• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's hard to say they don't emphasize it when they have an explore option for each planet.

Yep. If the game had a significant exploration aspect, I would expect the game to make you discover new travel points and uncover an initially hidden map, but all that is absent from the Beta, and very probably not part of the game at all.

That is super disappointing. While I won't say I'm passing on Destiny completely (the shooting is really nice) I will probably wait until I can find it cheap on sale or something. The beta felt really limited in terms of the single/co-op stuff, and the Crucible stuff may as well not exist. I'll never touch it.

This... is really upsetting, tbh. Exploration was one of the last things about this game that seemed to make it unique, but it looks like that is not the case anymore.

22 story missions? We've played 1/4 of the campaign already? Yikes...

Seriously. If all of the people who were super hyped for this game play the Beta enough to satisfy that, who is going to buy the game?

Posted yet?

The URL shortener is setting off my bullshit detector.

Vire

What have they been working on for four years with 500 people?... How much of this game was cut? Jesus.

Well I'm glad for this thread. I learned stuff I wasn't aware of. I've put in maybe 30hrs into the Alpha and Beta combined, and I'm definitely getting it, but I was under some false assumptions. Mainly in regards to level cap and map count.

I'm a little disappointed with how little transparency is coming from these big developers of late. The Last of Us Remastered (good lord don't eat me alive) taking its sweet time with the footage, GTA V with its online heist mode (we were robbed!!1), and I would add the lack of hard details in Destiny to the list.

I don't blame anyone for being disappointed one bit. I think now more than ever consumers have to hold this industry accountable to some standard, even if we can't always agree what that standard might be.

Nipo

That is super disappointing. While I won't say I'm passing on Destiny completely (the shooting is really nice) I will probably wait until I can find it cheap on sale or something. The beta felt really limited in terms of the single/co-op stuff, and the Crucible stuff may as well not exist. I'll never touch it.

I find it really hard to buy new games in September/October knowing they'll be on sale for $20-30 off come Black Friday.

Darkgran

I am going to wait until I play the game to pass judgement. Some of the reactions on here are just stupid.

Been having a blast in the beta.

Posted yet?

Just crunched the numbers; if we assume 15 minutes for each story mission (generous, from what we've seen so far), 45 minutes for each strike, and an hour and a half for the raid, and we're looking at 11.5 hours of story content. That's... not much, for something being billed as an RPG. We got a ton of hours out of the beta, but once the "new coat of paint" sensation wears off, I doubt running the same missions over and over and over again will be appealing.

Why? I pre-order on Amazon at no cost to me, it assures me a beta code I didn't have to beg for, and I can cancel it at any time. Which I am going to do.

Yup same. I pre-order most games I'm interested in on Amazon for the release day shipping to my door. Costs nothing and I can always cancel. Plus, lots of times I save money by ordering when it's announced. My Destiny pre-order was 49.99 before I cancelled (retails for (69.99) so right there I would have saved 20 bucks.

Crazy that people are worried about content. Sounds like a vast number of people dumped double digit hours into the beta, which was a small sample of the game. The beta had more replay value than any game I've played in a while (personally).

What is the expectation, at this point, for a $60 game? This game is going to be massive, and highly replayable.

Whatever the case, hopefully enough of you are disappointed enough to cancel your Ghost editions so I can get my hands on one.

Trey

Bungie pulled the same thing when marketing Halo 3. "Those mountains over there? You can actually walk up to them and climb them." Cute to say but I know marketing speak when I hear it.

robo

not overly impressed with this news.

was expecting more levels per map to be honest.

Have played the alpha and beta to death and got really hyped for this, but this news is quite deflating.

Also after going through the tower a fair bit, I find quite a lot of content is locked behind crucible points, which are mainly earned in PvP matches, a mode I am not interested in.

This news also seems to indicate that the overall goal from bungie was more the PvP and not as I hoped the PvE with my buddies.

Considering what to do with my pre-order, £50 for a game which i thought would last me awhile, is now only going to take a month or so. Plus DA:3 is due in November so I can get my RPG fix there.

Plus for the trophy whores amongst us I expect quite a few of them to be crucible based, which means no plat for me.

Ah well back to the beta and then warframe for a couple more months.

Gaz_RB

You guys are seriously buying that rumor?

That can't be the complete list. There has to be more missions on Earth because how else are we going to access King's Watch, the Jovian Complex and the Seraphim Vault? And Bunker RAS-2. I really doubt that areas that big and closed off don't have any more significance than just explorable areas.

There is no way that list has all the content. That would make absolutely no sense considering all the areas we've seen in both Old Russia and the Moon.

Bsigg12

Yeah, if this is true, then I'm really, really worried about the variety of story missions available. But hopefully this is false.

They could be pulling stuff from either a game file off a 360/PS3 or the Android or iOS app. That said, that data could be missing stuff though they have probably been content locked for a few months now so who knows. I guess we'll see.

Roshin

Yes, this was disappointing, but I'm glad I found out, because I was ready to drop money on a pre-order... :(

I can't help but wonder, though. A huge team working for what, 3-4 years, and this is it? How much content is being held back for DLC?

Crazy that people are worried about content. Sounds like a vast number of people dumped double digit hours into the beta, which was a small sample of the game. The beta had more replay value than any game I've played in a while (personally).

What is the expectation, at this point, for a $60 game? This game is going to be massive, and highly replayable.

Whatever the case, hopefully enough of you are disappointed enough to cancel your Ghost editions so I can get my hands on one.

I see a lot of people saying this and I honestly don't see where the replay value was, I feel like I missed an entire aspect of the Beta. I finished the story missions in a couple of hours, and explored Old russia for maybe an hour before I got bored of those beacon objectives where you just go and shoot enemies until they drop X item.

Like, what was there that people put 30 hours into?

That has to be wrong unless the story on Earth has a crapton of cut scenes not in beta. The story is too disjointed not to have more missions.Rasputin was clearly leading to something and nothing in the story sent us to the moon yet. God help this game if that's the entire story in Old Russia, because the critics won't.

Gaz_RB

It's probably fake unless someone managed to datamine like Titanfall which I find a unrealistic though not entirely impossible.

I'm sure most of it is real, but I'm convinced that is nowhere near a complete list.

Like just think- "The Last Array" is the last mission we played in the beta. Storywise, there is absolutely no way that is the final mission on earth, even with the strike.

BLCKATK

That stuff is probably a rip from the Beta Build. Do we even know how old that build is, or if the build contained all the stuff for launch already? No. All that is saying is that stuff is definitely in, doesn't guarantee anything about it being the only content for launch though.

Top Bottom