• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves Reveal Thread

HooYaH

From Reddit.

Deej.

"Let me try to set expectations for the stream tomorrow. I don't want for tripleWRECK to be put in a bad spot here - or any member of our community for that matter (winks at Goth).

This show will be less inquisition and more competitive event. Our aim is to showcase the special breed of action and suspense that Trials of Osiris delivers. TripleWRECK is on hand to kick some ass, like he does. He'll be seated next to his teammates, and the only question he should be asking is "Do you have my back?"

That said, I will personally address the issues specific to Trials when we talk to Derek Carroll between matches. Our goal is to introduce you to this new activity and let you know how it will change your game. Should be fun."

Triplewreck.

"I will ask as many questions as possible, whether I will be doing so during the stream or be able to share detailed answers with you is up to DeeJ and company. I can tell you they are very much aware of the multitude of complaints and frustrations we have. All the problems may not be dealt with overnight, but PvP is very important to Bungie and I am confident we'll see it improve drastically in the coming weeks/months.

Thanks for all the support and kind words, I'll see you tomorrow!"

Bungie putting a gag order.

Goth obviously made bungie uncomftable lol...

It's so annoying to see bungie drip feed info like we all don't deserve to know anything other then "buy this new DLC it's great! we said so!" if you can't reply to valid questions then shut up completely and hide under that rock of yours.

Wallach

So we're going to be able to upgrade legendaries now as well, even the oldest ones? Nice. Now I really want a Timepiece.

Also excited to see my Titan will be joining the Empire. Hopefully they don't send me to Hoth.

The 'Damage/Armor' upgrade bubbles are disappearing. The new HoW stuff we've seen don't have those bubbles, and have the damage/armor maxed out.

Nope, not yet. But if the roadmap leaked earlier rings true, then the 'Comet' expansion will have an increase to level 30...now whether they add more skills or not is yet to be seen.

And reposting for new page-
*PSA*

*PSA

DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR GEAR THROUGH XUR IF YOU ARE JUST REJOINING BACK. THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PROGRESS WITH THE GEAR. WITH HOUSE OF WOLVES, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE YOUR EXOTIC GEAR WITHOUT WIPING THE PROGRESS, WHETHER OR NOT YOU OWN THE EXPANSION

Thanks for the info.

I quit playing the game when the last dlc was released so I have to ask. If I wanted to upgrade an original fully leveled Vex Mythoclast for the new dlc, what would I have to do?

I never upgraded any exotics through Xur.

So we're going to be able to upgrade legendaries now as well, even the oldest ones? Nice. Now I really want a Timepiece.

Also excited to see my Titan will be joining the Empire. Hopefully they don't send me to Hoth.

I would freaking love to be sent to some snow planet on Destiny right now.

ocean

Banned
Thanks for the info.

I quit playing the game when the last dlc was released so I have to ask. If I wanted to upgrade an original fully leveled Vex Mythoclast for the new dlc, what would I have to do?

I never upgraded any exotics through Xur.
Once HoW releases your fully leveled Vex will have a new upgrade node called "Ascend". All you have to do is buy that bubble with some glimmer, planetary mats and an Exotic Shard. Exotic Shards can be obtained by dismantling any Exotic weapon or armor, or purchased from Xur for 7 Strange Coins.

It's an instant process that only requires those materials being fed to the weapon and it'll jump directly to 365 attack with all of your perks intact.

Once HoW releases your fully leveled Vex will have a new upgrade node called "Ascend". All you have to do is buy that bubble with some glimmer, planetary mats and an Exotic Shard. Exotic Shards can be obtained by dismantling any Exotic weapon or armor, or purchased from Xur for 7 Strange Coins.

It's an instant process that only requires those materials being fed to the weapon and it'll jump directly to 365 attack with all of your perks intact.

Awesome. Thanks.

anuuuuuuubis

looks like it's going to be exclusive to burning shrine like the original datamine suggested. we wont know for sure until tomorrow, but it'd be disappointed.

I can't remember, is Trials of Osiris HoW exclusive, or can people without the DLC participate?

Z3M0G

Trials of Osiris reveal teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dApl27z2THY

bRc2SLD.jpg

Ohhh, looking forward to this!

I hope it is something interesting enough to pull me into PVP

Demon Ice

Banned
From Reddit.

Deej.

"Let me try to set expectations for the stream tomorrow. I don't want for tripleWRECK to be put in a bad spot here - or any member of our community for that matter (winks at Goth).

This show will be less inquisition and more competitive event. Our aim is to showcase the special breed of action and suspense that Trials of Osiris delivers. TripleWRECK is on hand to kick some ass, like he does. He'll be seated next to his teammates, and the only question he should be asking is "Do you have my back?"

That said, I will personally address the issues specific to Trials when we talk to Derek Carroll between matches. Our goal is to introduce you to this new activity and let you know how it will change your game. Should be fun."

Triplewreck.

"I will ask as many questions as possible, whether I will be doing so during the stream or be able to share detailed answers with you is up to DeeJ and company. I can tell you they are very much aware of the multitude of complaints and frustrations we have. All the problems may not be dealt with overnight, but PvP is very important to Bungie and I am confident we'll see it improve drastically in the coming weeks/months.

Thanks for all the support and kind words, I'll see you tomorrow!"

Figures. The PvP community wants to know about the ridiculous lag and the lack of private lobbies. Fully expect DeeJ to dodge those and more questions.

I would expect this to require purchase of the DLC.
Unknown. It's been in the game since launch, though, so I don't think it was originally intended to be like that. Probably will, though

Ah. I thought they said, but I guess not. I assume we'll get that info today. I brought it up since if it's HoW exclusive I can see them throwing the DLC maps in to that rotation, though now that I think about it, that would be a little odd with Burning Shrine in there. The original rumor was that it was Burning Shrine only which would kind of suck.

patchday

Ohhh, looking forward to this!

I hope it is something interesting enough to pull me into PVP

I hope so too. for now been playing other games to sate my pvp needs. But I just don't see this game becoming strong like the more focused pvp titles (like Halo Reach was for example). Halo had a rich variety of gameplay modes, map voting, etc.

As far as I can tell, new dlc will just add 1 new mode at best but will have to wait and see. They haven't shown me anything yet to get me excited bout the new grind (er challenges) we face

Figures. The PvP community wants to know about the ridiculous lag and the lack of private lobbies. Fully expect DeeJ to dodge those and more questions.

Personally, I want to see the new stuff. I don't want to see Deej try to answer questions about network coding that he knows absolutely nothing about. Even if he was trained to answer a scripted question, the odds of him screwing up something technical are pretty high.

So other than, "We're aware of this problem and are working on it..." what more would you want?

Personally, I want to see the new stuff. I don't want to see Deej try to answer questions about network coding that he knows absolutely nothing about. Even if he was trained to answer a scripted question, the odds of him screwing up something technical are pretty high.

So other than, "We're aware of this problem and are working on it..." what more would you want?

I don't need a lot of technical Q&A, but I'm hoping we get some general Crucible answers/explanations for stuff like upping the Mark rewards, making drops more frequent, what they plan to do with the TDB playlist, etc.

patchday

I don't need a lot of technical Q&A, but I'm hoping we get some general Crucible answers/explanations for stuff like upping the Mark rewards, making drops more frequent, what they plan to do with the TDB playlist, etc.

even if they at least increased the drop rates for green armor in Crucible I'd be happy. At least then I could more easily upgrade my equipment. I really do like the game but I cant help but feel punished during my play time so next thing I know I'm exiting the game to go play something else.

people love to rip on CoD games (in particular cod:aw) but at least it nails the fundamentals. We have all the staple features like a variety of modes, lots of weapons/custimization, and I don't have to worry bout having to constantly level up my equipment while the game refuses to give me the raw mats to even do it while doing what I enjoy. so I've reduced my Destiny playtime to mostly just running the weekly heroics once or twice a week then I'm out. because at least the pve part is fairly solid. PVP though is in a bad state. And worse- many issues they just cant fix due to core design decisions. Such as all the crazy AoE, awful maps not made for high vertical movement (triple jump, blinks), etc.

At least offering a mode where supers and radar is off would help dramatically. Would increase my playtime from 0-2 hours to a little more

Demon Ice

Banned

Well for the HoW reveal they had a guy from the dev team along with DeeJ on the stream and I'm pretty sure 2 of the PvP devs are gonna be on the stream today so they should be able to at least touch on improvements to the netcode.

And private lobbies. Really can't stress that one enough. It is a PAIN to set up competitive matches against other clans right now.

lt519

That's the biggest problem with PvP, I can run a Roc strike in 10 minutes, get three pieces of blue armor on average (engrams too), 6 marks or whatever it is, 500+ glimmer and 25 rep. Crucible match is ten minutes and I'm lucky to get 50 glimmer, 1 decoded drop, and close to equivalent marks/rep IF I win. Having all the vendors under crucible marks kills those vendors off completely for me.

What does this DLC do for someone like me who quit in part because I refused to re-level my guns? Would I still have tp go through the Dark Below's aggravating setup before I could use the more time-friendly upgrade structure in House Of Wolves?

Demon Ice

Banned
That's the biggest problem with PvP, I can run a Roc strike in 10 minutes, get three pieces of blue armor on average (engrams too), 6 marks or whatever it is, 500+ glimmer and 25 rep. Crucible match is ten minutes and I'm lucky to get 50 glimmer, 1 decoded drop, and close to equivalent marks/rep IF I win. Having all the vendors under crucible marks kills those vendors off completely for me.

The primary goal of PvP is not unlocks. It's the only aspect of the game that I would still play if there were absolutely 0 rewards, because when it works well it's really damn fun. I'm glad PvP doesn't lend itself to mindless grinding. I want to face other skilled PvP players, not PvE players who are just farming for something.

patchday

Yep this is one of my major complaints bout pvp. Just doesn't seem too well thought out. I cant fathom why Bungie would think +200 glimmer is okay for an entire 10min crucible match

The primary goal of PvP is not unlocks. It's the only aspect of the game that I would still play if there were absolutely 0 rewards, because when it works well it's really damn fun. I'm glad PvP doesn't lend itself to mindless grinding. I want to face other skilled PvP players, not PvE players who are just farming for something.

But that's the wrong way to approach the problem. It is not fair that a player can do a strike in 5-10 mins and walk out with raw materials to upgrade their weapons and yet- pvpers are treated as second class citizens. It just doesn't add up when one considers both players are spending the same amount of time to do an activity

pantsmith

What does this DLC do for someone like me who quit in part because I refused to re-level my guns? Would I still have tp go through the Dark Below's aggravating setup before I could use the more time-friendly upgrade structure in House Of Wolves?

If you read the other posts on the subject, you can now upgrade an item without needing to relevel it. It's just stronger now, no catch (other than the upgrade material you need).

That would be fine and dandy if the faction vendors accepted Vanguard marks. By virtue of having so many vendors ONLY accept Crucible marks combined with the comparatively small rewards, they promote grinding. If the rewards were higher, the PvE people trying to maximize their weekly farming would be in and out of PvP faster, and you'd be left with more people that were there primarily for fun sooner.

Demon Ice

Banned
That would be fine and dandy if the faction vendors accepted Vanguard marks. By virtue of having so many vendors ONLY accept Crucible marks combined with the comparatively small rewards, they promote grinding. If the rewards were higher, the PvE people trying to maximize their weekly farming would be in and out of PvP faster, and you'd be left with more people that were there primarily for fun sooner.

Fair enough, I think the Faction vendors should accept either Crucible or Vanguard marks, it's kinda goofy they're Crucible only.

lt519

It's fun, but it sucks that people can't play PvP only if they want to progress through the game in a meaningful way. It's way too slow, you don't earn coins, motes, materials to upgrade gear and all that in a realistic manner. And if the goal wasn't for unlocks why would they locked all but one vendor behind crucible marks that take tens of hours of playing to unlock enough for ONE weapon.

The primary goal of PvP for you isn't unlocks, but I know many people that would do away with PvE if they could.

I'm not a PvP player so I don't mind the reward system. I hop on now and then with friends for fun, but I'm just advocating for those that want to see PvP a self sustaining way to play the game and still enjoy it's full potential.

If both systems had similar rewards progression you wouldn't see PvE players in there just to grind PvP rewards. People will play what is fun for them, what sucks is PvP players feeling forced to run raids and nightfalls just to get the mats required to get to level 32 to have a fair fight in Iron banner. .

Lexad

Stopped playing back in January but just got a Titan up to lvl 25 since last week. Just hitting the grind again before I can buy gear from vanguard. Forgot how much fun I had in this game

Zakalwe

Banned

You get to go straight to HoW's upgrade system.

Demon Ice

Banned
It's fun, but it sucks that people can't play PvP only if they want to progress through the game in a meaningful way.

Actually I find PvP is MUCH faster than PvE for leveling up a new character to 20. I got my new Hunter to 20 in 2-3 days of playing PvP, I'm currently at level 31 with all PvP oriented gear and I don't even have the Moon PvE missions unlocked in my ship's navigation thingy.

I'm not a PvP player so I don't mind the reward system. I hop on now and then with friends for fun, but I'm just advocating for those that want to see PvP a self sustaining way to play the game and still enjoy it's full potential.

If both systems had similar rewards progression you wouldn't see PvE players in there just to grind PvP rewards. People will play what is fun for them, what sucks is PvP players feeling forced to run raids and nightfalls just to get the mats required to get to level 32 to have a fair fight in Iron banner. .

I haven't run more than 1 raid on my PvP char and I'm not using any raid gear. I'm level 31 and regularly 1st place in my IB matches. Getting mats isn't an issue, you can spend marks to buy a ton of them and transfer any extra from a different character.

The point I'm trying to make is the PvP rewards are adequate if you play PvP regularly, because PvP is not meant to be a major source of engrams/gear/mats like ROC strikes. The only thing they need to change is making the faction vendors in the tower not require Crucible marks.

It's timed exclusive until "at least" September, so I'd guess it's coming alongside Comet.

As we look to the skies for Parity Day…

I can't wait to finally hit that Dust Palace strike. I've been dreaming of it for as long as I can remember.

Does Wolves have exclusive PS-tent?

lt519

Actually I find PvP is MUCH faster than PvE for leveling up a new character to 20. I got my new Hunter to 20 in 2-3 days of playing PvP

I haven't run more than 1 raid on my PvP char and I'm not using any raid gear. I'm level 31 and regularly 1st place in my IB matches. Getting mats isn't an issue, you can spend marks to buy a ton of them and transfer any extra from a different character.

The point I'm trying to make is the PvP rewards are adequate if you play PvP regularly, because PvP is not meant to be a major source of engrams/gear/mats like ROC strikes.

I won't disagree about getting to level 20 using PvP. It was more of getting above 30 which seemed much more realistic in PvE. It's good to hear you aren't having problems with leveling through PvP; I've heard otherwise from others but hearing different stories is always good.

Genuinely curious: How do you handle upgrade materials specific to your class? I get trading marks for mats, but you can't trade for Sapphire Wire for example. Do you really earn enough engrams and glimmer to have enough to level multiple sets of gear? I guess some of that might not matter with PvP, you find what you like and stick with it. In PvE it's important to have a wide range of gear to tackle the different raids/nightfalls. How about having enough coins to buy exotics from Xur and enough motes to re-roll during Iron Banner? I just think they could give PvP players more without ruining any type of balance or drawing in PvEr's for grinding. If you've been using a PvE character to fund your PvP character with glimmer, coins, motes, and gear materials (wire, essence, plating) than the discussion is kind of moot.

I can't wait to finally hit that Dust Palace strike. I've been dreaming of it for as long as I can remember.

There was suspicion that pa4 was getting a 4th Pvp map this time around, but no idea of it is actually happening.

JoshHood

I think Sony said there was exclusive stuff in both expansions didn't they?

(Also, enjoy the Dust Palace strike, it's one of my favourites!)

Demon Ice

Banned
Genuinely curious: How do you handle upgrade materials specific to your class? I get trading marks for mats, but you can't trade for Sapphire Wire for example. Do you really earn enough engrams and glimmer to have enough to level multiple sets of gear? I guess some of that might not matter with PvP, you find what you like and stick with it. In PvE it's important to have a wide range of gear to tackle the different raids/nightfalls. How about having enough coins to buy exotics from Xur and enough motes to re-roll during Iron Banner? I just think they could give PvP players more without ruining any type of balance or drawing in PvEr's for grinding. If you've been using a PvE character to fund your PvP character with glimmer, coins, motes, and gear materials (wire, essence, plating) than the discussion is kind of moot.

The motes and SCs are from my other character, but those were not earned through Crucible anyways. For my hunter's Sapphire Wire, I break down the blues that I earn from PvP. You get a surprisingly large amount of blue armor from PvP, and if you level that gear up through XP (WITHOUT buying the actual upgrades for it) and then break it down, you get more Sapphire Wire than breaking down an unleveled piece.

So basically what I do is every time I go turn in bounties, I make sure to switch all my fully upgraded gear for unleveled blues, turn in the bounties to fully level up the blue gear, and then break it down without buying any of the upgrades. Sapphire Wire hasn't been an issue even though my other character is a Warlock. Other than that I use my Crucible Marks to buy whatever mats I need and I transfer Ascendant mats from my Warlock main.

Be thankful that Bungie has reduced the health of the final bosses, makes the strike a lot less of a grind to play.

Just keep expectations in check, because it's still not a very great strike. Valus is far more dynamic in enemy encounters and space usage.

reminder that if you do not own the dlc so far, engram rewards were removed from tiger strikes so earning blue engrams is as slow as ever.

And the engram drops were added to tiger strikes back near launch because they were fixing them to give rewards, shortly after removed it and stuck engram rewards on dlc only playlists.

Top Bottom