• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's "Raids" Thread: "Vault of Glass" is OPEN

Awntawn

EDIT Afrocious beat me to the punch, but I'd also like to add, the way raiding works also allows for some messed up trolling as some people who are stuck on the last boss for the raid can advertise they are at the beginning of the raid. The troll advertises "looking for start of raid group!" Team proceeds to start the raid up and now force all the people in the group to the last boss enabling the people to miss out on the first few bosses' loot. This may also be a nonissue as I don't know how entering the raid works.
In MMOs, you don't get saved to a raid instance until you kill a boss. Assuming Bungie knew what they're doing, they'll make it like this too.

ultron87

How do you die so much in a dungeon? Sounds like they just graveyard zerged it lol sounds incredibly cheesy

Haven't really watched any content from the raid and not commenting on the quality of Destiny, by the way... just saying that, as a MMO vet, that stat sounds insane

It is just that each individual boss attempt goes incredibly fast. There isn't any corpse running or pre-fight buffing or trash to get in the way of them throwing themselves at the boss over and over again. Just a 5 second respawn timer once everyone is dead.

ethomaz

Banned
There's also the roll at the results screen.
Yeap... the results screens shows 2 rewards but if you got more it shows right when you get back to the menu again.... a lot of mission I got three or more rewards and it just showed at the menu while the results showed the last 2.

If MMO-type raids are this draining, I'm glad I never got into these games. I might watch or read about EVE Online, but would not want to play it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Looking at the K/D, they all died within 30 deaths of each other. So they could easily have about 240-270 wipes. :|

If MMO-type raids are this draining, I'm glad I never got into these games. I might watch or read about EVE Online, but would not want to play it.

Only for the people crazy enough to do it first.

Once people develop simple, clear, easy to follow strategies it gets a lot easier.

The truly eye-opening thing for me is that I never knew how many people out of were so unfamiliar with MMO style games but still bought this game.

Ever since WoW, it's not like these games were niche anymore.

If it was easy everyone would become legend.

It is just that each individual boss attempt goes incredibly fast. There isn't any corpse running or pre-fight buffing or trash to get in the way of them throwing themselves at the boss over and over again. Just a 5 second respawn timer once everyone is dead.
Yeah I've watched a bit, enough to get that. Still though, that's a lot of dying lol. I didn't mean cheesy in terms of boss design, BTW, I meant it more in I wonder if the players that beat it used a cheesy weakness in the revive system to exploit it a bit and throw themselves at it too constantly, and that's why they were able to beat what appears to be a difficult boss so quickly. I mean, Destiny wouldn't be the first MMO/ORPG where a 'Raid 1st' wasn't beaten exactly at intended, and then the devs fix 1 small that to fix the 'difficulty'. Again, I don't know, was just asking based on that death stat because it's so high.

ElRenoRaven

Man. Have been watching the raids all day. That boss everyone is stuck on is something. I really can't wait to get in there with folks and give it a god.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Trying to apply MMORPG end-game sensibilities to a somewhat clunky shooter with little to no healer roles was a moronic game design approach to even consider.

The amount of stupid splash damage one-hitters in the game is just counter-intuitive to any sort of "plotted" play. Too much random and too much luck involved and you just get a timesink and nothing else.

Basically I guess the Bungie team all got addicted to WoW (We know Luke Smith did at least, and he was on design with this?), wanted to try and force its sensibilities into an FPS, and have failed across the board.

pantsmith

Regarding rewards: read something about
a chest in the labyrinth (have no idea what this means)
with exotics + legendarys, so I think theres more loot than just what you finish with.

ethomaz

Banned
Trying to apply MMORPG end-game sensibilities to a somewhat clunky shooter with little to no healer roles was a moronic game design approach to even consider.

The amount of stupid splash damage one-hitters in the game is just counter-intuitive to any sort of "plotted" play. Too much random and too much luck involved and you just get a timesink and nothing else.

Basically I guess the Bungie team all got addicted to WoW (We know Luke Smith did at least, and he was on design with this?), wanted to try and force its sensibilities into an FPS, and have failed across the board.
In my opinion there are in the right path...

Solid game so far... want more.

JCizzle

Addicted to the wrong parts of WoW (IMO), trying to recreate vanilla experiences nearly a decade later without much of the quality of life stuff that improved it over time.

Cels

i was watching a little bit last night, think it was streamerhouse

they were killing boss named templar, guy has a shield that needs to be broken every so often, spawns oracles that have to be killed asap (something bad happens if not killed quickly i assume). one member on the team has a relic, seems like that guy is pretty important

the guy whose POV i was watching kept dying in stupid ways, like i think he died a few times when he shot his rocket right as the boss put the trapshield thing on him, blowing himself up. he also bladedanced off a ledge trying to kill an oracle

looks exciting to me and seems to be a departure from the rest of the game from what i've seen

(i've never played the game in any form)

Abelian75

Neo Member
Man, these look cool as hell. I am loving the crap out of this game and can't wait to get to this point. Really glad they seem both challenging and mechanically interesting (ahem, unlike the strikes).

ShinMaruku

The truly eye-opening thing for me is that I never knew how many people out of were so unfamiliar with MMO style games but still bought this game.

Ever since WoW, it's not like these games were niche anymore.

If it was easy everyone would become legend.

MMOs are very small and very insual. But they live inside their own bubble. But this not a MMO and fie on Bungie for trying to copt the good parts and not thinking the negatives that come with that label too.

Dahbomb

Gear probably wasn't fully optimized and players didn't know what to expect. This will naturally get easier over time.

Anyway this is probably the most exciting feature of Destiny so far. I actually didn't know they were doing a Raid mission until today. Seems pretty difficult too.

Well , that was the advertising campaign and on the back of the box.

You still have to work for it =p

That is why the game stay giving me non-legend drops :( I'm not at the legend level.

*pat pat*

It could have worked if they put more thought into developing the classes, but their specialty is FPS, so it's an FPS first. Which then leads to problems of the bullet sponge bosses, endless trash waves, and everyone dying in one hit.

But even then this was an opportunity to try something different from traditional MMO boss fights...

ultron87

It really bums me out that this seems to be the only place they really did anything interesting with the encounter design. I'll probably get to raid eventually, but it'll be awhile. Being stuck with Strike bosses till then is so sad.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Great Raid OT, loving your positive vibe.

Good times ahead, I'm nearly Level 26 people!!!

I'm just sans the 6 light levels of gear at the moment, engrams pls.

MMOs are very small and very insual. But they live inside their own bubble. But this not a MMO and fie on Bungie for trying to copt the good parts and not thinking the negatives that come with that label too.

That's why I mentioned WoW- at the height of it's popularity it had over 10 million players, these days it's still siting on 7 million some ten years later and those aren't niche numbers. The genre may be niche but I had thought WoW would have given it quite the exposure.

I'm sure Bungie knew about the negatives with the MMO label, that's why they tried so hard not to call it that.

ShinMaruku

That's why I mentioned WoW- at the height of it's popularity it had over 10 million players, these days it's still siting on 7 million some ten years later and those aren't niche numbers. The genre may be niche but I had thought WoW would have given it quite the exposure.

I'm sure Bungie knew about the negatives with the MMO label, that's why they tried so hard not to call it that.

The MMO market is 45% wow that is niche. That ain't huge. Out of how much first world consumers it has maybe 5- 6 million? Not very large.

This game is so intriguing. No interest in buying it yet I've had 3 streams running all day at work following people trying to beat this Raid.

Cmagus

These Triplewreck guys could do this no problem if they had better weapons. The guy that was streaming for the Streamerhouse was doing almost 13k damage with his sniper rifle when hitting critical this guy is only doing max 6k with the one he has.

Me too. I haven't followed Destiny too closely but I watched one stream for an hour and it was sort of the multiplayer co-op experience I'd want.

It is really fun brother! I just went to do a mission on the Moon (I am not very far into the game) and I was playing Solo. Minute I started a mission, some dude was right there dancing around, I sent him a request to join my FireTeam, boom, we did it together.

Now he is on my friends list. It really is a good game to meet new people and play. You are always getting thrown into games with random people. Plus, you can meet a lot of people at the tower while gearing up ready to go on Missions.

Top Bottom