• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

Redford

aka Cabbie
Did somebody link these here already? Apologize if so.
zF6mqqY.gif

I'm curious as to why they chose to show animated concept art. That sort of thing is usually done as a pitch as opposed to a revealing AFAIK

Presumably that's a vex, and we'll be killing it? Awesome.

Also it's you, howdy.

Did somebody link these here already? Apologize if so. These are from irishfreak

zF6mqqY.gif

j5Jrtr7.gif

zCpDwFh.gif

jrNACS2.gif

i2gQRDG.gif

(will leave these as urls so it loads better)

http://i.imgur.com/Xy1p8G2.gif
http://i.imgur.com/byVvCyF.gif
http://i.imgur.com/bzE777c.gif
http://i.imgur.com/7nC7YXo.gif
http://i.imgur.com/QGPE5dc.gif
http://i.imgur.com/3kyRWQD.gif
http://i.imgur.com/N7eKmLl.gif
http://i.imgur.com/0P2b4Zf.gif

I'm curious as to why they chose to show animated concept art. That sort of thing is usually done as a pitch as opposed to a revealing AFAIK

What little in-game stuff they have shown looks pretty darn amazing.
Love that it's not "gritty" brown.

Burt

So, everyone in the future wears masks? This isn't Halo anymore, Bungie. Feel free to let us have an actual face.

-PXG-

So Diablo 3 meets Halo Reach with a touch of Killzone and Chromehounds.

Eh....

The visuals are not doing it for me. Persistent online connection stuff is intriguing and worrisome at the same time. Activision too...no thanks.

Sanic

I just hope these 5+ years of dev have been spent on content.

I always got the impression that we were going to be seeing an unprecedented level of things to see/do in this game, and seeing what has been revelaed of the gameplay so far reinforces that. The fundamentals of Halo/FPS Generica are still there, so if we only get Borderland++ and it's MMO hub world friend, i'll be dissapointed. The fundamentals of what they seem to be hinting at have been laid by others before. We need something more than that plus "hey it's Bungie!"

I LOVE Bungie but Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 had a better reveal....
Still not exactly sure what Destiny will be like to play but Im looking forward to it.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, this was a pretty terrible reveal. I woke up at 7pm after my graveyard shift and expected just a flood of info to keep me going for a few hours.

Instead we got a handful of bullet points.

Decreased my hype a bit to be honest.

RoKKeR

Yeah, this was a pretty terrible reveal. I woke up at 7pm after my graveyard shift and expected just a flood of info to keep me going for a few hours.

Instead we got a handful of bullet points.

Decreased my hype a bit to be honest.
The meaning of reveal I believe has been lost to many.

This is more information than a majority of game's get for a reveal.

NeededSleep

Just woke up from a nap. Anyone see the contract agreement they posted between Bungie and Activision over at Joystiq?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/17/destiny-what-we-know-now-vs-details-in-the-activision-bungie-con/

Looks like it was built around the 360 version.

Also deadlines for content expansion, and dlc expansions.

kinda old though, contract was written in 2010, though they posted it today. I'm sure the contract has been modified since then.

Still kinda neat we can see what the game has in store for the future of it.

Mikey Jr.

With the way they were hyping it, I was expecting more. Specifically, gameplay. Like, you can actually see the game, not talk about what the game plays like.

Well, whatever. Guaranteed this will happen:

Microsoft E3

First thing shown?

Destiny mission being played.

RoKKeR

Finally found a hi-res version of that Fallen poster. Avatar'ed.

With the way they were hyping it, I was expecting more. Specifically, gameplay. Like, you can actually see the game, not talk about what the game plays like.

Well, whatever. Guaranteed this will happen:

Microsoft E3

First thing shown?

Destiny mission being played.
That depends on whether or not Microsoft has shelled out cash to Bungie/Activision for next gen release exclusivity. (Durango gets Destiny before Orbis)

It's a shame most of the interesting info was published early in the IGN video. I think more people would have liked the reveal if they hadn't seen all the concept arts before.

Did somebody link these here already? Apologize if so. These are from irishfreak

zF6mqqY.gif

This reminds me a lot of Mass Effect, and it looks like a visually boosted Reach engine and art style. I have mixed feelings about the visuals, but Im mostly leaning underwhelmed.

The art and design however still looks fantastic.

Why go completely silent for two years and some change only to break said silence with a whimper?

The whole thing, including flying journalists out to Washington to give them a powerpoint presentation, seems like something of a misplay on Bungie's part.

I'm tempted to agree with Jeff Gerstmann's suspicion that maybe something was held back at the last minute.

Mikey Jr.

Finally found a hi-res version of that Fallen poster. Avatar'ed.

That depends on whether or not Microsoft has shelled out cash to Bungie/Activision for next gen release exclusivity. (Durango gets Destiny before Orbis)

Ohh man, that would blow. I was hoping to start this game on the PS4.

RoKKeR

Ohh man, that would blow. I was hoping to start this game on the PS4.

It'll be interesting to see if that old contract holds up. Obviously the info about it being an Xbox 360 exclusive has changed, so I wonder what else has.

Personally, I'd prefer a simultaneous releas on Durango/Orbis/PC. Everybody wins.

This reminds me a lot of Mass Effect, and it looks like a visually boosted Reach engine and art style. I have mixed feelings about the visuals, but Im mostly leaning underwhelmed.

That's the same color palette as ONI Sword Base so I can see where you made the connection.

if they don't (which i doubt would happen) do a next gen version of destiny for the first game, i hope they at least have the 360/ps3 version that can be played on the next consoles. because i intend to sell my ps3, 360 and my games to be able to fund the new stuff and i wouldn't want to miss out or fall behind with the destiny experience because i'm wanting to be an early adopter.

i hope they show some big stuff on this at e3. this could be the funnest e3 in the last 3-4 years. it's been boring for some time now.

if they don't (which i doubt would happen) do a next gen version of destiny for the first game, i hope they at least have the 360/ps3 version that can be played on the next consoles. because i intend to sell my ps3, 360 and my games to be able to fund the new stuff and i wouldn't want to miss out or fall behind with the destiny experience because i'm wanting to be an early adopter.

i hope they show some big stuff on this at e3. this could be the funnest e3 in the last 3-4 years. it's been boring for some time now.

I'd hope the next gen doesn't do away with backwards compatibility. maybe there could be an update on the next gen that would allow you to play your xbox360/ps3 version? Or perhaps you can upgrade to the next gen digitally by only paying the difference between the new gen and old gen version?

I'm just spitballing since this is an odd circumstance.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

the real time of day makes it vastly superior to reach. just look at the lighting on the sphere and the shadows. pretty sweet

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
That was so underwhelming. Why even hype something like this if you have next to nothing to show. Waste of everyone's time.

DEADEVIL

Loved it. They showed enough to wet my appetite. The haters will whine about online while forgetting about all the game that were tagger 'online' this gen.

If anyone can pull it off successfully it'll be Bungie.

I'm there day one, just wondering is this going to be for next gen at launch.

Sallokin

I suppose they've revealed key info far enough in advance that I can prepare for my launch day meltdown if the servers don't work like they should.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh dear, I've missed a lot. Time to start digging through the thread.

What's been the general consensus on GAF outside of PC players turning hype into venom when they realized their platform wouldn't get the game?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Saw the videos. It reminds me of PlanetSide 2.

Edit: Always online with no SP campaign as I feared...pass.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Doesnt even remotely do the concept art justice. Bungie being being the curve revealed for all to see, really.

It just looks... off. Animation also looks pretty hokey.

RoKKeR

What's been the general consensus on GAF outside of PC players turning hype into venom when they realized their platform wouldn't get the game?

Everybody's pissed they didn't reveal more. More. MORE!

Everybody's pissed they didn't talk about the next gen versions.

Everybody's pissed because it's always online.

Everybody's pissed.

zvD3g.gif

This is partially accurate, with a sprinkle of hyperbole.

rdrr gnr

That it was a lackluster reveal for such hype.

Top Bottom