• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Alpha Thread: Impressions from the wild [Code Begging=ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not enjoying this at all. I've given it a few games, but I can't get on with it. The movement feels muddy, circle strafing doesn't feel right at all. FOV is too narrow. Unsatisfying gunplay.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Just had a 20 minute battle with one of those walker things. Peering round a corner, chipping away at the legs for critical hits / yellow hits. Sooooo boring. I must be doing something wrong.

As with just about any co-op game, it's a laugh with your mates, but the game itself isn't doing it for me.

Hate to be that guy, but I'm cancelling my pre-order :(

How do I report bugs in this game? I found one:
WP1HduP.jpg

Also the same bug in motion (the same as picture, not so necessary to look):
Youtube - Destiny First Look Alpha Bug

I had that same bug as well.

Not enjoying this at all. I've given it a few games, but I can't get on with it. The movement feels muddy, circle strafing doesn't feel right at all. FOV is too narrow. Unsatisfying gunplay.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Just had a 20 minute battle with one of those walker things. Peering round a corner, chipping away at the legs for critical hits / yellow hits. Sooooo boring. I must be doing something wrong.

As with just about any co-op game, it's a laugh with your mates, but the game itself isn't doing it for me.

Canceling over an Alpha. Alright no ones stopping you.

Yibby

I found a map of Venus in one of the YouTube Videos.
ZpvyVpj.jpg

I count

7 Story Missions
2 Strikes
1 Raid
1 FreeRoam ?

And on another map you can see 5 planets we can visit. Just a rough estimation.

35 Story Missions
10 Strikes
5 Raids
5 FreeRoam Areas

WITHE1982

Well, DestinyGAF, I *was* going to come home and see if the Alpha was still online, but I got to my apartment to find that I had been robbed. They stole my Xbox One and PS4.

Police have been called; a report has been filed.

:|
#Shit man that's terrible. I'm so sorry. I've been robbed in the past and the feeling is indescribable. I never left the house for about a month afterwards.

The best attitude to have is that it's just stuff/possessions. They can be replaced. At least you didn't walk in on then and end up getting hurt.

Hope they find the scum. Burglars are the lowest of the low.

DieH@rd

Banned
I found a map of Venus in one of the YouTube Videos.
ZpvyVpj.jpg

I count

7 Story Missions
2 Strikes
1 Raid
1 FreeRoam ?

And on another map you can see 5 planets we can visit. Just a rough estimation.

35 Story Missions
10 Strikes
5 Raids
5 FreeRoam Areas

What is a difference between Strikes and Raids? Party size?

A variation of the main theme. Not officially released. Used in the "Brave New World" PS4 trailer also.

Here is an alright scrubbed version.

Thanks.

this reminds me of sharp knees.. would not bang.

it's cool though. if its not your jam its not your jam.

lol. Right, so between now and release they're going to change the game that much are they? I think you overestimate how much things can change this late in the day.
Yes they can. This is already I believe a month old build. Lots of the bugs have been fixed. You don't think they couldn't adjust the FOV(I agree on this) during this time?

kizzmaul

Neo Member
One of the players had a ship (which can be used during gameplay) that shooted when pressed R1 or R2 (don't remember which, maybe both?). How do I get that ship?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
intresting, I read on this thread that they were just invincible, and they always were for me. Though I havent really gotten high level gear, Ive always just made new characters, and leveled them up seperatly. So maybe that was why.

Definitely not invulnerable. But they have so many HPs that their health bar whittles down very slowly. The acolytes are squishier than the knight. By a good bit, I'd say.

It was a colossal waste of time, but the two of us entertained ourselves by chatting it up and foolishly going for the odd melee attacks. And coordinating grenade/bomb double taps.

And taking turns dying and resurrecting each other for the free primary ammo refills.

What is a difference between Strikes and Raids? Party size?

• Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.
  • Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.
  • Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity
  • Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF
  • Multiplayer This is for the "shoot other players" mood.

Raids look like they'll take much longer and have more dynamic levels.

No iOS version of the app?

Lame...

Can anyone post screens and impressions?

I will be home in one hour from work, Alpha better still be going!!! What's the latest update?

One of the players had a ship (which can be used during gameplay) that shooted when pressed R1 or R2 (don't remember which, maybe both?). How do I get that ship?

I believe it was a pike? you have to kill the pilot and take it. I found a few near the beached ships.

Through the area with the waterfalls.

edit: about that Venus map.. So in the full game free roam mode should include that entire map correct? same with old Russia?

Yes they can. This is already I believe a month old build. Lots of the bugs have been fixed. You don't think they could adjust the FOV(I agree on this) during this time?

My issue aren't any bugs I'm afraid. I'd be surprised if they do change FOV at this stage. They've been playing it internally a long time now, they're happy with it. And that's before we get to the technical demands of increasing FOV - there's more to draw.

This is literally the only game I've got pre-ordered, I was looking forward to it, but I'm not going to pay going by what I've seen. Even the free roam structure got boring to me within 30 minutes :(

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Well, DestinyGAF, I *was* going to come home and see if the Alpha was still online, but I got to my apartment to find that I had been robbed. They stole my Xbox One and PS4.

Sorry to hear, Dax. Do you have renters insurance?

kizzmaul

Neo Member
I believe it was a pike? you have to kill the pilot and take it. I found a few near the beached ships.

Through the area with the waterfalls.

So they are like randomly spread across the world and can't be summoned?

EDIT: Yeah it was it. Read the wiki. Also are the level and stats achieved in the First Look Alpha imported into the beta and full game?

Really enjoyed the competitive multi player aspect of game in the alpha. Excited to see the other multi player game variants that'll be offered.

Crackbone

No iOS version of the app?

Lame...

Can anyone post screens and impressions?

I will be home in one hour from work, Alpha better still be going!!! What's the latest update?

You can likely thank Apple's certification process for that. I've betaed quite a few iOS apps and it's always a major pain in the ass. (External distribution methods etc )

Sawneeks

Banned

Holy shit, that sucks! Good thing you have insurance but damn, real sorry to hear that. :(

Others have suggested it but contacting try contacting Sony to see if they can deactivate that PS4 or your account on that system or else they will have complete access to it.

Sullichin

Wait holy shit this is still going? I got disconnected after a game shortly after midnight last night and figured it was done. It was a glorious final game too

Sorral

Just found this guy that I somehow missed. I really hope that the crucible marks get reset to gain more, so I can get this shader:

By the way, I have seen people with "DestinyGAF" underneath their names. Where do I join or do you just write that in somewhere? >_>

BokehKing

Banned
You know what I noticed a lot in this thread over the past 200 pages, the reference to 'canceling a pre-order' or 'keeping my pre-order'

Maybe I'm confused, but did these people put down a $60 pre order or $5, If the latter, why make a big deal about announcing that in the thread? It's just $5.

Outside of that curiosity, is Bungie going to suddenly pull the plug or give us a time it's going down?

Did you guys have problems finding players? I got to level 7 and literally only saw a few other characters. I literally have only seen ONE other player in explore. Even the tower was completely empty most of the times I visited.

K_B

So glad that the Alpha is still up, I finally got two guns that I really like using. It's too bad progress/gear isn't carried over to the Beta and full game, but all the same I'm having a lot of fun with the alpha while it lasts.

K_B

Did you guys have problems finding players? I got to level 7 and literally only saw a few other characters. I literally have only seen ONE other player in explore. Even the tower was completely empty most of the times I visited.

I only came across 2-3 random people when playing on explore. And even when I did find them they usually left after a few minutes. I don't know if most people are just playing Crucible matches so far rather than exploration or what.

I remember reading there was a bug with this. Also set your Fireteam options to public.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The alpha seems to be messing up my headsets today. Audio through TV works fine though. Weird. Was using them just fine until today.

Uthred

Any word on region locking or server locations? Im wondering should I get this with my US PSN account so its cheaper or with my EU account for possibly better server access

Vashetti

Banned

That's hard.

Hope it all gets sorted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom