• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's "Raids" Thread: "Vault of Glass" is OPEN

glottis8

Banned
I'm unable to see the stream since I'm at work, but please tell me the bosses aren't just bigger version of normal enemies. I heard about the mechanics, which sound awesome, but I'm tired of fighting dudehuge carbon copies.

The one they are fighting doesn't look like anything i've seen. Looks pretty badass actually. I'll try to grab a screen grab if i can.

Outside of a personal sense of accomplishment, I can't see any reason to drag myself or anyone through this headache after watching the streams. Worst of all is that I don't even think you can count on the loot being worth it at the end -- some pithy boots and helmet drop or something.

ethomaz

Banned
Can i get some explanation on Raids structure? like how long can it take to finish, if you have checkpoint to continue later, is there a time limit to finish it, What makes it different/unique compared to Strike? overall the little i have seen, you just need to kill X amount of enemies + boss(es).

I never played MMOs so I cant relate to this gametype.
Nobody finished yet from what we knows but seems at least a 4+ hours experience... and yes you can save progress in checkpoints to play later but the progress is saved with the fireteam leader and it will be erased after a week.

glottis8

Banned
Are you sure the boss they are fighting doesn't look like a giant Vex?

XVCUAe5.jpg

I didn't think so... but maybe i have not faced a Vex that looks like that.

Afrocious

Can i get some explanation on Raids structure? like how long can it take to finish, if you have checkpoint to continue later, is there a time limit to finish it, What makes it different/unique compared to Strike? overall the little i have seen, you just need to kill X amount of enemies + boss(es).

If it's anything like a MMO, you have the following to take into account:

1) Progression in a Raid is saved until Tuesday, when progress is reset.

2) Progression is saved when a boss is killed (or in some cases, a boss 'fight' could be a special kind of crazy puzzle or encounter meant to challenge people. I played The Old Republic - so look up The Eternity Vault puzzle to see what I mean by puzzle).

3) If you join a group of people who has killed a boss farther in than you have, and you party together and then kill a boss, your progress is saved and you wont be able to go back to kill the bosses you skipped until the Weekly reset.

AZCards

They are going to nerf these raids. I don't see why Bungie would only want hardcore players attempting the raids. This reminds me of Naxx in vanilla WoW or the Sunwell in The Burning Crusade.

Afrocious

So for the people watching the streams, are the bosses just straight up bullet sponge vs dps fights like most of the boss fights in the strike?

From what I'm watching it's just bullet sponge

Then you are not paying attention.

There are clear phases of the fight where you are expect to deal damage to the boss and where you have to clean up mobs. This isn't like a strike where you just have to whittle down a health bar. You need to get the damage buff going so you can do reasonable DPS.

So for the people watching the streams, are the bosses just straight up bullet sponge vs dps fights like most of the boss fights in the strike?

pretty much...with more added bullshit thrown at you. I am pretty sure I saw earlier, the boss most people are on right now, casts some kind of "death" spell on you if u take too long

SDCowboy

Then you are not paying attention.

There are clear phases of the fight where you are expect to deal damage to the boss and where you have to clean up mobs. This isn't like a strike where you just have to whittle down a health bar. You need to get the damage buff going so you can do reasonable DPS.

That doesn't make the boss not a bullet sponge...

pretty much...with more added bullshit thrown at you. I am pretty sure I saw earlier, the boss most people are on right now, casts some kind of "death" spell on you if u take too long

It's called an enrage mechanic, welcome to casual MMOs.
That doesn't make the boss not a bullet sponge...
But it makes it more challenging and complex than just a bullet sponge, if you treat it like one you'll never manage to get past it.

Caja 117

If it's anything like a MMO, you have the following to take into account:

1) Progression in a Raid is saved until Tuesday, when progress is reset.

2) Progression is saved when a boss is killed (or in some cases, a boss 'fight' could be a special kind of crazy puzzle or encounter meant to challenge people. I played The Old Republic - so look up The Eternity Vault puzzle to see what I mean by puzzle).

3) If you join a group of people who has killed a boss farther in than you have, and you party together and then kill a boss, your progress is saved and you wont be able to go back to kill the bosses you skipped until the Weekly reset.

Nobody finished yet from what we knows but seems at least a 4+ hours experience... and yes you can save progress in checkpoints to play later but the progress is saved with the fireteam leader and it will be erased after a week.

Thank you, one last question, these Raid missions are timed events, or, for example this Raid been played right now, I can play it a month from now?

Looks frustrating as hell, adds randomly spawn and you die. No room for error it seems but raids always look like a train wreck early on when no one knows how to beat it.

ultron87

From what I'm watching it's just bullet sponge

I don't see how you're getting that from this stream. Yes, there is a boss you need to shoot a lot.

They have to fight off adds until half the team gets teleported. The teleported team needs to pick up the shield and kill the oracles while fighting off adds while the guy with the shield cleanses the debuffs. Meanwhile the other team is opening the portal to get them back.

Only once they are all back do they start damaging the boss thanks to the buff. Then it repeats. There is so much more going on then the "boss in the middle while you deal with adds" strike bosses.

Afrocious

Sounds like there's an enrage timer then. I like.

Are the fights basically gun down one guy and stay away from him? Or do they at least have a gimmick? Like fight three bosses at the same time, but you can only hurt one at a given moment.

I don't see how you're getting that from this stream. Yes, there is a boss you need to shoot a lot.

They have to fight off adds until half the team gets teleported. The teleported team needs to pick up the shield and kill the oracles while fighting off adds while the guy with the shield cleanses the debuffs. Meanwhile the other team is opening the portal to get them back.

Only once they are all back do they start damaging the boss thanks to the buff. There is so much more going on then the "boss in the middle while you deal with adds" strike bosses.

People like to dismiss fight mechanics in Destiny because it's an FPS and the ultimate goal is to shoot something until it dies. Their loss. I agree that most strike bosses are simple bullet sponges with adds, but everything I've seen from these streams of the raid is much more than that, and way better.

FinKL

I stole the following from the FFXIV Raid FAQ, but I assume most if not all will apply:

-Raid is compromised of multiple dungeons/bosses (4 total bosses?)
-Progress is saved at specific locations for each player, and you may resume your raid where you left off.
-Progress is reset every week? (So if you can only kill 2 bosses for that week, it resets the next week and you'll be able to repeat those 2 bosses (for loot) and try to down the 3rd again)
-To enter, you must be in a party of six with a Level 26 or higher.
-The starting Point is determined by the Party leader's progress.
-Party members who have not progressed as far as the party leader may participate, provided they meet the entry requirements.
-In this case, their progress will be updated to the same as that of the leader. (Missing out of previous bosses loot and not being able to back track)
-Parties whose members have progress further than the party leader cannot resume a raid. (If you are further along in the raid the the leader, you won't be able to play with them for the week. You'll have to be the party leader and force the other members to your raid location missing out on previous bosses loot)

EDIT Afrocious beat me to the punch, but I'd also like to add, the way raiding works also allows for some messed up trolling as some people who are stuck on the last boss for the raid can advertise they are at the beginning of the raid. The troll advertises "looking for start of raid group!" Team proceeds to start the raid up and now force all the people in the group to the last boss enabling the people to miss out on the first few bosses' loot. This may also be a nonissue as I don't know how entering the raid works.

Afrocious

Only once they are all back do they start damaging the boss thanks to the buff. Then it repeats. There is so much more going on then the "boss in the middle while you deal with adds" strike bosses.

Ok. This is what I like. This is what I wanted out of Strikes.

Gotta admit though, Bungie needs some hardcore WoW raiders testing the raids out. That would fix everything PvE related.

AZCards

This doesn't look fun at all. There is no margin of error. This is some heroic, hard mode, final boss of the entire game kind of encounter.

I feel like Bungie have created a whole game built around the Tartarus fight in Halo 2 - which was one of the worst thins they ever did

Duxxy3

Raiding is all about coordination and gear. Everything else is secondary.

You have a 10:1 K/D ratio? Fantastic, that means nothing in raiding. It doesn't matter if you can jump shot well. A high skill level is not the number one requirement of raiding. Do you have patience? Can you follow direction? Can you communicate problems?

Raiding is the same regardless of what the game is called.

Top Bottom