• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves Reveal Thread

Be thankful that Bungie has reduced the health of the final bosses, makes the strike a lot less of a grind to play.

Just keep expectations in check, because it's still not a very great strike. Valus is far more dynamic in enemy encounters and space usage.
Having more variety is what's awesome. I play on both PS4 and X1 and the extra content on PS4 in so many categories really makes a difference.

Can't wait to finally get Hawkmoon on my X1 titan.

Having more variety is what's awesome. I play on both PS4 and X1 and the extra content on PS4 in so many categories really makes a difference.

Can't wait to finally get Hawkmoon on my X1 titan.
Agreed, the variety is what's important to prevent one from getting burnt out too fast. I personally like the Black Garden strike a lot (with the right players who can chain supers), so at least you'll have some more things coming your way.

Hawkmoon is excellent, btw. I wonder if Xur will sell it once it's not exclusive.

lt519

So basically what I do is every time I go turn in bounties, I make sure to switch all my fully upgraded gear for unleveled blues, turn in the bounties to fully level up the blue gear, and then break it down without buying any of the upgrades. Sapphire Wire hasn't been an issue even though my other character is a Warlock. Other than that I use my Crucible Marks to buy whatever mats I need and I transfer Ascendant mats from my Warlock main.

Ahhh I forgot you could do that XP trick. To the poster above me, that really blows about Tiger strikes. How could they not offer rewards for that? Seems really lame.

GhaleonEB

Agreed, the variety is what's important to prevent one from getting burnt out too fast. I personally like the Black Garden strike a lot (with the right players who can chain supers), so at least you'll have some more things coming your way.

Hawkmoon is excellent, btw. I wonder if Xur will sell it once it's not exclusive.

Yeah, I'm quite fond of the Black Garden strike as well. Often one person quits, but it's a great strike to two-man with effective orb chaining. It's also a great strike to toggle to shotguns during the stairway siege. And the boss fight is more hectic and dynamic than most.

Platform specific DLC needs to die already. There's a huge difference between having 8 vs. 6 strikes in rotation. (Of course, we're stuck with the same 6 for the weekly rotation - platform parity can't come soon enough.) I haven't heard of any PSN specific stuff for this expansion yet, and I do hope it stays that way.

Ramirez

Yeah, I'm quite fond of the Black Garden strike as well. Often one person quits, but it's a great strike to two-man with effective orb chaining. It's also a great strike to toggle to shotguns during the stairway siege. And the boss fight is more hectic and dynamic than most.

Platform specific DLC needs to die already. There's a huge difference between having 8 vs. 6 strikes in rotation. (Of course, we're stuck with the same 6 for the weekly rotation - platform parity can't come soon enough.) I haven't heard of any PSN specific stuff for this expansion yet, and I do hope it stays that way.

Pretty sure this expansion is a PVP map.

border

My worries about the upgrade system:

1.) Etheric Light will be relatively rare and hard to come by. Maybe 1 per Weekly/Nightfall. This is just my speculation.

2.) Etheric Light is tied to damage bonuses on even new weapons, so now your weapon and armor progression is almost entirely based around RNG. This is fact, and I'm surprised nobody has brought it up or complained about it.

3.) The upgrades essentially give Bungie a free pass not to give a fuck about making new cool weapons.

1.) Etheric Light will be relatively rare and hard to come by. Maybe 1 per Weekly/Nightfall. This is just my speculation.

2.) Etheric Light is tied to damage bonuses on even new weapons, so now your weapon and armor progression is almost entirely based around RNG. This is fact, and I'm surprised nobody has brought it up or complained about it.

3.) The upgrades essentially give Bungie a free pass not to give a fuck about making new cool weapons.

Ohhh I didn't realize that. I thought it was just for upgrading old stuff. That blows.

You play on PS4 or XB1?

I'm about to double-dip on the XB1 version as that's where I actually have some friends who'll play.
All by myself on the PS4 version and not my favorite controller anyway....

Dynomutt

Nova Bomb, Golden Gun, and Bubble/Smash all day! Love this strike it is highly underrated.

border

Ohhh I didn't realize that. I thought it was just for upgrading old stuff. That blows.

King Gothalion did a sort of followup video on YouTube where he essentially explains that all Damage and Defense upgrade nodes on weapons are gone now, replaced by the "Ascend" node.

I guess it was a little strong for me to say "This is a fact", since the materials required to Ascend a weapon may be different for HoW weapons than for vanilla/CE weapons.

After the way they announced Exotic upgrades in Crota's End, I can't help but worry that there's some horrible crucial detail they are perhaps unintentionally not revealing.

GhaleonEB

You play on PS4 or XB1?

I'm about to double-dip on the XB1 version as that's where I actually have some friends who'll play.

PS4. The Community thread is crazy active and on OT20 - no shortage of people to play with; it's mostly PS4 as well.

My GOD Deej is so fake. :(

He's doing his best. He's a good guy, I just don't think he's the best fit for the job.

I liked Urk/Luke/Frankie's PR/writing style much more than his.

You play on PS4 or XB1?

DS4 is a great controller, until the right trigger inevitably craps out. It's 100% guaranteed to happen. Kind of sours me on the entire system as I refuse to buy a new $60 controller every few months.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have time to watch the full stream but I'm LOVING what I'm seeing. I prefer PvP over PvE generally speaking, and this is right up my alley.

Platform specific DLC needs to die already.
Yes it does, unfortunately it will never happen.

1. I agree, hope this won't be too much of a barrier for players to start upgrading their stuff like Vanguard Marks tried to do
  2. I don't think we know everything about it yet, but I'm hopeful that Bungie has learned as much as they say they did from previous mistakes.
  3. Between 3 characters, I have a lot of really great weapons that barely get used because of the half a dozen completely awesome weapons that get used too much. Part of the reason I don't use all the stuff I have is because it takes too damn long to level, so I'm really happy that they're changing the system. If that comes at the cost of fewer cool weapons, so be it.

Nova Bomb, Golden Gun, and Bubble/Smash all day! Love this strike it is highly underrated.
Yeah, it's a shame to experience so many people backing out as soon as they get in, but those times when you get it with people who want to play, it's the most fun strike to use supers with.

_woLf

One guy gets two things, the rest get nothing. The Destiny PVP way!

edit: no matchmaking is really, really unfortunate. :|

Ophelion

what? i played a crapton destiny since launch and the trigger is fine.

It's happened to two of my controllers I bought when the PS4 launched, but I picked up one of the white controllers that came out around the time Destiny came out and it hasn't happened to me since.

Maybe it's just the older DS4's?

It looks fun but for £20 no way, not when the new hub is free and most of the changes to weapons and upgrading are free updates.

Demon Ice

Banned
Omg yes I'm so happy with this.

Required to have a 3 man team to enter, no more teams of randoms. 3 on 3 competitive goodness

Elimination gametype

Day fucking 1, as a primary PvP player this is my nirvana

Absolutely heartbroken that there is no matchmaking for this mode.

Most likely a hint that the other "End Game Activity" will not have matchmaking either (though I hope it does!).

Wow. I really like the idea of Trials of Osiris. But without matchmaking I'll probably not be able to play it very often if at all. :(

He's doing his best. He's a good guy, I just don't think he's the best fit for the job.

I liked Urk/Luke/Frankie's PR/writing style much more than his.

DS4 is a great controller, until the right trigger inevitably craps out. It's 100% guaranteed to happen. Kind of sours me on the entire system as I refuse to buy a new $60 controller every few months.

What? Do you only play shooters or something. I have never had this issue and have been using them since launch.

what? i played a crapton destiny since launch and the trigger is fine.

I still have my launch controller and its still in flawless condition. Please note that I've put in 220+ hours into Destiny, 150+ hours into BF4, and countless hours into DA:I, Bloodborne etc. The second controller i bought was a dud and got the squeaky trigger a couple weeks after purchase and the l2 button would get stuck forcing me to ADS indefinitely. The third controller I bought (in white) is now my daily driver as it feels way more sturdy than the second controller I bought.

Some controllers are better than others so it seems.

Vire

No matchmaking?...

no-def-not.gif

Demon Ice

Banned
No Matchmaking is amazing news, this is meant for hardcore competitive PvP play. No room for randoms that might AFK / ragequit / can't coordinate.

I think they mentioned better Loot drops too in Crucible.

Wish there was no Heavy

My stream didn't start right away and I missed the beginning. Is it three losses and you're locked out for the weekend?

you have a punch card to fill, several wins or three losses then you claim rewards with it.

I guess you can play more matches but only for random end of match loot.

Top Bottom