• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

The game is doing some kind of automatic matchmaking when you get to that part which makes me wonder if this is going to happen throughout the SP/Campaign when the firefights really ramp up a bit. Notice as soon as it's over and you leave that area that those other players are gone?

Yeah, it does the thing that happens during patrols where your instance changes when you switch areas. I really hope more stuff like that happens throughout the campaign. Having dynamic matchmaking mid-mission like that is going to be really cool, especially in the early days where we're all doing story missions at the same time. It's a cool mixture of a campaign mission and the public events in patrols.

Played through the strike too, I liked it well enough but I've seen it played through a couple of times in pre-release footage already so it didn't have the same impact the story mission did for me. I figure I'll play a little bit of the multiplayer just to see what's what, but that was never my focus in the original game apart from going for Iron Banner rewards. Hoping there's more stuff like that in this game.

Edit:

is there anyway to replay the story mission?

Apart from starting a new character, no, not that I can tell.

Dineren

Banned
I really like the idea of the public event section of the story mission, but it felt way too easy and was over too fast for me. I wish they had ramped up the difficulty a bit more in that section.

Quick thoughts on D2 Beta:

Shooting/primary, no nade+melee spam / 1 hit kill / LiTC feels GREAT.

Movement is sooooooooo slow :( I was hoping it would still feel good knowing it's slow and how good the primary game is but so far, not a good PvP impression ;(

ramyeon

Crucible seems to encourage teaming up and working together much more than D1's did, at least from my experience with it over the past month or two.

Time to kill is greatly increased, and if you get outnumbered you're pretty much done for.

GlamFM

Banned
Just played homecoming again after reading some of the more elaborate posts about combat readability and gun feel - just to check again.

I disagree. The game is very flashy, and it's a lot to take in at first, but once you adjust and get comfortable it feels just the same.

Great.

I think I had enough of the beta. Back to OG for the time being.

Yeah, no leveling/progression, no exploration, etc really makes this just a glorified demo which is fine to an extent but a game about character building/progression really makes this experience a bit stale, however, I'm still just as excited for the full release as ever even though I have more concerns about PvE, locked weapon perks/weapon mods, cooldowns, etc than ever before after the small taste in this "Beta."

broony

No idea what the change actually is but the gunplay felt weird at first. But, I've acclimatised to is and it feels just as good after an hour or so. Looks amazing on PS4 pro 4k. Favourite bit so far has been doing a 180 at the start of the strike and going exploring. Really looking forward to patrol on release. The fallen look so badass now.

Yeah, no leveling/progression, no exploration, etc really makes this just a glorified demo which is fine to an extent but a game about character building/progression really makes this experience a bit stale, however, I'm still just as excited for the full release as ever even though I have more concerns about PvE, locked weapon perks/weapon mods, cooldowns, etc than ever before after the small taste in this "Beta."

Wait, there's no patrol like the D1 beta?

....that doesn't bode well if they're afraid of showing atleast a small section of the patrol section. After all they showed all of Earth in the first beta

ramyeon

....that doesn't bode well if they're afraid of showing atleast a small section of the patrol section. After all they showed all of Earth in the first beta
Not making it playable in the beta means they're afraid of showing it?

Not making it playable in the beta means they're afraid of showing it?

like I said

last time they showed it it was all of earth and we found out earth was 5 missions and well. I imagine even if they showed a small section, people would be able to extrapolate how big earth is and complain about it.(I don't expect it to be big)

Ramirez

They said in the podcast they showed too much last beta, and they did. Urk said further in the podcast that they totally feel they have a shit ton of stuff to do this go around for the people who say the first game lacked content on launch.

Luke like's keeping stuff a surprise, and I'm glad they were able to convince marketing to not spoil everything, we're only a month and change away.

They said in the podcast they showed too much last beta, and they did. Urk said further in the podcast that they totally feel they have a shit ton of stuff to do this go around for the people who say the first game lacked content on launch.

Luke like's keeping stuff a surprise, and I'm glad they were able to convince marketing to not spoil everything, we're only a month and change away.

I hope so

this time around I'ma wait and see how the content and end game is before I fully hop in. On PC mostly >_>

Bungie said on their latest podcast (and this isn't much of a paraphrase) that they don't really give a shit if you think they're hiding things that aren't included in the beta— that they're happy for you to wait a week or two after release until you hear how awesome the full game is.

Bizazedo

Bungie said on their latest podcast (and this isn't much of a paraphrase) that they don't really give a shit if you think they're hiding things that aren't included in the beta— that they're happy for you to wait a week or two after release until you hear how awesome the full game is.

I don't think they're hiding anything, but I did think the mission wasn't as good as I was led to believe.

Zavala does jack shit and it's more dangerous to run to him when he says TO ME! and pops the bubble than to just stay away.

Lnkn52

From Gary's:

Homecoming felt like Destiny 2 the rollercoaster ride.

Especially the area with Zhavala, match making would rotate blue berries lol.

Still fun though and it looks amazing!

Dineren

Banned
I'm really not liking the 4v4 in Crucible. Pretty much confirmed what I was worried about this evening, when I'm playing with my friend and we're half the team, we're probably going to lose. I'll give it some more time this week, but I'm pretty disappointed.

WAT? Is that how it works now? I had no idea.

Yeah, you hold for Ward of Dawn and press L1+R1 as you would normally for the Shield Super.

Edit: And I'm still shocked that this is actually a thing that only the Titan can do in effectively having two Super options at the same time especially considering all the changes Bungie has implemented in an effort to balance the game across the board.

Trakan

Everything I read about that worried me is worse than I imagined now playing the game. Guns don't feel satisfying like D1 Y1, everything feels weak, ability nerfs, cooldowns, power ammo damage/scarcity, the list goes on and on.

zewone

I'm underwhelmed at best.

The difference in visual quality from the PC version is a way larger than I expected.

Gunplay doesn't feel nearly as tight as Destiny 1. I never really have a sense of when my shots are landing or not in this beta for some reason. I think the damage text is not prominent enough. The only way I can tell my shots are connecting or not is just staring at the opponents life bar, which doesn't help when I'm trying to aim.

Spawns are awful in Control. It's possible it's just because the map is incredibly small while also being incredibly dull and awful. It's a small wonder.

Drop RNG is typical. Garbage. I got so many duplicate. The last 3 games I got the same shotgun. I had to turn the console off. I've still yet to get an auto rifle, pulse rifle, or scout rifle to drop. I did get one hand cannon to drop, which of course was a duplicate of the gun I was given in the beginning.

Not a great impression. The retail game would need to improve a number of things to keep my attention. I've already preordered, so what does Bungie care about my opinion though.

EDIT: I did like the Search & Destroy gametype and map.

EDIT 2: Oh and the cooldown timers are excruciatingly slow. Not fun.

Ryck

Everything I read about that worried me is worse than I imagined now playing the game. Guns don't feel satisfying like D1 Y1, everything feels weak, ability nerfs, cooldowns, power ammo damage/scarcity, the list goes on and on.
Pretty much how I am feeling. Also The new strike felt like such a chore. After two wipes I was over it. My buddy even said "this isn't fun it's painful" I was already worried before playing the Beta now I'm feeling even worse. -_-

Cj01

My friend pre ordered through Game stop and got a code to recover another code through destinys website for the beta so now he has Destiny 2 Beta app on the xbox

I bought the game digitally and I dont have anything but the app that says Destiny 2 game. Where do I get the beta app?

My friend pre ordered through Game stop and got a code to recover another code through destinys website for the beta so now he has Destiny 2 Beta app on the xbox

I bought the game digitally and I dont have anything but the app that says Destiny 2 game. Where do I get the beta app?

Search for "Destiny 2 Beta" on the Xbox Store and download it. It is automatically activated on the account in which you bought it digitally.

Dave_6

IMO it looks fantastic on my OLED with the Pro. Pretty big visual jump over D1.

I enjoyed the Homecoming mission and the strike. Played a handful of PvP matches then that was it for me, lol. Way too rusty for that.

Dineren

Banned
Why is this?

I assume our tactics are terrible. Individually we tend to do okay score wise, but we completely fall apart when we are the majority of a team. When trials first came out we lost something like 90 games in a row, I'd be shocked if we didn't set a record of some kind. I'll admit I don't really like serious multiplayer, but even when we try to take it seriously it doesn't work out.

At least with 6v6 I could do the occasional bounty and have fun, 4v4 seems like it's going to be a nightmare for me. I'll probably just end up skipping them.

radiohead1

Neo Member
I'm really surprised by all the negativity. I think it is because I'm an "average" player. I like that PvP has slowed down a bit, and have had a better showing in PvP than I ever did before. This game still feels like Destiny to me, except it looks way better on my 4k TV with my pro. The lighting and particle effects pop like nothing in D1. I'm having a blast and can't wait for the full release!

Dineren

Banned
I'm really surprised by all the negativity. I think it is because I'm an "average" player. I like that PvP has slowed down a bit, and have had a better showing in PvP than I ever did before. This game still feels like Destiny to me, except it looks way better on my 4k TV with my pro. The lighting and particle effects pop like nothing in D1. I'm having a blast and can't wait for the full release!

Aside from the multiplayer I've really enjoyed the beta. I think the campaign is going to be great this time around and I enjoyed playing through the strike. I'm just disappointed that I am going to have a much rougher time doing quests that require the crucible with my friends. I'm also a bit disappointed about the weapon slots, but I can live with that.

Top Bottom