• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

Trakan

I got my money's worth as well. But I can't agree that Y2 > Y1.

The best thing that came out of TTK was the new subclasses. The light & infusion system, extremely low drop rates, NF changes, armor XP, etc all made the game worse IMO.

This sums it up perfectly. I miss Y1 Trials, elemental primaries, NFs worth doing, feeling overpowered.

E92 M3

Bungie needs to completely rethink their approach to PVE. Year 2 brought some very mediocre weapons and horrible nerfs to base perks.

Lothars

This sums it up perfectly. I miss Y1 Trials, elemental primaries, NFs worth doing, feeling overpowered.
They need better weapons, I still think it's a huge mistake no elemental primaries.

They also need to redo the perks, Some of the perks introduced are great but there are a decent number of lousy perks.

phen0m24

Hopefully the later weapons and skills are a little cooler, it's not really that great to find a slightly better SCar-H.

But are we being fair here though? I mean, we will re-raid in hopes of finding a Smite with Firefly. Oh wait let me do Court because I need a 299 weapon because my light's too low.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not, but we will farm for a Grasp or a solar cloak or Int/Dis whatever they are because of that slightly miniscule difference in stats. Trout playing the same pvp matches against red bars for months trying to get the better Party Crasher roll.

Division has multiple weapon mods (a la perks). While I doubt we'll be farming for a Grasp in NYC, how different is getting a slightly better weapon or armor piece than a 289 ghost shell or fusion rifle at the end of a Nightfall?

And I don't mean that one perk isn't better than the other. Ikkarus and vacuum.
But I mean "getting the slightly better" idea is what we do in Destiny once we have the exotics we want and so on.

They need better weapons, I still think it's a huge mistake no elemental primaries.

They also need to redo the perks, Some of the perks introduced are great but there are a decent number of lousy perks.

For pve at least this idea that a perk needs a trade off needs to go.

Whoever picks the gunsmith weapons at Bungie every week must have a massive orgasm every time the Gunsmith shows up with Strongbow and Uzume. That's the only legitimate reason I can think of as to why they take up two of the five slots almost every week.

Or its a bug that they will get around to fixing maybe in Y3.

noomi

So how does DGAF like The Devision so far?

Feel like I made the right decision not to jump in.

Love it :)

I am completely biased though, I've been hyping the game for myself since the first E3 showing. Even if it sucks, I am blind to it.

Enjoying it very much.

Jinjo

Bungie needs to completely rethink their approach to PVE. Year 2 brought some very mediocre weapons and horrible nerfs to base perks.

Exotics were more meaningful in Y1 too. For sure in the beginning. Stuff like Suros, Hawkmoon, Icebreaker and dare I say Gjallarhorn. Yeah some were OP, but exotics should be somewhat OP. Exotics were actually better than most legendaries back then, not anymore. In addtion, raid weapons were one of the best legendaries for each of their gun archetype. As it should be. Meaningful rewards for the most difficult challenge in the game. The only weird design choice was giving raid primary legendaries elemental damage, but not exotic weapons.

A difficult balance to strike for sure, but I liked the Y1 exotic balance better.

Shiv47

PSN - HM KF Raid 9pm est - CM only

Pandora012
Jaf - Evil Incarnate
ThingontheFloor
milkham
Dreamgazer
DirtyAquaticApe

Edit: Full - Though we could use some alts, judging what happened yesterday.

Alts:

Round 2 - If you are on the list and not coming, just send a message.

P.s. Playing the Division is not a good excuse.....

I need to do CM 3x or however many spots open up. So list me as an alt at least.

Ramma2

Hi guys, I'm planning on doing my first nightfall today to finish up the quest line with the 5x vanguard strikes, etc. Any tips for my first time?

WeTeHa

Hi guys, I'm planning on doing my first nightfall today to finish up the quest line with the 5x vanguard strikes, etc. Any tips for my first time?

have a defender titan in your fireteam for the defend the warsat part, makes it far easier. Kill the first wave of enemies, wait till you are at 50% or so and then pop the bubble behind the warsat.

The rest is pretty straight forward.

Bold One

one problem I encountered in the beta is just how ordinary everything seemed.

There was nothing special happening anywhere, ordinary people shooting ordinary guns at other ordinary people.

That and the idea of just being stuck in NYC for the duration of the game's life span is not appealing at all.

It looks stunning though if a bit lacking in art direction

Drizz and i met someone abusing that glitch in trials AND he was lagging like crazy. The game didnt even know how to handle it. It fucked up the animation and he just teleported.

L A G S W I T C H B O Y Z

haha yea I've seen that happen as well, like what the. Makes it worse.

spyder_ur

But are we being fair here though? I mean, we will re-raid in hopes of finding a Smite with Firefly. Oh wait let me do Court because I need a 299 weapon because my light's too low.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not, but we will farm for a Grasp or a solar cloak or Int/Dis whatever they are because of that slightly miniscule difference in stats. Trout playing the same pvp matches against red bars for months trying to get the better Party Crasher roll.

Division has multiple weapon mods (a la perks). While I doubt we'll be farming for a Grasp in NYC, how different is getting a slightly better weapon or armor piece than a 289 ghost shell or fusion rifle at the end of a Nightfall?

But I mean "getting the slightly better" idea is what we do in Destiny once we have the exotics we want and so on.

I see your point Colonel, but using Firefly to shoot a thrall triggering a cursed thrall behind it into a beautiful fiery green inferno is freaking awesome.

I guess it all comes down to my core issues and dissatisfaction with the shooting and controls/movement, and the fact that the setting and associated enemies in the Division grounds that to an extent that (thus far, I am admittedly very early) really limits the game. Basically, finding a better SCar that kills yet another bullet sponge enemy in 5 less bullets from behind cover isn't that satisfying to me. Planting a perfect sticky bomb into a group of firefighter enemies just to see them shake it off isn't as satisfying as it should be.

I feel like I'm coming off more negative on the game than I really feel. I like it and think it does some cool stuff. I should probably limit some of my critiques until I unlock more gear and skills - I'm really hoping that stuff opens up a bit late game.

I can't believe they didn't include Central Park, I can already tell some green would have been a nice change of pace.

Kalamari

I'm really enjoying The Division so far. I think my favorite parts are the side missions, especially the ones that require you to navigate the rooftops, scratches that spacial knowledge itch I have.

Also, Erotic Sushi wrecks face at this game, even when he is a level below me.

Oh, and I really enjoy the Dark Zone, it scratches that other itch I have, world pvp.

phen0m24

I see your point Colonel, but using Firefly to shoot a thrall triggering a cursed thrall behind it into a beautiful fiery green inferno is freaking awesome.

I guess it all comes down to my core issues and dissatisfaction with the shooting and controls/movement, and the fact that the setting and associated enemies in the Division grounds that to an extent that (thus far, I am admittedly very early) really limits the game. Basically, finding a better SCar that kills yet another bullet sponge enemy in 5 less bullets from behind cover isn't that satisfying to me. Planting a perfect sticky bomb into a group of firefighter enemies just to see them shake it off isn't as satisfying as it should be.

I feel like I'm coming off more negative on the game than I really feel. I like it and think it does some cool stuff. I should probably limit some of my critiques until I unlock more gear and skills - I'm really hoping that stuff opens up a bit late game.

I can't believe they didn't include Central Park, I can already tell some green would have been a nice change of pace.

I'm with ya. I get it. Nothing feels like the shooting in Destiny. I'm there too. But our talk of bullet sponges makes me think about Valus, or Archon Priest, or annoying captains with overshields. The games are just different.

I am not Division defense force, I just see the fun that each game can be. We grind, we level up, we mod our guns, who knows what the exotic variants will look like, and we shoot each other or npcs. But with GAF, that equals fun. :)

I'm really enjoying The Division so far. I think my favorite parts are the side missions, especially the ones that require you to navigate the rooftops, scratches that spacial knowledge itch I have.

SUSHI!

Oh, and I really enjoy the Dark Zone, it scratches that other itch I have, world pvp.

Yup. Can confirm. That's Sushi.

Rainmaker

Banned
House of Wolves was my personal favorite time when it comes to Destiny's loot system. You still had guns that really felt special and you could bring up old faves with etheric light. I could wear whatever I wanted thanks to etheric light as well. Shells and class items were cosmetic. What a time.

If only we had an etheric light substitute for TTK. If each week you could get an item that is guaranteed to improve an items light level +1 then everyone would have that sense of control over their progress and able to level up what they want

XenoRaven

IMO, it's just generally more fun to play the actual game in Destiny than The Division. Ignoring all of the other shit that's hooked onto either game, Destiny is just more fun.

Even if you're engaging in some sort of miserable grind to the get the perfect weapon roll, you can always go back to something fun. Everything I did in The Division beta felt bland, because the core game, to me, is bland.

E92 M3

Exotics were more meaningful in Y1 too. For sure in the beginning. Stuff like Suros, Hawkmoon, Icebreaker and dare I say Gjallarhorn. Yeah some were OP, but exotics should be somewhat OP. Exotics were actually better than most legendaries back then, not anymore. In addtion, raid weapons were one of the best legendaries for each of their gun archetype. As it should be. Meaningful rewards for the most difficult challenge in the game. The only weird design choice was giving raid primary legendaries elemental damage, but not exotic weapons.

A difficult balance to strike for sure, but I liked the Y1 exotic balance better.

Bungie listened to the people crying about Gjallarhorn and took it up 100 notches lol.

Raven117

Gold Member

I mean, I dig it. It doesn't feel as fluid as Destiny does in the run, jump, shoot context, but the missions are challenging (especially on hard), and you do have to think about abilities, flanking, strategies far more than in a run of the mill destiny mission. Its def more of the RPG side of this Shooter/RPG/MMO type genre. Destiny is more SHOOTER that the RPG or MMO side of it.

The two really have very VERY different feels when its all said and done.

For me, a solid coop to shoot bad guys is all I need to enjoy a game like this and get my money's worth.

phen0m24

IMO, it's just generally more fun to play the actual game in Destiny than The Division. Ignoring all of the other shit that's hooked onto either game, Destiny is just more fun.

Even if you're engaging in some sort of miserable grind to the get the perfect weapon roll, you can always go back to something fun. Everything I did in The Division beta felt bland, because the core game, to me, is bland.
Xeno agree on the fun or the feel (see my 2nd post)

I felt the DZ was really tense and fun though

edukate

Destiny is for casual gamers looking for an mmo-type shooter. A few RPG elements here and there but nothing crazy.

Division is a tactical cover-based shooter with a lot more depth in terms of RPG elements and customization options.

Both play really different and I know I'll be pumping in a ton of hours into the division as well.

They'll be back. They'll ALL be back!

(including me)

Yea, I still like to play the Daily PvP (2x) just to get to keep my skills somewhat there. And definitely will be in full force when the Spring update arrives. And if there's a good trials map.

Destiny is for casual gamers looking for an mmo-type shooter. A few RPG elements here and there but nothing crazy.

Division is a tactical cover-based shooter with a lot more depth in terms of RPG elements and customization options.

Both play really different and I know I'll be pumping in a ton of hours into the division as well.

They're fairly different indeed. I don't really see the replayability to go anywhere near Destiny, as some people in the Div OT suggests. Personally, I enjoy PvP, especially when there's tiny to no lag, and I can do that anytime I want, for as long as I want. I don't see that being the case for Division. Once the content runs out then it'll be pretty much done until the DLC, which I'm perfectly fine with.

In terms of casuals, I disagree with that. There are a TON of hardcore, which is basically everyone that's still here today.

Here's mine for example:

1232h - 262h deleted (RIP MY MAIN WARLOCK, SUPER SAD FACE)
Makes up 7 weeks 2 days 8 hours 47 minutes 32 seconds.
6 active and 1 deleted characters.

Also Destiny has Classes, meaning more chars. Division, only 1 char and I don't see the need for more chars. Which means for Destiny, if you do PvE, some things are done 3x haha.

The GAF zone control train continues undefeated, 9/9 today. According to Destinytracker I'm top 200. Come at me bros

GGs, Feetie, Darknyss, Id and Victim

phen0m24

I have to read TWO posts? You ask too much!

Puts arm around Xeno - it'll be ok! :) lol

Well these days, you don't have to really scroll that much to read them hahaha.

See the X man cometh to the rescue

They'll be back. They'll ALL be back!

(including me)

We will. I still like playing Destiny a lot!

Pack it up folks. We're all casuals.

Filthy Casuals

Scrubby Filthy Casuals

Yea, I still like to play the Daily PvP (2x) just to get to keep my skills somewhat there. And definitely will be in full force when the Spring update arrives. And if there's a good trials map.

They're fairly different indeed. I don't really see the replayability to go anywhere near Destiny, as some people in the Div OT suggests. Personally, I enjoy PvP, especially when there's tiny to no lag, and I can do that anytime I want, for as long as I want. I don't see that being the case for Division. Once the content runs out then it'll be pretty much done until the DLC, which I'm perfectly fine with.

Word yo.

The GAF zone control train continues undefeated, 9/9 today. According to Destinytracker I'm top 200. Come at me bros

GGs, Feetie, Darknyss, Id and Victim
GGs as usual Trout.

Guardian.gg has me at #299 which is pretty funny. Most of the Leaderboard has under 100 games played -- Maybe they should have it more often?!

Zone Control would be the only thing that would get me to play the next IB.

Also, way too many thorns in "Casual" PvP.

I was watching Gen-e-us do sweaties yesterday. They kept barely losing and he inevitably took out a Thorn to even the playing field.

I thought they banned that gun from sweaties?

edukate

Destiny GAF community is clearly not causal- which is why we hold bungie to such high standards around communication and content. We're also quick to identify BS when we hear it.

I've clocked in disgusting amounts of hours in destiny and will continue to do so once bungie returns from lunch. Divison is more in line with Diablo 3 in terms of loot/ skill trees/ etc. Ubi seems like they absorbed more from Blizzard than Bungie when it comes to this department.

Again-- love destiny, but I'm glad the division will (hopefully) force bungie to do things better.

GGs as usual Trout.

Guardian.gg has me at #299 which is pretty funny. Most of the Leaderboard has under 100 games played -- Maybe they should have it more often?!

Zone Control would be the only thing that would get me to play the next IB.

Looking at my game history (42 total) its only been up 4/5 times which is stupid as its by far the best 6v6 mode

How are the connections today? Less lag then yesterday?

Much better we still had the occasional lagger but I don't think they'll ever be able to eradicate that. The other teams may have hated us though as our team was UK, US, Singapore and Australia :d

I was watching Gen-e-us do sweaties yesterday. They kept barely losing and he inevitably took out a Thorn to even the playing field.

The Thorn sweaty ban lasted for like 12 seconds. FeelsBadMan

maybe his specific circle but they definitely did not ban thorn from sweaties

Looking at my game history (42 total) its only been up 4/5 times which is stupid as its by far the best 6v6 mode

Much better we still had the occasional lagger but I don't think they'll ever be able to eradicate that. The other teams may have hated us as our team was UK, US, Singapore and Australia though :d

Good to hear. I am excited to check out Trials this weekend and see how the connections fair.

I said it last night and I'll say it again:

I got booted out of a "strike" on Division during the Boss Fight with an error, and when I logged back into I automatically got put back in.

Destiny NEEDS to add that. Destiny also needs to hold your spot in PvP, whether it's Trials or any matchmade playlist.

--Trials, that spot should be yours for the duration of that match. You should be able to rejoin so long as it's the same character (even if you pick a different character, you're missing at least 1 or 2 crucial rounds, so this part can even be debateable).
--Matchmade, that spot should be yours for maybe a minute so it can't get scooped by a random so quickly.

Or, they can differentiate between leaving manually and getting kicked out, so if you left manually, your spot wouldn't be held for a minute or whatever number seems to be the best to hold it.

I said it last night and I'll say it again:

I got booted out of a "strike" on Division during the Boss Fight with an error, and when I logged back into I automatically got put back in.

Destiny NEEDS to add that.

Destiny also needs to hold your spot in PvP, whether it's Trials or any matchmade playlist.

Trials, that spot should be yours for the duration of that match. You should be able to rejoin so long as it's the same character (even if you pick a different character, you're missing at least 1 or 2 crucial rounds, so this part can even be debateable).

Matchmade, that spot should be yours for maybe a minute so it can't get scooped by a random so quickly.

Or, they can differentiate between leaving manually and getting kicked out, so if you left manually, your spot wouldn't be held for a minute or whatever number seems to be the best to hold it.

That can and will be so easily manipulated.

Top Bottom