• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

qH3s6Yq.gif

The controller is the console!

Bgamer90

Banned
Honestly how many people use the left analog stick to move? I absolutely hate it and only use it when developers make me.

I have both controllers and when I'm on ps3 I always use the dpad as its more precise and feels more natural. Sony would be stupid to make the analog stick the main input for movement when dpad has proven to work for generations.

On 360, the dpad is shit and not placed well ergonomiclly as the main movement input. The analog stick is the main input and encouraged to be used more but sometimes it feels like you're struggling to get the precision you want.

I think some 360 owners opinion is innocent on this because their dpad sucks and they've used analog for so long placed as the main input movement for your hands. To them, ds3 doesn't make sense cause they think we use analog but in a more awkward precision. You can't blame them for that.

How did you make it through this gen?

Dwingvatt

Banned
Errrrr yes.

Seems right to me.

Wrong.

Dual Shock controllers are a piece of shit.

This isn't the Durango controller thread

You don't say? The plot thickens.

Honestly how many people use the left analog stick to move? I absolutely hate it and only use it when developers make me.

I have both controllers and when I'm on ps3 I always use the dpad as its more precise and feels more natural. Sony would be stupid to make the analog stick the main input for movement when dpad has proven to work for generations.

On 360, the dpad is shit and not placed well ergonomiclly as the main movement input. The analog stick is the main input and encouraged to be used more but sometimes it feels like you're struggling to get the precision you want.

I think some 360 owners opinion is innocent on this because their dpad sucks and they've used analog for so long placed as the main input movement for your hands. To them, ds3 doesn't make sense cause they think we use analog but in a more awkward precision. You can't blame them for that.

LOL WTF

Someone think they are still in the NES days.

waypoetic

Banned
You don't say? The plot thickens

I do, junior. It's pretty tiresome when people go in to PS4-threads and start posting shit like "lol the sticks are all wrong!".

Check it out: thirdparty controllers exists. Nyko makes some decent ones (with the 360 stick placement).

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
If it is a 2 point-multi-touch pad, what kind of gestures could you do on it?

On my Laptop I can scroll down-up with two fingers swiping up-down, zoom in-out with two fingers swiping towards or away from each other.
I can also simulate left-right mouse klick pressing on the touchpad with one finger or two.

Anything else ?

meta4

I do, junior. It's pretty tiresome when people go in to PS4-threads and start posting shit like "lol the sticks are all wrong!".

Check it out: thirdparty controllers exists. Nyko makes some decent ones (with the 360 stick placement).

This. They better not make it asymmetric. Those who want the stick position to change can buy a new third party controller or just not buy the console. I will be super pissed if they change the stick layout.

KillGore

So I had a dream about the PS4 controller (like a few other Gaffers have). It was a screen and not a touchpad and it was pretty nice to be honest.

Dwingvatt

Banned
I do, junior.

I bet it makes you feel like a big man calling someone junior.

It's pretty tiresome when people go in to PS4-threads and start posting shit like "lol the sticks are all wrong!".

But I didn't post that the stick are all wrong, I just didn't agree with someone's opinion.

I don't buy 3rd party controllers since 99% of them are pretty horrible. I stick with 1st party controllers. I've adapted to the Dual Shock controllers but that doesn't mean they aren't crap.

"HOW DARE SOMEBODY HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION TO ME!"

Oh my, sorry if I hurt your feelings. How dare I do something like that.

waypoetic

Banned
I bet it makes you feel like a big man calling someone junior.

But I didn't post that the stick are all wrong, I just didn't agree with someone's opinion.

I don't buy 3rd party controllers since 99% of them are pretty horrible. I stick with 1st party controllers. I've adapted to the Dual Shock controllers but that doesn't mean they aren't crap.

Oh my, sorry if I hurt your feelings. How dare I do something like that.

Junior member ;)

Nyko's controllers are pretty good, you should atleast give 'em a try - http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Raven+(Alternative)

Dwingvatt

Banned
There is a difference between not agreeing with someone, and flat out saying that they are wrong.

Well if you want to get technical, technically I didn't say "You are wrong". I just said "Wrong" which can also mean:

"I disagree with their opinion."
"I think your opinion is wrong"

Junior member ;)

I've already responded to that.

Nyko's controllers are pretty good, you should atleast give 'em a try - http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Raven+(Alternative)

Sorry but bad experiences with 3rd party controllers have resulted in me never buying another one again. Unless they are by Sega.

Why are people calling the junior member a junior like he made a junior mistake?

And that nyko controller looks pretty cool. Howis the quality being a 3rd party and all?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm pretty sure I'm referring to him calling me a junior member. My point is why mention it? So no need for you to be a cheerleader.

I'm not a woman, so I don't wear knickers.

I don't know if you're aware, but on NeoGAF if you get banned as a Junior Member, it's an automatic permban. This is to keep Junior Members from shitting up threads.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member

His opinion is just as valid as yours. There are a lot of Playstation fans and potential PS4 consumers that prefer one style of thumbstick placement over the other.

If anything, this thread has highlighted a demand for two SKU's of the PS4 controller. Why not have the standard symmetrical controller bundled with the console and then have a first party 'Pro' version of the controller available at retail (with the asymmetrical layout)?

The borderline fanatacism for symmetrical thumbsticks in this thread and immediate disdain for anything different is concerning. It's PS4 announcement week folks. Cheer up.

waypoetic

Banned
His opinion is just as valid as yours. There are a lot of Playstation fans and potential PS4 consumers that prefer one style of thumbstick placement over the other.

If anything, this thread has highlighted a demand for two SKU's of the PS4 controller. Why not have the standard symmetrical controller bundled with the console and then have a first party 'Pro' version of the controller available at retail (with the asymmetrical layout)?

The borderline fanatacism for symmetrical thumbsticks in this thread and immediate disdain for anything different is concerning. It's PS4 announcement week folks. Cheer up.

... Made by a thirdparty. Sony won't make one, that's for sure.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The borderline fanatacism for symmetrical thumbsticks in this thread and immediate disdain for anything different is concerning.

Weird, I'd say there are way more asymmetrical fanatics out there who'd never accept a symmetrical layout.

DBT85

Why not have the standard symmetrical controller bundled with the console and then have a first party 'Pro' version of the controller available at retail (with the asymmetrical layout)?

Would asymmetrical fans be happy if symmetric fans kept going into the eventual Durango controller thread and whining that the established layout isn't changing since we all know that it wont?

Would Xbox fans be happy to see a "pro" controller on sale that features symmetrical sticks? Suggesting that the bundled one isn't a pro controller?

Both layouts are synonymous with their respective brands, to expect either to offer the other at this stage, certainly as the main controller, is silly. I can see neither offering a pad with the other layout.

So far only Nintendo radically change the controller every time a new machine launches. MS and Sony have only ever added modifications to their standard design.

I don't know if you're aware, but on NeoGAF if you get banned as a Junior Member, it's an automatic permban. This is to keep Junior Members from shitting up threads.
Always wondered why some juniors feel the need to insult to prove their point, but it does lead to some hilarious bans.

I love the dualshock. I have an Xbox 360 controller for PC gaming but the dualshock just feels better for me.

spekkeh

Banned
Weird, I'd say there are way more asymmetrical fanatics out there who'd never accept a symmetrical layout.

Asymmetric/symmetric doesn't interest me at all, as long as the movement stick is placed in the primary position. My thumbs are not big, they are tiny, I'm identical hand twins with my wife who also has small hands. I have to reach over to get to the playstation stick placement, which is uncomfortable (and imprecise) for long stretches of time. The 'third party controller' is kind of a moot point because you can't buy a PS4 without an official controller. I would be very much on board with two options.

I'd argue that Sony hasn't really made any modifications at all.

???

Since the original digital only PS1 controller, sony added:

Dual analog sticks (dualshock 1)
Rumble (dualshock 1)
shorter "arms" (dualshock 2)
analog buttons (dualshock 2)
built in battery/usb charging (dualshock 3)
bluetooth pairing (dualshock 3)
triggers at L2/R2 (dualshock 3)
motion gyros (dualshock 3)
PS button (dualshock 3)

That's a hell of a lot of modifications. the original PS controller is basically unusable compared to the current model.

waypoetic

Banned
Would asymmetrical fans be happy if symmetric fans kept going into the eventual Durango controller thread and whining that the established layout isn't changing since we all know that it wont?

Would Xbox fans be happy to see a "pro" controller on sale that features symmetrical sticks? Suggesting that the bundled one isn't a pro controller?

Both layouts are synonymous with their respective brands, to expect either to offer the other at this stage, certainly as the main controller, is silly. I can see neither offering a pad with the other layout.

^ This.

Ban the folks that keep on doing the "asymmetric > symmetric" in this thread, please.

spekkeh

Banned

Erm, Sony went from the initial PS pad to dualshock, to boomerang, which they hastily retracted when people started turning it into a meme, to sixaxis to move. Switching the position of the left thumbstick with the d-pad seems like one of the minor things to do.

Dwingvatt

Banned
Always wondered why some juniors feel the need to insult to prove their point, but it does lead to some hilarious bans.

I didn't insult anyone thou unless not agreeing with someone equals insulting them. I was called a junior because someone didn't like my opinion.

All I merely said was I don't like the Dual Shock controllers because I think they are quite bad especially where the stick placement is. I'm also not a fan of the d-pad which is why I had to get my cousin to build me an arcade stick for my PS3 and 360.

waypoetic

Banned
Erm, Sony went from the initial PS pad to dualshock, to boomerang, which they hastily retracted when people started turning it into a meme, to sixaxis to move. Switching the position of the left thumbstick with the d-pad seems like one of the minor things to do.

The Move isn't a Dualshock. It's not even the default controller and it will never be. The "boomerang" controller wasn't retracted because of some stupid meme and alot of us wanted that controller actually.

DBT85

Original PS pad to dualshock was a modification, the buttons and shape stayed the same, they added analogue and rumble.

Boomerang never released as the world cried out that it was hideous and crap before ever getting to use it. Did Sony change their mind because of that backlash or because internally they felt a DS3 was the better option?

Sixaxis is a Dualshock with internal sensors, no rumble and no strong, the shape and buttons again did not change. Then they added rumble back in after that patent issue they had.

PS Move is not a replacement for the DS, it's a motion controller to sit alongside it.

The PlayStation controller has barely changed in shape and layout since launch 20 years ago. only modifications have been made. The dpad and face buttons have not changed apart from to become analogue for the face buttons. The position of the sticks has remained the same since the DS was first created, the position of the shoulder buttons has remained the same since launch, they just got modified slightly.

The shape and layout of the PlayStation controller IS PlayStation. Just like the PS logo is.

Salacious Crumb

You must not play many 3D games, I don't think I can name even one on PS3 that lets you move with the Dpad.

EDIT oops this post is older than I realized.

Top Bottom