• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: The Taken King - Year 2 Reveal - Stream (Summary in OP)

gatti-man

To be fair, a lot of the changes they keep making should have been there on day 1 based on the fact that they could have copied any number of games out there.

Ok. Yes the game could have been better at launch but feeling robbed after you got to play the game 1 year before someone else is silly.

vilmer_

I just logged in and went to check my mail, and this was in there:

0RihL8L.jpg

Are we supposed to get free legendaries? Thanks Blizzard.

FyreWulff

I wonder what the efficiency stat does? Its not like its how fast you can swing the sword because they have a speed stat. Maybe its a dice roll on how flush you hit an opponent and can deal maximum damage?

probably the "impact" stat for it's guard mode, in that how good it is at deflecting damage

Tovarisc

I don't see how that's wrong.

Didn't they say to infuse weapons you need to dismantle them? So dismantling now would be a mistake.

You can only infuse Y2 gear with other Y2 gear so telling us to hold on to the Y1 stuff doesn't make sense if breaking it down after TTK release just gives us Y1 materials.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I wonder what the efficiency stat does? Its not like its how fast you can swing the sword because they have a speed stat. Maybe its a dice roll on how flush you hit an opponent and can deal maximum damage?
Probably how fast or how much ammo/energy is consumed from each swing.

Probably uses "energy" instead of ammo. Efficiency is probably how much energy it eats from the various actions it performs

Ashilyn

I'm astounded there's people who still DON'T think Destiny is an MMO. It hits all the same design and release hallmarks of an MMO, it's just SCIENCE FANTASY SPACE GUNS instead of GENERIC FANTASY SPELLS.

That said, I'm super hype about all these changes. It's mostly UI and QoL, but I welcome it openly. Can't wait to see story and Strike stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ok. Yes the game could have been better at launch but feeling robbed after you got to play the game 1 year before someone else is silly.
Well, the fact that they didn't even think through how they would handle weapon upgrades from expansion to expansion is kind of crazy. I do feel that my time was wasted re-upgrading my exotics via Xur when in the second expansion, they just let you get it for free from the menu... something they should have just done in the first place.

I can see how someone would feel as if they were beta testing Destiny for free.

Zemm

For someone new to the game next month, the old raids will still be doable I assume? I'd like to do them at least once to see what they're like and for story reasons.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Sure doesn't seem like it and the creators themselves didn't call it that so....
I mean aside from it being an fps and the creators saying it's not an mmo for the purpose of marketing, literally every element of the game has at least basic design nods to other mmorpgs. It's like people want to deny destiny being an mmorpg just so they can complain about it. Sounds familiar...

For someone new to the game next month, the old raids will still be doable I assume? I'd like to do them at least once to see what they're like and for story reasons.
Yes and dgaf holds newbie raids every week

Tovarisc

Yeah, they will stay open for business. Vault of Glass especially is worth of seeing and experiencing. You should hit up Destiny OT over in Community when looking for players to do some raids with.

hydruxo

Of course. They're staying the same, and people are always doing the old raids.

Nori Chan

I completely disagree. I can't think of many next gen games that will offer more value for $60 than Destiny the base game + 3 expansions. Its a lot of content with both PVE and PVP.
Lol

Sure it doesn't. I've played a lot but seriously, you're just going to ignore the holiday lineup we got coming up for a dlc?

Well, the fact that they didn't even think through how they would handle weapon upgrades from expansion to expansion is kind of crazy. I do feel that my time was wasted re-upgrading my exotics via Xur when in the second expansion, they just let you get it for free from the menu... something they should have just done in the first place.

I can see how someone would feel as if they were beta testing Destiny for free.

It seems like their philosophy used to be not to design a fun game but to design something that would hook people and make them grind forever so that they could sell expansions. i guess they realized how dumb that was and I'm hoping they're sincerely thinking about the quality of their game now

I completely disagree. I can't think of many next gen games that will offer more value for $60 than Destiny the base game + 3 expansions. Its a lot of content with both PVE and PVP.

If someone is jumping into the game for the first time then yeah but for those who've been playing since launch and didn't buy the expansion pass it's $140 they've spent in one year

FyreWulff

It seems like their philosophy used to be not to design a fun game but to design something that would hook people and make them grind forever so that they could sell expansions. i guess they realized how dumb that was and I'm hoping they're sincerely thinking about the quality of their game now

The game was never designed just to sell DLC

Gator86

I'm astounded there's people who still DON'T think Destiny is an MMO. It hits all the same design and release hallmarks of an MMO, it's just SCIENCE FANTASY SPACE GUNS instead of GENERIC FANTASY SPELLS.

That said, I'm super hype about all these changes. It's mostly UI and QoL, but I welcome it openly. Can't wait to see story and Strike stuff.

Absolutely. It's hilarious that people are still tricked by Bungie's PR tricked people into thinking Destiny isn't an MMO. Having dumb design choices or lacking basic features doesn't make the game not an MMO, it makes the game a bad MMO. It's 100% an MMO with no monthly fee. Bungie just doesn't call it an MMO to avoid the stigma and expectations that come along with the title. If they called it an MMO, people might expect decent features like actual communication beyond a handful of pointless emotes or guilds-related content. If World of Warcraft towns could only hold a dozen people, it wouldn't just magically stop being an MMO.

Mindlog

It's like an mmo in the sense that it's designed around DLC and expansion. It's also like an MMO in that it receives regular updates.
I like Destiny and I would disagree with that. It doesn't receive updates frequently enough. It takes too long for them to tweak obvious meta problems.
There are plenty of other MMOs that fit the MMO bill better.
Like, Defiance.

The game was never designed just to sell DLC

It was designed to keep people playing and coming back every week. Why else would they make light level RNG dependent? It was a hamster wheel and to me at least it was clear what their priorities were when designing the game. Recently in an interview Luke Smith said that they realize now that it's ok for people to stop playing their game. To me that says a lot and confirms what I always believed

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It was designed to keep people playing and coming back every week. Why else would they make light level RNG dependent? It was a hamster wheel and to me at least it was clear what their priorities were when designing the game. Recently in an interview Luke Smith said that they realize now that it's ok for people to stop playing their game. To me that says a lot and confirms what I always believed
It says they want people to play their game and buy dlc and if you don't like the games mechanics or design philosophy then you can quit anytime? Yeah it sounds like that to me too.

GhaleonEB

That was not new, Bungie said the same thing around launch. It's a game you could play for a while, set aside, and come back to later, to find new things to do. It's why the expansions had a little of every type of activity in it, rather than focus on one or two.

Zemm

Nice, thanks for the replies. And yeah I intend to get involved with the Destiny community once I have the game.

Ashilyn

There are plenty of other MMOs that fit the MMO bill better.
Like, Defiance.

I honestly dont't find Defiance, having played through it and most of it's season pass content, to really be that different from Destiny in terms of "how much of an MMO it is". Either way, it's an irrelevent statement, how much of an MMO other games are doesn't change the fact that Destiny is one.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Destiny has some MMO like qualities... But obviously isn't one. If you have a good group and/or do LFG sites its like PSO with all of the social elements removed from in-game and taken offline.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Destiny has some MMO like qualities... But obviously isn't one. If you have a good group and/or do LFG sites its like PSO with all of the social elements removed from in-game and taken offline.
In a nutshell, it has the grindy mechanics of an MMO but without any of the social features.
Weekly lockouts, tons of rep to grind, and so on.

Toski

I'm curious as to why exotics like Ice Breaker, Black Hammer and G-horn are getting nerfed if they're being left behind. I wonder if this was a recent decision to leave some exotics behind when it looks like they were going to be updated for year 2.

hank_tree

I'm curious as to why exotics like Ice Breaker, Black Hammer and G-horn are getting nerfed if they're being left behind. I wonder if this was a recent decision to leave some exotics behind when it looks like they were going to be updated for year 2.

You can still upgrade the damage on the year 1 exotics to match the year 2 exotics.Even if they don't have a year 2 version.

Ovek

7Member7
Ha weren't most the the UI changes suggested by someone in some rather swish looking mockups about a week after the game dropped?

Edit found it... Looks a little familiar.
gabZKtf.png

FyreWulff

crucible and rebalancing them for older content

they also said the exotics that do or do not go to year 2 aren't set in stone

Ha weren't most the the UI changes suggested by someone in some rather swish looking mockups about a week after the game dropped?

Edit found it... Looks a little familiar.
gabZKtf.png

I think it speaks more to the framework Bungie built for the game's UI, which it looks like they're finally setting into. It's very malleable and a lot of these changes have been no-brainers. I dont doubt they had most of the suggestions mocked up in house already, but were either unable to implement them at the time or had planned to at a later date.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I could have sworn I saw Icebreaker have a Y2 version, but I too busy noticing that Gjallarhorn was dead. lol

Toski

You can still upgrade the damage on the year 1 exotics to match the year 2 exotics.Even if they don't have a year 2 version.

Really? Where did they say that? It seemed like year 1 exotics were capped at some nebulous space between year 1 and 2.

Top Bottom