some cool movement abilities shown. Something like Brink or Mirrors Edge or skiing from Tribes. Section 8 had pretty good movement too. Just running around shooting things gets old fast, especially with bland levels, and moderately okay AI.

There are! Class specific and upgradable.

Hover/double jump/teleport we know about.

Could be more too.

To be fair to Bungie. They actually know what the game is, something we don't. So them being excited for it is more valid considering they're playing it every day and know the full scope of it.

Yeah, but the video was not meant to objectively show the state of Bungie, it was meant to sell the game.

And you don't land a ten year long contract with Activision if everyone is not totally convinced this could be the next big thing.

That was coming off making successful Halo games. 4 years have passed and this game could break Bungie and Activision. The stakes are high and it's not looking too promising so far.

jem0208

funny, i see a larger scale reskinned halo with an unnecessary ADS and space magic. the core gameplay looks very very similar. i'm not knocking it btw

What part of that game video screamed MMO to you? I see the reference to Borderland but its Totally got a Halo vibe to it way more in gameplay than Borderlands.

The gameplay really isn't that similar. The basic gunplay looks very different. Obviously you have ADS which vastly changes the pace of the game. The recoil and spread of the weapons also looks very different. Then you have the fact that the reticule has spread when you are falling / jumping. This small fact alone changes the dynamic of the game completely.

Also the game didn't scream MMO to me, it screamed Borderlands. It did also have some very MMO style features, public events for example.

As far as screaming Borderlands, every about it looks pretty similar. Focus on co-op gameplay and awesome loot, medium to large interconnected areas to explore, RPG mechanics, each character class has their own special ability... Even some of the presentation like damage numbers streaming off of the enemies you hit is similar.

Then you have the gunplay. Everything about it screams Borderlands. Even the recoil patterns are reminiscent of Borderlands.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing btw. Just noting it.

Graphically, it is undeniably Halo. Game play wise, not so much.

I agree, it has a very Reach vibe which is a pretty good thing. Reach is gorgeous.

After watching the 40 minute long 'What we know about Destiny so far' video posted in another thread, my hype level went up a lot. I don't think Bungie's is doing a very good job displaying exactly what's going on with the game.

This may be a preemptive hype deflate, but I'd rather there was this skepticism about Destiny before release than the thudding post-release hype deflation of Titanfall.

Shadders

Looks worryingly dull.

Imagine if you were Acti and had poured $100m into this...

I think all the Bungie trailers have been pretty poor to be honest, they all look a bit.. Old fashioned? Like, they're still making trailers the same way they did for Halo CE when the rest of the industry makes bold Hollywood-style trailers.

QaaQer

Looks worryingly dull.

I think all the Bungie trailers have been pretty poor to be honest, they all look a bit.. Old fashioned? Like, they're still making trailers the same way they did for Halo CE when the rest of the industry makes bold Hollywood-style trailers.

I read that as bollywood-style trailers. I want me some Destiny Bollywood action now.

Vashetti

Banned
Looks worryingly dull.

Try $500m.

Xater

After watching the 40 minute long 'What we know about Destiny so far' video posted in another thread, my hype level went up a lot. I don't think Bungie's is doing a very good job displaying exactly what's going on with the game.

This may be a preemptive hype deflate, but I'd rather there was this skepticism about Destiny before release than the thudding post-release hype deflation of Titanfall.

Yep there is a lot of stuff going on with this game that lots of people don't even know about. The marketing is doing a pretty poor job at communicating those things.

Ovek

7Member7
If they are going to copy BoredomLands why did they have to copy the dull and lifeless world as well? Yawn I wonder how many of the development team at Bungie has BL2 installed on their office computers.

drotahorror

Reminds me a little of Journey.

You roam around on your own looking for things to upgrade yourself, so you can progress.

You meet another player, you can decide to stay solo or team up and complete together.

Now you watch someone playing journey and all you see is a dude in the sand, walking or flying about, pretty boring for an on looker.

Play it yourself though and one of the best gaming experiences of last gen.

I am really looking forward to it, seems very much, explore, fight, gain rewards, single player in an evolving multiplayer world, were you decide if you go alone or team up.

The footage is probs of the stater level of the game, were you learn how to use your weapons and abilities.

All the things you said remind me on an MMO. I think Journey is a completely different experience to an MMO.

Dire

So this is what half a billion dollars gets you?

Just think about that. If you earn $40k a year and didn't spend a single penny for 12.5 thousand years - you could personally fund something as amazing as this! What a steal!

I'm sure they are more interested in the opinions of people that have actually played the game.

Nah, they care the most about who can potentially buy the game, regardless if they played it or not, and whatever good or bad press the game gets. This business relies heavily on preorders where, most often than not, the game has not been played before. Just hyped gamers wanting to get their hands on the next big thing.

Some broke ass kid playing it at Toys R Us? They don't care.

jelly

I wonder if they over designed it and lost something along the way. When you focus so much on making it perfect and believe it so much, you can lose sight of the important things. It would be surprising if Bungie miss the fun aspect.

Nah, they care the most about who can potentially buy the game, regardless if they played it or not, and whatever good or bad press the game gets. This business relies heavily on preorders where, most often than not, the game has not been played before. Just hyped gamers wanting to get their hands on the next big thing.

Some broke ass kid playing it at Toys R Us? They don't care.

While you're right about that, Bungie/Activision is in a position of playing the long game. It's a ten year plan for this (if Activision doesn't bail out after Destiny 2). They can, in theory at least, afford to build momentum throughout the first two to three years before reaching critical mass - in the same way that WoW did back when it was absolutely gigantic.

Word of mouth is going to be important for this product, and going forward more and more important as games will become "living breathing" products that stretch out farther then just being the initial preorder/launch cycle.

Dire

Do threads like this make people at Bungie nervous (is Frankie still posting?) or are they living in a bubble like the reveal video from last year suggested, in awe with their own creative genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o

FWIW Bungie isn't getting shit from this game relative to Activision. Bungie's getting a pitiful up to 35% royalty of whatever's left over after every single one of Activision's expenses (including for instance - marketing) is paid for. That's if the game sells an absurd amount and it's not delayed - which it already has been. On the bottom end they get 18% of that same figure.

The contract for the game was made public thanks to the Respawn-Activision lawsuit: http://documents.latimes.com/bungie-activision-contract/

And Activision's probably oblivious enough to still think that Borderlands with a Halo skin can still sell copies in the tens of millions.

FWIW Bungie isn't getting shit from this game relative to Activision. Bungie's getting a pitiful up to 35% royalty of whatever's left over after every single one of Activision's expenses (including for instance - marketing) is paid for. That's if the game sells an absurd amount and it's not delayed - which it already has been. On the bottom end they get 18% of that same figure.

The contract for the game was made public thanks to the Respawn-Activision lawsuit: http://documents.latimes.com/bungie-activision-contract/

And Activision's probably oblivious enough to still think that Borderlands with a Halo skin can still sell copies in the tens of millions.

That's the tail end of the contract -- you're forgetting bonuses and milestones that don't have to be repaid.

Top Bottom