• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: The Taken King - Year 2 Reveal - Stream (Summary in OP)

So my Destiny disc stopped working a couple of months after purchase (Xbone). If I buy The Taken King - Digital Collector's Edition, I'm assuming I get the digital download of Destiny in that bundle and I can therefore not worry about a disc.

Yes?

ruxtpin

Banned
I've got the new PS4 Destiny bundle pre-ordered. I think I dropped Destiny right around level 24-26 last year, right when the Osiris mission came out. Should I have a hard time getting back up to speed?

KyleP29

excellent - wondering whether I'll need to uninstall the original though. Probably yes, just to be safe.

When i switched from physical to digital i didn't need to. It did a quick install/verification of the game and both DLC to see what i had installed already and i was playing again very quickly

Two Words

The only thing I didn't like in the stream was the black Suros. I really like the white model better. Shame they can't just upgrade the stats and leave the look of the weapon alone.

Yeah, I like the original Suros look. I even tried to make a weapon in Warframe look like it :p

3u21oBc.jpg

Anastasis

I've got the new PS4 Destiny bundle pre-ordered. I think I dropped Destiny right around level 24-26 last year, right when the Osiris mission came out. Should I have a hard time getting back up to speed?

Absolutely not. In fact, they announced a consumable that jumps people up from level one to level 25 so they can jump into the Taken King content right away (starts at level 25).

Yeah, I like the original Suros look. I even tried to make a weapon in Warframe look like it :p

Soma and its Prime are the most beautiful rifle in any game I've played. And that sound my god that sound. So glad they doubled its magazine on the prime so I can get more eargasm during my powertrip clearning entire corridors

ruxtpin

Banned
Absolutely not. In fact, they announced a consumable that jumps people up from level one to level 25 so they can jump into the Taken King content right away (starts at level 25).

Sweet. I kept getting royally screwed by the RNG, gave up and told myself I would come back once Bungie cleaned up their game. I really liked the stickiness of the core gameplay, but couldn't stomach other aspects.

Pretty interesting stuff. Hopefully Gjallarhorn doesn't fall by the wayside and not get an upgrade. It's easily the fanciest looking weapon in the game. There was a Y2 Truth but they wouldn't scroll over it.

ChanMan

Sweet. I kept getting royally screwed by the RNG, gave up and told myself I would come back once Bungie cleaned up their game. I really liked the stickiness of the core gameplay, but couldn't stomach other aspects.

That was my issue as well, but I will have to jump back in....eventually.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just logged in and went to check my mail, and this was in there:

0RihL8L.jpg

Are we supposed to get free legendaries? Thanks Blizzard.

Yeah, I got one too. Same pulse rifle in fact. Not useful to me, but still odd.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Not sure why people are so obsessed with matchmaking. There are so many ways to get groups.

I can get a group for any end game content in less than 5 mins on destinylfg.net. And if you don't want to use that there are tonnes of other resources. Here on gaf, r/fireteams etc.

You don't want to be grouped up with random people. Most people are unbelievably bad at games.

It's a byproduct of the total lack of social features in game. Destinylfg is not a solution. The game needs raid lobbies for building teams and a way to talk to other players.

The game doesn't have anything like that, so matchmaking is the "well at least give us that".

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Not sure why people are so obsessed with matchmaking. There are so many ways to get groups.

I can get a group for any end game content in less than 5 mins on destinylfg.net. And if you don't want to use that there are tonnes of other resources. Here on gaf, r/fireteams etc.

You don't want to be grouped up with random people. Most people are unbelievably bad at games.
I cannot believe you would advocate for the use of an LFG website and right below it say you don't want to be grouped up with random people. I can't believe what I'm reading.

Mindlog

Similarly there are some great third party apps to manage your inventory, but Bungie shouldn't be relying on third party apps to manage your inventory.

thetrin

Is there an archive of the stream, btw? It was in the middle of the night for me.

Well, we can play the game and know what it really is. Whether the devs want to be in denial about it or not is kind of irrelevant.

Why would I need to read minds? Aside from lfg features (which can be found in the form of Websites, which sucks btw) destiny has all the makings of an mmo. Bungie and others saying otherwise doesn't change the fact that the majority of mechanics, ideas, and systems are found in many different MMOs. Catherine has platforming elements incorporated into its puzzles. That doesn't mean the game isn't a platformer nor a puzzle game, It can be both, or are you gonna tell me otherwise?

To me, it's not an MMO. Sorry guys.

Wallach

It's a byproduct of the total lack of social features in game. Destinylfg is not a solution. The game needs raid lobbies for building teams and a way to talk to other players.

The game doesn't have anything like that, so matchmaking is the "well at least give us that".

At a minimum they really need to make clans less worthless; the entire clan system boils down to a line of text on your emblem once you actually get in the game. It is bizarre to me how little focus seems to be given to what is generally a foundation of player social interaction in MMOs. People should want to be in clans precisely to help find other players for activities.

The focus on matchmaking is more of a symptom of the core problem, which is that this game has some of the worst social interaction tools of any online game I've ever come across. Players want matchmaking because it is so hard for them to reach out and find other players even if they want to. Not just for raids but for any activity in the game. Matchmaking is the only system already in game that effectively does this for them, so its absence in other modes is like putting out the only candle in the room.

spannicus

At a minimum they really need to make clans less worthless; the entire clan system boils down to a line of text on your emblem once you actually get in the game. It is bizarre to me how little focus seems to be given to what is generally a foundation of player social interaction in MMOs. People should want to be in clans precisely to help find other players for activities.

The focus on matchmaking is more of a symptom of the core problem, which is that this game has some of the worst social interaction tools of any online game I've ever come across. Players want matchmaking because it is so hard for them to reach out and find other players even if they want to. Not just for raids but for any activity in the game. Matchmaking is the only system already in game that effectively does this for them, so its absence in other modes is like putting out the only candle in the room.
So true. I have resorted to forums to find people to play with me

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
The only thing I didn't like in the stream was the black Suros. I really like the white model better. Shame they can't just upgrade the stats and leave the look of the weapon alone.
Waaaah i love me Suros.... am i losing it in TTK???

jtar86

Wish they could add something like rifts or adventure mode like in Diablo 3. So far I don't know that I've seen enough to make me want to spend 40 bucks on it and invest the time needed right in the middle of a ton of games I am really looking forward. Definitely keeping on eye on this though. They've made some good changes so far.

Sojgat

Bought the Digital Collector's Edition.

Having quit the game before any of the DLC launched, I'm pretty happy with House of Wolves. Seems like a good amount of content.

I'm already addicted again.

ChanMan

Bought the Digital Collector's Edition.

Having quit the game before any of the DLC launched, I'm pretty happy with House of Wolves. Seems like a good amount of content.

I'm already addicted again.

So you get to use the previous DLC before the game drops? How did I miss this! One thing though I already have the digital vanilla version.

I'm a little confused regarding exotics. I was under the impression that all exotics would have their base damage raised and be comparable with year 2 exotics but now thats no longer the case?

Could someone please explain what exactly is the situation with exotics?

I'm a little confused regarding exotics. I was under the impression that all exotics would have their base damage raised and be comparable with year 2 exotics but now thats no longer the case?

Some exotics like suros, truth, and the last word are getting taken king versions with higher damage that you can buy if you already have the gun.

Sojgat

So you get to use the previous DLC before the game drops? How did I miss this! One thing though I already have the digital vanilla version.

Everything seemed to be in the update. So I guess, if you bought TTK digital collector's edition, the DLC content would just unlock.

FyreWulff

Year 1 Exotics are damage/defense capped below Taken King weapons and will remain that way forever.

Select Year 1 Exotics, like the Suros Regime and the Light Beyond Nemesis for example, have Year 2 versions with higher attack/defense, and a different perk tree. The Year 2 version also now starts with the signature perk.

If you've obtained the Year 1 version of an exotic, you are entitled to purchase the Year 2 version without having to find it again.

Not every Year 1 exotic has a year 2 version (notably, Ballerhorn) but the guns and armor not with a Year 2 version are not fixed in stone at this time, and some can be re-introduced later.

Year 1 exotics will also act the same way they always have in Crucible, and will have the same damage and defense as Year 2 stuff in Crucible, due to it's damage equalization. They'll also still do the same amount of damage in all the Year 1 content you are playing now.

hank_tree

I cannot believe you would advocate for the use of an LFG website and right below it say you don't want to be grouped up with random people. I can't believe what I'm reading.

LFG roots out the people that can't be bothered to put in minimal effort to find a group. Just look at the amount of AFK people you get when you do match made strikes.

I have had very few bad experiences on lfg compared to match made groups with total randoms in Final Fantasy XIV.

Of course having some group building features in game would be nice but I don't understand why it's a showstopper for some people. There are plenty of ways to get a group for the raids.

KingV

So, is it me, or is the new light level really not THAT different.

Once you max out to level 40, you will then just chase items that have the highest defense and highest attack, instead of highest life to reach the highest possible "light level" and get the damage and defense boosts.

How different is this from the current system, except the Stat is not called "light" anymore?

Spoo

Once you max out to level 40, you will then just chase items that have the highest defense and highest attack, instead of highest life to reach the highest possible "light level" and get the damage and defense boosts.

How different is this from the current system, except the Stat is not called "light" anymore?

At the very least, people will be more fluid about who they let in to their groups. In example, if I say I want someone to be >200 light, and they happen to be 195, or whatever, then it's not as big a deal as say the difference between someone who is level 29 and level 30. It'll probably lead to a lot more fluidity there.

Also, there's more meaning behind it, simply because it's an average. But I don't think it's all that different, no. Better, but not hugely different in purpose.

Two Words

Being a level or two less than the max significantly weakened you. Much more so than not having the most powerful maxed out gear now.

thetrin

Totally agree. People asking for matchmaking are asking for a system that's already implemented, because its a more realistic short term solution than adding in all the social systems the game needs, but sorely lacks.

In a perfect world, raids wouldn't have matchmaking, but the game would have a clan chat room, a clan hall where members can meet up, a general raid lobby for those without clans, and a proper chat system to talk to others while in social areas.

Two Words

They need to have an in-game LFG. In Warframe, I can just say in looking to do a particular thing in the public chat in the game or find somebody, and I'll usually get a response in seconds.

29 to 30 was a 33% damage swing.
200 gear to 210 gear will probably not be a big difference.

Top Bottom