• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
More evidence that morons need to stop preordering games with vague ideas about what the content actually is

Or how about we just stop preordering period unless its some rare game that might not come in like CAVE shmups

I like how people are getting offended at people cancelling preorders like it's some criminal act.

Rubius

Your entire post is false and you should feel bad about it.

This is what I got from the showcases so far. Did not play Destiny yet. But from what I hear from other people it's not an MMO either. You simply have sections of the worlds that are open to public and not the whole world.

More evidence that morons need to stop preordering games with vague ideas about what the content actually is

I think preordering is fine. It's those canceling their preorders based on uncertain information on a whim without further investigation; almost makes it feel like they weren't that confident in the preorder at all.

Well yeah, but people just expected there to be more than four unique locations to explore. I think it's a pretty disappointing amount for this type of game.
Let's wait until you complete the final game and judge all of its content before saying you're disappointed.

gatti-man

Ya know,

This thread is probably why we don't get demos anymore.

The hype around building a game up is to make people want to play the game. Make people need to play this amazing game that they have seen videos of, read reviews, previews, live stage demos, etc.

I think the reality is after a weekend of playing a game a certain number of people are satiated. Or backlash begins.

it's almost impossible to bring back that early excitement for a game once it's gone. Look at any OT. The lead up to launch and just post launch is elation. About two weeks later it almost always starts to turn, even for the really really good games.

Honestly, if I were a publisher I wouldn't ever run a public beta. Extremely limited behind NDA beta is one thing.. but I don't know if I see the value in a release getting a general beta or a demo.

Unless it's a game that isn't getting much attention and you believe in the product. That's a bit different... but if you have a hype machine, maybe you shouldn't give a taste of the drug away for free.

I think it's because many here are enthusiasts and tend to over play new games ESPECIALLY free betas. Then comes the backlash over the tiny details most people wouldn't care about or the problems from sinking countless hours into something without taking a break.

Jarmel

Banned
Ya know,

The hype around building a game up is to make people want to play the game. Make people need to play this amazing game that they have seen videos of, read reviews, previews, live stage demos, etc.

I think the reality is after a weekend of playing a game a certain number of people are satiated. Or backlash begins.

it's almost impossible to bring back that early excitement for a game once it's gone. Look at any OT. The lead up to launch and just post launch is elation. About two weeks later it almost always starts to turn, even for the really really good games.

Honestly, if I were a publisher I wouldn't ever run a public beta. Extremely limited behind NDA beta is one thing.. but I don't know if I see the value in a release getting a general beta or a demo.

Unless it's a game that isn't getting much attention and you believe in the product. That's a bit different... but if you have a hype machine, maybe you shouldn't give a taste of the drug away for free.

I would say the Alpha and Beta are the best thing that happened to Destiny. The marketing pre-June has been lackluster to say the least and while some of that hype juice is gone, more people also have a clear idea of what the game wants to be and where it is.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think preordering is fine. It's those canceling their preorders based on uncertain information on a whim without further investigation; almost makes it feel like they weren't that confident in the preorder at all.

To be fair, most preorders are made on uncertain information on a whim.

rac

Banned

Why not? It generates a lot of pre-orders and the majority of buzz around the game has been positive. I doubt any sort of backlash would stop Destiny from selling a ton of copies.

Canucked

Why do people keep saying there's a lack of information before release. They've let you play the damn game for crying our loud and they've detailed many areas in the game to some degree.

When did games start getting level by level content breakdowns before release?

If it's something you want, that's very fair, and you can wait to buy until you have that information, but don't act like it's standard practice in this industry, and that Bungie is being shady by not outlining the entire thing beforehand.

Gorillaz

Activision and Bungie marketing team deserves a raise for how well they made the entire product come off vague. No matter what content is shown at the end, it can be spun

Let's wait until you complete the final game and judge all of its content before saying you're disappointed.

A core part of an MMO is the expansiveness, you want a new universe to explore.

WoW delivered it years and years ago, it felt huge and you felt just one part of a massive living world. It really seems like Destiny is missing out on that.

Ya know,

And yet in the press Destiny is getting waaaaaaay better play than it was pre-alpha when everyone thought the gameplay looked stale compared the likes of Titanfall.

The alpha and beta changed general perception in a positive way.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
lol @ people cancelling pre-orders over this rumor. Why don't we wait for an official announcement from bungie before doing something so dramatic? Pretty ridiculous.

Norns

WoW delivered it years and years ago, it felt huge and you felt just one part of a massive living world. It really seems like Destiny is missing out on that.

The game isn't a MMO, what part of this is so hard to understand?

DNAbro

It's not an MMO. There are many mmo elements but it's not.

To be fair, most preorders are made on uncertain information on a whim.

But there's usually a reason. The earned trust in a developer, a new installment in a proven series, etc. I don't think it's a mistake to trust in Bungie and therefore preorder their new stuff. I was just saying that it's weird to see these kneejerk reactions/cancellations based on information that may or may not measure up, or end up being as bad as people maybe have it in their head.

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
Have we not been looking at the same game? Destiny looks great atm.

yes it does, i love how it looks, but that video shows much more detail than the beta.

don't misunderstood me, i love the game, but i'm surprised at how much worse it looks from that off-screen demo. Even when Ghost pops out to light up the room, the shadow casting is nowhere near that good in the beta.

VanWinkle

Why do people keep saying there's a lack of information before release. They've let you play the damn game for crying our loud and they've detailed many areas in the game to some degree.

When did games start getting level by level content breakdowns before release?

If it's something you want, that's very fair, and you can wait to buy until you have that information, but don't act like it's standard practice in this industry, and that Bungie is being shady by not outlining the entire thing beforehand.

Actually, I think it's very expected for a game like this. You explore the planets of our solar system. Cool, but which ones? Is Old Russia the only location on earth? I think those are expected questions for this game.

Wow, thats immensely disappointing.

I spent 15 minuted last night scouring earth for hidden stuff and pretty much covered everything barring areas with dudes that would 1-2 shot me.

Unless the other planets are MASSIVE, where the hell has all this time and money gone?

It went into wicked space magic and dead Ghosts. I played for 16 hours and had great fun. Isn't the games supposed to be fun?

unbias

Ya know,

It just depends on the game, really. MMO's to beta's all the time and I agree it is a catch 22. The game either draws more people in or it pushes them away. That said, even with some negative publicity if the gameplay is solid enough it still benefits I think. I mean look at SWTOR, had a short beta phase for most people, and there were complaints, but still it was the fastest selling MMO. Destiny is a good game, so I dont think they can be hurt from this, but the concerns of content is perfectly valid even without the beta, because of how tight lipped they are.

Gaz_RB

Destiny isn't an MMO tho

So we're to the point where people can't properly decide whether to buy a game until after they've bought it and played it?

No, until other people have bought and played it, and can give detailed information that isn't speculative.

jaaz

Ya know,

I agree with most of this, except that with the part about never running a public beta. The Alpha did wonders for this game. People who had no intention of buying it, all of a sudden were on-board. Where I think Bungie may have erred is in running both an Alpha AND a Beta and running the Beta for at least 10 days (on PS4). It's running too long, and what you mentioned in your post is occurring as a result. People are also judging full game content on the Beta, because, I think, they ran out of content on the Beta. The Alpha/Beta should have been a teaser, nothing more. Movie studios don't show you everything in their trailers for a reason (unless it's Castaway with Tom Hanks of course!)

Schmitty

I really don't think this logic makes any sense. I don't need to buy a game to form a judgment about the announced content or game as experienced in the alpha/beta.

People judge things from the available information, and if what they read/see disappoints them, it would be reasonable to expect them to not buy the game based on their impressions.

Let's not perpetuate the argument of having to beat a game fully to ever express any kind of opinion in it

gatti-man

You really think it's fair to compare wow and destiny?

I agree with most of this, except that with the part about never running a public beta. The Alpha did wonders for this game. People who had no intention of buying it, all of a sudden were on-board. Where I think Bungie may have erred is in running both an Alpha AND a Beta and running the Beta for at least 10 days (on PS4). It's running too long, and what you mentioned in your post is occurring as a result. People are also judging the game on the Beta, because, I think, they ran out of content. The Alpha/Beta should have been a teaser, nothing more. Movie studios don't show you everything in their trailers for a reason (unless you its Castaway with Tom Hanks of course!)

Bungie's Reach Beta had 4 multiplayer maps (2 when it started), a handful of game modes, virtually no armor customization and no story missions.

It lasted for 2 weeks and was played by over 2 million people.

So we're to the point where people can't properly decide whether to buy a game until after they've bought it and played it?
If your judgement is based solely on the amount of content in the final game then yes. Because we never know exactly how much content is in a game prior to release.

Edit: i dont mean buying it I mean passing judgement.

My guess would be destinations. There are parts of Old Russia that can't currently be accessed due to high level enemies guarding them or locked doors.

Huh? That doesn't have anything do with with whether or not there is more than one Earth location or not.

Lemondish

This isn't a MMO ffs.

They seem to be hung up on the game they want, not the game this actually is.

So has anything been confirmed or are we still sticking with the theory that a common verbal utterance in the English language is DeeJ (Bungie CM) 100% confirming that there is only one area per planet? I guess it makes sense to latch on to the outcome (of many) that'll give people the best opportunity to increase their post counts.

That and the data mining. For GAF, that equivalent to five iron clad sources simultaneously screaming at you in all caps.

Orayn

So while we are on the subject

What is Destiny exactly? Its not an mmo but people are saying its bigger then just a FPSRPG

Gonna quote myself from another thread.

I'm going to shy away from the binary "IS IT OR ISN'T IT?" side of this, because it's a discussion that usually comes to a screeching halt due to there being no firm definition of the term in question. (Kind of like asking if Dark Souls is a JRPG.)

What I will say is that Destiny falls firmly into the category of games like Path of Exile, Guild Wars 1, Vindictus, Huxley, and the online portions of PSO and Monster Hunter: You've got fully connected in-game lobbies that hold more than one party's worth of players, which connect players and their parties to instanced areas meant exclusively or primarily for them.

Destiny takes this concept in a more connected direction by making parts of those areas serve as "lobbies" themselves, mixing multiple groups of players together as a part of the normal gameplay loop and also having them phase in and out of each others' games like the "mingleplayer" side of Journey or the Souls series. Moving further away from the wide-open parts of an area will often take you into a Darkness Zone, which is a true instance containing only you and your fireteam.

So yeah, Destiny is pretty similar to whatever you consider the bolded games to be.

Top Bottom