Destiny is played in 3 person groups in every mode, including competitive multiplayer

Blackdog

Banned
Mar 28, 2014
91
0
0
If PVP is only 3v3, I'll definitely be passing. That might work (sorta) in WoW's arena mode, but I don't want that in my shooters that take place on what are supposedly huge planets. Hoping for something more epic, and perhaps they'll unveil that soon.
 

skybald

Member
Jun 20, 2013
1,364
0
0
It is so much easier to get 3 people together to play a game than it is to get 4 people together. They probably want a core of 3 people to have an amazing experience together, to have a mutual understanding and story to share.

The more people you add into the equation, the more fragmented the experience becomes.
 

Woorloog

Banned
Apr 18, 2010
19,089
0
0
It is so much easier to get 3 people together to play a game than it is to get 4 people together. They probably want a core of 3 people to have an amazing experience together, to have a mutual understanding and story to share.

The more people you add into the equation, the more fragmented the experience becomes.
What if i have 3 friends i want to play with?
I get that 3 is good core for Destiny, but making the limit absolute...
 

Ape

Banned
Dec 27, 2013
6,323
0
0
If PVP is only 3v3, I'll definitely be passing. That might work (sorta) in WoW's arena mode, but I don't want that in my shooters that take place on what are supposedly huge planets. Hoping for something more epic, and perhaps they'll unveil that soon.
Yeah. 3v3 isn't really my type of game. I don't really like 3v3v3 either, honestly. My hype levels are plummeting because I was really looking forward to the competitive side of it.

Well, shit.
 
Aug 8, 2013
1,458
1
0
Long Island, NY
I took it to mean multi-squad PvP. I do like the idea of constantly having a companion who specializes in some areas my character is weak in.

OT: Do we know yet how far gun customization goes? Like, part swapping and whatnot? No crafting element turns me off, like Borderlands.
 

farisr

Member
Nov 5, 2011
10,189
1
545
I know I've said this in other threads before, but whatever.

Still waiting on the splitscreen options announcement. Come on Bungie, you have always had great options for multiplayer/co-op, don't disappoint now. Will become a legit GOTY candidate for me if a friend could actually sign in to his profile and we could play through the game side by side.
 

LuchaShaq

Banned
Jun 10, 2011
11,741
0
0
There goes 90% of my interest considering 90% of my gaming is done solo and the other 10% is with 1 other person.
 

Abdiel

Member
Nov 2, 2013
1,534
0
0
There goes 90% of my interest considering 90% of my gaming is done solo and the other 10% is with 1 other person.
There's a lot of overreaction in this thread from a limited scope of information about exactly how many people are on a team vs. squad size... But this just confused me.

It says a maximum of 3 people to a 'squad'. That means you could play alone all the time, and then have just one other person jump in with you. Not a mandatory 3 people.
 

maneil99

Banned
Mar 30, 2013
5,364
0
0
Canada
Pretty stupid responses, 3 per fireteam, you are likely allowed more the one fireteam and mp fireteams are likely used like squads
 

vypek

Member
Dec 11, 2013
10,143
0
0
Do we know if 3 person groups equals 3 person teams? Or is it possible that there are multiple groups on a team that would lend itself to 6v6 or 9v9 or somehow 12v12?
 
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There goes 90% of my interest considering 90% of my gaming is done solo and the other 10% is with 1 other person.
You can still play alone if you want to. It's not a minimum of three people.
 

Death Penalty

Member
Dec 26, 2013
1,911
0
0
Man, I'm glad that I only have two friends who are into shooters. If I had a fourth that wanted to join for campaign, this would be a real bummer.
 
Jul 4, 2013
1,251
0
0
I'm sure this is some sort of misunderstanding no way we can't be able to play the campaign with only 2 players. That just sounds dumb on bungie's part.
 

Jarmel

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
43,443
0
0
They have to mean 3 vs 3 vs 3 vs 3, and not just teams being composed of 3. Yea not sure what to make of this.
 

JaggedSac

Member
Jan 14, 2010
17,476
2
0
I don't care too much about the competitive side of this, but either way, I'm sure Bungie knows what they are doing.
 

Darryl M R

Member
Jun 19, 2013
16,861
1
0
Looked at OPs link but saw some comments saying wait until Bungie responds. Is this completely confirmed or are we all waiting for Bungie to make a public announcement?
 

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
May 16, 2005
11,995
0
1,250
East of Sea-Town
www.bungie.net
According to joystiq, every mode in the game is played in groups of 3. Even multiplayer. wow
There are several modes featuring more players that we've already talked about. Raids are a six player activity that will always be in parties comprised of your friends. Competitive multiplayer is not capped at 3v3.
 

ShowDog

Member
May 24, 2005
3,636
0
1,150
Is this going to be another TitanFall where people complain about the player count even though the developer feels that certain amount is perfectly balanced?
It's great the developer feels a certain way, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to.
 

amar212

Member
Jul 13, 2007
6,383
0
920
www.gtsurgeons.com
It is so much easier to get 3 people together to play a game than it is to get 4 people together. They probably want a core of 3 people to have an amazing experience together, to have a mutual understanding and story to share.

The more people you add into the equation, the more fragmented the experience becomes.
Exactly.

COD4's Team Tactical - 3vs3 - was the pinnacle of the COD multiplayer. I had 2 best friends and 3 of us Prestiged twice (20 prestiges on different profiles) only by playing TT.

I see no single problem with this design. Once MW2 went to 4vs4, it was meh.

I will personally support 3-player team forever purely because of coherency and reasons you've outlined.
 

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Jun 7, 2004
682
0
0
There are several modes featuring more players that we've already talked about. Raids are a six player activity that will always be in parties comprised of your friends. Competitive multiplayer is not capped at 3v3.
Close this dumb thread ok
 

Jest Chillin

Member
Aug 28, 2012
15,251
0
0
There are several modes featuring more players that we've already talked about. Raids are a six player activity that will always be in parties comprised of your friends. Competitive multiplayer is not capped at 3v3.
Thanks for the clarification Urk. Now all we need to do is update the OP with this.
 

Woorloog

Banned
Apr 18, 2010
19,089
0
0
wht?? What about offline 4 player splitscreen?? Im not buyin Destiny if it doesnt have this.
I wouldn't expect 4 player splitscreen, but perhaps 2 players at once. (System limits, old gen are extremely limited hardware-wise, new gen probably use a lot of power for graphics)
I'm not hyped for Destiny but if it does have 2 player splitscreen, i'm willing to tolerate a lot of shit (though not as much as Reach had, it is the only game i've played that didn't become better in splitscreen mode, ever).
 

Skeleton

Banned
Feb 18, 2013
267
0
0
I wouldn't expect 4 player splitscreen, but perhaps 2 players at once. (System limits, old gen are extremely limited hardware-wise, new gen probably use a lot of power for graphics)
I'm not hyped for Destiny but if it does have 2 player splitscreen, i'm willing to tolerate a lot of shit (though not as much as Reach had, it is the only game i've played that didn't become better in splitscreen mode, ever).
Destiny doesn't have split screen it was said a while back. It's not happening. Sorry.
 

Salvor.Hardin

Banned
Apr 6, 2010
9,390
0
0
Does Bungie not have a community manager on gaf? Frankie was great with previous Halo releases but he's a rare kind of fella.
 
Sep 13, 2009
41,382
2
0
.
3 vs 3 as max for each mode? lol what

where dat big team battle
unless its 3 vs 3 vs 3 vs 3 vs 3


even plants vs zombies garden warfare had 12 vs 12 and when working - battlefield 4 had 64 people or 32 people .
 

Alchemy

Member
Sep 1, 2008
8,638
0
0
Considering the game mechanics make it look like combat between people lasts longer then the two second shit that you get in CoD and TitanFall pilots, I'm completely fine with this. I would much rather engage a small group for a serious length of time, and it makes the combat unique within the genre. We already have enough instant kill, throw more bodies in, instant respawn nonsense shooters.
 

spwolf

Member
Feb 15, 2007
16,283
0
0
Pretty stupid responses, 3 per fireteam, you are likely allowed more the one fireteam and mp fireteams are likely used like squads
not to mention that co-op campaign is going to be fun... but of course, once we have co-op, then nobody mentions it... if there was no co-op, then everyone would rage.

these days it seems like people just want to complain about something and goals are moving constantly.
 

RoKKeR

Member
Oct 17, 2012
23,406
1
0
There are several modes featuring more players that we've already talked about. Raids are a six player activity that will always be in parties comprised of your friends. Competitive multiplayer is not capped at 3v3.
But strikes and romping through the campaign with friends is capped at 3 per Fireteam, yes?
 

-PXG-

Banned
May 20, 2008
25,509
0
0
NJ
Like Borderlands, I'm mostly playing solo. But this coop sounds like a mess. Not innovative, an just a clusterfuck