• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny new Reef hub was actually playable back in early 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

Actually I don´t even know why Bungie needs "an excuse" honestly.

then why have you posted half a dozen times already here, basically saying that you'll get what you get in a game, regardless of how it was shown previously, and like it?

who's trying to start a fire, now?

I generally agree with the sentiment that Buyer Beware. sure. but Destiny is fairly unique in this regard. I took my first real leap with Bungie in this game, I feel disappointed. I will not be back. guess what. that's THEIR problem now.

GlamFM

Banned
And normally the PR and whats shown of the game is dynamic to reflect that, with developers being honest and upfront if there were huge changes.

Destiny had its story gutted and areas carved out for later DLC, and Bungie kept shtum until post-launch, the same huge story and huge content promises.

I think Rockstar are about the only other devs that pull the same secrecy level approach to PR, but they've not disappointed to the degree Bungie has now multiple times.

Defend away, but what happened with Destiny is one of the worst instances of a big AAA bait and switch in the industry and thats why the burning embers of those soured by this shitfest still glow bright.

"Huge Changes" in this case being that they briefly showed a hub area during the initial reveal that didn´t make it into the game at launch?

I get it.

There should probably be a sticker on the retail box.

"Does not feature a hub area that you may or may not have seen at E3 three years ago".

It is not that surprising. Unfinished content gets left on the cutting floor sometimes, but they can always go back and finish it for DLC, patches or a sequel.
The thread is really over with this post, but hey, let's pile on and try to incinerate this game that plenty of people actually love to play.

I never liked these kind of responses but-
ITT People don't know how game development works.
I've never worked for a developer. I've talked with them. I've read diaries, blogs, and interviews. I'm not going to speak authoritatively on internal goings-on or publisher relations (until I actually do work for a developer AND have privilege to do so AND have first-hand information). The problem with game forums is that there is never a shortage of immature people who have no such qualms. NeoGAF is better than most, but still bad enough to sour actual developers from staying and having fruitful discussions with worthwhile insight.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Huge Changes" in this case being that they briefly showed a hub area during the initial reveal that didn´t make it into the game at launch?

I get it.

"Does not feature a hub area that you may or may not have seen at E3 three years ago".

This isn't just about the hub area, this is about everything that failed to materialise in the final Destiny that had been hyped all the way along. The story, the scope of missions, random events, so on and so forth.

You can spin away until the cows come home, but there was a huge Destiny backlash for a reason and it wasn't "huh, guess GAF doesnt understand gamedev". Its because they fucked up, bigtime. Financials don't reflect that, but 'the waters' bubbling heat reaction to how Bungie is viewed have changed dramatically.

Zomba13

This isn't just about the hub area, this is about everything that failed to materialise in the final Destiny that had been hyped all the way along. The story, the scope of missions, random events, so on and so forth.

You can spin away until the cows come home, but there was a huge Destiny backlash for a reason and it wasn't "huh, guess GAF doesnt understand gamedev". Its because they fucked up, bigtime. Financials don't reflect that, but 'the waters' bubbling heat reaction to how Bungie is viewed have changed dramatically.

Yeah but they make games so you can't criticise them and have to take it or leave it.

GnawtyDog

Banned

I get it.

Unless you're a spokesman/dev for Bungie, you can't confirm that at all. But that's besides the point, because Bungie would undoubtedly say so - common sense.

But we're into plausible deniability territory which is a very usual fallback.

There is no point in debating this - everyone in here more or less has made up their minds already about the issue, whether to believe the content (both the Dark Below and House of Wolves) are on-disc dlc or your opinion, uncooked content that was/is to be released as proper dlc - aka Bungie's line.

Fact is, with all the leaks the game has had about on-disc dlc from exploited bugs etc.... the case for on-disc dlc is far more plausible than believing Bungie and Activision are angels of misfortune from gamers who have grown too distrustful of the industry's biggest exploiters of DLC.

"Don't look at the evidence that points to the crime. It's falsely incriminating and misleading" - "It's......... simply nothing".

Sure....

GlamFM

Banned

So there were "huge changes" to the story, the missions and the random events?

What were those changes exactly?

Millions upon millions of sales. Billions of hours played. 20 OTs in 8 months. The only thing they really fucked up on was the story, and reviewers docked them handsomely. Many parts of the game are stellar and unique.

We know the story went through substantial revision and, in my opinion, fell far short of Bungie's legacy.

Unless you're a spokesman/dev for Bungie, you can't confirm that at all. But that's besides the point, because Bungie would undoubtedly say so - common sense.

But we're into plausible deniability territory which is a very usual fallback.

There is no point in debating this - everyone in here more or less has made up their minds already about the issue, whether to believe the content (both the Dark Below and House of Wolves) are on-disc dlc or your opinion, uncooked content that was/is to be released as proper dlc - aka Bungie's line.

Fact is, with all the leaks the game has had about on-disc dlc from exploited bugs etc.... the case for on-disc dlc is far more plausible than believing Bungie and Activision are angels of misfortune from gamers who have grown too distrustful of the industry's biggest exploiters of DLC.
It's not a matter of opinion; we know what sections were included on disc, and when certain areas were shown publicly. We know that we've downloaded more than 33% additional data since launch for these expansions. Maybe it's just junk filler data to cover up the conspiracy!

The problem here is that posters are implying that Bungie did something immoral or unethical which is baseless and in poor taste. The onus isn't on Bungie to defend baseless claims.

Gold_Loot

So let me ask you this. You really think this HUB was complete before launch? Just because you saw a very brief clip of a PC walking about doesn't mean its ready for public use.

For example -
Are NPCs in place?
Do NPCs have thier dialog voices and recordings ready?
Is the gear we can earn ready for use?
What is the HUB connected to? Is that ready for play?
How about the music and sound? Is that ready for play?
How about the story and missions. Is that ready?

I can go on forever really. There's alot more work that goes into these things than a 2 second clip from an old build can show you.

shem935

Banned
Yeah but they make games so you can't criticise them and have to take it or leave it.

I am thinking that if I combed every post in this thread I will not find one saying that.

Fact: this is such an outrageously bullshit product that is guilty of just about everything heinous in the modern gaming sphere, so much so that I actively delete anyone on my friends list with the poor taste to partake in a fuckin cash-grab grind-fest

On point: news does not shock me - beta had more inaccessible content on file than finished game ever delivered.

Only reason I am quoting this is because it is so ridiculously hyperbolic and vitriolic that I want to preserve it for posterity and remind myself how not to post in a thread about video games.

pants

Why would they need to when you're here to tell us all about it.

Topic: This game was disappointing, I don't think I've ever regretted a purchase as much. From the lack of content to the (lack of) matchmaking etc.

GlamFM

Banned
Millions upon millions of sales. Billions of hours played. 20 OTs in 8 months. The only thing they really fucked up on was the story, and reviewers docked them handsomely. Many parts of the game are stellar and unique.

We know the story went through substantial revision and, in my opinion, fell far short of Bungie's legacy.

I agree with that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

If you're going to honestly try and take the tact that things didn't go dramatically south in relation to the story and other elements of the game, then you're into mental gymnastic territory out of planetary gravity levels.

Zomba13

Well, unconfirmed of course but they hyped up the story to be on par with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings (Either or both, I can't remember. The story and lore was hyped up.) and it ended up being "fight the darkness because darkness is bad and you are light" with anything of actual interest being shoved in the codex card things you needed to use the website or smartphone app to read.

The missions were also hyped up but were mainly go to x and "protect" dinklebot even though it's immune to damage or go to x location and fight slightly bigger normal enemy.

Not sure about random events, they seemed to pan out like they said I think.

Now, of course, game development is fluid. Things change. Obviously they thought having a compelling story or variety in the missions would hurt or confuse people so they cut it. Or it was never there to begin with or was incomplete.

artsi

Well no surprise. Destiny exists on my shelf solely to remind me not to fall into such a scam again.

GlamFM

Banned
If you're going to honestly try and take the tact that things didn't go dramatically south in relation to the story and other elements of the game, then you're into mental gymnastic territory out of planetary gravity levels.

I do not disagree with you on the story - just on everything else you said.

TyrantII

Wat?

Look, I have my issues with the game like most do, but after the alpha and public beta, it became a persons own fault for being "suckered" in with false, mostly marketing pushed, expectations.

I put in 30 hours into both before the game launched. I realized the marketing was way off, but I also got to see what the game really was, you know, first hand. Space wizards from the moon, and all.

That's when I threw down my Preorder.

The marketing BS should be crucified. But unlike most devs, you actually had a chance to give the game a run and make your own call before release. If you were still surprised, that's on you for listening to marketing instead of your own two eyes and two hands.

Septic360

Banned
I cannot believe people are defending this after all the missteps by Bungie on this. Seriously, it makes me worried about the state of the industry and how people are so quick to not only ratify these shitty practices but prop up such poorly constructed defences for them.

shem935

Banned
Why would they need to when you're here to tell us all about it.

Topic: This game was disappointing, I don't think I've ever regretted a purchase as much. From the lack of content to the (lack of) matchmaking etc.

Except that is not the topic. The topic was how a playable area was supposedly stripped out of an unfinished game. But if this thread is just a vessel for people to hate on destiny then yeah I would agree that is the topic.

Also raid matchmaking is a terrible idea.

I cannot believe people are defending this after all the missteps by Bungie on this. Seriously, it makes me worried about the state of the industry and how people are so quick to not only ratify these shitty practices but prop up such poorly constructed defences for them.

It would behoove you to address said poorly constructed defenses instead of posting into the ether.

I'm still waiting for this area

Destiny_POoD_Location_Pic_6.png

31d11d381d40f47c4d859a72cd836273.jpg

pants

Except that is not the topic. The topic was how a playable area was supposedly stripped out of an unfinished game. But if this thread is just a vessel for people to hate on destiny then yeah I would agree that is the topic.

Also raid matchmaking is a terrible idea.

It would behoove you to address said poorly constructed defenses instead of posting into the ether.
The topic was about content being cut, my post is about the lack of content.

shem935

Banned
The topic was about content being cut, my post is about the lack of content.

Content in general and a bonus "I don't like this game". The OP was ostensibly about a playable social hub being removed which can neither be confirmed nor denied. Two different things.

Septic360

Banned

I have in my post before the one you quoted.

In fact, the same chap that is defending this, GlamFM is the same one who propped up a defence for the lack of raids and supported the notion that there game doesn't funnel you through tunnels and used these pictures as evidence:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160217944&postcount=1115

First pic is made for ants, the second pic is the open world element where you do all the non-quests so that makes sense, third pic is of the scenery off the bloody map and fourth pic...well I don't even know why he showed that lol.

Wizman23

Banned
Never buying a Bungie game at launch ever again. Rental to make sure they're not lying their fucking teeth out, and then budget purchase at price crash.

I thought Halo 2 was going to be the lowest they ever sank, but Destiny was some next level bait and switch shit. Everybody there should be thoroughly fucking ashamed.

I just LOVE the hyperbole in Destiny threads.

GlamFM

Banned

In fact, the same chap that is defending this, GlamFM is the same one who propped up a defence for the lack of raids and supported the notion that there game doesn't funnel you through tunnels and used these pictures as evidence:

First pic is made for ants, the second pic is the open world element where you do all the non-quests so that makes sense, third pic is of the scenery off the bloody map and fourth pic...well I don't even know why he showed that lol.

Nice call out.

Here is what MOD GhaleonEB had to say on that matter.

Should I PM him BTW? Might be an idea since you are starting to attack people personally.

ironcreed

Banned
The game fell short of what I wanted and was expecting, but I admit the gameplay is most definitely fun. I may go back to it one day just for that.

shem935

Banned

Oh yeah that post. Didn't really add anything and you only addressed strawmen and not his actual argument so I didn't pay it any mind. Also oh boy you got him! Way to dig up a post from the past that is completely irrelevant to the discussion now. Now you have me convinced.

Yup game development is dynamic so accept a lackluster story and an entire friggin game hub shown off 2 YEARS AGO. Right...its dynamic.

Hey EA! You hear that, game development is dynamic is a thing now so plaster that as your default statement as you purposely hold back content to monetise on later on after you've released a shell of a game whilst simultaneously benefiting from all the hype generated from the GAME FOOTAGE you shown off at your reveal.

Also quoted for posterity. Way to address that argument.

Septic360

Banned
Nice call out.

Here is what MOD GhaleonEB had to say on that matter.

Should I PM him BTW? Might be an idea since you are starting to attack people personally.

This is a personal attack? How? Because I referenced the points you made about THIS VERY game? Don't throw your toys out of the pram like a child.

@shem

Right well if you want me to break it down:

They showed off a whole GAME HUB two years ago. What if you purchased the game in reliance of said footage? Is that not a problem? Is it okay for Bungie to chop it out without you knowing and then release it in a way that you have to pay for it?

So devs are free to do this? Show off GAME FOOTAGE and then release a game that doesn't have that very content available day one? It's not rocket science. How is, "game development is dynamic" a good defence??

Also, two posts above, that cutscene, if that is in the DLC is that justifiable?

pompidu

Most disappointing game this gen, what a shit show. This game literally turned me away from buying full priced games digitally.

If the content isn't complete, it gets cut. Do you feel cheated they didn't let you walk around an empty room?

No, i feel cheated because I DID walk around an empty room. Ive walked around tons of empty rooms in destiny.

The whole game is a giant empty room with a box that randomly gives you stuff if you keep spinning a wheel over and over again

shem935

Banned
This is a personal attack? How? Because I referenced the points you made about THIS VERY game? Don't throw your toys out of the pram like a child.

"I never personally attacked anyone"....calls them a child.

Well that's all folks. Got to go to class.

JoshHood

Another story one cut, though this may show up in house of wolves

bJh3C9V.jpg

In the original trailer, it comes across as when you first meet that character. That was reworked in the final game so you meet that character elsewhere, doubt it's coming in House of Wolves.

frizby

Well no surprise. Destiny exists on my shelf solely to remind me not to fall into such a scam again.

At least you can sell it/trade it in, I made the mistake of buying it digitally.

Digital here too, and agreed. I regret buying the $80 digital version of Destiny more than any game purchase I've ever made, and I've been an avid gamer since the Atari 2600. I would love to have my $80 sent to Digital Extremes (Warframe), because they mostly made the game I wanted Destiny to be.

Some will say the word "scam" is hyperbolic, but I think it's an absolutely fair characterization. They suckered me me with the demo/beta, where they had all of those areas on Earth that you couldn't get to because they were blocked off by high level enemies. I mean, I'm sure there's some awesome stuff in those areas, right? Right? Wrong. In fact, two of those areas simply connected to each other, and two more were literally nothing. And that's just one example of obvious bait and switch, and this thread is just one other. I could list dozens.

They led us to believe that it was an epic and expansive game, and what they delivered was half baked and carved up for the sake of milking its fanbase, many of whom defend it on here daily. I can only imagine the cognitive dissonance.

No, this thread IS about a hub space. Even if we make the assumption that it was completely finished at launch, who cares that it wasn't available? They're using it for House of Wolves venders and probably paths to the arena and trials of osiris, 2 activities that weren't available when the game launched, and are probably just now being finished. It would have been an empty place with nothing to do.

Septic360

Banned
"I never personally attacked anyone"....calls them a child.

Well that's all folks. Got to go to class.

Hold on a minute, you reference my post AFTER the one where he accused me of personally attacking him as evidence of me doing that? Answer this, was I personally attacking him prior to the one you're talking about? And how?

Secondly, I told him not to throw his toys out like a child- I wasn't actually calling him one. It is a critique and I'm not allowed to make one?

Listen, forget the gutter game for a moment and address my points in the post above please.

GnawtyDog

Banned
You're saying that specific facts we know are opinions. Get your shit sorted.

Umm....whether you believe one side of the argument or the other side is a matter of opinion.

That trailer image comparison as well as the many videos (of different instances and areas) like the one below which can be found on Youtube, or simple Google searches of "Destiny DLC on-disc" etc are the facts.

https://youtu.be/M778nzkfu2Q?t=5m27s

How about you refrain from using expletives when arguing with someone, especially to characterize someone's words.

Raxus

OK I was disappointed in Destiny too but the constant hate and shit posting in destiny threads is becoming too much.

With on disc content there will never be enough hate for the shady shit developers do. I, personally, want to make sure that practice is burned into the ground.

i see this game in the same way i see dcu as in it is a mmo f2p online and you just buy the micro expansions.
just lacking the content of a mmo.. and social aspect..

TsuWave

Not sure why people are upset. You got a game at release and you know what is in there. You paid 60$ for that..

that's partially why people are upset. they didn't know what was in there because locales like this reef hub were used in game trailers/showcases without dlc/season pass distinctions, naturally, said locales and content were associated with the base game by consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom