• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Yes, because faction packs are the only way to get the new faction armor.

Dude, I totally get it. You said so yourself that you love PvP more than anything. Maybe next weeks stream will have some really good changes to that aspect of the game!

This stream also tells me the focus of the live team is not the meat and potatoes everyone wants from Destiny and I'm ok with that. I am a year round Destiny player. I just really love playing it. Part of that is the game(especially Trials) and part of that is all the amazing people here. I think it's totally ok for people to come back to the game when the have something to be excited about.

As long as they rebuff shotguns, I'll be ok with this update.

Urk ain't my friend and I don't know urk.

My point is that you make valid points, but when you resort to name calling, it actually deters from your legitimate complaints. It makes me (and likely others) want to shrug you off instead of actually engage in a discussion with you. Thus your valid complaints get lost in a sea of person jabs.

I sincerely hope next week that they show a bunch of QoL changes including a massively more generous drop rate. There is no reason to be so miserly with drops.

Oh and I am SUPER excited about the faction Rep Boost! I can finally get the last 4 exotic class items much quicker with the update. I'm pumped.
So happy about all the motes and heavies I dumped into FWC in the past three weeks. :p

Just 11 ranks to go to have all faction exotics though.

Saving the 30 heroic strikes I'll need to do for after the update.

I sincerely hope next week that they show a bunch of QoL changes including a massively more generous drop rate. There is no reason to be so miserly with drops.

There are 16 weeks between now and the next release with no new content.

The new armor sets are purcheasable via Silver, and if those loot rates were fair, they wouldn't sell any.

As much as Bungie says they're fine with us playing other games, they're not fine with us getting everything we want.
GRIND!

My point is that you make valid points, but when you resort to name calling, it actually deters from your legitimate complaints. It makes me (and likely others) want to shrug you off instead of actually engage in a discussion with you. Thus your valid complaints get lost in a sea of person jabs.

The only reason I say that is because that is an odd thing to say from a games company. It's like Microsoft saying they're open to cross platform play, and the only reason they're saying that is not because they really want to be friendly, but because they're getting beat handedly by Sony and therefore they're trying to butter up people.

Urk saying 'go play other games' isn't because he has full confidence in Destiny. It's because he's lost confidence in Destiny, it's not a game that changes and evolves like they spouted before it came out. And if someone who has a hand in making Destiny falters in their own belief of the thing they are working on, then they shouldn't be working on it.

In essence, I don't want to buy bread from a breadmaker who is disillusioned with his own products, because then that bread will be worse off for it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Breezy :)

So happy about all the motes and heavies I dumped into FWC in the past three weeks. :p

Just 11 ranks to go to have all faction exotics though.

Saving the 30 heroic strikes I'll need to do for after the update.

I know right!? Haha oh well! Things change. Hopefully I can get mine done around the same time and we can grind those strikes together. Also, hit me up for some Trials this weekend. I like running with....Icon :p

That makes me happy. Maybe I can finally get those faction exotics.

Heck yeah. They are pretty dope. Save those SC in the meantime.

The only reason I say that is because that is an odd thing to say from a games company. It's like Microsoft saying they're open to cross platform play, and the only reason they're saying that is not because they really want to be friendly, but because they're getting beat handedly by Sony and therefore they're trying to butter up people.

Urk saying 'go play other games' isn't because he has full confidence in Destiny. It's because he's lost confidence in Destiny, it's not a game that changes and evolves like they spouted before it came out. And if someone who has a hand in making Destiny falters in their own belief of the thing they are working on, then they shouldn't be working on it.

In essence, I don't want to buy bread from a breadmaker who is disillusioned with his own products, because then that bread will be worse off for it.

And this entire reply is very well constructed, and I've found myself saying this exact same thing (Seriously, you can find it in my post history here and on reddit).

But somehow, psychologically, the moment you result to name calling, the argument losses it's strength.

And this entire reply is very well constructed, and I've found myself saying this exact same thing (Seriously, you can find it in my post history here and on reddit).

But somehow, psychologically, the moment you result to name calling, the argument losses it's strength.

I'm like the Thorn

I'll hit hard and on point, but what I enjoy the most is the lingering damage my words have. I'll never insult a fellow destiny player, but Bungie devs? They're the ones offering this product, and if we buy this product then we should be assured that they have full faith in it. They're open game as far as I'm concerned.

There are 16 weeks between now and the next release with no new content.

The new armor sets are purcheasable via Silver, and if those loot rates were fair, they wouldn't sell any.

As much as Bungie says they're fine with us playing other games, they're not fine with us getting everything we want.
GRIND!

That might be their way of thinking, but if they want to slow us down they should gate vertical progression, not horizontal. You touch on an odd contradiction in Bungie's design in that why say it's okay for people to leave when you make the drop rates so low that it seems like you're afraid people will leave if they get everything?

That might be their way of thinking, but if they want to slow us down they should gate vertical progression, not horizontal. You touch on an odd contradiction in Bungie's design in that why say it's okay for people to leave when you make the drop rates so low that it seems like you're afraid people will leave if they get everything?

So they stopgap it by selling armor, for players they're afraid of leaving if the drip isn't sufficient and YET want the armor.

So they go halfway with the microtransactions, people who want the armor will probably put down $20, buy a bunch of boxes, play for a couple of weeks, and then leave.

It's a win win situation for them. And the players are the losers with what they're doing.

No, I rejected that concept. Now I am the one calling Bungie losers.

inthrall

I'm like the Thorn

I'll hit hard and on point, but what I enjoy the most is the lingering damage my words have. I'll never insult a fellow destiny player, but Bungie devs? They're the ones offering this product, and if we buy this product then we should be assured that they have full faith in it. They're open game as far as I'm concerned.

This comment makes me think you're the kind of person who treats store clerks with disrespect when they don't have something in stock, it comes across as entitled.

I think I'm most looking forward to the 100% infusion and Y2 Purifier Robes at this moment, this patch will be sweet

NeOak

Wtf Breezy?

What is this fucking BS? Why are you whining? Like, they are fucking cosmetic. Welcome to 2016 games with paid DLC that offer costumes for money. Don't go into MMO OTs or you'll get banned.

You can get 3 pieces weekly, or if you are impatient enough, you can spend money to get them all. So? No one is forcing you to spend money.

Name calling is low. Go post that shit on twitter or reddit. GTFO. You don't like a free update. Keyword: Free.

Then don't play and go join ruthless in his "I'm gonna go play other games in April" BS SOMEWHERE ELSE.

So they stopgap it by selling armor, for players they're afraid of leaving if the drip isn't sufficient and YET want the armor.

So they go halfway with the microtransactions, people who want the armor will probably put down $20, buy a bunch of boxes, play for a couple of weeks, and then leave.

It's a win win situation for them. And the players are the losers with what they're doing.

No, I rejected that concept. Now I am the one calling Bungie losers.

Why are players the losers? Even if you don't pay, it's not exactly hard to get the new gear. And if you pay, it's because you want to and can afford it.

Sounds like a win for players to me

I'm like the Thorn

Ah, so you're the archetypical "telling it like it is guy" who's a total dick to wait staff, shop clerks, etc because "I've spent money here!!!"

This explains a lot about you, actually.

Mindlog

PvE Shotguns are just about right. The previous 100% buff was ridiculous.
Iron Banner, Trials, Unique strike weapons, exotic engrams, Court of Oryx artifacts, PoE Challenge all drop up to 335 weapons.
I wish we could just find out how to decrypt our engrams at 335 instead of some poor sod sacrificing their engrams for us.

I'm 30 engrams deep so I'll definitely be waiting to 335 them all. 100% infusion is much more useful than 150 exotic shards.

Quoting you in regards to your slippery slope comment, not this post in particular.

The only items in the sterling treasure box that your concern holds for are the rep boosters, which are "possible contents." I'll get be you that one. That actually is paying for a better chance of faster progression. All other contents are cosmetic. Yes, even the armor. Here is why:

Regular legendary non-raid armor in destiny simply provide cosmetic differences. They all have the exact same perk sets (or more specifically pull from the same pool of perks.) By setting the light level of these items to 3 when obtained from the box, it makes purchasing them a purely vanity transaction. No matter how much money someone spends on these items, no matter how many helmets, let's say, they obtain, these helmets still need to be infused to become competitively viable. That means that this person needs an equal number of already competively viable helmets to do so. It evens out. They are effectively paying (a ridiculous sum) for a faster way to obtain a different look to their character. To me, that's fine. There is no competitive advantage. The same goes for the chroma, the ships, and the sparrow.

The rep boosters, however, are agregious. In this way, money can be spent to gain faction packages at an increased rate. Faction packages actually give competitively viable gear, so this is where your real concern should lie. Or not. Personally, I don't give a fuck.

This comment makes me think you're the kind of person who treats store clerks with disrespect when they don't have something in stock, it comes across as entitled.

I think I'm most looking forward to the 100% infusion and Y2 Purifier Robes at this moment, this patch will be sweet

Considering I'm a store clerk, no, I'm not entitled lol. If they don't have an item in stock, then I'm not going to bitch because I haven't paid for it. Now, if I paid for a service, and while in retainer of that service it gets arguably worse, then yes a complaint is justified, no? If you buy something at the store and try to return it, and they're complete dicks to you and say 'well too bad we're deciding to change how it works' retroactively affecting previous purchases, there is reason to complain, yes?

Wtf Breezy?

What is this fucking BS? Why are you whining? Like, they are fucking cosmetic. Welcome to 2016 games with paid DLC that offer costumes for money. Don't go into MMO OTs or you'll get banned.

You can get 3 pieces weekly, or if you are impatient enough, you can spend money to get them all. So? No one is forcing you to spend money.

Name calling is low. Go post that shit on twitter or reddit. GTFO. You don't like a free update. Keyword: Free.

Then don't play and go join ruthless in his "I'm gonna go play other games in April" BS SOMEWHERE ELSE.

'Free'. Laden with microtransactions. Is Destiny an F2P game? What's that I have to buy the base game and expansions? What's that, the only way to customize my character further is to pay for MTs? Oh.

"Costumes for money". Did you miss the update? You can use this gear to actually play the game. 'Costumes for money'. These aren't cosmetics, these aren't something you paste over your current armor to get a new look. No, it's not like transmogrification like WoW. It's anything but that.

"You can get 3 pieces weekly". I dunno if you saw the same stream I did, but you have a *Chance* of getting a piece of gear. You can increase your chances by paying real money!

Man I love this free update. Everything is so free. Don't you feel it?

Why are players the losers? Even if you don't pay, it's not exactly hard to get the new gear. And if you pay, it's because you want to and can afford it.

Sounds like a win for players to me

Because they're dripping out these things for players slowly. If someone only plays PvE or PvP for instance, then they only get 2 boxes per week. And the drop rates won't guarantee that you'll get a setpiece one after another. no, that would be too easy. So players are stuck with a slow drip of gear, instead of letting you earn it on your own merit.

Quoting you in regards to your slippery slope comment, not this post in particular.

The only items in the sterling treasure box that your concern holds for are the rep boosters, which are "possible contents." I'll get be you that one. That actually is paying for a better chance of faster progression. All other contents are cosmetic. Yes, even the armor. Here is why:

Regular legendary non-raid armor in destiny simply provide cosmetic differences. They all have the exact same perk sets (or more specifically pull from the same pool of perks.) By setting the light level of these items to 3 when obtained from the box, it makes purchasing them a purely vanity transaction. No matter how much money someone spends on these items, no matter how many helmets, let's say, they obtain, these helmets still need to be infused to become competitively viable. That means that this person needs an equal number of already competively viable helmets to do so. It evens out. They are effectively paying (a ridiculous sum) for a faster way to obtain a different look to their character. To me, that's fine. There is no competitive advantage. The same goes for the chroma, the ships, and the sparrow.

The rep boosters, however, are agregious. In this way, money can be spent to gain faction packages at an increased rate. Faction packages actually give competitively viable gear, so this is where your real concern should lie. Or not. Personally, I don't give a fuck.

That's a good point. But personally to me, Destiny is about the loot. I can be competitive with the shittiest armor, but to me what matters is being able to customize my character how I want. That is what Destiny was supposed to be about, no? About being able to tell the story about the piece of gear got? Which vidoc was it where they mentioned making a story with your Guardian? I forget...

....how riveting it will be to tell a story in year 4. "How did you get your armor?" "Oh I just paid money for it."

My thoughts:

The good:
  • Year 1 Legendaries back = Nice. However, I'm curious to see what the perk pool is. As Frenden said, if it's just year 2 perks, then it's the same gun as the year 2 archetypes just different name, and that'll be disappointing.
  • More vault space is always very welcoming.
  • 100% infusion is FANTASTIC. Best change so far.

The Meh:

• Only 4 colors of chromas and you have to roll them. Not exciting for me. I'm more of a content guy at this point.

The Super Meh:

• BUYING ARMOR. This slope continues to be more slippery. I mean at this point, you might as well make Trading a thing, honestly.
  • Only updating KF light drop range, and not the actual drops (not 100% confirmed but sure sounds like it). Crappy raid weapons still crappy.
  • Year 1 legendaries only through engrams. Like VENDORS need to change stock once a week or something!!!!! Also, Cryptarch needs to sell engrams for much cheaper than 135+ marks. 75 marks sounds better.

I really need to know what subclass/sandbox changes there will be for PvP next week! Lucky raspberry would be exciting if arcbolts were viable again.

hadar

"You can get 3 pieces weekly". I dunno if you saw the same stream I did, but you have a *Chance* of getting a piece of gear. You can increase your chances by paying real money!

You actually have one piece guaranteed from what I saw, it's the bond/mark/cloak, rep boost and chroma that is random.

Daemul

popcorn-blank.gif

Deku Tree

I would be more excited if they updated Vault of Glass to LL 330 drops. Tried of KF at this point. Bungie hasn't said anything so far that makes me want to log into Destiny again.

You actually have one piece guaranteed from what I saw, it's the bond/mark/cloak, rep boost and chroma that is random.

We'll see how the pool works. For SRL Sparrows, you were guaranteed one you didn't have yet. Considering perk rolls, I'm willing to bet you wont' get gear pieces one after the other. So there will possibly be duplicates, I imagine.

th3dude

Considering I'm a store clerk, no, I'm not entitled lol. If they don't have an item in stock, then I'm not going to bitch because I haven't paid for it. Now, if I paid for a service, and while in retainer of that service it gets arguably worse, then yes a complaint is justified, no? If you buy something at the store and try to return it, and they're complete dicks to you and say 'well too bad we're deciding to change how it works' retroactively affecting previous purchases, there is reason to complain, yes?

'Free'. Laden with microtransactions. Is Destiny an F2P game? What's that I have to buy the base game and expansions? What's that, the only way to customize my character further is to pay for MTs? Oh.

"Costumes for money". Did you miss the update? You can use this gear to actually play the game. 'Costumes for money'. These aren't cosmetics, these aren't something you paste over your current armor to get a new look. No, it's not like transmogrification like WoW. It's anything but that.

Because they're dripping out these things for players slowly. If someone only plays PvE or PvP for instance, then they only get 2 boxes per week. And the drop rates won't guarantee that you'll get a setpiece one after another. no, that would be too easy. So players are stuck with a slow drip of gear, instead of letting you earn it on your own merit.

That's a good point. But personally to me, Destiny is about the loot. I can be competitive with the shittiest armor, but to me what matters is being able to customize my character how I want. That is what Destiny was supposed to be about, no? About being able to tell the story about the piece of gear got? Which vidoc was it where they mentioned making a story with your Guardian? I forget...

....how riveting it will be to tell a story in year 4. "How did you get your armor?" "Oh I just paid money for it."

Not really taking sides here, just want to set some facts straight: 1 gear piece is guaranteed per box. Granted, class items are 'possible'.

NeOak

Ok, then enjoy the light level 3 gear your money can get you. I'm sure you'll be able to do KF CM no problem with that, right?

It is pretty much transmogrification because without the piece of gear you use to infuse, the cosmetic is useless except in Crucible with 0 stats.

And no, if you are an impatient ass, then yeah, you spend money. What is stopping you from being patient and wait?

I'm sure as hell you've seen a lot of people with SRL gear doing stuff with that awesome 3LL. I haven't. I even threw that shit into my vault.

You really don't get sarcasm, do you?
Was it? Didn't sound like it.

Dthomp

Alright gaf, what am I looking for on a good Finnala's Peril roll?

Just got 1 with Hot Swap / Snapshot-Smallbore-Injection Mold/Icarus

Ok, then enjoy the light level 3 gear your money can get you. I'm sure you'll be able to do KF CM no problem with that, right?

It is pretty much transmogrification because without the piece of gear you use to infuse, the cosmetic is useless expect in Crucible with 0 stats.

And no, if you are an impatient ass, then yeah, you spend money. What is stopping you from being patient and wait?

I sure as hell you've seen a lot of people with SRL gear doing stuff with that awesome 3LL. I haven't. I even threw that shit into my vault.

I've already done KF CM multiple times ;) Now I get to simply buy the new gear from the new update and immediately have it at max. Isn't that cool? I can just buy the carrot on the stick. I can just buy the loot in the loot game without having to earn it. Isn't it the coolest?

This is true with regard to the chances of getting the full sets.

And it's worrying. In a game with RNG on top of RNG, being able to spend money for RNG will trigger those dopamines. That's why it's a box and they don't sell it independently. It's like the rush you get from opening a pack of cards, it will make you want to buy more packs for that feeling.

It's disgusting.

Mindlog

The bookies have decided to count chroma as a currency. Everyone who bet the over wins.
I'm really disappointed with this more than anything. I've leveled the hell out of some factions for gear with no luck. They'll never buff faction gains back to where they should be now because stacked with the purchased buff it would be way too easy.

Instead just like with the subclasses we're stuck with a neutered unfun trudge that happens to have a real money bridge.

Top Bottom