• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Sorc3r3r

Can the definitive model be like the n64 controller?
I mean,one handed motion control seems more effective and confortable.

Or there will be a way to hold the ds4 vertical with the touchpad in the range of the thumb?

i can't see the benefit to have a motion device usable only with two hands, it's a kinda a nonsense to me.

Monas

Hey guys, have you seen this?
732357845.gif
http://twitpic.com/c40yxh

Edit: GAF > internet > GAF

Should have looked thread history before posting. Sorry

Mr.Fresh

I hope when the different color controllers come out the have the screen to match, instead of every color having black on the front.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not feeling the idea of light-up symbols on the touchpad at all :/ If they were going to do that they might as well go the whole hog with a touchscreen.

I just want a simple, responsive trackpad with a nice 'click' (i.e. one that can be done easily but not unintentionally), something that I don't have to take my eyes off the TV to use.

Midas

If it actually is a touchscreen, it doesn't really matter if it's single touch - it's so small anyway. Can't see any use for multi touch. Well, pinching and stuff like that would've been nice of course.

Cyport

Did anyone use the PS3 keyboard add-on for DS3? I recall it had some sort of track pad feature over the actual keys, hard to explain but how was it?

Afrikan

Did anyone use the PS3 keyboard add-on for DS3? I recall it had some sort of track pad feature over the actual keys, hard to explain but how was it?

yup...i was thinking about that the other day regarding the new touchpad for this controller.

ibun

i hope its not a "you must dev' for this, its a feature and i need it to be used" type approach *thinks of lair, shudders; thinks of PSvita mandatory touchscreen ui shudders more* its ok if its shows me connected port number, list of gamers in a match, some stats (rather gimmicky like ammo count, game statistics).

some gimmicky feature like, imagine uncharted Drake: "need clean that coin, there is some hidden message" *prompt* press x repeatedly/use finger, and use see the finger cleaning the coin on the little screen and Drake from the side, afar doing the hand movement, after it is finished everything is back on big screen.

there is nothing about the "take your profile with you" rumour anymore going around. it would have been interessting taking my profile with me, link my pad with a friends ps4 and play a coop game.

pairing could have been done with NFC and Transferjet. Tap PS4, PS4 shows 8-9 digit code (up down left right X /\ [ ] O R1R2R3 L1L2L3...your pad is connected; Main home Console always linked, guests cannot change settings or use mainplayer profile)

So they're throwing the whole kitchen sink into the DS4. Will this thing still be $50 give or take? I like all the added features, but I wouldn't be too thrilled if that jacked up the price to 70 or 80 bucks.

So what does the "Share" button really do?

It will be cool if it brought me to a custom Facebook page instantly once pressed so I could play my favorite Zynga games. If so, this PS4 can really be the next entertainment hub of which everyone in my family could enjoy (convince to own).

My mom plays cityville, my gf plays candrycrush saga, I play tetris battle or hardcore games of the console. Brilliant move by Sony if this could be pulled off.

Ushae

Banned
Most seem to be cool with the extra features like touch control, move functionality and depth camera.

Watch when Durango's controller gets announced with similar (possibly more advanced features) the world will begin to end here. What happened to innovation being a good thing?

PS. I'm lovin this controller so far.

DBT85

EDIT: Welp, several hours late. That's what I get for going to bed.

The guy that posted the newer better image posted this on the GT forum

http://forums.gametrailers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1345970&start=20

The triggers are much more similar to the Xbox 360 'springy' triggers. That's a microphone (similar to VITA, Wii U) and that is also a headset port. Touch screen is resistive display, single touch, used for battery levels, friend lists, mini u.i blah blah. Taken a while ago, only had access to it via someone else.

StuBurns

Banned
Most seem to be cool with the extra features like touch control, move functionality and depth camera.

Watch when Durango's controller gets announced with similar (possibly more advanced features) the world will begin to end here. What happened to innovation being a good thing?

People are against it because it's gimmicky shit that will never get used. It'll be in half a dozen first party games, it'll be used badly in them, everyone will rip on it publicly, it'll never be used again, and all it did was add $5 to the system's cost and $10 to every new controller you buy for ten years.

I think a lot of people were worried that a focus on the inclusion of motion devices, etc. would lead to a move away from decent specs. Seems the specs in the PS4 are pretty good, and the controller keeps the same basic template to previous models with some additions. I can't see much to complain about so far.

With MS and kinect, I suppose people expect there to be a bigger emphasis on motion control in their overall strategy given the success of kinect this gen. This seems to be a somewhat sound prediction to me. But of course the specs still sound pretty good and I still expect there to me many games for the system that don't focus on kinect at all.

Nordell

Neo Member
I certainly hope the face buttons WON'T click like the vita buttons do. Pressing down a button on the vita is loud and I much prefer the more silent operation of the DS3.

I can hardly take a vita-poop cause the clicks are so loud and are heard through the door. :(

DBT85

Headset? not a 3.5mm headphone jack?

You can do both over one 3.5mm jack. Millions of people have them for their phones, Sony sells one for the Vita http://us.playstation.com/psvita/accessories/browse/psv-ear-headset.html

On that basis id be surprised if they did includea 3.5mm jack on the DS4 and it was only for headphones or only for mic, there is no need to restrict it to one or the other.

I certainly hope the face buttons WON'T click like the vita buttons do. Pressing down a button on the vita is loud and I much prefer the more silent operation of the DS3.

I can hardly take a vita-poop cause the clicks are so loud and are heard through the door. :(

The DS4 buttons will almost certainly be analogue so will probably be identical to the ones on the DS3.

Sid

ASIS

Wait until you're paying for a Kinect you don't want. The tigers come at night.
I honestly think it will be good for different types of games. Why is it so bad to include control methods that other actually enjoy? Why would you want songs to be unsung, or wine untasted?

DBT85

Did i miss something? New pictures? Info?

Latest image

Info from the guy that posted that image

http://forums.gametrailers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1345970&start=20

The triggers are much more similar to the Xbox 360 'springy' triggers. That's a microphone (similar to VITA, Wii U) and that is also a headset port. Touch screen is resistive display, single touch, used for battery levels, friend lists, mini u.i blah blah. Taken a while ago, only had access to it via someone else.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So what does the "Share" button really do?

It will be cool if it brought me to a custom Facebook page instantly once pressed so I could play my favorite Zynga games. If so, this PS4 can really be the next entertainment hub of which everyone in my family could enjoy (convince to own).

My mom plays cityville, my gf plays candrycrush saga, I play tetris battle or hardcore games of the console. Brilliant move by Sony if this could be pulled off.

From what rumors are saying, it captures the gameplay

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
So thats a microphone and not a speaker? I don't care how good your audio processing is all people are going to hear is CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK.

Top Bottom