• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

Niven

The point of doing this is that it is too hard for a non coordinated group. Getting matched with 5 other people who do not have headsets and so you have no chance of completing even a small percentage of the content is not fun.

I've joined many a MM games and invited everyone to a party so we can community and surely it should still be the option for people who don't have the friends ? I get your point but it's just an extra option that I think should be there for people because it doesn't mess anything up for the people with friends

Lone wolf here. I was on the fence about Destiny, I'm not now. I know that there are players out there that I can play with, but I just prefer not to be forced into it and trying to organize a group of people to play with together.

wow.

one mode that has <10% of content is a buying factor for you?

The video explains that the end game is more then just the raid. Literately every other thing to do in Destiny has matchmaking.

I agree it should be an option, at the very least you guys would play for a bit get killed and then quit whatever it doesn't effect me.

but to say that this one decisions destroys the entire game is crazy.

Two Words

Wait wait wait
If these Raids are Endgame, say level 20
Why would it be so fucking impossible to go to the Tower and just look for level 20s

Why? Do you even know how many GAFers will just throw themselves at you if you need friends to play with?
Why make it do we have to do that when they could just do matchmaking?

Lone wolf here. I was on the fence about Destiny, I'm not now. I know that there are players out there that I can play with, but I just prefer not to be forced into it and trying to organize a group of people to play with together.
So, again, you won't buy Destiny because you won't be able to do the Raids
Even though there are many other end-game options with random matchmaking
Like Nightfall missions and High Level Strikes
Why make it do we have to do that when they could just do matchmaking?
Maybe it's because Bungie wants to make a Raid feel different from a Strike in the sense that you HAVE to know who you are going into the Raid with.
Makes it more of an experience and less of a cheap-ass grindfest.

Serick

Married Member
Direct quote:

"The simple fact that raid content can be slept through in WoW while you drool on your keyboard has completely destroyed the sense of accomplishment that raiding used to carry"

It sounds like you're trying to make two arguments at once.

The first one is that there is no accomplishment in raiding (yes this vague term includes flex, normal, heroic, otherwise STATE IT). Which is statistically false, the challenge is there, very few people actually down the final boss in heroic encounters. You will not "sleep" during heroic garrosh.

The second is there's less incentive is purely based on your motivation. If it's gear, then yeah LFR adds less incentive, but why should this matter if you want the best of the best. If it's accomplishment/challenge, see response 1.

You're right, I should have elaborated. My post two responses up outlines my issues with LFR. To be fair the post I was referring to was speaking about LFR.

Orayn

Why can't both co-exist?

I imagine it's because it would require compromises that Bungie doesn't want to make. They don't want to put in a "Play this piece of content in a way that will probably turn out shitty" button, and they don't want to redesign raids to work with random uncoordinated groups.

If you still really want to try, the game lets you make/join open fireteams. (I'm assuming this is how it works until it's been confirmed otherwise.

Crosseyes

Banned
FPS already does that and it is called a horde mode. Silly stance I hope they reverse.
What? Horde mode is... horde mode. A dps race in more mmo terms is a certain phase or mechanic of a fight. Think something like ffxiv boss fights like titan's heart or ifrit's nails.

Bsigg12

There should be a NPC that you talk to and you post your credentials (level, mic or no mic, etc.) and what Raid you want to do and then people can get on and send Raid Group invites.

In that past I've found that unless I'm super involved in a GAF community and post there all the time most "hey! I need people!" requests don't actually go that well.
I visited the beta ot regularly and usually whenever I saw somebody saying "looking for someone to play" another responded. It'll be much easier with clans as well if the list is added to the game itself so you can just scroll to clan members and invite them.

Two Words

The point of doing this is that it is too hard for a non coordinated group. Getting matched with 5 other people who do not have headsets and so you have no chance of completing even a small percentage of the content is not fun.

Because without the option they can make the game harder.

Matchmade raids in WoW are NOT fun or challenging.
So let people matched together talk. Problem solved.

Vitor711

It's just for the high level, end game stuff. Not the whole game.

I think that's still stupid but people really need to start improving their reading comprehension.

BigDug13

I understand why the idea is getting negative feedback. But also keep in mind this is a multiple hour raid. What are the chances that nobody from your 6 man pickup team will bail on you halfway through your raid? If one or two people bail, everyone will start to bail because the raid is now not really doable. I'm betting you will get a 2-5% success rate of 6 people in a pick-up group actually sticking through it for the multiple hours it takes to complete. The other 95-98% of the time will be disappointment as you have to bail from the raid early because group members decided to leave.

So I get why this is bad, but ultimately, I think they want you to join a clan and find groups of like-minded people that way.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Stop telling us what's fun or not please. Come up with a new argument cause this one is silly.

Jito

Banned

Well a lot of people aren't going to be able to play them now because of this stupid decision, I don't have 5 other friends getting a PS4 and Destiny. I'd rather have the option for matchmaking even if it is hard than not have the option to play it at all.

Xater

I see. Yeah maybe on a GAF clan that would not be so tough to make a group. However, matchmaking should be there as an option anyway to make things easier. As long as people repeat them, even failing, they learn what to do and Im sure that a random group could accomplish them.

Also, Im not sure how those Raids are, but if it is like a dungeon on a MMORPG, then thats a pretty important parcel of the game to just be ignored.

Also everything else has matchmaking. So you don't need to look for anyone. In fact normal missions can just be done alone.

Raids are dungeons but really hard and long ones. Most MMOs don't have many of them when they launch. WoW only had a handful when they came out a lot of people don't even play them.

Pimpwerx

Meh. Their comments don't mean a whole lot about difficulty. Randoms generally sucked in strikes and public events, so they'd be even worse in a raid. Plus, if length is as stated, then randoms dropping out would be terrible. Regardless, I look forward to it. I just hope I don't have to do it too much, because I'm just not fond of having to chat that long. PEACE.

So Destiny's true end-game will be having to find several hours of uninterrupted free time.

...and unbalanced PvP.

Eh - sounds like every other sub-based MMORPG out there.

Of course, everyone keeps telling me Destiny is not a MMO.

....right. it WANTS to be an MMORPG. It just can't figure out how to do it yet.

Hopefully Activision-Blizzard steps in and shows Bungie the joy of Matchmaking for Dungeons and Raids.

Console gamers are a casual/mainstream bunch for the MOST part. It's mostly about pick-up and play gaming. Trying to transfer the more hardcore PC MMORPG crowd over to a console, with limited Social/UI options is a recipe for disaster.

Matchmaking must happen, for all co-op modes, or this will flop hard.

Well a lot of people aren't going to be able to play them now because of this stupid decision, I don't have 5 other friends getting a PS4 and Destiny. I'd rather have the option for matchmaking even if it is hard than not have the option to play it at all.
You need friends?
Just look here in GAF.
go read one of the hundred posts in this thread already explaining why in full detail
I wanted to know his personal thoughts on the matter

Two Words

I understand why the idea is getting negative feedback. But also keep in mind this is a multiple hour raid. What are the chances that nobody from your 6 man pickup team will bail on you halfway through your raid? If one or two people bail, everyone will start to bail because the raid is now not really doable. I'm betting you will get a 2-5% success rate of 6 people in a pick-up group actually sticking through it for the multiple hours it takes to complete. The other 95-98% of the time will be disappointment as you have to bail from the raid early because group members decided to leave.

So I get why this is bad, but ultimately, I think they want you to join a clan and find groups of like-minded people that way.
Why is a random person who jumps into a raid they know is long more likely to jump out versus a friend? I mean, I can suppose they are more likely to so e degree, but they're acting like matchmaking will somehow bring in people not wanting to actually complete the raid.

FtHTiny

It´s a risky move to make in the current time when gamers want to see every content with the least amount of effort.
I think it will cost them some sales for sure but i don´t think it´s a bad idea but only if it is really "hard".
If the raid is then so easy that randoms could have done it as well they will be in for a lot of complaints.

Aesthet1c

I don't have 5 friends that will be playing this. Hopefully DGAF US West will have some people willing to party up for this.

Karl Hawk

Banned

There's not an ounce of truth. While I played the beta, Nova Bomb was a great asset during the strike as a Warlock. And that's only the first subclass. Imagine what the second subclasses will be in the final game.

If the only thing you do in Destiny is shooting, I don't know how can you even complete a strike.

because one end game mode? the rest is very pick up and play

Its one part of several things. And if this is the main end game content for top gear its a pretty big thing to miss out on.

Limited content. PvP I'm not that interested in and now this. Can't say for sure till its out but my hype has kinda plummeted.

ultron87

Raids start at level 25. To reach levels past 20, you have to equip gear that has the Light stat on it. To get that gear you have to play high level strikes and Nightfall missions to get them either through drops or special currency accrued over time.

It's all in the article http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first

So you can do High Level Strikes and Nightfall missions with Matchmaking and be having a wonderful time working up your gear so you can finally raid and then oops! You don't have friends. No pinnacle of the content for you.

Duxxy3

Well that is a massive turn off.

No matchmaking, and multiple hours for a single event.

That's about as unfriendly to your average FPS'er as it gets.

Pastry

Banned
You need friends?
Just look here in GAF.

I wanted to know his personal thoughts on the matter

This is the issue. As of right now there will be no way to setup your group in the game, you are forced to find it outside the game. The clan system needs to be better if the raid is locked behind this wall. Until it is improved this is a bullshit decision.

That's not the issue. The issue is we'll have to use a message board to organize it. Doesn't seem like there will be a way to flag yourself as LFG to clan members in game. That sucks.

Join the chat and say: "Who wants to <x>?"

No problem with this decision, really. I'd only raid with people I know anyway, in BL2, was the same thing, in SWG, etc same thing.

2-3 hours of hard-ass shit means I need to know you can play.

BTM

Just have their be a room in the Tower where you can hook up with others for strikes/raids and such.

So let people matched together talk. Problem solved.

That doesn't solve the issues that will arise at all. You will not only need communication but also build coordination. You will need people that are invested in attempts and won't just quit after they've gotten a specific piece of loot or had too many failures for their taste.

Anyone that has played MMORPG's knows the pitfalls of grouping with random people for difficult content. The entire reason why WoW nerfs the difficulty of the Looking For Raid game option is to make it harder for failure to happen so that people won't bail or cost the rest of the group. It's also an easy way for them to claim that everyone can see all of the content.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
But how would you do that if there's no way to communicate with other players? Invite people at random? Have the community form a secret handshake system where dancing in a secluded corner of the tower signifies your willingness to join a raid?

The Raid(n) dance, I like it.

Honestly if people want to throw themselves at a raid with randoms let them. If the difficultly is where Bungie says it is whats the big deal?

how about a message:

Vault of Glass is a difficult mode that requires coordination with your team. Chat is required and the time to complete can be longer then normal content.

Bungie has done their part and if people want to unplug their mic go ahead. the raid will fail anyways.

won't people naturally try and find friends to get it done at that point? and there is always a chance that 6 randoms will have the time of their life.

This sounds like Halo 3's abhorrent restrictions on matchmaking in co-op. Fuck off with this shit Bungie, I don't always have 4 friends willing to jump into a match on a map that I want to play.

fb8355b541fb779de4216f4d953b1429e68f8c2_r.gif

Blueblur1

There's not an ounce of truth. While I played the beta, Nova Bomb was a great asset during the strike as a Warlock. And that's only the first subclass. Imagine what the second subclasses will be in the final game.

If the only thing you do in Destiny is shooting, I don't know how can you even complete a strike.

Lol shooting and supers is all there is. A different super isn't much of a big help.

Two Words

Dude, the classes according to the beta were not that different when it comes to roles. A lot of it came down to them dealing damage in different ways. That may expand to be a much greater difference in the full game, but the beta did not represent that.

Can't wait until 3 or 4 months after launch when DGAF numbers have fallen, will be fun watching them complain they can't get 6 players together for a raid.

Rockyrock

1 class throws a grenade and another class jumps in the air and throws a grenade.

Seems similar to me.

Top Bottom