• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: The Taken King - Year 2 Reveal - Stream (Summary in OP)

Klyka

Banned
I might have asked this somewhere, but it would have been months ago, and I've forgotten -- but anyway; I stopped playing Destiny before the first expansion, I was playing a physical copy of the PS3 version, I no longer have that physical copy. I plan on buying the new physical release of the PS4 version of the game (which comes with The Dark Below, House of Wolves, and The Taken King). What will carry over from my PS3 character? Anything? Will I need to go through a process to retrieve that gear/character?

As far as I am aware, your character and everything you have on him is stored on the Bungie servers and if you log into your new PS4 with your PSn account you've been using on the PS3 to play Destiny, your character and everything will be right there :)

jond76

Banned
So if I'm gonna start a new character to play through from the start, should I create him now and grab the free lvl up upon release? Or should I just wait.

Jito

Banned
Disappointed the Speaker still looks like a static vendor. He's meant to be a really important character in the universe yet stands around selling Ghost shells. Hopefully he's got a bigger part in TTK and the future of the game, along with all the characters in the universe.

Glad were switching over to a normal levelling system as well. Fuck light levels, what a stupid idea.

What is it then? Classify it for me.
Ive had a discussion last year about this topic on destiny being an mmo with some research with it, that i had found what makes a mmo, a MMO. I wish i could find that info again. But i aint gonna dig for it again.

The reseach ive found has brought to my attention three main characteristics that every mmo has, that classifies it as a mmo. Things like raids and leveling is not a mmo feature. Its an rpg feature. Which why games like WOW are classified as mmorpg. Since there are other mmos like some phone games and pc games like need for speed world, which are classified as mmo, but yet they dont have any of the same features with other games classified as mmo like vindictus.

The three characteristics, from my own findings, that every game i came across with mmo as a genre, had in common regardless of genre, were

Massive - the high amount of players that can occupy and interact with each other in a single instance. Player count being around 100 or more.

Multiplayer - game can only be played in multiple mode.

Online - the game can not be played offline.

I found these three characteristics in every game claiming to be an mmo.
Games that are claimed as mmo that came before wow didnt have wow features like raids and such but they were mmos. But wow is the most influential since it was the most successful. Wow features are those of rpg background. Not the mmo genre itself.

In the case of destiny. Its a online multiplayer game with features of a mmorpg. But it doesnt have the capacity to host massive amounts of players in a single instance. Were talking 100 or so players. Destiny can only hold under 20 players in the same insrance. If people are going to call destiny a mmo because of its features like always being online and having social features and raids and leveling up with friends. Then borderlands fall in that caterglory and other games like dark souls.

From MY FINDINGS, destiny isnt exactly an mmo because it meets two of the three mmo characteristics ive seen in other similar games like defiance. Its like a half breed. A class or genre of its own like warframe or phantasy universe on xbox360. I just call it a online multiple game. Like dragons dogma online or so. But thats just my opinion since there is no official or stardardized way to classify a game what it is. People can just say what they want.

hamchan

Collections for all the stuff you get is the addition I most like. The endgame is pretty much just trying to collect everything, so making that easier to organize and keep track of is great.

So if I'm gonna start a new character to play through from the start, should I create him now and grab the free lvl up upon release? Or should I just wait.

all accounts get a one-time use for a free level up to 25, so it doesn't matter when you make your new character if you plan to use it.

border

Disappointed the Speaker still looks like a static vendor. He's meant to be a really important character in the universe yet stands around selling Ghost shells. Hopefully he's got a bigger part in TTK and the future of the game, along with all the characters in the universe.

Considering that he's voiced by an expensive and difficult to book actor, I don't think The Speaker is going to be doing much in the future.

Unless they replace him with Nolan North. Or perhaps Troy Baker.

Jito

Banned
Finally, new bounties! It only took a year to get there. I thought things like bounties would be changing weekly or monthly based on the original info for Destiny. Hopefully we'll get that in Destiny 2. Got so tired of doing the same bounties over and over again.

Considering that he's voiced by an expensive and difficult to book actor, I don't think The Speaker is going to be doing much in the future.

Unless they replace him with Nolan North. Or perhaps Troy Baker.

Bungie need to be re casting everyone then seeing as most characters are voiced by big actors. It's not that smart to cast important characters with actors you can't afford to get back. Nolan North will be voicing everyone by Destiny 2.

Zemm

It sounds like a lot of the matchmaking/lfg complaints would disappear if they made clans an actual social place? Like in WoW or Final Fantasy 14, where people can sit and talk to each other and organise raids and pvp very easily, where newer players can join and ask questions/get help.

Troy

Banned
It sounds like a lot of the matchmaking/lfg complaints would disappear if they made clans an actual social place? Like in WoW or Final Fantasy 14, where people can sit and talk to each other and organise raids and pvp very easily, where newer players can join and ask questions/get help.

Or just allow people to actually communicate in the game. It's an MMO-lite with an absolutely useless clan system and no LFG channel. It's ridiculous that none of this appears to be getting addressed a year after it released. I love the game, but the incompetence surrounding the lack of LFG is just mind-boggling.

Mupod

Bungie and many other console devs are for some reason utterly terrified of in-game text chat as a concept. A PSO-style tower chat, LFG channels, world/area channels, guild channels would all benefit the game immensely and are not practical with voice chat.

Considering their current stance is to force people to use external forums for grouping, it's not like they are concerned with maintaining the sanctity of couch gaming or whatever silly argument I usually get against keyboard communication.

One solution might be to include a simple LFG tool for clan members. For example you could post a 'room' with a descriptor of say 'VoG HM any can join' and it would show all clan members currently in the fireteam. But it'd be really cool if they took the Warframe route and gave clans their own space to customize and hang out in, wouldn't be hard to do it way better than Warframe too.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I might have asked this somewhere, but it would have been months ago, and I've forgotten -- but anyway; I stopped playing Destiny before the first expansion, I was playing a physical copy of the PS3 version, I no longer have that physical copy. I plan on buying the new physical release of the PS4 version of the game (which comes with The Dark Below, House of Wolves, and The Taken King). What will carry over from my PS3 character? Anything? Will I need to go through a process to retrieve that gear/character?
I think so, yes. Just cross generation is fine. Cross companies doesn't work.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How odd to do scenes and conversations with yourself. I nominate Steven Blum for everything but Ghost. Especially to take over Cayde-6's voice.

How you gonna hate on Fillion? He's like the only one out of all the original voice actors that I actually trust to give a shit about his performance in a video game.

GhaleonEB

Have they improved loading times at all? Going back and forth between the hub place was so annoying

It's both loading and matchmaking happening in the transitions between destinations. Hasn't gotten faster, but they have made it so you won't be running back to the tower so often (remote inventory management, turn in bounties from the quest menu).

Klyka

Banned
Have they improved loading times at all? Going back and forth between the hub place was so annoying

It's matchmaking,not loading.
The actual loading times of the game are quite quick,you can see this when you do stuff where it doesn't have to matchmake you.
But once it has to try and throw you into the same instance as others,it can take a while.

spectator

It's matchmaking,not loading.
The actual loading times of the game are quite quick,you can see this when you do stuff where it doesn't have to matchmake you.
But once it has to try and throw you into the same instance as others,it can take a while.

This is why I've always thought the limited-to-near-non-existence communication in the tower is ridiculous. You have to wait forever to be be instanced in with a bunch of players just so that you'll be able to dance next to them, when all you want to do is grab something from your vault.

WeTeHa

So... does the new "light level" actually influence anything or is just a simple representation of your strength?

macewank

So... does the new "light level" actually influence anything or is just a simple representation of your strength?

light level is going to be a representation of your attack power and defense. gear will still have light rating, it just isn't directly tied to your level anymore.

think of it as a new stat.

missions may have recommended (not required) light level ratings to help players know where they should try to be when they start the mission.

Walshicus

From MY FINDINGS, destiny isnt exactly an mmo because it meets two of the three mmo characteristics ive seen in other similar games like defiance. Its like a half breed. A class or genre of its own like warframe or phantasy universe on xbox360. I just call it a online multiple game. Like dragons dogma online or so. But thats just my opinion since there is no official or stardardized way to classify a game what it is. People can just say what they want.

"Moderately multiplayer online game".

I have had more problems playing Weekly Heroic Strikes with randoms over a one month period with (in-game) matchmaking than I have almost the entire year playing Raids and Nightfalls with (off-site) matchmaking.

It makes a legitimate difference to play with people who have to do more than push a single button to get it started. It really, really does.

FyreWulff

The new marks / armor mats means you can now alt more easily and with less hitting a wall once you decide to not play your main.

Before the game was all 'alright, you can stop playing now.. unleeeessss you want to play your other alts'. Now you can buy and level up your alts based off the activity of your main, and when you go to an alt, you just use the marks to buy stuff without having to re-get armor mats and marks.

Now you actually will want to spend the marks, and they'll also rain on you if the payouts are anything like they are now.

Stantron

There should be Raid Collections just like there are Exotic collections. Except don't put them in a kiosk. It'd be cool to open a VoG Batman closet and see your full VOG armor set with all VOG weapons stacked on the left and right. Same with CE and PoE.

There should be Class Mark Collections too.

Top Bottom