• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: The Taken King - Year 2 Reveal - Stream (Summary in OP)

hank_tree

Are they going to add proper matchmaking for stuff like raids? Cant see anything else luring me back

Not sure why people are so obsessed with matchmaking. There are so many ways to get groups.

I can get a group for any end game content in less than 5 mins on destinylfg.net. And if you don't want to use that there are tonnes of other resources. Here on gaf, r/fireteams etc.

You don't want to be grouped up with random people. Most people are unbelievably bad at games.

Now that I have had time to let it all sink in the changes to the missions, bountines and such are great but I really want to wait and hear about the new location and content before I jump back in, I don't mind grinds in games but destiny really needs more of a hook then weapon finding and pvp on peer to peer connections to last me a long time.

maomaoIYP

Most of the info released was pretty exciting, but the fact remains that all the lovely ToO gear will become irrelevant and that makes me sad. Messenger I hardly knew you. ;_;

Lrrr

As someone who was massively disappointed in Destiny Year 1, I liked a lot of what I saw today in the stream, but it's not worth $40. I wanted information on new environments/planets and didn't hear squat about it. A real expansion should bring more than just some UI tweaks, weapons and crappy emotes. It needs to bring in new locales to visit and explore.

As someone who was massively disappointed in Destiny Year 1, I liked a lot of what I saw today in the stream, but it's not worth $40. I wanted information on new environments/planets and didn't hear squat about it. A real expansion should bring more than just some UI tweaks, weapons and crappy emotes. It needs to bring in new locales to visit and explore.

Have you just now been following TTK?

Because GAF has been flooding with various topics about all the new content for the past couple weeks

You do know there are 2 more live streams reveals coming yet, right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's the thing... Destiny Year 2 is probably worth 60 dollars for a new player. But for someone old, is it worth 40 on top of the 100 you already spent? Eh.

jaaz

You do realize this was the first of three reveals, and that they will go into the new content in the next two weeks?

edit: beaten like a fallen shank

blamite

Missed this during the stream, but was a ship collection kiosk 100% confirmed? I was hoping they'd head over to the hangar but they never did... If it's confirmed I think I'll need to grind some tokens to pick up the rest of the HoW ships.

tebunker

Banned
I must confess all of these quality of life improvements are intriguing.

Honestly if they can prove to me that the quests and content truly are better designed and more worth my time than Year 1, I will come back.

I just got so tired of the end game skinner box. They are talking like they have gone back to the drawing board, but I gotta see it. If the patrol bosses are well made, and the new strikes and revamped strikes are more diverse, we may finally get this game out of Early Access...

Missed this during the stream, but was a ship collection kiosk 100% confirmed? I was hoping they'd head over to the hangar but they never did... If it's confirmed I think I'll need to grind some tokens to pick up the rest of the HoW ships.

Ship + Sparrow kiosks at the Hangar
Shader + Emblem kiosks at the Guardian Outfitter
Exotic Weapons + Armor kiosks at the Hall of Guardians

blamite

Ship + Sparrow kiosks at the Hangar
Shader + Emblem kiosks at the Guardian Outfitter
Exotic Weapons + Armor kiosks at the Hall of Guardians
They specifically said that's the case for ships and sparrows? Awesome.

Also I wasn't paying super close attention at the start but did anyone notice if Tess is back in the postmaster hut, or anything different in her place?

I mean aside from it being an fps and the creators saying it's not an mmo for the purpose of marketing, literally every element of the game has at least basic design nods to other mmorpgs. It's like people want to deny destiny being an mmorpg just so they can complain about it. Sounds familiar...

You can read their minds now and know what they really meant?

Kyoufu

Also I wasn't paying super close attention at the start but did anyone notice if Tess is back in the postmaster hut, or anything different in her place?

What's the point of a Sparrow kiosk anyway? There's like 2 Sparrows in the game that are worth using tbh.

kiguel182

The only thing I didn't like in the stream was the black Suros. I really like the white model better. Shame they can't just upgrade the stats and leave the look of the weapon alone.

It wasn't literally said but they mentioned towards the end of the stream (and hinted at earlier) that all of the items taking up space in your vault (ships, shaders, emblems and vehicles [sparrows]) could be reclaimed at kiosks.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I've been getting back into Destiny and today I decided to focus on bringing up my Crucible reputation.

This PVP has got to be the most frustrating thing ever. I just keep getting one shotted left and right. I respawn and I'm almost immediately killed. Please tell me I'm not the only one that hates this mode.

I was terrible at first, like really awful. But I started to get the hang of it, and I can at least survive for much longer, by no means I'm a pro but at least I ain't a scrub either.

tips
1. Memorize maps (obvious)
2. crouch, a lot. you get a 5 seconds invisible on radar effect while crouching.
3. get good gear for PvP, stuff like thorn or hawkmoon
4. Memorize heavy ammo spawn points
5. Get heavy ammo whenever it spawns ASAP
6. play control matches, much more enjoyable than free-for-all or team deathmatches.

Tengrave

Wow! Really happy with everything shown today. Much more in line with what I thought Destiny Year 1 was supposed to be. Wish that price tag was a little lower but I am in for sure.

KJRS_1993

I'm not sure I dig there being two tiers of exotic weapons - powerful Year 2 ones and Year 1 exotics you won't use because they're underpowered.
That kind of defeats the point for me in my opinion?

Also, is the majority of new TK exotic weapons just upgrades of Year 1 ones? Their didn't look like many to choose from when you factor in the Year 1 upgrades.

Also again,if anyone knows, does this mean it'll now be impossible to obtain a Year 1 Suros Regime? What about the other Year 1 exotics, are they now unobtainable? I don't get that.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that hates this mode.

It's absolute wank brother, keep out of it until the weapon balance patch drops. It's shocking.

Blueblur1

I feel like I spent close to a hundred dollars to be a beta tester, and new players will get the game the way it was ment to be played :(

That is a ridiculous conclusion. The game was a finished product with tons of polish. Just because they're making more desirable design decisions and are adding more content now doesn't mean you beta-tested an unfinished product.

Deadstar

Happy to see these changes. I hope in the future they add more variations on enemies. Even if they aren't "new" enemies, give them different clothing or colors. Make me feel like I'm fighting a lot of different enemy types even if I'm not. Also please add the giant frog from the concept art. I want this game to be more fantastical. We need a talking frog.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You can read their minds now and know what they really meant?
Why would I need to read minds? Aside from lfg features (which can be found in the form of Websites, which sucks btw) destiny has all the makings of an mmo. Bungie and others saying otherwise doesn't change the fact that the majority of mechanics, ideas, and systems are found in many different MMOs. Catherine has platforming elements incorporated into its puzzles. That doesn't mean the game isn't a platformer nor a puzzle game, It can be both, or are you gonna tell me otherwise?

Uthred

Not sure why people are so obsessed with matchmaking. There are so many ways to get groups.

I can get a group for any end game content in less than 5 mins on destinylfg.net. And if you don't want to use that there are tonnes of other resources. Here on gaf, r/fireteams etc.

You don't want to be grouped up with random people. Most people are unbelievably bad at games.

Oddly enough considering 99% of similar games have that functionality built into the game when I'm looking at "many ways to get groups" I'm looking for them to be in-game. Secondly, yes, yes I do want to be grouped with random people, as an addendum to that I find it literally laughable that people putting forward similar arguments are suggesting that the random people I'd be playing with through sourcing them via the internet are somehow less random than the people I'd get from a matchmaking function which, *gasp* sources them via the internet.

Klyka

Banned
Btw I would like to point out specifically for people who do not yet want to buy TTK that basically every single thing you have seen in this stream will come to Vanilla Destiny and the two other DLCs.
Everything you have seen was ALL quality of life improvements that are FREE via patch for EVERYONE.

This can not be overstated.

You are NOT paying any amount of money for any of these UI/QoL changes.

Stillmatic

Haven't been keeping up with all of this, but is TTK a full games worth of content? I'm considering jumping back in to Destiny, but notice TTK is $69.95 on the Aus store, that seems a bit pricey. Just asking because that's how much I pay at most for new retail games.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Haven't been keeping up with all of this, but is TTK a full games worth of content? I'm considering jumping back in to Destiny, but notice TTK is $69.95 on the Aus store, that seems a bit pricey. Just asking because that's how much I pay at most for new retail games.
Have you played the two other expansions?

border

Secondly, yes, yes I do want to be grouped with random people, as an addendum to that I find it literally laughable that people putting forward similar arguments are suggesting that the random people I'd be playing with through sourcing them via the internet are somehow less random than the people I'd get from a matchmaking function which, *gasp* sources them via the internet.

The quality of player you find on DGAF or LFG sites is generally way better that the player quality in match-making. It's that simple. People who make the extra time and effort to find like-minded players end up being better than those who only want to press a button. It shouldn't really be a surprise.

Any statistician will tell you that self-selecting samples are inherently less random than randomly selected ones.

I'm curious as to why exotics like Ice Breaker, Black Hammer and G-horn are getting nerfed if they're being left behind. I wonder if this was a recent decision to leave some exotics behind when it looks like they were going to be updated for year 2.

It's almost like they don't talk to each other. I really wonder sometimes.

blamite

Okay, just got back from work and double-checked, a ship collection isin fact confirmed (25:35 in the Twitch archive), and Tess's booth is still empty. :'(

I wish there was some sort of instance based player housing in Destiny, where you could arrange trophies or weapons, and perhaps walk around your ship. I'd appreciate some immersive content, I just love the world but there is so much potential left on the table regarding the hubs.

Uthred

The quality of player you find on DGAF or LFG sites is generally way better that the player quality in match-making. It's that simple.

There is no match-making in Destiny, hence no ground for comparison, so I'll file this under "Facts you pulled out of your arse".

People who make the extra time and effort to find like-minded players end up being better than those who only want to press a button. It shouldn't really be a surprise.

"People who are forced to use out of game resources to find other players are the exact same people who would be in the pool if match-making were in game", got it. And as apparently "things I say" are now "facts", Matchmaking in similar games hasnt meaningfully affected the quality of the groups, nor are Destiny's raids so complex they couldnt be completed with a bunch of random people (for example, like the ones the game forces me to source). Its that simple. Am I doing this right?

Any statistician will tell you that self-selecting samples are inherently less random than randomly selected ones.

You mean a self selecting sample, like, for example, People who a) own the game and b) want to find people to do content with? Random strangers you assemble on a forum outside the game arent magically more competent and invested than random strangers you assemble via an ingame matchmaking function

Klyka

Banned
There is no match-making in Destiny, hence no ground for comparison, so I'll file this under "Facts you pulled out of your arse".

For the game not having matchmaking, there sure are a lot of things in it that have matchmaking!

Dunk#7

Happy to see these changes. I hope in the future they add more variations on enemies. Even if they aren't "new" enemies, give them different clothing or colors. Make me feel like I'm fighting a lot of different enemy types even if I'm not. Also please add the giant frog from the concept art. I want this game to be more fantastical. We need a talking frog.

TTK has exactly what you just requested.

Reworked enemies that look and attack differently.

"People who are forced to use out of game resources to find other players are the exact same people who would be in the pool if match-making were in game", got it. And as apparently "things I say" are now "facts", Matchmaking in similar games hasnt meaningfully affected the quality of the groups, nor are Destiny's raids so complex they couldnt be completed with a bunch of random people (for example, like the ones the game forces me to source). Its that simple. Am I doing this right?

You mean a self selecting sample, like, for example, People who a) own the game and b) want to find people to do content with? Random strangers you assemble on a forum outside the game arent magically more competent and invested than random strangers you assemble via an ingame matchmaking function

There is matchmaking in game for a lot of things so he's not pulling anything out of his arse.

Weeklies have matchmaking and POE 28. From my experience 90% of the time, one of those people will be afk.... Do I want to deal with that raids? Hell no.

Sure bungie could implement matchmaking for Raids and Nightfalls but even from my experience with destinylfg with randoms, it can be quite frustrating if people don't use mics. Just a few days ago I played with some DESTINYlfg guys and two of them had no mic during a VOG run it was quite annoying where we had to kick them. Only way I think Bungie should allow optional MM for raids is if it's a 100% guarantee everyone will have mics. What he is saying is correct. More people will put effort into having mics and actually communicating when looking for raid grounds through destinylfg or DGAF board...

I pretty much raid and play destiny with The community board here. I have never had unsuccessful or horrible experiences like I have had with Weeklies and POE 28 with randoms. Even those that allow MM I still will get a group together on the DGAF board... It's ridiculously easy.

I know a lot of people are turned off on the notion of no MM but people here who have played this game since alpha are telling you MM would be a disaster for raids and yet those of you who have not ever played any raids or the game insist on having MM.

I think people need to get over MM for raids because I do not see Bungie putting it in. If your not cool with that and don't enjoy the social experience of destiny and having to set up a group, which literally takes a couple
Minutes here on DEstiny GAF board, then Destiny is not for you.

Top Bottom