• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rösti;198893414 said:
Well, obviously, considering Mr. Kimishima said that himself. Not with those words, but still.

Kimishima said they'd talk about it more at that point, not that they'd actually unveil the system before E3 as Orgen is saying. No need to be snippy with another insider who like you is probably just trying to be helpful and give folks something substantive to talk about other than fake pictures and word games. Orgen has a solid track record already based on the post someone linked earlier from him in 2012 regarding B/W 2. Not trying to give you a hard time but the tone of your reply here comes off as really catty and rather tacky.

MK_768

SOMETHING will be out in the open by then

Be it Nintendo or someone else spilling some beans

Maybe, maybe not.

Just saying that Nintendo doesn't have to "literally have to say" anything by April 27th. It's likely they will but that's besides the point lol.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Kimishima said they'd talk about it more at that point, not that they'd actually unveil the system before E3 as Orgen says. No need to be snippy with another insider who like you is probably just trying to be helpful and give folks something substantive to talk about other than fake pictures and word games. Orgen has a solid track record already based on the post someone linked earlier from him in 2012 regarding B/W 2.
I meant not to be snippy, not at all. I apologize if that's the impression you got. My comment was mainly directed towards the statement more NX information would come before E3, not the part about NX potentially being revealed prior to E3.

With all the mess coming out this year... VR, PS4.5 and Iterative XBOX, PC, Mobile and whatever else

Dude.. what will Nintendo bring to the table?

Knowing me Smash and Monster Hunter is always enough lol

Peltz

With all the mess coming out this year... VR, PS4.5 and Iterative XBOX, PC, Mobile and whatever else

PS 4.5 is coming out this year all of a sudden? I doubt it. We are very very far away from that.

Well, given the initial reactions to a possible PS4.5 this year, and assuming the same reactions for a XBOX Oneandahalf, i'd say that Nintendo has the "advantage" of showing a new system.

But they have to show something before E³ to start the hype.

I think it's the first time we have an "intermission" hardware with consoles ... so that's either going to light up interest ... or will backfire big time.
Depends on future compatibility for games, and the price of those devices ... and of course how the mass media is going to talk about them.

Definitely fake, Ninty usually goes with the plastic toy look, at most a little gloss applied like in recent times.

While the photo in question is fake in my opinion too, I have to disagree about the plastic toy look. While modern hardware definitely looks toy-like, there was a lot of "professional" and "sleek" designs - the original Nintendo 3DS, for example:

igranintendo1.jpg

And, for what it's worth, the original Nintendo DS looked like a "professional" device of its time, like PDAs or top-class mobile phones.

ds.jpg

Samemind

While the photo in question is fake in my opinion too, I have to disagree about the plastic toy look. While modern hardware definitely looks toy-like, there was a lot of "professional" and "sleek" designs - the original Nintendo 3DS, for example:

igranintendo1.jpg

And, for what it's worth, the original Nintendo DS looked like a "professional" device of its time, like PDAs or top-class mobile phones.

ds.jpg

I miss the phatty.

maxcriden

Hey now, don't get snippy with me

Don't take that tone with me, young man. You will get your NX news when you are good and ready.

Rösti;198895790 said:
Mr. Kimishima said this in the Q&A session of the Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2016:

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160203qa/03.html

Ah, that's right. Thank you. I couldn't recall the exact wording.

At the very least I expect NX to support all peripherals, addons and controllers they have made thus far.

Its not like it would be hard and since there is a rumored NX version of Smash 4 I can only imagine the GC adapter will be supported along with any other USB add on

Whether or not it would be difficult for them, if they want to do a clean break with previous HW, they might opt not to offer support for Wiimotes and the like. Expectations are a good way to help ensure disappointment.

Kimishima said they'd talk about it more at that point, not that they'd actually unveil the system before E3 as Orgen is saying. No need to be snippy with another insider who like you is probably just trying to be helpful and give folks something substantive to talk about other than fake pictures and word games. Orgen has a solid track record already based on the post someone linked earlier from him in 2012 regarding B/W 2. Not trying to give you a hard time but the tone of your reply here comes off as really catty and rather tacky.

Orgen isn't saying Nintendo will unveil the system before E3. Simply that they will provide some information about NX prior to E3. Just to clarify that. :)

Gabe3208

Banned
RHj6vzf.jpg

I've seen many places that say they will/will not sell NX this year. But I wonder does Nintendo, from a business perspective, really think it would be a good idea to NOT launch the NX this year? I mean, if the Wii U's production will soon cease for reasons such as "poorly selling software" and "lack of interest in the hardware," then wouldn't holding off on selling the NX until next year be a completely bad idea business/profit wise?

RHj6vzf.jpg

I've seen many places that say they will/will not sell NX this year. But I wonder does Nintendo, from a business perspective, really think it would be a good idea to NOT launch the NX this year? I mean, if the Wii U's production will soon cease for reasons such as "poorly selling software" and "lack of interest in the hardware," then wouldn't holding off on selling the NX until next year be a completely bad idea business/profit wise?
If the NX doesn't drop this year, nintendo is done. Total irrelevancy.

crpav

I miss the phatty.

As do I :( I still have the paper weight complete in box. Sad though is it's dead. Years back I brought it to work to play during lunch. Turned it on and all it would do would blink tan amber light and never turn on. Tried everything from charging it and any possible resets and nothing. Read at the time it probably was a blown fuse so stupid me took it apart and tried to "solder" it and I just made things worse so boxed ti up and stored it away. Miss it much as I got it at US launch.

As opposed to launching this year and getting destroyed by the PS4.5?

I doubt Nintendo or any other company is afraid of a PS 4.5.
IF the NX will be something really different and special it can be seeling well.
We can speculate about that when we finally know what the NX will be.

Banned
You don't cancel Wii U production before announcing a successor and release only three or so high profile games in the holiday period for the Wii U if you're not going to replace it this holiday.

Paper Mario and Zelda aren't going to sustain Nintendo like profits for holiday 2016.

I don't think the PS4.5 will launch this year. At the earliest, I'd say it launches, if it exists, in the Spring of next year. Sony already has a big, and expensive, piece of technology coming out this holiday. It feels like suicide for one of those devices if they were to both release in the same months.

Give the PSVR time to breath, then launch the PS4.5 with the VR box built-in the following year.

tr1p1ex

You don't cancel Wii U production before announcing a successor and release only three or so high profile games in the holiday period for the Wii U if you're not going to replace it this holiday.

Paper Mario and Zelda aren't going to sustain Nintendo like profits for holiday 2016.

You'd be on to something if that didn't sound like a typical holiday for Nintendo.

Mesoian

The 4.5 is more of a gamble for Sony, considering they run the risk of splitting their market multiple ways. Actively combating that with a console that looks like it's both a standalone and a mobile unit in the same device is a strong method of doing that (assuming that's what the NX even is).

gafneo

Banned
The 4.5 is more of a gamble for Sony, considering they run the risk of splitting their market multiple ways. Actively combating that with a console that looks like it's both a standalone and a mobile unit in the same device is a strong method of doing that (assuming that's what the NX even is).

More like PS 4.01
It will be just a 4k and HDD expansion. Only graphic hoes will truly need one.

Rösti;198905748 said:
I meant not to be snippy, not at all. I apologize if that's the impression you got. My comment was mainly directed towards the statement more NX information would come before E3, not the part about NX potentially being revealed prior to E3.

Fair enough, sorry if I misread your tone.

Mesoian

More like PS 4.01
It will be just a 4k and HDD expansion. Only graphic hoes will truly need one.

Which doesn't really change the fact that everyone making games on Sony's platform is going to have to decide whether or not they're going to support this stuff and put out 3 different versions of their game on what used to be a single platform. The consumers may get to say "whatever", developers are going to have a lot of brand new conversations about scalability for one platform.

There's a reason why this didn't work for Sega.

You are crazy if you think Nintendo won't have an official successor this year to replace a now dead console.

Or, more importantly, would give up an entire holiday season worth of revenue due to managing people's expectations with a new platform.

I'm not saying they WILL have more information out before e3, but they absolutely SHOULD. The last thing they want to do is Sega Saturn this thing.

SuperJay

Saw this twitter exchange with well known Nintendo fanartist and illustrator Zac Gorman and Sonic comic illustrator Tyson Heese.

ONfCX5d.png

A bit...worrying... :\

Mesoian

And obviously compatible with WiiU discs, otherwise it would be incredible stupid to keep releasing new games that close to NX release

It would be kind of crazy, yet awesome, if the NX had software BWC for both WiiU and Wii, which subsequently would have GCN BWC.

I don't see it happening though.

Servbot24

Banned
If the NX doesn't drop this year, nintendo is done. Total irrelevancy.

Eh, they're already irrelevant as a console maker anyways. Whatever they do needs to be quite disruptive if they want to make a comeback - I doubt being a few months later will make much difference in that regard. Although sooner is definitely better.

maxcriden

I believe Nintendo long ago debunked what you're describing, i.e. a hybrid.

maxcriden

Eh, they're already irrelevant as a console maker anyways. Whatever they do needs to be quite disruptive if they want to make a comeback - I doubt being a few months later will make much difference in that regard. Although sooner is definitely better.

The timing issue really comes down to releasing during a holiday season. That's always Nintendo's bread and butter sales period, so it would be potentially detrimental to launch a console during another period. A handheld is a different story, though if for some reason we are getting a handheld this year and no console, I would expect they'd try to make a holiday splash with it.

L Thammy

Last I recall, console revisions are typically there to keep sales from drying up, they're not the same as a new console generation. They can't offer a lot of exclusive stuff because they still want to profit from the audience that hasn't upgraded. So I don't think the PS4.5 will be a huge threat, or at least, it won't be a much bigger threat than the PS4 already is.

Sorry but I won't trust a Sonic comic artist on opinions about the NX

He's probably just trying to get revenge for Sega getting out of the hardware game and the Sonic Passion forums closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom