• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Wait, so Old Russia is all we'll see of Earth? Wow, that really, really sucks. All that money invested in so little explorable area... hype seriously deflated.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Find me one time that Chicago and Mumbai were mentioned by Bungie in any official press release, interview or whatnot.

In hindsight, it wasn't hard to figure out that if you aren't even willing to name drop/acknowledge something you mentioned a year ago, chances are that isn't part of the plan anymore.
This. Bungie has never once promised multiple zones or all of the areas that have been shown in concept art. There's tons of awesome concept art for every game that has never been used.

Uiki

yes pso2 is really fun, have it installed with the english patch launcher and such.

In fact Destiny reminds me a lot of PSO2 and one reason why I loved playing the beta this week.

I found destiny lacking the loot part of pso2 (let alone the social aspect).

But even pso 2 has tons of maps and content right now, the class system is way more deep and economy is a big part of it. And that's why you keep playing.

EL CUCO

Outside of coming in here and saying "hey guys, just to clear this up, no there is absolutely more than one zone per planet, don't worry", I don't really know what Urk would be able to say tbh.

I guess the fact that Bungie is not in this thread solidifies most of our concerns.

Welp.

Atleast in the ND threads whenever GAF goes into a frenzy Arne or Q is there to settle us down. lol

This is exactly why I didn't pre-order the expansion pass without having an idea of what I was getting into. I'm done buying things on blind faith. Destiny got a pass because the gameplay was solid, but can't say that I'm happy bout this.

Flipyap

What's the point? You don't get drops that aren't relevant to your class. Loot is instanced, everybody's is seperate. Loot in Phantasy Star Online was shared. Everybody saw the same drops, and if somebody picked up an item that was great for you but useless to them, tough shit, meseta or gtfo.

Trading in a game like Destiny would just ruin the game. So your friend gives you some high level shit, then what? That raid you needed to complete to get the high level shit, it's no longer necessary. Why even buy the game in that case? To look cool in PvP? You spent $60 on something you didn't even want to play. It's so backwards.
It wouldn't ruin anything. It hasn't ruined any MMO, any Diablolike, it wouldn't ruin Destiny.
Bind purple items to account - problem solved. You still could trade materials, consumables and green items that would be useless for your legendary-clad raid-clearing character, but a lifesaver for someone who just joined the game and would like to catch up with everyone who reached the level cap a long time ago.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What? No way. BL2 is massive pre-DLC. the variety of zones on BL2 is more varied too.

We're delving into opinion now. I was on the fence before, but after exploring the moon for an hour... I strongly disagree.

TrueGrime

I think we're all going to breeze through the campaign and then keep doing the same areas over and over and over to grind out gear. Maybe this game was meant for PvP more than co-op. Don't know..

Ehhh, I'll probably wait on getting this if this is true. Even though I enjoyed the beta, I ran out of stuff to do fast. I definitely want to play this, but I don't think it'll be worth sixty bucks if it's only five maps. I'll wait till closer to release to properly judge it. Here's to hoping that this isn't true, or these four other planets are packed with more stuff to do than Earth.

It's lore consistent tho.

Humanity lost the ability to replicate the golden age technological marvels. The fallen are crawling all over scrounging valuable tech. Just as we are.

The reasonable conclusion is that golden age tech has been vultured and the only remaining ruins are useless pre-golden age vehicles.

Ahh, that makes sense! I can go with that. Damn, to have a population of 7bl+ reduced to a few hundred thousand the collapse must have been horrible.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yes yes, more fuel for my "don't pre-order" campaign.

Mr_Burns_evil.gif

IISANDERII

I hope there's some more challenging settings because shooting the occasional fodder isn't so satisfying in the open world. If they were tough battlefields to get through, then I'd really like that.

Make it a challenge of skill, not attrition[having to go back to the same places multiple times].

DNAbro

It's not an mmo, but for what I saw in the beta is not even a competent "Diablo FPS"

cause it's not a Diablo FPS. They never even said it was going for that. Why can't Destiny be it's own thing?

I hope there's some more challenging settings because shooting the occasional fodder isn't so satisfying in the open world. If they were tough battlefields to get through, then I'd really like that.

Make it a challenge of skill, not attrition[having to go back to the same places multiple times].

Alpha had 3 difficulty settings so yeah there are harder modes.

Lemondish

This is exactly what I expected.

Were people legitimately expecting two to three times this? After tooling around on the moon for the two hour preview I can't help but get excited for the sheer massive size of Venus and Mars based on the zone map of the former.

QaaQer

Remember how every type of planet in Star Trek was completely represented by a small area? (Desert planet, jungle planet, etc...)

3354639-map.jpg

hehe.

If you watch the blurays, you also get to see just how common painted styrofoam was in the universe. Sometimes SD fuzz is a good thing.

tranciful

The content argument seems to come down to perspective.

If you're comparing it to a typical console game, Destiny will have plenty of "hours" of content.

If you're comparing it to other loot based open world online games, Destiny seems to have very little content. These games are typically designed to keep you entertained for months -- if what we've seen of earth is 10% of the content, we're going to blow through all the Destiny content very fast.

ETW0z7r.jpg

That's normal for a typical console game, but it's tiny for an online loot game.

It seems that Bungie's expectations is that, unlike other online loot games, you're expected to spend most of your time in Crucible (similar to games like Halo/Call of Duty) rather than building out your character over months as you level up to max level and do end-game missions to max out your loot. Did I hear right that there's just going to be one raid in the full game? That's incredibly disappointing.

BigDug13

They both have one similarity though! Both have environments that feel deader than a doornail!

Disagree. Bandit inhabitants, robot invaders, lots of aggressive animal life. BL2 doesn't feel as dead in the environments. Each zone has a purpose, style, and specific enemy types.

sono

If true that is a really poor decision, Bungie. In playing the beta you get a sense of scale and complexity which this finding causes me to worry that it won't deliver that.

unbias

After playing it some more, I was initially getting the PSO vibe from the game during alpha, but after playing SWTOR and Planetside 2, I realized Destiny offers me nothing more then these games really do. The co-op is Halo gameplay and animation with loot, the story so far has been dull, and the planet like so many have said is lifeless so far. I dont pre-order new IP's to begin with, but instead of planning on buying it fairly soon, I'm going to just wait and see if it can give me a good reason to play this over SWTOR and Planetside, so far I'm not seeing it.

Manu

Wait, so fucking Warframe is gonna have more map variety than Destiny? And that's a F2P game. And it runs at 60 fps in PS4.

Hype seriously deflated.

Canucked

I am fine with the content level. I'm still very excited for this game. I always viewed it in line with PSO, and that's exactly what I want.

People are really turning on this game fast. I though people were enjoying playing it. We don't know what the actual zones will cover and we don't know what Destiny's content schedule is like (dailies-updates-expansions-sequels)

jem0208

Disagree. Bandit inhabitants, robot invaders, lots of aggressive animal life. BL2 doesn't feel as dead in the environments. Each zone has a purpose, style, and specific enemy types.

Borderlands can feel very lonely though when you play it on your own. I'm not sure why...

Destiny on the other hand is very social however I feel that kinda ruins the atmosphere at some points. Especially on the moon, I was quite enjoying that mission until some random person got matchmade with me and started dancing... Completely ruined the whole feel of the game :l

KoopaTheCasual

Don't worry. You'll get more areas and levels in the already planned expansions
I've been very optimistic about the continued support of Destiny, but yea, this is kinda BS, if the content (compared to other loot/exploration based games) is really this small, only to serve it to us piece meal, later =/

Gekidami

Banned
Well... I at least hope that one of the other planets has a decent urban environment. Still, no abandoned Earth city to explore kind of sucks.

BigDug13

Borderlands can feel very lonely though when you play it on your own. I'm not sure why...

Destiny on the other hand is very social however I feel that kinda ruins the atmosphere at some points. Especially on the moon, I was quite enjoying that mission until some random person got matchmade with me and started dancing... Completely ruined the whole feel of the game :l

Is it social? There's no way to talk to those random people unless they're on your friend list right? You're seeing random people fighting the same stuff as you and I guess that can make the game feel less lonely than Borderlands, especially during random events that players converge on, I'll give you that. But there's no real communication going on with them.

Sakura

Hmm... Pretty disappointing.
I was planning on preordering the Destiny bundle once I got paid, but I'm not sure I will any more.
The Earth is a big place yet all we get is Old Russia...? No thanks.
The gameplay is fun and all, but I have no interest in playing the same areas over and over again.

Top Bottom