• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny (Bungie MMOFPS, 360/PS3) Story Details, Concept Art Leaked [Up2: More Info]

pargonta

Are you sure?? Why does the title still mention MMOFPS???

nirolak has explained his intentions throughout this thread, going off the language in the leaked contract. no one truly knows at this point, the wording everywhere is often vague.

Above all i think we need to let go of the "MMO" term, or broaden it to include alot more types of games.

have an open mind and all that.

Are you sure?? Why does the title still mention MMOFPS???

because it says "massive multiplayer styled" game in the contract. Even though several members of the bungie team have stated it's not an mmo. It has a persistant online world and a focus on social/multiplayer aspects.

My guess, the game is going to be more guild wars then world of warcraft. Ie you can run an instanced mission with friends, and there's an online hub overworld, but you can also play on your own.

They've said (via job listings) that the game will be next gen though. Is next gen 8th gen or 9th gen? (As 8 is now current gen, as of the Wii U)...

I was just being silly. In reality I know very little...

But what I can't tell you is that it will be on Xbox 360/PS3(current gen?), and the next Xbox(next gen?)

Still rather off-putting.

Games are meant to be played alone. Possibly even in the basement.

Halo was/is all about the multiplayer. Halo is boring alone. There's only so many times you can play the campaign.

It makes sense for them to target a different audience, they've done platformers, puzzle games, shooters, beat 'em ups and RTSs, they've proven to be a very versatile studio.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
According to this article, it being an MMO is a joke (?)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/28/destiny-story-details-concept-art-leaked

Destiny’s gameplay is described by the document as “social at its core,” offering “a world to explore with friends, both old and new.” It’s unclear whether this confirms comments from Bungie in 2011 that the game is an MMO, which Bungie later called a joke. The document also includes a Destiny logo along with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 icons, as well as the URL Destiny.com. It’s worth noting that while Destiny.com is currently password-protected, if it is indeed a URL that’s been purchased by Bungie, it could suggest that Destiny will indeed be the game’s final name rather than a codename as previously speculated.

LQX

MS, you got damn idiots for not allowing this company to make more than Halo when they were under your wings. The concept work look amazing and already iconic and unique. Hopefully the game play matches it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Because people are too damn near sighted to thinking of calling it anything else.

I'd propose it's more a near sighted vision of what an MMO has to be. :p

Being in the genre doesn't have to imply killing ten rats until you start grinding raid bosses.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, that's what Activision and Bungie legally call it:

destiny0tumo.png

Darkmakaimura

Well, that's what Activision and Bungie legally call it:

destiny0tumo.png
But does "massively-multiplayer-style (i.e. client based mission structures with persistent elements)" necessarily mean it's going to be an MMO in the style of Ultima Online, WoW, Guild Wars, etc.

I guess they were just trying to tell us that it's not a MMORPG? That, or they're really not joking. Too bad if that's the case since from the looks of this, I'd rather see a single-player FPS with MP components instead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But does 'massively-multiplayer-style (i.e. client based mission structures with persistent elements) necessarily mean it's going to be an MMO in the style of Ultima Online, WoW, Guild Wars, etc.

I guess they were just trying to tell us that it's not a MMORPG? That, or they're really not joking. Too bad if that's the case since from the looks of this, I'd rather see a single-player FPS with MP components instead.

Planetside is an MMOFPS and has all of about zero elements from MMORPGs in it outside of player count.

It's kind of like the perception that all JRPGs play the same when they span from Dark Souls to TWEWY to Dragon Quest.

CortanaV

Neo Member
I'd propose it's more a near sighted vision of what an MMO has to be. :p

Being in the genre doesn't have to imply killing ten rats until you start grinding raid bosses.

I agree that MMOs don't have to be "go collect ten monkey butts." Buuuuut, for the general public, this is what it has become. I guess for a lot of people, MMORPG has turned into MMO in general for them, which is unfortunate. MMO should only imply what it says: massively multiplayer, and nothing else.

What I should have said, "It may certainly be an MMO, but not what you see an MMO as now."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I agree that MMOs don't have to be "go collect ten monkey butts." Buuuuut, for the general public, this is what it has become. I guess for a lot of people, MMORPG has turned into MMO in general for them, which is unfortunate. MMO should only imply what it says: massively multiplayer, and nothing else.

What I should have said, "It may certainly be an MMO, but not what you see an MMO as now."

I absolutely agree.

Pooya

As long it doesn't have subscription fee I don't care what genre it is :p

concept artworks always look nice and this looks too much like Star Wars. Still if it's anything like an open world sci fi game with large scale fights I'm in.

watership

MS, you got damn idiots for not allowing this company to make more than Halo when they were under your wings. The concept work look amazing and already iconic and unique. Hopefully the game play matches it.

Dunno, I think It worked out for MS with Halo 4 and it's going to work for Bungie and MS with Destiny too. I don't see a downside at all, considering what usually happens to studios that are bought.

Prologue

One thing is certain about bungie, they truly revolutionize online gaming with halo 2 and continued to make some awesome implementations in their future games since then. Developers are still trying to implement these features into their games and not a lot of teams can say that they had that kind of effect on the industry.

Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up changing the game once again. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Planetside is an MMOFPS and has all of about zero elements from MMORPGs in it outside of player count.

It's kind of like the perception that all JRPGs play the same when they span from Dark Souls to TWEWY to Dragon Quest.

Yeah, I think people are too focused on what they imagine or think MMOs are like, without taking the time to ponder what they could be like. Stereotypical views of what "MMO"s are does not necessarily conform to what Destiny will be, especially with it being a new IP coming out of Bungie. I'm sure it will have RPG elements, but that doesn't mean that we'll see many, if any of the tropes associated with MMORPGs. MMOs span the gamut from WoW to EVE -> two radically different games.

It's hilarious to me that people panic or are completely dismissive whenever they hear the term MMO thrown about.

because it says "massive multiplayer styled" game in the contract. Even though several members of the bungie team have stated it's not an mmo. It has a persistant online world and a focus on social/multiplayer aspects.

My guess, the game is going to be more guild wars then world of warcraft. Ie you can run an instanced mission with friends, and there's an online hub overworld, but you can also play on your own.

I'm just looking for a deep and engaging story that I can enjoy alone, I'm fine with that...that's why I'm worried.

Darkmakaimura

Agreed. But after seeing the beautiful art here, I was hoping for a SP campaign. I don't know anything about Planetside other than it's a massive multiplayer FPS, but I'm guessing it's more of a large 'arena style' like most MP FPS games? I just want to see something more story based with something that (apparently) looks this good rather than something that might be Spartan Ops with a few hundred people.

i-Lo

The game's multiplayer could pervade the single player and combine both of them in a persistent way much like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls in large more open ended world.

Here's me hoping to see some RPG elements being woven into game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Really? Cause i can't think of many ( well any) games that look like Halo, can't think of many that look like this either. Not seeing how this is "generic".
When I look at something I judge it in context of its genre not by medium, I.e. it looks like generic sci-fi. But hey, at least I can play it.

dancmc

So amped to see this (VGAs hopefully, so soon). I would like to see someone try to do a FPS with "Journey" style multiplayer integration (don't imagine that's what this is though)

Do we have any more recent, credible info on whether Destiny 1 is still a MS platform exclusive?

Top Bottom